HAL's new online booking system?

jaguarstyper

With the change in HAL's bring-onboard wine policy now past history, it would seem that people's comments to HAL about the site will ensure continuing employ for Christine Ferris of the Office of the President ... lots of responses for her to assemble from pre-authorized paragraphs.:rolleyes:

Edited by pms4104

With the change in HAL's bring-onboard wine policy now past history, it would seem that people's comments to HAL about the site will ensure continuing employ for Christine Ferris of the Office of the President ... lots of responses for her to assemble from pre-authorized paragraphs.:rolleyes:

Oh, Christine Ferris, not my fav HAL person. I think she may actually write some of those letters herself!

I got what was an almost hostile letter from her several years ago in reply to a basic (and very polite) question about a just-completed cruise. I could never understand why HAL antagonizes their customers with people like her.

Oh, Christine Ferris, not my fav HAL person. I think she may actually write some of those letters herself!

I got what was an almost hostile letter from her several years ago in reply to a basic (and very polite) question about a just-completed cruise. I could never understand why HAL antagonizes their customers with people like her.

Yes, I also received insulting and condescending letters from her when I contacted HAL about an emotional support/service animal running amok, off-leash in elevators and hallways, perched on a barstool and drooling on the bar, etc ...basically, she was "sorry I did not understand the role of service animals.". Really?

Edited by pms4104

Has anyone been able to book the Explore4 option online with the new system? I picked an applicable sailing, but nowhere does it state that Explore4 is attached or do you have the ability to put in a 50% deposit amount. There doesn't seem to be any place to input the promo code anymore. I guess that you get the promo automatically if you choose an applicable sailing and you just need to call up and have it applied, but that doesn't help with the 50% deposit offer.

I guess they just force you to call up.

Just used it to book a March 2016 cruise on the Volendam, and the process could not have been simpler or more painless.

I, for one, like it. :)

James, judging by the comments on this thread and Facebook, you may be the only one who likes it. :D Well, I would imagine the people who designed it are very proud of their work, too. I won't go as far as to say I hate it, but I find it very difficult to like. I guess if you know exactly what you want, its just fine for entering a booking. But if you're trying to do any sort of "window shopping" and making comparisons, its pretty dreadful.

Yes, I also received insulting and condescending letters from her when I contacted HAL about an emotional support/service animal running amok, off-leash in elevators and hallways, perched on a barstool and drooling on the bar, etc ...basically, she was "sorry I did not understand the role of service animals.". Really?

That sounds about right for her.

Do these people in the President's Office have no supervision, no basic training in customer service?

Obviously they have some "scripts" to use, but do vary the replies, as with your letter.

They can be a very poor addition to HAL"s famed Signature of Excellence boast.

That sounds about right for her.

Do these people in the President's Office have no supervision, no basic training in customer service?

Obviously they have some "scripts" to use, but do vary the replies, as with your letter.

They can be a very poor addition to HAL"s famed Signature of Excellence boast.

May I say a positive word about Ms. Ferris?

I have had a few contacts with the President's Office over the years and have received letters from her. Her responses have always been gracious and polite and usually address in a positive manner whatever question or comment I had when I wrote Mr. Kruse.

Just used it to book a March 2016 cruise on the Volendam, and the process could not have been simpler or more painless.

there's always somebody..glad you like it so much ..you appear to be in the minority or..

if you don't care where you are onboard or what Category you are in and Book a Guarantee in any Cabin Category I guess it would be as e-z as the old site.. I for one want to know where I''ll be onboard .. what price I am paying.. especially on a long cruise...

not a nice person.. if she even exists..

I'm sure I'd would be ok with it if all I wanted to was to book a cruise. However, I already have a cruise booked, and I want to be able to watch prices over time, which I cannot do without putting in all of the information. Granted, I may be able to get a cabin price for 1st and 2nd passengers after some effort, but, so far, I cannot get to the rate for a 3rd and 4th passenger unless I go through the entire booking process. So, I just may have to call HAL every now and then and tie up one of their phone persons to do so. Hmmmm, what if we all did that every day . . . . Ok, maybe some of us have better things to do, but it might be just the kick in the butt they need to make pricing more visible for us!

How do I find out the price of the cruise for the 3rd person (our son) without going through the entire booking process? Is it really necessary to take the final total price HAL gives you and then subtract the cost of the cruise plus taxes, port fees etc for the 1st and second person from the final total price.

I have had a few contacts with the President's Office over the years and have received letters from her. Her responses have always been gracious and polite and usually address in a positive manner whatever question or comment I had when I wrote Mr. Kruse.

Glad to hear this.

That has been my experience also. However, I have my doubts as to whether she is a real person. The letters are usually of the form variety.

Can someone tell me what this site is? I am also finding the new HAL site rather cumbersome.

I could if it was allowed here. You will have to experiment by Googling cruises and try a few of the sites. Not only will you save money, a number of them are MUCH easier to navigate. The half-hour you spend checking some of the larger agencies out will be well rewarded.

GOod morning,

Christine Ferris is a real person and I've had the pleasure of cruising with her on the Oosterdam. She's a lovely person and fun to be around. She is a personal assistant to Mr. Kruse. She most definitely exists! :)

Karen

GOod morning,

Christine Ferris is a real person and I've had the pleasure of cruising with her on the Oosterdam. She's a lovely person and fun to be around. She is a personal assistant to Mr. Kruse. She most definitely exists! :)

Karen

she may be nice in person--which I doubt.. but she is not nice when she hides behind a 'form letter'

below---one of the replies I got to an email from HAL.. how to do a 'tap dance' or is it 'smoke and mirrors' or is it just 'smoozing' people .. whatever .. bottomline HAL could care less..

I will continue to voice my displeasure with their new antiquated website

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our new booking process on our website.

We assure you that guest feedback is taken very seriously, both criticisms and compliments, as this helps us to identify and address any areas where we may continue to grow and improve. Our web development team has been made aware of our websites issues and are diligently working on having it repaired to meet our guest's standards.

Holland America Line is confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations. We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 140 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line.

Kind Regards,

<snip>Holland America Line is confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations. We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 140 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line.

Kind Regards,

Holland America has not surpassed a single one of my expectations in many, many years. They barely meet most of them. The new website, as it is now, falls miles short of my expectations. Just sayin' Edited by jaguarstyper

Holland America has not surpassed a single one of my expectations in many, many years. They barely meet most of them. The new website, as it is now, falls miles short of my expectations. Just sayin'

Not knowing what your expectations are, I respect your views.

I embarked my January, 2014 7 day cruise aboard the Westerdam with a "ho-hum, very routine Caribbean itinerary" attitude, but on a ship I had not sailed and a chance to get out of the terrible Winter weather we were having. In short, my expectations were not very high.

This cruise was one of the best cruises I have enjoyed in all respects, except for the Pinnacle Grill! It did exceed my expectations by a large measure. And, the cruise again makes me wonder why my PG experience will be any better than it was the last time. (Not a PG fan, as one ought to be able to tell.)

Edited by rkacruiser

I definitely do not like it. I tried to price compare but found if you clicked Neptune suites for example, it would not tell you if it was a category SA, SB or SC. Also you had go decide where on the ship you wanted to be. For some of us, the type of cabin, obstructed view or not, etc is more important than fore, aft or mid ship.

Like others have said, it appears they are trying to make it more difficult to comparison shop.