Narrowing down my choices!!

LiseD

Ok....we want to be on a river cruise next Sept 15th for our 25th anniversary. We currently have twins in their senior year of college....so we are on a budget! :) Would love your thoughts on these 2 choices for us!!

Looking at either Viking (Helvetia) from Amsterdam to Basil or Avalon (Felicity) from Basil to Amsterdam.

They are both older ships (2009) and both have a French balcony that we would like. These are pricing out almost the same. The big difference in cost seems to be the deposit...as many have discussed Viking wants full payment by Aug. 31st and Avalon is not due until June 15th.

It appears Viking gives wine/beer with lunch AND dinner, Avalon only with dinner. The stops are a bit different but since I have not heard of many of these places, not sure what to think about that! Any other differences I should look at? Review on CC seem better for the Avalon ship. Please give feedback!!

Avalon:

Day 1 Zürich–Transfer to Basel (Embarkation):

Day 2 Strasbourg:

Day 3 Speyer. Excursion to Heidelberg:

Day 4 Mainz–Rüdesheim:

Day 5 Rhine Gorge–Koblenz:

cruise through the Rhine Gorge; choice of guided sightseeing in Koblenz or visit Sayn Manor House

Day 6 Cologne:

Day 7 Amsterdam:

canal cruise

Day 8 Amsterdam (Disembarkation):

your vacation ends this morning

Viking:

•Day 1 | Amsterdam, Netherlands

•Day 2 | Kinderdijk, Netherlands

•Day 3 | Cologne, Germany

•Day 4 | Koblenz & Rüdesheim , Germany

•Day 5 | Heidelberg & Speyer, Germany

•Day 6 | Strasbourg, France

•Day 7 | Breisach, Germany

•Day 8 | Basel, Switzerland

Have you looked at Uniworld's Castles Along the Rhine cruise? It also goes from Basel to Amsterdam on the dates you were traveling. I'm also looking into options for a cruise next year and was curious if you have compared their prices since they have gone all-inclusive? (all tips, onboard and onshore, unlimited beverages onboard including wines, craft and regional beers, spirits, cocktails, and non-alcoholic beverages, and all same-day arrival and departure transfers). I've heard some lines only include transfers if you book the air thru them.

We were on the Felicity Basel to Amsterdam. We had a great time. If you go from Basel to Amsterdam you get to see more things because the River brings you along and you travel faster. Plus you get a full day in Amsterdam which is a plus IMO Amsterdam is awesome. The Felicity might be a little older but there is no wear and tear and the cabins and bathrooms are all a good size.

Be sure and compare the size of the staterooms and the passenger count. The boats are all the same size due to needing to fit in the canals and locks. I am sure both boats are beautiful.

Bottom line Viking wanting to be paid up front is a no-go for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

We are not allowed to give the name of travel agents, but if you google discounts on river cruises, we will find several companies.

These companies receive commissions from the cruise lines and they pass very good discounts to their customers. Please be sure to check the awards they have received.

We have greatly enjoyed our 2 Avalon cruises (Danube and Rhine) and we have 2 more booked. We have complete confidence in Avalon's decision making and logistical teams since the are part of the Globus travel family.

Be sure and compare the size of the staterooms and the passenger count. The boats are all the same size due to needing to fit in the canals and locks. I am sure both boats are beautiful.

Since the Helvetia isn't a longship, the French balcony cabins are fine (170 sq. ft). Uniworld cabins are 172 sq. ft.

FuelScience

We chose Avalon for the size of the cabin and the fact there's a fridge. Odd reason on which to base an expensive trip, but part of our justification is that my husband is an avid home brewer and wants to try all the local beers along our trip in Germany (mostly). So we didn't care that Avalon doesn't have wine/beer with lunch because we'll likely be in town eating & drinking locally anyway. Or bringing some back on board;)

(I made a matrix of all the options we were considering and broke down to per diems, cabin size, pax per ship etc - still a hard decision but it helps me to be able to compare what I can)

We are using an online TA that we have used on many ocean cruises.....has always given us great deals. As for Uniworld, it is pricing out about $3000 more for the same route.....so a bit above our price range.

