This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

And we happily take your place, since we won't sail when we can't smoke on our balcony. I can't even get a last minute deal anymore, because all the balconies and suites are sold out!!

Are you kidding me?! You should see the number of emails I am getting these days on last minute screaming deals on balcony cabins! In the past week it has been for repositioning, coastals and Alaska cruises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanandjoe View Post

No geographical issue: albingirl has booked NCL instead of HAL because of the balcony smoking issue.

The poster may have various likes and dislikes with HAL, but when they respond to this specific statement: "We were on the Westerdam recently.Had smokers right below us -- they each had their own ash tray." with this remark:

"And this is exactly why I have booked yet another Norwegian cruise. I finally decided to put my money where my mouth is. I like balconies; I just don't like the smoking neighbors." a reasonable person, taking her at her word, must conclude that the catalyst for her decision was precisely the balcony smoking issue alone.

Thank you. It was. All other things aside, this is what broke the camel's back, so to speak.

And we happily take your place, since we won't sail when we can't smoke on our balcony. I can't even get a last minute deal anymore, because all the balconies and suites are sold out!!

LOL. You're apparently looking in the wrong spot. Zuiderdam 12 night Baltic is going for $1,299 for a balcony right now British Isles for the same price. $1,499 for a suite on the Baltic Cruise.

Apparently some are incurring heartburn due the length of this thread and believe posters are simply beating a "dead horse", to no avail. I disagree. Things do change you know. Some of us keep a eye on this thread in the unlikely event HAL may alter their smoking policy. There were quite a few of us four star Mariners who didn't agree with HAL being the only "game in town" for balcony smoking but who had accumulated a few perks with HAL and hated to lose them.

A number of weeks back there was discussion here whether or not this thread was worthwhile. It was noted that originally there was a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not, or if so when, HAL would follow the rest of the majors and prohibit balcony smoking. Then there was the question as to various consequences of this new twist in cruise line smoking policies. For instance, whether or not smokers from other lines would in significant numbers switch over to HAL. Back then some commented they had doubts as to there being any flood of new guests to HAL just because of the smoking issue, since there was little evidence of smokers changing allegiances.-----Conversely, how many faithful were going to abandon booking with HAL due to their relatively lenient balcony smoking policy.

Dead horses aside, some of us pointed out back then that it was likely going to take some time to ferret all this out and for ramifications to manifest. A thread like this provides an excellent medium for most to achieve a comprehension of the pertinent circumstances and a means to dialogue the matter.

It appears to me two questions have for the most part been proven out by the myriad of posts herein. 1. It looks like HAL is in no hurry to significantly alter smoking procedures on its ships. 2. Now there is considerable evidence that quite a number of smokers have switched to HAL. Before this all began demographics suggested that approximately 8% of HAL's guests were smokers. It has got to be considerably more than that today.

Since the smoking rules changed on the other lines we have gone to oceanview rooms, why pay for a balcony. I have decided to try another HAL this coming cruise just so my DH can smoke on the balcony. I do not smoke but I enjoy the balconies so it's a hardship on me as well when I don't have one. Thanks for this thread.

Apparently some are incurring heartburn due the length of this thread and believe posters are simply beating a "dead horse", to no avail. I disagree. Things do change you know. Some of us keep a eye on this thread in the unlikely event HAL may alter their smoking policy. There were quite a few of us four star Mariners who didn't agree with HAL being the only "game in town" for balcony smoking but who had accumulated a few perks with HAL and hated to lose them.

A number of weeks back there was discussion here whether or not this thread was worthwhile. It was noted that originally there was a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not, or if so when, HAL would follow the rest of the majors and prohibit balcony smoking. Then there was the question as to various consequences of this new twist in cruise line smoking policies. For instance, whether or not smokers from other lines would in significant numbers switch over to HAL. Back then some commented they had doubts as to there being any flood of new guests to HAL just because of the smoking issue, since there was little evidence of smokers changing allegiances.-----Conversely, how many faithful were going to abandon booking with HAL due to their relatively lenient balcony smoking policy.

Dead horses aside, some of us pointed out back then that it was likely going to take some time to ferret all this out and for ramifications to manifest. A thread like this provides an excellent medium for most to achieve a comprehension of the pertinent circumstances and a means to dialogue the matter.

It appears to me two questions have for the most part been proven out by the myriad of posts herein. 1. It looks like HAL is in no hurry to significantly alter smoking procedures on its ships. 2. Now there is considerable evidence that quite a number of smokers have switched to HAL. Before this all began demographics suggested that approximately 8% of HAL's guests were smokers. It has got to be considerably more than that today.

Kennicott does a good job of summarizing and giving analysis to this very long and controversial "smoking thread." I would agree that HAL is in no hurry to change its current smoking policy. As more eloquent posters have stated, HAL is a successful business. It has found a niche in the very crowded cruise marketplace, and has provided good value for Carnival Corporation Shareholders. If HAL continues to meet the needs of a highly loyal customer base, as well as meeting the needs of "smokers", it will continue to provide healthy profit for shareholders. There is really no need to change.

