HAL's new online booking system?

jaguarstyper

I'm giving up too! Bad timing for me because I have one cruise booked direct with HAL and was planning on doing all my own directly with them in the future. Now I have to re-think that plan.:(

You can still book directly with HAL, if you want. But just use the cruise websites for research and dummy bookings to get the info you need.

I have given up with HAL's booking site. Some cruise brokers and travel agent sites have much better websites than HAL for finding HAL cruise pricing, cabins, cabin categories, deck plans.

The travel agent with whom I deal who is part of a very well known national bricks-n-mortar agency has assured me that "You are not bothering me" when I am asking her for information that used to be able to obtained on the HAL web site.

I have been watching a cruise for a couple of months now pondering on whether I should book it. I logged on and the new system in place is just an exercise in frustration. What were they thinking? I am looking at booking a triple and to have to enter all our details before getting a price is ridiculous.

I am in Australia so I don't even know what the big sites are to use to get prices. Plus I think Holland America puts restrictions on us and we have to book directly with them or though more expensive local travel agents.

I have been watching a cruise for a couple of months now pondering on whether I should book it. I logged on and the new system in place is just an exercise in frustration. What were they thinking? I am looking at booking a triple and to have to enter all our details before getting a price is ridiculous.

I am in Australia so I don't even know what the big sites are to use to get prices. Plus I think Holland America puts restrictions on us and we have to book directly with them or though more expensive local travel agents.

I pay the same with an agent in Melbourne as I would online with HAL Australia. I have four cruises booked but I can only see one when logged on. I could see them all a couple of weeks ago.

I too am frustrated with the HAL website, as is our local Travel Agent.

Sent HAL an e-mail asking how to access room category prices, without having to enter all the personal details.

Have been told that they are working on the website.

At present, I am doubting that HAL actually wants people to book a cruise on their ships.

...At present, I am doubting that HAL actually wants people to book a cruise on their ships.

My guess is that by emulating the Carnival site, HAL wants to make it easiest to book guarantees, not individual cabins, and place pax wherever it is most convenient for them.

Carnival makes it very easy (one click on the cabin choice page) to select "guarantee", and difficult (multiple clicks that expect you to already know the deck plan) to select an actual cabin. I am sorry to see HAL moving in this direction.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I have found that the princess site has actually improved recently. At least I don't have to enter all our details to check a price.

A bit OT: Yes, I find it the most user-friendly of all cruise line sites that I frequent. Be sure to sign in, though, if you are a past passenger. You will often get better rates than those that show if you don't sign in.

I have found that the princess site has actually improved recently. At least I don't have to enter all our details to check a price.

Interesting, and others have said the same ( that they have had to log in).

That has not been my experience on my windows 8 machine. I am not logged in and can get prices. Have you just skipped putting your info in? I am only entering number of pax then selecting cabin.

Totals with tax and fees are listed but not totaled. Open Cabins are color coded, probably by type and clicking on them gives price.

To change locations in the ship use that tab and click/tap into that section. To change cabin type, use the tab to get there and select cabin type.

I rather like the design but totals and cabin types (a,b,c) need to be added.

And the summary showing cost of each category. An indication on the ship schematic from above should indicate the bow.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I registered and logged in and at least it kept my details recorded so I could go back and change staterooms and categories so as to price compare. I still think it needs work and I will email my opinion to add to others voices of frustration and hopefully they will change it.

I just played around with it for an hour, and managed to get pricing two ways for the same cruise - with Mariner number, and without. (You need pen and paper to keep track of pricing). For the first time ever, there was a break for being a Mariner - $100 less. I still hate the new system, though.

I just played around with it for an hour, and managed to get pricing two ways for the same cruise - with Mariner number, and without. (You need pen and paper to keep track of pricing). For the first time ever, there was a break for being a Mariner - $100 less. I still hate the new system, though.

The price break for Mariners depends largely on the cruise you are trying to book. Some cruises give Mariners good discounts, some give marginal discounts and some have no discounts.

The price break for Mariners depends largely on the cruise you are trying to book. Some cruises give Mariners good discounts, some give marginal discounts and some have no discounts.

True. But previously I have found the price actually went UP when I added my mariner number.:(

That has not been my experience on my windows 8 machine. I am not logged in and can get prices. Have you just skipped putting your info in? I am only entering number of pax then selecting cabin.

Totals with tax and fees are listed but not totaled.

This is what I get if I try to bypass putting in information.

imagejpg1_zpsdbfae383.jpg

I also cannot get prices.

Count me in as a HAL fan who just sent a letter of complaint to Guest Relations concerning the website. I have seldom written complaints to companies, because I know they are going to do what they please and I have no voice in the matter. Complaining also raises my blood pressure and takes me out of my comfort zone, so I just sent a brief note which reads:

Dear Guest Relations:

Your new online booking site is dreadful, not user friendly and a total determent to future bookings. You are turning Hal regulars away from Holland America. We are choosing other cruise lines. I have two upcoming cruises booked with HAL. But, I recently booked a Celebrity Cruise for Fall of 2016 instead of HAL.

My opinion means little to you, but I know dozens of HAL regulars who are being turned off by Holland America these days. It is unfortunate and should not be this way.

I don't see things improving soon with Holland America. A pity.

Edited by Chelly

Totals with tax and fees are listed but not totaled. Open Cabins are color coded, probably by type and clicking on them gives price.

To change locations in the ship use that tab and click/tap into that section. To change cabin type, use the tab to get there and select cabin type.

I rather like the design but totals and cabin types (a,b,c) need to be added.

And the summary showing cost of each category. An indication on the ship schematic from above should indicate the bow.

My experience has been the same as yours. I do not fill out anything except number of pax, then start selecting cabin type. I am only running Windows 7. Not knowing what category the cabins are is driving me nuts! Now I'm looking and I do not see any "KEY" to the symbols on the room numbers. This could cause some campers who book on-line to be very unhappy in the future. (Steel rail, no tub, no view, etc.) Does anyone else see a symbol key?

The absolute only way I can even try to look at current or future bookings is to have another window open with the HAL deck plan for that ship in front of me.

This is what I get if I try to bypass putting in information.

imagejpg1_zpsdbfae383.jpg

I also cannot get prices.

Prices are before you get to that page. Prices are under the drop-down box with cabin number in it. It is per person price, and you have to look at the next line to get taxes and port fees. This is not a task to do without a calculator. :eek:

Edited by Linda&Vern

Prices are before you get to that page. Prices are under the drop-down box with cabin number in it. It is per person price, and you have to look at the next line to get taxes and port fees. This is not a task to do without a calculator. :eek:[/FONT]

You got that right. It's really cumbersome - whereas before the total was there, port taxes first and then price per person. PITA.

I do like all cabins showing (assuming they really are) but the rest is tedious.

Prices are before you get to that page. Prices are under the drop-down box with cabin number in it. It is per person price, and you have to look at the next line to get taxes and port fees. This is not a task to do without a calculator. :eek:

I will reluctantly return to the HAL site, & check if that is available here.

Do you mean that the prices are available in a drop down box on the page with the photos of the cabin categories?

All I can see to click on is "View Stateroom details" and

"Stateroom Options", and "know the stateroom you want?"

When I enter a stateroom number, and the room is available it immediately opens to the page for Bed Arrangement and Dining preference.

There is no drop down box below the cabin number.

I will reluctantly return to the HAL site, & check if that is available here.

It's to the right of the deck plan on the page where you select the cabin. It has the cabin number (that is the drop-down box) and underneath is the price per person. Then you have to add the taxes etc which you will find under the price. Get your handy calculator and add it up, then times 2. And this is progress?:rolleyes: