"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

The attached PDF will explain it. It is a dining concept being launched on Quantum class ships. Early and late seating would be eliminated in favor of an expanded MTD concept. The single large dining room is being redesigned to be four smaller no charge themed restaurants with enhanced menus. There will be a total of 18 dining venues split 50/50 between no charge and fee based.

Like NCL, then. ICK It's why I only did NCL once.

I know you're not alone in this opinion, and the "keep the old fashioned meals" group is quite vocal about it -- but I think you're in the minority.

We haven't been able to cruise in a few years. (Our DDs are 4 yrs and 20 mos.). I'm sure we are part of a minority, but we also prefer traditional dining. Part of our reasoning is simplicity. Our family travels in a group so the dining consistency greatly helps in planning. (It's easy to say "see you all at dinner" when people have varying plans. - Just trying to coordinate the character breakfast and ice show ahead of time for next month's sailing has been a pain) In fact, part of the reason we enjoy cruising is that every other vacation has the "where are we eating tonight" dilemma that is often a struggle in a large group. The other huge thing for us has been the experience of having the same team each night. We like walking in with seats & high chairs already arranged and everyone's preferred drink already on the table. We've also enjoyed getting to know those staff members (So much so that we've only booked a speciality restaurant once, and then cancelled it to not miss the MDR). We actually still keep in touch the waiter we had on our first Liberty sailing in 2008.

That said, a lot has changed in the few years that we've cruised and we understand that the market drives more changes each year. I don't fault RCL for doing what's best for their bottom line, especially if the change really only affects a minority of guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's rather like Disney's dining method in that you're in different venues each evening:

- We didn't have tablemates on Disney (had a 4-top for our family), so I didn't consider the "traveling tablemates" thing. However, since many of us now prefer My-Time Dining, we're not eating with the same tablemates every night anyway. I personally don't care about staying with the same folks night after night.

- Likewise, I don't care about having the same service team. I've never cared that the waiter could remember that I like Diet Coke or Iced Tea.

- Regardless of what system they go to, I'm not making reservations. I'll show up when I feel like it, and if I have to wait -- okay. Disclaimer: If I were sailing with a large group, I'd see the point in tying myself down to a specific time.

I still like the idea.

Can't agree with your uptake on this dining change more

But will totally depend on how they roll it put and control it to how well it works

I know you're not alone in this opinion, and the "keep the old fashioned meals" group is quite vocal about it -- but I think you're in the minority.
Don't think those who prefer Traditional Dining are in the minority. For example, Freedom of the Seas has 2 decks including deck 3 (which is the largest) for traditional and one deck for My Time. People are always lined up on Day 1 to get traditional (generally early seating for the mid-Florida demographic).

Can't agree with your uptake on this dining change more

But will totally depend on how they roll it put and control it to how well it works

So far the rollout has a reservation with a lot of glitches. Hope they don't extend DD to other ships until it is working smoothly on the QU and AN.

Don't think those who prefer Traditional Dining are in the minority. For example, Freedom of the Seas has 2 decks including deck 3 (which is the largest) for traditional and one deck for My Time. People are always lined up on Day 1 to get traditional (generally early seating for the mid-Florida demographic).

There just shouldn't be the option, just show up when u want to show up. I've never seen people line up because they got my time over traditional

We had sent a e mail to RCI requesting information on why we were not able to get early dinner on our Upcoming August of 2015 cruise. I know it is a long way off, but we are starting to plan now.

This is the response we got:

Dear Mr. L:

We have received your e-mail regarding your cruise vacation onboard the Allure of the Seas. Please accept our apology for not responding sooner.

Presently, there are no plans to change the existing dining rooms into a number of restaurants like the new Quantum Class. The dinner experience will be called Dynamic dining. Most of the many restaurants onboard Quantum Class ships are free, but reservations are suggested in order to accommodate the guests into the smaller venues.

