Anyone else have trouble proclaiming themselves "Elite"?

seaproponent

Unlike X, most cruise lines seem to classify members of their "frequent customer" clubs with easy-to-take terms like "silver, gold, platinum", "red, white, blue" etc, etc.

Try as I might, I have trouble keeping a straight face when asked by a fellow passenger, or worse yet a crew member, whether I'm "Elite". While not always the most modest person, proclaiming myself to be "Elite" seems a stretch.

But perhaps I'll get with the program with my impending promotion to the next level of free-stuff awards -- "Elitist", or whatever.

Unlike X, most cruise lines seem to classify members of their "frequent customer" clubs with easy-to-take terms like "silver, gold, platinum", "red, white, blue" etc, etc.

Try as I might, I have trouble keeping a straight face when asked by a fellow passenger, or worse yet a crew member, whether I'm "Elite". While not always the most modest person, proclaiming myself to be "Elite" seems a stretch.

But perhaps I'll get with the program with my impending promotion to the next level of free-stuff awards -- "Elitist", or whatever.

You can solve the "Elite" problem by continuing to cruise with Celebrity and become a "Zenith",

Better start this thread over on the Princess BB who's TOP level is Elite and where this type of thread never gets posted because nobody gives a rat's. :cool:

cc_mem_ben_elite.gif

Edited by A Sixth?

Better start this thread over on the Princess BB where this type of thread never gets posted because nobody gives a rat's. :cool:

On a Princess cruise you don't have to ask. Just check the state room door and you see that color coded name tag indicating your status :D

I can't imagine why a fellow passenger or a crew member would ask me if I were elite.

On a Princess cruise you don't have to ask. Just check the state room door and you see that color coded name tag indicating your status :D

Yup, and they sell eggs and rotten tomatos at a huge mark-up for the whiners to reap sweet revenge!!!! :p:p

tumblr_m7nrq9kTkF1rae5vno1_1280.jpg

Don't ask about how much the paper bags and lighter combo costs!..... :p

Edited by A Sixth?

It's been some time since I've been on Princess, but I seem to remember that they issued pins indicating level as well as the tag on the door. I've seen quite a few wearing those pins.Celebrity only issues pins to Zenith members and I've never seen anyone wearing one. They also issue a black card with "Zenith" rather than cabin category. I believe it's designed to let the staff know that one is at that level and entitled to specific benefits. Different lines indicate loyalty status in different ways. One way is not better or worse than the others. Just the way different people do different things.

Edited by Orator

Who on Princess wears a pin to designate what level they are at? Very few!!!!! Who wants their name and Level on their cabin door? Not too many!!! In fact many people remove the name tags.

Each cruise line has a different nomenclature on their levels. No one ever asked me what level I was at. They wanted to see my Card when I entered a function if it were to be attended by a certain level such as Elite.

So, are you a Diamond or Diamond +? Are you an Elite or Elite +? Who really cares?

Edited by Oxo

I don't get it. I have never been asked by any passenger, staff, or crew member on any cruise line what level I was.

The only tine that it was required to disclose my status was to attend a function for that level.

I have never experienced any one treating me any different because of my cruising status, and I wouldn't expect them to.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It's just a word. I don't care to judge people based on a word or a term.

No big deal.

Airlines use the term, hotels use the term.

So does Yelp. I'm an elite on Yelp and we get to go to free restaurant tastings, Vegas shows, cocktail hours, swag and other goodies a few times a year. You don't have to have a certain anything to become one. Just one that participates in the community and writes relevant reviews.

Edited by whataboutport

I can't imagine why a fellow passenger or a crew member would ask me if I were elite.

Linda, I met some people while eating at the Captain's table on one of my cruises. Two couples and my DH and I met up at the Martini bar and one of the women ask me why I was invited to eat with them at the captain's table as I was not in a suite like them. I told her it was because I was a nice person. If I wasn't such a nice person, I would have told her to go jump overboard.:D Some people are so worried about status. I am proud to be Elite Plus and hope some day to become Zenith if I live that long. To me we are all the same if we love to cruise.

Pat

Linda, I met some people while eating at the Captain's table on one of my cruises. Two couples and my DH and I met up at the Martini bar and one of the women ask me why I was invited to eat with them at the captain's table as I was not in a suite like them. I told her it was because I was a nice person. If I wasn't such a nice person, I would have told her to go jump overboard.:D Some people are so worried about status. I am proud to be Elite Plus and hope some day to become Zenith if I live that long. To me we are all the same if we love to cruise.

Pat

Lol, hysterical. The NERVE of some people.

Cannot imagine.

Of course the implication is beyond brash... Not just... WHO are you ? But are you good enough for me. sheesh

BTW, I thought your reply was perfect...

Cheers!

Pat

Hi Pat.

Got invited to the captains table a number of times now and I always assumed that it's because Joni and I have met you guys. :p

Or it could be that I'm such a snappy dresser and classy guy. :rolleyes:

2uj6qo6.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Hi Pat.

Got invited to the captains table a number of times now and I always assumed that it's because Joni and I have met you guys. :p

Or it could be that I'm such a snappy dresser and classy guy. :rolleyes:

2uj6qo6.jpg

I think it is the fact that you are a snappy dresser and classy guy. :cool: Also you always make me smile.

Pat

It's been some time since I've been on Princess, but I seem to remember that they issued pins indicating level as well as the tag on the door. I've seen quite a few wearing those pins.Celebrity only issues pins to Zenith members and I've never seen anyone wearing one. They also issue a black card with "Zenith" rather than cabin category. I believe it's designed to let the staff know that one is at that level and entitled to specific benefits. Different lines indicate loyalty status in different ways. One way is not better or worse than the others. Just the way different people do different things.

So glad to hear people do not wear these zenith pins. I am happy status is on folks cards flaunting "wealth" because for most people the level of spend to get 3000 points equates to money is a little crass. I am disappointed X felt they had to issue flaunt it badges, hope that idea fades away

Funny consensus seems to be no-one cares for the the cruiselines advertising their 'status' - yet a double check at the many signatures in cruise critic threads seems to say otherwise - if I see one more glittering diamond GIF twinkle at me in a post I'm going to go blind:D

Don't know why anyone would worry about loyalty status on Princess - doesn't get you much anyway.

Apparently you are not aware of the bennies that Elite get you on Princess. Go here to check them out.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp#Elite

We cruise many cruise lines and have to say that Princess does have some of the best bennies.

I agree with the OP and wish the term Elite could be replaced by something else a bit more neutral.

While I do like and appreciate some of the perks of the level I don't need the implied "status"? of the label.

Yes, I know, it's just a word but I would prefer a different word to describe this level like Silver, Level 3, Marlin or Magnificent!:D