Another drink package question

Merriem

Sorry I know this has been ask before..however trying to decide about if the drink package is what we should do.

First of all, we are not big drinkers. Wine with dinner, maybe a drink before dinner, a glass of wine with lunch. On vacation you know....and a cognac in the evening. We can bring a couple of bottles of wine to have in our room, but then you miss the enjoyment of meeting new people out and about on the ship. We have cruised more than 35 times, and never purchased a package, or were on a ship where it was included. The package that is just wine with meals isn't that appealing...so some thoughts about the more expensive one.

Thanks again!

Sorry I know this has been ask before..however trying to decide about if the drink package is what we should do.

First of all, we are not big drinkers. Wine with dinner, maybe a drink before dinner, a glass of wine with lunch. On vacation you know....and a cognac in the evening. We can bring a couple of bottles of wine to have in our room, but then you miss the enjoyment of meeting new people out and about on the ship. We have cruised more than 35 times, and never purchased a package, or were on a ship where it was included. The package that is just wine with meals isn't that appealing...so some thoughts about the more expensive one.

Thanks again!

Here's the link to a recent thread on that topic. I think it will help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2082672

We take the "Premium Beverage Package" for a few reasons:

1. If you have a drink at lunch, drink before dinner, couple of glasses of wine each at dinner and maybe a Brandy or whatever later in the evening this totals more than the $60/day per person that the package costs ($59.95 precisely I think!) especially when you count in the 18% service charge that is tacked onto each drink, and wine running around $8-10 per glass.

2. We hate having to think about whether or not we should add another $20 to our daily bill when we are thinking about having a drink.

3. With the Premium Beverage package all you do is hand your room card to the server who takes it off and swipes it. No signing. And often once you have given the server the card another glass materialises without a request for the card. Makes life easy.

When I cost out a cruise I try to factor in all the additional expenses (internet, tips, drinks etc) and then compare apples to apples when choosing, say, between Oceania and Regent. Adding the beverage package to the equation is for me a no-brainer. I like all-inclusive prices and since Oceania has an "à la carte" approach this is how I get to where I want to be!

We take the "Premium Beverage Package" for a few reasons:

1. If you have a drink at lunch, drink before dinner, couple of glasses of wine each at dinner and maybe a Brandy or whatever later in the evening this totals more than the $60/day per person that the package costs ($59.95 precisely I think!) especially when you count in the 18% service charge that is tacked onto each drink, and wine running around $8-10 per glass.

2. We hate having to think about whether or not we should add another $20 to our daily bill when we are thinking about having a drink.

3. With the Premium Beverage package all you do is hand your room card to the server who takes it off and swipes it. No signing. And often once you have given the server the card another glass materialises without a request for the card. Makes life easy.

When I cost out a cruise I try to factor in all the additional expenses (internet, tips, drinks etc) and then compare apples to apples when choosing, say, between Oceania and Regent. Adding the beverage package to the equation is for me a no-brainer. I like all-inclusive prices and since Oceania has an "à la carte" approach this is how I get to where I want to be!

Thanks. I think I will add it. We are on one of that included gratuities and internet, so this is actually all I need to make it all inclusive. Thanks...I think it is a good decision. Appreciate the help.

It is a legitimate question. Despite the fact that we rsrely have a drink, I find myself considering the social aspects. It IS nice, when enjoying part of an evening with friends, to know the drinks will not be extra. That's part of what we enjoyed on Regent, even we drank very little in reality.

But, on Regent, the drinks are hidden in the cruise fare and it's easy to never give them a thought. Like Hambaghle, we could add the cist of the Oceania drink package to the cruise fare and the total might turn out to be a little less than Regent.

BUT, we have a mental block. As long as the drinks are a separate line item, we're aware of them. And, as long as we're aware of them, they become an item to analyze. The analysis never works for us. We generally dine until almost too late for the show, arrive in the theater too late to order a drink, and head for bed after the show. The evenings on which we might socialize are few. No matter how much we drink on such a rare occasion, it could never justify the cost of the package every single day. If we did buy the package, we would find ourselves trying to almost force ourselves to drink enough every day to justify the package. For me, that means at least 10% more drinks than the breakeven point. That whole idea places the alcohol with a greater control of our activities.

End result? No packages for us.

Your analysis is pretty much the way we think about it. While I DO drink, Howard does not except for an occasional glass of wine. But I don't drink enough on board to justify the cost, and since Howard doesn't drink hard liquor we rarely go to the bars. Having a drink in the room and wine with dinner is fine for me.

But IF we could take the package on a daily basis rather than for the whole cruise, I might do so on occasion. As it is, we aren't tempted.

Mura

It is a legitimate question. Despite the fact that we rsrely have a drink, I find myself considering the social aspects. It IS nice, when enjoying part of an evening with friends, to know the drinks will not be extra. That's part of what we enjoyed on Regent, even we drank very little in reality.

But, on Regent, the drinks are hidden in the cruise fare and it's easy to never give them a thought. Like Hambaghle, we could add the cist of the Oceania drink package to the cruise fare and the total might turn out to be a little less than Regent.

BUT, we have a mental block. As long as the drinks are a separate line item, we're aware of them. And, as long as we're aware of them, they become an item to analyze. The analysis never works for us. We generally dine until almost too late for the show, arrive in the theater too late to order a drink, and head for bed after the show. The evenings on which we might socialize are few. No matter how much we drink on such a rare occasion, it could never justify the cost of the package every single day. If we did buy the package, we would find ourselves trying to almost force ourselves to drink enough every day to justify the package. For me, that means at least 10% more drinks than the breakeven point. That whole idea places the alcohol with a greater control of our activities.