Mr. L, thank you for being a valued Emerald member. It is my pleasure to be your personal contact. Please feel free to direct any additional questions or concerns to me and I will be happy to help. We sincerely appreciate your loyal patronage and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Oasis of the Seas.

Sincerely,

Bernard Levern

Corporate Guest Relations Advocate

For what it is worth.

Sea Ya

So the reply did not answer your question re early trad dinning and the reason you couldnt secure it when booking so far out:confused:

There just shouldn't be the option, just show up when u want to show up. I've never seen people line up because they got my time over traditional

I was not clear in my post. I meant that lots of people want to get into a traditional seating on Freedom and they meet with the M'aitre D' staff on Deck 4 on embarkation day (usually around 1 PM). This is for folks who want to change seating, change tables etc.

If someone wants to change to My Time or book certain times etc., they meet with the My Time M'aitre D around the same time.

It's kind of like M'aitre D' office hours and it is in the Cruise Compass for the first day.

- Likewise, I don't care about having the same service team. I've never cared that the waiter could remember that I like Diet Coke or Iced Tea.

My parents used to be regulars at an upscale restaurant. We were all treated like royalty. The wait staff all remembered that my parents drank their coffee black, while my wife took cream, and I drank Earl Gray tea. They also knew for beef, that my father liked his medium, while everyone else liked theirs medium well. I could go on and on.

This is one reason why people like having dinner in the MDR. The wait staff treats people like regulars in an upscale restaurant. A couple of years ago on the Jewel, by the third night, our assistant waiter was even asking if I wanted coffee. He just brought a tea pot and an Earl Gray tea bag with the coffee service.

I like that kind of attention.

If this new idea means NOT dressing up - more like Disney's rotating dining, I'M IN! Looking forward to this new idea :D

On Disney, your wait staff follows you from restaurant to restaurant, all with different themes and they wear different uniforms...but they stay with YOU and they get to know you. Loved that!

Edited by GonnaSailtoo

So you have your opinion that you'd rather have MTD/DD, but why can't others have theirs?

BTW- If Traditional dining stops, I'd be fine with only MTD each night. Especially on a Mega-ship this would be easier, but I would just have to talk to the host/hostess about getting my same waitstaff. ;) What I wouldn't be fine with is DD on the older ships with no option to even have your same waitstaff without eating in the same restaurant every night with the same selection of food.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

So you have your opinion that you'd rather have MTD/DD, but why can't others have theirs?

BTW- If Traditional dining stops, I'd be fine with only MTD each night. Especially on a Mega-ship this would be easier, but I would just have to talk to the host/hostess about getting my same waitstaff. ;) What I wouldn't be fine with is DD on the older ships with no option to even have your same waitstaff without eating in the same restaurant every night with the same selection of food.

I agree.

My parents used to be regulars at an upscale restaurant. We were all treated like royalty. The wait staff all remembered that my parents drank their coffee black, while my wife took cream, and I drank Earl Gray tea. They also knew for beef, that my father liked his medium, while everyone else liked theirs medium well. I could go on and on.

This is one reason why people like having dinner in the MDR. The wait staff treats people like regulars in an upscale restaurant. A couple of years ago on the Jewel, by the third night, our assistant waiter was even asking if I wanted coffee. He just brought a tea pot and an Earl Gray tea bag with the coffee service.

I like that kind of attention.

Like your comparison with being a regular at an upscale restaurant.

We have been sailing with RCI since 1995. We have experienced many changes over the years. Dynamic dining will be another change and we will have to adjust, some aspects will be better and some will be less attractive. The new dining style will give everyone the freedom of flexibility with their dining choice. You will be able to choose the time you would like to dine as well as the type of menu you would prefer and the venue you would like to attend.

With traditional dining you sometimes feel 'hurried' getting ready to go to dinner for the early seating or miss an event due to your late dining time. With the new dining flexibility these problems will be solved, however, some of the good aspects of traditional dining will be lost. We often sail as a couple but also sail regularly in a large group of up to 36.