Staterooms are the same size and in about the same location on the ships. I have not looked at total pass. count....will do that next.

I am NOT liking Vikings pay upfront and that might make our decision....just paid double tuition for fall semester and so would love to just pay a deposit now!! :)

Hi, I am sure you will have a great time with either ship, I honestly believe that. Here is my review of the ports only of the Avalon Cruise. It is a very go go go itinerary, but you are always able to go without the guide if you wish. You can simply walk around yourself; or start a tour and leave it. Also, all tours are 90 minutes and then they allow you 90 minutes of "on your own" time to do whatever you wish. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072203

Ok....I have a chair question.....it looks like on Viking there are 2 chairs by the French balcony but on Avalon it only shows one chair in the room...can anyone confirm this? Seems it would be nice to have 2 chair to at least sit and have a glass of wine by the glass door?

I second the notion of 2 days in Amsterdam. It is a wonderful city and you can take tours or you can very easily do it DIY. If you can, spend a few extra days after the cruise is over.

Many of the people on board don't come back to the ship for lunch, choosing instead to stay in town and dine/drink there.

Those that have sailed your itinerary often want to go to wine/beer shops and buy something to bring back on board....you will be in the land of German wine & beer!!

We love Avalon and have not sailed Viking.

LiseD, I would go with Avalon.

Newer ship, far less passengers, as Got2cruise mentioned - Basel to Amsterdam direction works to your advantage, lower deposit amount.

We have been on 2 cruises and 3 ships with Avalon, (our cruise last month was Grand France which is actually 2 cruises b2b), we have been so happy with Avalon I think they're great. I cant compare to any other cruise line though.

I'm sure which ever company you chose you'd have a fantastic time in that part of Europe.

I agree about having the extra day in Amsterdam, there's so much to see, we loved it there....especially if you are flying out after your cruise, you'd want to see some of this beautiful city.

Deb :-)

Which ever cruise you decide on....do not wait too long to book. We tried to book a Sept. 2015 cruise on AmaWaterways last week on the Rhone, and all Sept. cruises were booked. Don't know if you have looked at AmaWaterways, but we were very pleased with them.

Likely she would be happy either way. To me the deposit in full so far in advance is what kills Viking.

If that was the only problem I'd certainly suggest asking Viking for a more reasonable date.

They have very different requirements in different regions so it is certainly not a global corporate policy to require payment in full upfront.

I second the notion of 2 days in Amsterdam. It is a wonderful city and you can take tours or you can very easily do it DIY. If you can, spend a few extra days after the cruise is over.

Many of the people on board don't come back to the ship for lunch, choosing instead to stay in town and dine/drink there.

Those that have sailed your itinerary often want to go to wine/beer shops and buy something to bring back on board....you will be in the land of German wine & beer!!

We love Avalon and have not sailed Viking.

Our experience with our two cruises on Avalon is that most of the passengers returned to the boat for lunch and then to refresh before the afternoon excursion. The Rhine cruise is very packed with excursions. We just returned from our Rhine cruise Amsterdam to Basel in July.

Often there was a different destination in the afternoon and we were sailing during lunch.

Ok....I have a chair question.....it looks like on Viking there are 2 chairs by the French balcony but on Avalon it only shows one chair in the room...can anyone confirm this? Seems it would be nice to have 2 chair to at least sit and have a glass of wine by the glass door?

Didn't see anyone answer, so ...

There is one chair and a small sofa next to the French balcony, at least on our ship. Each takes one, both sit on sofa, doesn't matter - it's right there at the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Either cruise would be good.

Why don't you compare Vantage. Vantage is excellent and almost always beats Avalon and Viking on price for what you receive.

One other factor for Vantage is the fact that if you are willing to pay up a year in advance, you can save 10% on the price of the cruise.

FuelScience

We've done 2 Avalon cruises with our third booked for April 2015. Have been very pleased with the size of the ships and staterooms. The one in April will be our first on the Suite Ship. We were very happy with the older ships. If you want beer or wine during the day you can just buy some ashore at a good price and bring it onboard, they don't care, and you have a fridge to store it in. We also book with a TA who gives good discounts.