El Cheapo Cruises Thread

I've done a couple of PO UK cruises. I wouldn't say it was better. Certainly more dressed up for dinner and great sailways. But I didn't think the food was all that.

Agreed. Ours they didn't dress up either (bit of a British stuff-up!).

Very quiet onboard too...

Good prices for Cunard next year in balcony staterooms. Sydney to Kobe 15n QE $A2414 balcony. Singapore to Dubai 10n QM2 $1999 balcony, Hong Kong to Singapore 7n QM2 $A1449 balcony, Sydney to Hong Kong 16n QM2 $A3214 balcony.

Personally I think its far better...it is very British. Expect to dress for dinner . The stage shows are some of the best I have seen.

I've done a couple of PO UK cruises. I wouldn't say it was better. Certainly more dressed up for dinner and great sailways. But I didn't think the food was all that.

I suppose if a cruise pops up that is too good to miss, I will consider it but otherwise I may stick with my favs.:D

Why drive to Sydney when Murray's Coaches direct service from Jolimont to Central is so cheap and easy? What you pay for petrol and parking would cost you a lot more.

Yes but with the bus, we need to get a taxi to/from Jolimont at the Canberra end, same thing to/from Central at the Sydney end. Depending on the cruise length, it us usually cheaper to drive, beyond about 14 days it would probably swing back in favor of the bus.

Also, with the car, I just get off the ship, walk around the other side of circular quay, and I am away heading back to Canberra. With the bus I need to estimate my disembark time, then stick to that.

Personally I think its far better...it is very British. Expect to dress for dinner . The stage shows are some of the best I have seen.

I am glad to hear that Kiwi Kruzer! We have just booked the Britannia for a cruise around Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands later this year.

Yes but with the bus, we need to get a taxi to/from Jolimont at the Canberra end, same thing to/from Central at the Sydney end. Depending on the cruise length, it us usually cheaper to drive, beyond about 14 days it would probably swing back in favor of the bus.

Also, with the car, I just get off the ship, walk around the other side of circular quay, and I am away heading back to Canberra. With the bus I need to estimate my disembark time, then stick to that.

That was my point with both the train and the bus, you still need to get to the stations somehow.

That was my point with both the train and the bus, you still need to get to the stations somehow.

We have a child drop and collect us from Jolimont. When we get to Central, we have found it quite easy to get the train from Central to Circular Quay.

At the end of the cruise, we just front up at the bus station and ask to get on the next bus. Never been knocked back.

I think driving through the Sydney traffic to the Opera House for parking would give me the heebie jeebies!

Good prices for Cunard next year in balcony staterooms. Sydney to Kobe 15n QE $A2414 balcony. Singapore to Dubai 10n QM2 $1999 balcony, Hong Kong to Singapore 7n QM2 $A1449 balcony, Sydney to Hong Kong 16n QM2 $A3214 balcony.

I did a dummy booking for Sydney-Kobe. Does anyone know what the extra $85pp charge is for?

We have a child drop and collect us from Jolimont. When we get to Central, we have found it quite easy to get the train from Central to Circular Quay.

At the end of the cruise, we just front up at the bus station and ask to get on the next bus. Never been knocked back.

I think driving through the Sydney traffic to the Opera House for parking would give me the heebie jeebies!

When we drive, we park at my SIL place and then train it to CQ, saves driving into Sydney and paying for parking as well.:D

I have very similar arrangements. Get a friend to drop me at Jolimont, catch the train to Circular Quay. First available bus home. Cheap and easy.

The only complicating factor is if the cruise is out of White Elephant Bay, not Circular Quay. But driving would have the same problems with that location.

When we drive, we park at my SIL place and then train it to CQ, saves driving into Sydney and paying for parking as well.:D

That would make a difference. If you have free parking and easy access to the train, then driving makes sense.

I have very similar arrangements. Get a friend to drop me at Jolimont, catch the train to Circular Quay. First available bus home. Cheap and easy.

The only complicating factor is if the cruise is out of White Elephant Bay, not Circular Quay. But driving would have the same problems with that location.

I just tell the daughter, mum and I are going on a cruise guess who is driving us down?

Looking to escape this miserable Sydney weather?

Papua New Guinea

14 June 2016

11 Nights

Pacific Jewel

Twin From $812 pp

Quad From $1965 pp

Looks good price for a twin, I don't understand the pp price for a quad? Why wouldn't you book two twin cabins? Am I missing something here?

John the Newbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That would make a difference. If you have free parking and easy access to the train, then driving makes sense.

It does for most of the time, if we have other plans involved pre or post cruise it doesn't always work out easier.

Looks good price for a twin, I don't understand the pp price for a quad? Why wouldn't you book two twin cabins? Am I missing something here?

John the Newbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Limited offerings fro quad berths perhaps. Definitely go for the two cabins.

We've just booked 23 night B-B Legend OTS Mar.3 2017, Singapore - Dubai - Barcelona, Delux Bal midship, Deck 6. Total cost $US3323.74. I also used two future cruise bookings, providing us with $US300 OBC and nothing to pay until Dec. Check it out.

We've just booked 23 night B-B Legend OTS Mar.3 2017, Singapore - Dubai - Barcelona, Delux Bal midship, Deck 6. Total cost $US3323.74. I also used two future cruise bookings, providing us with $US300 OBC and nothing to pay until Dec. Check it out.

Great price, that must be it's last sailings for RCI.

That's a very good deal tobytoby. Those future cruise bookings certainly are worthwhile.

Could be just higher grades quad left. Other times (likely with the prices here) it's just because they've put a special/guarantee on the twin share price, and left the quad alone.

That's the one they offered us as a straight swap from our cancelled Legend Sing-Dubai-Venice in May2017. 7 less days, 2 months earlier and the new itinerary hardly covered any of the same ports!