Denied Stockholder Credit...

I Love NC

We haven't sailed on Celebrity since the Soltice appeared! We booked a great 3 day deal on the Reflection: all three perks!

BUT when we applied for the Stockholder Credit we were told it is not combinable, so kept our original booking perks.

Never ran into that w/Princess!! But it is what it is!! Don't want to be too greedy, but disappointed since this is the first time we have ever applied for this stock benefit/lack of benefit!

Just sayin....

We haven't sailed on Celebrity since the Soltice appeared! We booked a great 3 day deal on the Reflection: all three perks!

BUT when we applied for the Stockholder Credit we were told it is not combinable, so kept our original booking perks.

Never ran into that w/Princess!! But it is what it is!! Don't want to be too greedy, but disappointed since this is the first time we have ever applied for this stock benefit/lack of benefit!

Just sayin....

You got all three perks and still want the stockholder credit? They stopped combining a few years ago. You should be thankful for what you got. :rolleyes:

Just sayin....

Princess is CCL. Celebrity is RCCL. Check the total return of the stock of both companies and tell me which one you'd rather own. Different companies, different rules.

Have you also calculated the value of the perks you are receiving as compared to Princess perks on a similar cruise? Which is better?

Remember the old line: "pigs get slaughtered"?

Edited by Orator

Princess is CCL. Celebrity is RCCL. Check the total return of the stock of both companies and tell me which one you'd rather own. Different companies, different rules.

Have you also calculated the value of the perks you are receiving as compared to Princess perks on a similar cruise? Which is better?

Remember the old line: "pigs get slaughtered"?

Here we go again...

Dividend wise, better with CCL, been that way for years.

Five year hindsight, wish you bought more RCL, who doesn't. Heck, you;d have done pretty well too with CCL.

I was going to add a few things about using stock prices to compare quality of customer experience and why there's ... :rolleyes:

Never mind. ;)

To the OP, wish the shareholders beni was as straight forward with Celebrity as it is with Princess... but that's the way it goes...

Edited by A Sixth?

Just sayin....

Ran into the same thing with RCL a few years back. Got a "loyalty discount" and booked over six months in advance. Stock credit was disallowed. My sister booked at the last minute and paid less. She got her stockholder because she did not get a "discount." I understand that policies are policies. So now I have a policy, too. I don't sail with RCL any more.

Here we go again...

Dividend wise, better with CCL, been that way for years.

Five year hindsight, wish you bought more RCL, who doesn't. Heck, you;d have done pretty well too with CCL.

I was going to add a few things about using stock prices to compare quality of customer experience and why there's ... :rolleyes:

Never mind. ;)

To the OP, wish the shareholders beni was as straight forward with Celebrity as it is with Princess... but that's the way it goes...

Check the prices for each company today? Remember when CCL was higher than RCL? Stock price indicates investor confidence in future company performance not passenger satisfaction. Apples and Oranges. I think I know where you're coming from. IMHO, just too many of these threads where some complain they want more.

Edited by Orator

Ran into the same thing with RCL a few years back. Got a "loyalty discount" and booked over six months in advance. Stock credit was disallowed. My sister booked at the last minute and paid less. She got her stockholder because she did not get a "discount." I understand that policies are policies. So now I have a policy, too. I don't sail with RCL any more.

Good for you. Principles are few and far between now days, and I respect people who vote with their wallet. If they don't like a Companies policies, they move on.

You're vacationing now (I assume) with a Company whose policies are in agreement with your value system, and RCL's ships are sailing full, profits are up, share value is up, so it's a win win for both you and RCL.

Don't ya just love a Happy Ending? :)

Check the prices for each company today? Remember when CCL was higher than RCL? Stock price indicates investor confidence in future company performance not passenger satisfaction. Apples and Oranges. I think I know where your coming from. IMHO, just too many of these threads where some complain they want more.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

;)

Just glad I bought my shares when the price was at $15 ... now at $60

Gotta sell them to get it....

I score my "after tax real profit" on hold stocks like RCL and CCL "dividend - tax + bar / cabin credit"

I think both products are an excellent vacation, I just prefer Celebrity.

Buy it in a ROTH and eliminate the tax part of your calculation. Oops another one liner

Me workie. No retireeied. :p

Me not USA-inese. :D

Buy RRSR/TFSA but not enough room to save what I'll needie. Save more in stuff like RCL and CCL and stuffie... (hope they don't stuffie me!)

Three liner. :cool:

(or was it 4ie?) :p

Edited by A Sixth?

This is the deal with shareholder credits:

• RCL --useless credits, ok dividends, great capital gains

• CCL -- ok credits, great dividends, capital loss

• NCL -- NO credits, NO dividends, LT capital gain unknown

• most other cruise lines -- no chance to invest

Under the best of circumstances the CCL shareholder credit is probably not enough to tip your decision to cruise, and certainly shouldn't lead you to buy the stock.

This is the deal with shareholder credits:

• RCL --useless credits, ok dividends, great capital gains

• CCL -- ok credits, great dividends, capital loss

• NCL -- NO credits, NO dividends, LT capital gain unknown

• most other cruise lines -- no chance to invest

Under the best of circumstances the CCL shareholder credit is probably not enough to tip your decision to cruise, and certainly shouldn't lead you to buy the stock.

