Anyone else have trouble proclaiming themselves "Elite"?

seaproponent

As for listing loyalty status in the signature, I never thought of it as bragging, but rather a statement of amount of experience on a particular line (and in my case, a comment on some disliked lines). Same with listing of future cruises, its nice when another poster knows we will be on the same upcoming cruise.

When reading posts, I weight the opinion of the E+ with 10K posts heavily compared to the newbie poster whose signature may indicate that they have not yet even sailed on X.

As for listing loyalty status in the signature, I never thought of it as bragging, but rather a statement of amount of experience on a particular line (and in my case, a comment on some disliked lines). Same with listing of future cruises, its nice when another poster knows we will be on the same upcoming cruise.

When reading posts, I weight the opinion of the E+ with 10K posts heavily compared to the newbie poster whose signature may indicate that they have not yet even sailed on X.

Havd you noticed how many posters get to these high number of posts? They post one line which hardly ever make sense.

I think I will post more one liners to get to 1000 posts.

Edited by The Viking

Have you noticed how many posters get to these high number of posts? They post one line which hardly ever make sense.

I think I will post more one liners to get to 1000 posts.

Thank you for posting... ;)

Don't understand the fuss. ELITE ain't what it used to be in the Celebrity world. All Elite means now is that you're an Elite+ wannabe. I can't figure out what that plus means though.

I say its a temporary place holder for the Diamond Plus level until the programs merge into Crown and Anchor in 2 years.

I have no factual basis to predict this, just my feeling, based on how they aligned the programs and benefits with the captain's club revamp last year and seeing how it was the exact same way Continental got their program aligned a couple years prior with United before merging those 2 programs. Add to that the extra capacity RCI is adding that X is not over the next several years, it will help loyal X cruisers WANT to try some RCI ships and fill berths over there knowing the benefits are accustomed to are granted and points can be accrued on the other line.

Well said and spot on! A number of posters suggested when the new program was announced that Celebrity consider naming the levels after past Celebrity ships. I believe that have would given a sense of history and tradition at a time when posters were questioning the direction Celebrity was taking. The names are what they are and I doubt that Celebrity will revisit the names now. However, it could be done quite easily as Zenith is already on the card.

I appreciate the benefits whatever it is called.

A while back I made that suggestion to name the levels against the Celebrity ships. Here are my suggestions:

Classic: Galaxy

Select: Meridian (Celebrity ship before it merged with Royal)

Elite: Summit

Elite+: Horizon (because you are half way there to Zenith)

Zenith: Zenith

One of the the most prolific new posters in this chat area as of late (first cruise Feb 2013) gave tons of info and opinions without ever setting foot aboard a cruise ship. :eek: :p

A while back I made that suggestion to name the levels against the Celebrity ships. Here are my suggestions:

I like it!

I say its a temporary place holder for the Diamond Plus level until the programs merge into Crown and Anchor in 2 years.

I have no factual basis to predict this, just my feeling, based on how they aligned the programs and benefits with the captain's club revamp last year and seeing how it was the exact same way Continental got their program aligned a couple years prior with United before merging those 2 programs. Add to that the extra capacity RCI is adding that X is not over the next several years, it will help loyal X cruisers WANT to try some RCI ships and fill berths over there knowing the benefits are accustomed to are granted and points can be accrued on the other line.

I understand from a very well placed source that the idea of a totally reciprocal program was favored by Celebrity when it announced the new program, but RCCL declined. Many key staff have shifted from one side of the company to the other in recent months. RCCL offered jobs to Celebrity employees who were displaced when Activities Staff was reduced so there are most certainly signs that the components are working more closely together. Who knows what will happen in the future?

I understand from a very well placed source that the idea of a totally reciprocal program was favored by Celebrity when it announced the new program, but RCCL declined. Many key staff have shifted from one side of the company to the other in recent months. RCCL offered jobs to Celebrity employees who were displaced when Activities Staff was reduced so there are most certainly signs that the components are working more closely together. Who knows what will happen in the future?

IN these days of controlling costs, imagine how much money can be saved by merging to programs, just in overhead and removal of duplication if duties and positions alone. Let alone the production of duplicated collateral marketing materials.

