Chance and cost of upsell

pthjudy

We are booked on a transoceanic cruise in November. Upon talking with Oceania, we were told there are many availabilities, and a fake booking shows most levels ready to book, none sold out, and a few wait lists. Now a few questions: what is the usual cost of an upsell from one level to the next (ie inside to oceanview)? The cost from one level up two levels (ie inside to verandah)? Do you hold out for a better offer? Do you make your own offer? How soon before the cruise would an upsell be offered? Is there ever a free upgrade? Any or all responses would be welcome. Can't wait for our second cruise on Oceania!

I'm no expert here but I don't think there are any rules that you can predict. I mean as to cost and what you might get.

Generally these are time sensitive so you shouldn't wait. But on a very oversold cruise, where they really need the space, offers can get better. But there's little way of predicting when or how much.

Our first upsell was from a PH on Regatta in Nov '05; we got the OS for $1Kpp. The next offer we took was to move from a PH on Regatta in Aug '11 to a VS on Marina to the Med in Oct. This was the best deal we've ever had. Tons of OBC and we paid for the VS what we'd paid for the PH. But you can't count on these offers.

I just got an offer to move off of our Lima-NYC cruise next April (we're in a PH) to move to one of three cruises in Africa and the Near East. They'd give us the same level room, the same perks we already had, but the cruises are longer. Not enough of an incentive for us.

Just be prepared to jump immediate if you get an offer that you would like. Don't take the time to post here and ask if it's a good deal! Take it or don't, but don't wait.

If you have a good TA you CAN make a counter-offer. Sometimes that works. Just continue keeping an eye on how sold out the cruise looks so you can guess if you have a chance.

Mura

The cost of an upsell depends how long the cruise is and how many categories you are being upgraded to. There is no set cost. Typically, your TA receives the upgrade offer. It is up to them to contact you immediately so you can decide if you want it or not. Hesitating could cause you to lose the upsell. Everything is based on first come, first served. On the other hand, if no one wants the upsell, there could be an even better offer.

A really good TA will "negotiate" an upsell or a downsell. The price offered does not necessarily have to be the final price agreed upon. Eg. You get a call that it's 1000 pp to upgrade to a particular category -- less than published rate but maybe you can do better. Your TA can try to get the price down to 750 or even less. So many factors affect whether this can work that I could not mention them. But on the right cruise, with the right availability, it has happened.

Not all TAs do that, but the best of them will fight hard for the best deal for you.

Same is true of a downsell. Many TAs will "negotiate" a better deal than is offered. If O needs the cabin badly enough, good things can happen.

Talk to your TA and get your ducks in a row so that you are both ready when the call comes in.

A really good TA will "negotiate" an upsell or a downsell. The price offered does not necessarily have to be the final price agreed upon. Eg. You get a call that it's 1000 pp to upgrade to a particular category -- less than published rate but maybe you can do better. Your TA can try to get the price down to 750 or even less. So many factors affect whether this can work that I could not mention them. But on the right cruise, with the right availability, it has happened.

Not all TAs do that, but the best of them will fight hard for the best deal for you.

Same is true of a downsell. Many TAs will "negotiate" a better deal than is offered. If O needs the cabin badly enough, good things can happen.

Talk to your TA and get your ducks in a row so that you are both ready when the call comes in.

Good suggestions. Thank you! I guess this will demonstrate how much of an "agent" for ME my travel agent really is!

If your cabin Cat is waitlisted or sold out you may or may not get an offer to move

Sometimes people on the list ahead of you may snap up the deal before you get asked

I always book the Cabin I want for a good reason ;)

You are not very likely to receive an upsell offer unless your category is sold out (or waitlisted). Overbooked cabins are the ones O wants to make available to those on a waitlist. You should instruct your TA as to what would be an acceptable upsell offer so that the TA can act ASAP on your behalf before someone else does.

Obviously, there are no "down sells" from an inside cabin.

You are not very likely to receive an upsell offer unless your category is sold out (or waitlisted). Overbooked cabins are the ones O wants to make available to those on a waitlist. You should instruct your TA as to what would be an acceptable upsell offer so that the TA can act ASAP on your behalf before someone else does.

Obviously, there are no "down sells" from an inside cabin.

What?

No cabins in and around the boiler room???:rolleyes:

Simple question, no simple answers. My brother is on Marina now, a very poorly sold 7 day cruise. Lots of openings. He was offered a concierge veranda at $500.00 pp-, from non-concierge veranda.not worth it to him, and he declined. Last minute offer of penthouse at $500.- he's accepted but won't find out if he got it until he gets on.

Can you negotiate - sure but while your doing that, someone may accept.

You do know Oceania knows what it is doing. The trick is maximizing revenue for each cruise. O does manage to fill the TA's somehow.

See you there.