El Cheapo Cruises Thread

It depends on the person but in my experience, if someone buys a drinks package, they ensure that they get their monies worth, while if they receive a drinks package as part of the fare or as a perk, they do not hit it as hard. It is all about perceived value for money.

I would agree with Mick. We just booked a 12 day Pacific Pearl cruise for about $98 per day for an ocean view cabin and the deal included $100 OBC and the premium drinks package (add to this a previous FCC of $150 and shareholders benefit of $100 = $350 OBC). Unfortunately, my big drinking days are well and truly over, but I will enjoy a glass of wine for lunch and maybe 2 glasses with dinner. Add bottled water and two premium coffees per day and it will add up. For me, this would add up to about $45-50 per day, so for 12 days, it is worth $550-600. For Mrs Fletch, it would be a little more as she enjoys a cocktail or two and the occasional G&T.

For us, it was definitely the perceived value for money. We would not have booked it if it wasn't for the drinks package being tossed in.

It depends on the person but in my experience, if someone buys a drinks package, they ensure that they get their monies worth, while if they receive a drinks package as part of the fare or as a perk, they do not hit it as hard. It is all about perceived value for money.

The drinks are just like the food. The more you eat the cheaper your cruise. :p;)

I had a long conversation with the future cruise manager on Voyager recently. She was adamant that RCL had changed their pricing policy for Aussies booking locally to exactly the same as their US bookings.

She clearly said;

Price drops before final payment.

Upgrades by paying the difference if a higher category before or after final payment.

Ability to change cabins within the same category once gty allocations are made.

Said this was now possible because that had updated their booking system.

I have no great confidence in anything that I am told by people at RCL and have not tested this.

Just a heads up for those with bookings through Aus to keep an eye out and test the waters.

I had a long conversation with the future cruise manager on Voyager recently. She was adamant that RCL had changed their pricing policy for Aussies booking locally to exactly the same as their US bookings.

She clearly said;

Price drops before final payment.

Upgrades by paying the difference if a higher category before or after final payment.

Ability to change cabins within the same category once gty allocations are made.

Said this was now possible because that had updated their booking system.

I have no great confidence in anything that I am told by people at RCL and have not tested this.

Just a heads up for those with bookings through Aus to keep an eye out and test the waters.

Interesting.

Although I wouldn't like to be relying on the website or booking system for anything important.

you bagged a great deal fletch1

shame the pearl does,nt stop at wala island-if it did I would have to go,as it

and mystery island are my favourite destinations.

I would imagine that given the booze package,i would have a binge blowout on day 1 or,2-then swear off the scotch for a few days,and stick to the coffees and coke.

but I don't go on a cruise to get sloshed-I ,ve seen the diamond club members come out at 6-7 p.m -sloshed ,just like the old 6 oclock swill-

so I wont buy in.but if I was part of a footy team,stag - bucks group ect going on a cruise,Wow-look out .well done to those who can handle there booze.

Just scored an inside on Pacific Eden October 15th 7 nights to Papua New Guinea from Cairns for $575 twin. I had been looking at it at $815 and it suddenly went to 575. I quickly booked, phoned my sister and booked for her and within 5 mins it was back to $815. Not too sure what actually happened but all paid and receipted so good to go. Have got my return flights from melb to cairns thanks to a jetstar sale, a night in a hotel pre cruise all for less than the cruise fare that I was prepared to pay anyway.

Happy traveller here tonight. Japan in August, New Zealand in October that will keep me happy planning for a while. A large oz company has been very good to me.

Just scored an inside on Pacific Eden October 15th 7 nights to Papua New Guinea from Cairns for $575 twin. I had been looking at it at $815 and it suddenly went to 575. I quickly booked, phoned my sister and booked for her and within 5 mins it was back to $815. Not too sure what actually happened but all paid and receipted so good to go. Have got my return flights from melb to cairns thanks to a jetstar sale, a night in a hotel pre cruise all for less than the cruise fare that I was prepared to pay anyway.

Happy traveller here tonight. Japan in August, New Zealand in October that will keep me happy planning for a while. A large oz company has been very good to me.

Good deal:):)

I was looking at that too but getting to Cairns is a hassle for us.