It's certainly GOT to be on someone's radar to merge them just from a cost savings and profit enhancing standpoint. I imagine there is a lot of arm twisting going on behind the scenes for sure. Maybe RCI President doesn't want it, but likely the Chairman of the Board wants it.

The loyalty credit card that was new last year also probably will factor in, Airlines make tons of money selling perks to 3rd parties like credit cards, I believe I once read the American Frequent Flyer program often subsidized the losses of the airline from such arrangements, and several airlines have seriously discussed selling their programs to 3rd parties outright for cash infusions, though to my knowledge, non actually really went thru with it.

One of the the most prolific new posters in this chat area as of late (first cruise Feb 2013) gave tons of info and opinions without ever setting foot aboard a cruise ship. :eek: :p

Almost sounds like me! Except I sailed first Feb 2013, second April 2014, joined here March 2013 and have 7 cruises done now, with #8 coming end of the month on Summit!

I definitely caught the cruise bug! There should be support groups for people like me. :D

Thanks to Crusie Critic, I've learned how to stalk cheap fares and itineraries. I think of Crusie critic as my drug dealer.

They could reserve "Century" for a level between the current Elite+ and Zenith.

Over night, there seems to be an emergence of support for this position on the forum.

Nuts. If adopted, this could have a seriously adverse impact on my draft business plan for selling "I AM ELITE" Sandwich Boards dockside.

Somehow, I don't think there would be as large of a market for "I AM MERIDIAN" boards?

I guess a lot depends on what they are posting about. Before I took a European cruise I had spent several weeks each year on annual trips to Europe. Not a lot of cruise experience but tons more port experience than some who have long lists of Caribbean cruises but may not have known anything about European ports.

Its subject matter expertise that counts - and everyone to weigh for themselves if the poster is presenting valuable information or opinion to them.

God knows, I sure don't agree with everything I read.:rolleyes:

Over night, there seems to be an emergence of support for this position on the forum.

Nuts. If adopted, this could have a seriously adverse impact on my draft business plan for selling "I AM ELITE" Sandwich Boards dockside.

Somehow, I don't think there would be as large of a market for "I AM MERIDIAN" boards?

Maybe there should be a level above Meridian, but below Summit called "Prime Meridian" granted only to those who have crossed it while on an X sailing.

The added benefit shall be a private all you can eat prime rib buffet in Michael's Club lounge once per cruise.

I agree with the OP--I cannot say it with a straight face--I always have to screw up my face and use air quotes!

Why would you have to "say it"??? No one is ever going to ask!

Don't think the word Elite has ever come up on ANY cruise with X since attaining Elite status over 4 years ago.

I can't believe people can get so bent out of shape over a stupid word. Life is too short. :eek:

Why would you have to "say it"??? No one is ever going to ask!

Don't think the word Elite has ever come up on ANY cruise with X since attaining Elite status over 4 years ago.

I can't believe people can get so bent out of shape over a stupid word. Life is too short. :eek:

We've never been asked. As long as I get my perks I'm happy. :D

Mary Lou

Lol, hysterical. The NERVE of some people.

Cannot imagine.

Of course the implication is beyond brash... Not just... WHO are you ? But are you good enough for me. sheesh

BTW, I thought your reply was perfect...

Cheers!

I wasn't there, and can't read the mind of the person who said it, but I could see someone asking "how were you invited?" If everyone else who was invited was a suite guest, there is sense and order in that. The other cruises may have known, from seeing each other in Michael's club, or wahtever. Out of 2000-3000 passenger, why did they pic you would be something I could wonder? Curiosity is human nature, and unless I can read someone's mind, I give them the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I still couldn't personally see actually asking the question no matter how curious I was.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

SNIP

I know on Princess, you do not have to dress formal in the specialty restaurants on formal night and from what I've read on CC, sounds like you do on Celebrity. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

SNIP

I'm sure most don't want to turn this into ANOTHER dress code thread, but since no one responded, you do NOT have to wear formal attire in Specialty restaurants or the buffet. The appropriate dress is the same in those every night, "smary casual". Basically this means, no shorts, and if you don't look like a slob, you'll be OK.

Happy sailing,

Jenna