As a couple, we enjoy meeting new people at the dinner and have always enjoyed spending time with our dinner companions on shore excursions, shows or just lounging around the pool. As a group we use the dinner time to get updated on the groups daily events, have some drinks and tell stories, there was always a story which was hilarious and got the entire group laughing. This was very difficult to do on NCL due to the fact that you could not reserve tables ahead of time and a group of 36 was spread out over the main dining room.

Another aspect which was lost with NCL is the "personal" wait service. We enjoy hearing the life stories of our wait staff as well as being greeted by our first name when we arrive to our designated table. Yes, it is nice to have your drink of choice waiting for you at the table. This was not possible on NCL, each night you have a different wait staff and the dining experience seemed very confusing and speedy. During one cruise (NCL) I went the first 4 nights without being asked about my choice of beverage ( I don't drink wine ), I eventually stopped by the nearest bar close to the restaurant and brought my own beverage into the dining room.

During a Caribbean cruise there are times you want to spend some extra time taking part in the activities and my forgo the main dining option for a burger at Johnny Rockets, but, during a Mediterranean cruise you may look forward the the formalities of the Main dining room. It is always nice to have the options.

It is my opinion that RCI should change to Dynamic dining to allow better flexibility in dining but they should not loose sight of the fact that many of their cruise customers still prefer the traditional dining style. To convert everything to Dynamic dining, RCI will just be getting closer to becoming another NCL!

It is my opinion that RCI should change to Dynamic dining to allow better flexibility in dining but they should not loose sight of the fact that many of their cruise customers still prefer the traditional dining style. To convert everything to Dynamic dining, RCI will just be getting closer to becoming another NCL!

I agree with this. I have a hard time believing the WHOLE entire fleet will be dynamic dining. I personally think they would be very successful with both types of dining on different ships. I would hate for this to happen on the smaller ships, the Radiance Class especially. We love those ships for the ability to get to know the staff. Yes, you can still get to know the bartenders/cabin stewards, etc., but its always been great to get to know our waitstaff.

So you say you want variety yet you can't wait until Dynamic Dining is the only option aboard RC ships? The second sentence kind of conflicts your first sentence... Variety would mean a happy medium, some ships with DD, some with Traditional.

+1, and the signature shows mostly NCL cruises, which is fine if Freestyle is what you like.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

So you say you want variety yet you can't wait until Dynamic Dining is the only option aboard RC ships? The second sentence kind of conflicts your first sentence... Variety would mean a happy medium, some ships with DD, some with Traditional.

I'm not sure how that would work. Are you suggesting that RCI have two ships sailing each itinerary? One with DD and one with traditional?

I'm not sure how that would work. Are you suggesting that RCI have two ships sailing each itinerary? One with DD and one with traditional?

No, I was just saying that I don't want every ship in the fleet to be on Dynamic Dining. For example, if they had both a radiance class, with traditional dining, and an oasis class,with DD, sailing to the Caribbean (no matter the itineraries), I would sail the Radiance class ship. I did not mean two ships sailing each itinerary.

No, I was just saying that I don't want every ship in the fleet to be on Dynamic Dining. For example, if they had both a radiance class, with traditional dining, and an oasis class,with DD, sailing to the Caribbean (no matter the itineraries), I would sail the Radiance class ship. I did not mean two ships sailing each itinerary.

That might work but I would think not all ports would have the option of sailing on ships with each type of dinning.

Just off Freedom of the Seas yesterday. We were told that DD is coming to Freedom after her January dry dock.

We also booked Oasis for August '15 while on board and were told that we will have DD for that cruise.

Just off Freedom of the Seas yesterday. We were told that DD is coming to Freedom after her January dry dock.

Yay! I hope its true. Although I'm skeptical about how its gonna work, Im elated that I booked my upcoming cruise for AFTER the drydock.

Maybe the information they are giving out is correct. It seems Ive read that Michael Rasmussen also confirmed this for Freedom.

Edited by ryano