End result? No packages for us.

Don, we are the same way..I end up buying a bottle of wine ($35) and since Stu doesnt drink wine..I can drink it for about 4 days and that works for me..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I suppose that we're on the other end of the spectrum, because there is never any question that, for us, the Prestige Package is well worth it.

Knowing that, there is something infinitely pleasant, and even calming, in knowing that with each successive cocktail, we're getting an even better deal. :p

For some reason, we just don't feel the same way at an All Inclusive. Stan swears that this is because I have a horror of anything that is free, but in reality I just have a strong suspicion of any "restaurant" which issues coupons.

Edited by StanandJim

I suppose that we're on the other end of the spectrum, because there is never any question that, for us, the Prestige Package is well worth it.

Knowing that, there is something infinitely pleasant, and even calming, in knowing that with each successive cocktail, we're getting an even better deal. :p

For some reason, we just don't feel the same way at an All Inclusive. Stan swears that this is because I have a horror of anything that is free, but in reality I just have a strong suspicion of any "restaurant" which issues coupons.

ROTFL

Jancruz1

Such fun to read on a day in my life that is not so fun. Thanks for cheering me up so wonderfully! :)

Edited by CintiPam

Love your logic:D If you think about all-inclusive as something you are paying for, you may to drink more to get your money's worth.

Such fun to read on a day in my life that is not so fun. Thanks for cheering me up so wonderfully! :)

Sorry you are having a bad day...my motto is "when it stops getting worse, it starts getting better"

Jancruz1

Thanks again!

You don't say how long the cruise is and how many seadays of that cruise you might have. These are factors if its 7 -10 day port port port.. Wherein you have a very finite amount of time to drink.

As experienced, when cruises are short and a mix of sea and port then yes it is a good buy. However if over 14 days it is not in my experience. To break even or profit one needs to have 6 to 8 drinks a day, every day without missing a beat. Can you physically withstand such a heavy schedule???

Only you and your MD knows.

For me.... no way could I do it and not come away without health problems and I am a healthy male in my mid-60's and in shape . How about you?

An additional reality is that the longer you drink on consecutive days the less you will begin to drink after about 7 to 10 days.

This is the business model that the ship relies on and why they do not sell the "package" for single days.

Most People, I have observed, just plain get burned out on a schedule of serious heavy drinking...unless your a Arthur or a Foster Brooks . Waking up to a hangover every morning doesn't seem luxurious

It boils down to an equation of quanity x time / your physical capacity to endure= value.

Paying for something you may never use just to have it seems to me like paying for a hotel room for the week just to use the bathroom once.....

You don't say how long the cruise is and how many seadays of that cruise you might have. These are factors if its 7 -10 day port port port.. Wherein you have a very finite amount of time to drink.

As experienced, when cruises are short and a mix of sea and port then yes it is a good buy. However if over 14 days it is not in my experience. To break even or profit one needs to have 6 to 8 drinks a day, every day without missing a beat. Can you physically withstand such a heavy schedule???

Only you and your MD knows.

For me.... no way could I do it and not come away without health problems and I am a healthy male in my mid-60's and in shape . How about you?

An additional reality is that the longer you drink on consecutive days the less you will begin to drink after about 7 to 10 days.

This is the business model that the ship relies on and why they do not sell the "package" for single days.

Most People, I have observed, just plain get burned out on a schedule of serious heavy drinking...unless your a Arthur or a Foster Brooks . Waking up to a hangover every morning doesn't seem luxurious

It boils down to an equation of quanity x time / your physical capacity to endure= value.

Paying for something you may never use just to have it seems to me like paying for a hotel room for the week just to use the bathroom once.....

I agree with you. It is 10 days, somewhat port intensive. My TA gave me a nice shipboard credit, and I think we will jus pay as we to. I would have a hard time drinking that much.

Sorry you are not having a good day, Pam

Sometimes when you're feeling glum

th?&id=HN.608017517954011074&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

A smile helps

th?&id=HN.607988041591949138&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

:D:D:D

Are you trying to compete with S&J :) - friendly competition is good!

Edited by Paulchili

LOL

But now you've ignited the controversy, which is Stan and which is Jim???

Whichever oneyou think is the cuter baby..................... is Baby Jim :p

010740.jpg

...but I tell you, it was EXHAUSTING. for the first few years!

Yet, you wonder why I drink.

Edited by StanandJim

We are booked on a 31 day Grand Voyage that is basically a B2B. Do you have to take the package for the full 32 days or can you take the package for just one of the segments? The prestige package for the full voyage is $1800+ pp - I could take another cruise for that (lol).

We are booked on a 31 day Grand Voyage that is basically a B2B. Do you have to take the package for the full 32 days or can you take the package for just one of the segments? The prestige package for the full voyage is $1800+ pp - I could take another cruise for that (lol).

The official rule is that if you booked it as a Grand voyage, then they treat it as a single cruise, with the exception of earning cruise points which are strictly dependent on the number of days.

In practice, however, the management on the ship has more latitude if some of the passengers ARE doing the trip as a B2B, so if one segment is all that you want to buy:

1) Don't try to book it ahead

2) Ask as pleasantly as possible on the turn around day.

Whichever oneyou think is the cuter baby..................... is Baby Jim :p

010740.jpg

...but I tell you, it was EXHAUSTING. for the first few years!

Yet, you wonder why I drink.

Well, this plethora of cute baby photos now has me yearning even more for the first grandchild. Both children purchased homes in the last few months so I assume at least one will appear sooner rather than later. I waited seven years for my first child so I cannot complain for at least five more years! :)

Edited by CintiPam