Kennicott does a good job of summarizing and giving analysis to this very long and controversial "smoking thread." I would agree that HAL is in no hurry to change its current smoking policy. As more eloquent posters have stated, HAL is a successful business. It has found a niche in the very crowded cruise marketplace, and has provided good value for Carnival Corporation Shareholders. If HAL continues to meet the needs of a highly loyal customer base, as well as meeting the needs of "smokers", it will continue to provide healthy profit for shareholders. There is really no need to change.

Like it or not, this is the crux of the issue.

Um, cruising and cruising issues ARE first world problems. Don't see too many people from third world countries cruising.:rolleyes:

How come we only hear about "first world" and "third world" countries?

What ever happened to "second world" countries???:D

Continue to be naughty kiddies and Host Walt is going to be forced to put the pad lock back on our good thread here. Third world countries have nothing to do with HAL's on board smoking predicament.

. . . and what a shame that would be.

Well the solution is for HAL to make a deck of balconies "smoking" or a side ie; port or starboard on deck for example 8. If smokers truly just book a balcony cabin to be able to smoke unlike on other cruise lines they shouldn't mind where it is.

Or do smokers want it all - balcony choice, location, deck and to be able to smoke? While someone who smokes doesn't have the same choice balcony choice, location, deck and smoke free??

You see the dilemma with freedom - it's there for some of the people some of the time - never all the people all the time .........

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well the solution is for HAL to make a deck of balconies "smoking" or a side ie; port or starboard on deck for example 8. If smokers truly just book a balcony cabin to be able to smoke unlike on other cruise lines they shouldn't mind where it is.

Or do smokers want it all - balcony choice, location, deck and to be able to smoke? While someone who smokes doesn't have the same choice balcony choice, location, deck and smoke free??

You see the dilemma with freedom - it's there for some of the people some of the time - never all the people all the time .........

It's not smokers wanting it all, it's nonsmokers not wanting ANYONE smoking, even if it doesn't affect them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Additionally, I have suggested what you said above, having certain cabins (maybe on one side or closer to the back or both) be smoking only. The only response I have had from this group is that it has been tried and didn't work with another cruise line and suggest that I go back within this same thread to find out the information. Well, I have been through this thread no less than 5 times and STILL have yet to find this elusive reference.

But this also brings up the question, why NOT leave one cruise line that will allow smoking on balconies? There are no others, period! I can understand that some have frequent cruising points on HAL and they really don't want to lose them by moving to another cruise line. But they had to have acquired them with the exact same smoking policy in place.

In my prior post, I referenced how non-smokers don't want ANYONE to smoke, even if it doesn't affect them whatsoever. Where I live, in the Commonwealth of Virginia, they have passed strict laws about smoking (or not) in restaurants and/or bars. It still allows for smoking, but it has to be a completely separate section with it's own ventilation system. There is a bar we frequent, who adheres to this law. But there are many people in my community who, mind you, have NEVER even set foot in this place, want it closed because it allows smoking. Why? I mean if it has no effect on someone, why are they imposing their opinions on those of us that freely chose to do something?

While this thread does bring up some good discussion, it seems the overall consensus is that it is a "When will HAL become a non-smoking cruise line" thread. Anyone with a dissenting view is bashed.

Moderator (Walt), if you feel the need to delete this post, could you at least prune the off topic portion (the last paragraph). It all, however, seems relevant to the title of the thread though.

And we all know that the smoke from that balcony will never travel to other non-smoking parts of the ship nor will it be permitted to travel to any other balcony or part of the ship:D

And we all know that the smoke from that balcony will never travel to other non-smoking parts of the ship nor will it be permitted to travel to any other balcony or part of the ship:D

Smoke from a starboard balcony making it round to a port balcony in a 20 knot wind - a good trick if you can do it - and a re-write of the laws of physics to boot.

IMO it is unreasonable for non-smokers to insist that no one smoke any time or any place.

Sure, tobacco smoke does alter the scent of smokers' clothing. But so does perfume. And some that I personally find very offensive, Shalimar being one. There are some places and homes in the US that ban the wearing of any scent whatsoever! Would I insist that Shalimar be banned? Of course not. Nor would I make uncomfortable in my home any guest who wore it.

I don't like alcohol. Don't like the taste, the smell, or the effect it has on behavior. My mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was but 15. Would I insist that alcohol be banned? Of course not. We are a non-drinking household. But don't ban or degrade any of our guests who chose to drink.

Smokers pay the same good money for their cruises as non-smokers do. Prohibition didn't work because of its extreme stance. Bootleggers did very well for themselves. Live and Let Live say I!

IMO it is unreasonable for non-smokers to insist that no one smoke any time or any place.

Sure, tobacco smoke does alter the scent of smokers' clothing. But so does perfume. And some that I personally find very offensive, Shalimar being one. There are some places and homes in the US that ban the wearing of any scent whatsoever! Would I insist that Shalimar be banned? Of course not. Nor would I make uncomfortable in my home any guest who wore it.

I don't like alcohol. Don't like the taste, the smell, or the effect it has on behavior. My mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was but 15. Would I insist that alcohol be banned? Of course not. We are a non-drinking household. But don't ban or degrade any of our guests who chose to drink.

Smokers pay the same good money for their cruises as non-smokers do. Prohibition didn't work because of its extreme stance. Bootleggers did very well for themselves. Live and Let Live say I!

Perfume doesn't kill you; second-hand smoke will.