Wise words but may I add, that It's all a matter of timing for gains.... and

Past performance is no guarantee of future gains. :p

We all can agree that cruising is a great vacation investment!

wall_street_shuffle-14319737-frntl.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

We do a lot of cruising (over 70 days a year) and have owned both CCL and RCI stock for years. Each of those stocks has been good to us over the years, but RCI has adopted a very tough "anti-stacking" policy that now makes their stock next to useless when it comes to on board credits. They will seldom allow you to combine the stockholder credit with any of their decent promotions...and most folks will book their lines with the promotions.

CCL is much more generous and we have never been denied stockholder credits on Princess, HAL, Carnival, etc. And they routinely allow you to combine the stockholder credits with most of their promos. In fact, on our last Princess Cruise (25 days) we had so much in OBCs, that despite doing our share of drinking and buying lots of wine we still had several hundred dollars left over at the end of the cruise (which was ultimately refunded to use by check).

Hank

Gotta sell them to get it....

I score my "after tax real profit" on hold stocks like RCL and CCL "dividend - tax + bar / cabin credit"

I think both products are an excellent vacation, I just prefer Celebrity.

Absolutely LOVE your equation! AND agree about the preference for X. ;)

Since I AM one of those no-workie/retiree types, holding the stock in an IRA in the USA, I just consider every shareholder credit an added tax free dividend. :o

Since I do two or three 14 nighters per year. I consider satisfyingly profitable, the $750 of ADDITIONAL yearly dividends (25%!) on an initial investment of $3,000. :D

(WHY didn't I buy EARLIER at $15 instead of $30?!? :p)

We do a lot of cruising (over 70 days a year) and have owned both CCL and RCI stock for years. Each of those stocks has been good to us over the years, but RCI has adopted a very tough "anti-stacking" policy that now makes their stock next to useless when it comes to on board credits. They will seldom allow you to combine the stockholder credit with any of their decent promotions...and most folks will book their lines with the promotions.

CCL is much more generous and we have never been denied stockholder credits on Princess, HAL, Carnival, etc. And they routinely allow you to combine the stockholder credits with most of their promos. In fact, on our last Princess Cruise (25 days) we had so much in OBCs, that despite doing our share of drinking and buying lots of wine we still had several hundred dollars left over at the end of the cruise (which was ultimately refunded to use by check).

Hank

I was VERY pleased with my 14 night Princess cruise to Alaska last year, that allowed me to combine a $250 Military OBC with a $250 Shareholder OBC... on a fare of only $799pp. :)

I agree that the vast majority of people book cruises MANY months in advance, based on the slick marketing of promos such as 1-2-3-GO...and pay ridiculously high prices for them. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.

Just in the last two days, I got confirmation of the $250 Shareholder OBC for two different upcoming cruises on Celebrity. (I haven't submitted the request for yet another cruise next April)

One was on a 23 night cruise for only $799pp. One was on a 15 night cruise for only $649pp. (that included even more OBC from the agency)

Most people absolutely REFUSE to believe I pay such low prices, AND get OBC.

Edited by teecee60

One was on a 23 night cruise for only $799pp. One was on a 15 night cruise for only $649pp. (that included even more OBC from the agency)

Most people absolutely REFUSE to believe I pay such low prices, AND get OBC.

I can't touch that price, but an AQ 14 day June/July Baltic cruise this year for well under $2K PP with a cabin credit of $250.00

Sign me ONE HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!!:D

"• RCL --useless credits, ok dividends, great capital gains"

Maybe useless to you, not to me. I just got the credit on my Med cruise, and will put in for another cruise I have booked in March. Over the years, I have applied for, and gotten, the credit six or seven times. It is a great fall-back when a cruise that has no other perks is booked (such as transatlantics)

but RCI has adopted a very tough "anti-stacking" policy that now makes their stock next to useless when it comes to on board credits.

Hank

Not if you book inside staterooms after final payment. We 99% of the time book inside staterooms, either guarantee,senior rate or resident rate. Therefore we get no perks -123GO or Pick Your Perk, etc. We always get our Shareholder Benefit applied to our booking. So for us it works out just fine. We get a low price and on board credits.

I was also recently denied because I had a Loyalty Discount. So are Resident and Senior rates (discounts?) ok?

Just one more word on this...I don't feel the SH credit should be denied/non combined because it is not just a perk from heaven (X) like 123, other discounts, etc. - you had to outlay your own money to buy the stock. So it was never intended as a perk for "everyone", just those who made the financial commitment to buy it (remember, it could have gone DOWN, too) - just a lucky coincidence it has continued to go up.

I was also recently denied because I had a Loyalty Discount. So are Resident and Senior rates (discounts?) ok?

We gotten it with Senior and Resident Rates. Our Summit Cruise to Bermuda in May was a Resident Rate and we got the Shareholder Credit.

Edited by CruisingChick

I applied for RCI Shareholder OBC Credit several weeks ago via USPS. I haven't heard anything. My cruise begins in a few days.

Does this mean I was approved?

How have you heard that you got it, or that your request was denied? Should I have received an email or a letter? Will it just show up on my onboard account if it has been approved?