From Canberra it used to work out cheaper and quicker to drive to Sydney and leave the car in the long stay at the airport. One time we got a deal with an airport hotel where we stayed one night and they stored the car in their undercover carport for free.

Now we are in FNQ the costs can be awful to fly from Cairns to Sydney unless we can get a special. :( It's cheaper sometimes to fly to Japan from Cairns.:)

Ooops I was so super excited last night. Just re read and I sain new Zealand. As much as I love NZ this cruise is to new guinea.

Jetstar had a sale that ended at midnight last night.

Going via gold coast for a few days got $49.50 melb to coolangatta using Jetstar price match guarantee. Cooly to cairns $75 and $89 cairns to Melbourne.very .

Total 789 plus 50 for night in motel in cairns. Now have to decide what to do at the ports.

Apart from not having direct flights, just about everything out of Canberra is more expensive than Sydney.

The Winter Sale is on now, prices below but the differences in price get worse when not on sale.

Canberra - Sydney = $115;

Canberra - Melbourne = $185;

Canberra - Brisbane = $205;

Sydney - Melbourne = $109;

Sydney - Brisbane = $99;

Melbourne to Brisbane = $189.

From Canberra it used to work out cheaper and quicker to drive to Sydney and leave the car in the long stay at the airport. One time we got a deal with an airport hotel where we stayed one night and they stored the car in their undercover carport for free.

Now we are in FNQ the costs can be awful to fly from Cairns to Sydney unless we can get a special. :( It's cheaper sometimes to fly to Japan from Cairns.:)

Yeah we are in Canberra too and the last few cruises we have just driven to Sydney and parked under the opera house. Much easier and relatively cheap at only $20 per night.

Of course, we can't do that for our next cruise, that one departs Fremantle :)

Yeah we are in Canberra too and the last few cruises we have just driven to Sydney and parked under the opera house. Much easier and relatively cheap at only $20 per night.

The Sydney cruises are not the issue it is the other port like Brisbane, Melbourne or even further afield.

Why drive to Sydney when Murray's Coaches direct service from Jolimont to Central is so cheap and easy? What you pay for petrol and parking would cost you a lot more.

Why drive to Sydney when Murray's Coaches direct service from Jolimont to Central is so cheap and easy? What you pay for petrol and parking would cost you a lot more.

For us it depends, we have caught the bus, the train, driven and flown depending on pre or post travel plans. I can park for free in Sydney, so driving is often more convenient. Saves having Taxis or parking here in Canberra if catching buses, trains or planes.:D

Deals are coming out for Arcadias WC segments heres one

from a NZ agent for Kiwis ....no doubt Au agents are doing deals as well.

P&O ARCADIA: WORLD CRUISE 2017 SECTOR :FLY/STAY/CRUISE SAN FRANCISCO - AUCKLAND DEPARTS 24TH JANUARY 2017 - 19 NIGHTS!

Departs 24th January 2017 (19 Nights)

Interior Cabin (Fly/Stay/Cruise Package)

$3649.00 per person(NZ $)

BONUS: 190 British Pounds Onboard Credit Total

Not bad for an Air Fare, 2 nights in 4* Hotel and a Trans Pacific cruise through Hawai and Tahiti..:)

Deals are coming out for Arcadias WC segments heres one

from a NZ agent for Kiwis ....no doubt Au agents are doing deals as well.

P&O ARCADIA: WORLD CRUISE 2017 SECTOR :FLY/STAY/CRUISE SAN FRANCISCO - AUCKLAND DEPARTS 24TH JANUARY 2017 - 19 NIGHTS!

Departs 24th January 2017 (19 Nights)

Interior Cabin (Fly/Stay/Cruise Package)

$3649.00 per person(NZ $)

BONUS: 190 British Pounds Onboard Credit Total

Not bad for an Air Fare, 2 nights in 4* Hotel and a Trans Pacific cruise through Hawai and Tahiti..:)

That is a good price. How does P&O stack up against the other lines like Princess and X? is it better or worse?

That is a good price. How does P&O stack up against the other lines like Princess and X? is it better or worse?

Personally I think its far better...it is very British. Expect to dress for dinner . The stage shows are some of the best I have seen.

As a rough description, princess/celebrity in food/entertainment but near Cunard on dress.