Does any one know it's it safe to use your credit cards while in the port of calls

richardAnn

I have used them but no longer. I'm just so much more aware now (thank you, Target). The last two cruises were in Canada/New England and I used them. Now I'm heading off into the wilds of the Bahamas. I called my credit card company to let them know my travel plans (they actually wanted to know every state I would be driving through on the way to Charleston, as well as each island) just in case I have to use it.

But: I also withdrew a lot of cash and my plan is not to take the card off the ship. Tracking it down and dealing with the bank on vacation or god forbid from the ship is not something I want to do!

This happened 10 years ago

One of my rarely used credits cards was duplicated or swiped at Margetitaville in the Grand Caymens. Ironic that my card number was taken in a place that is considered a safe place to hide money.

Our waitress took our card and was gone an extremely long time. We even commented that it was taking a long time for her to bring it back. She was a good waitress from New York City, living away from the rat race.

It was the fifth day of a seven day cruise. By day six my card was buying pizza and other things in New York City. My card company kept calling me to see if I was making any purchases in New York City, but since I was on a cruise ship I never got the calls until we disembarked.

We usually use cash, even then, but we were getting low on cash and I decided to blow the cobwebs off a card I almost never use. It was the last time I used that card, and credit cards in port. We now bring more money.

I sent a letter to Margetitaville but never heard back from them. We rarely go to their restaurants in port because of this, and if we do we pay with cash.

Edited by CruiseHealing

I always call to "clear" a credit card for use out of the country. We try not to use one in port, preferring cash. (we really don't buy anything big) Lucky I do this, cause a few years back my dd was debarked from the Dream with suspected appendicitis. I stayed for 3 days with her in a Belize hospital. The hospital wanted $500 just to admit her - luckily my credit card was cleared, or they would have rejected the charge - and my home phone is listed as a contact, so they would not have been able to contact me to clear the charge! (don't use cells on cruises- and I had left mine on the ship, anyway) I later found out that my travel insurance would have paid the $500 to the hospital had I contacted them immediately - but I was just trying to get my daughter admitted and treated at that point - so I used my cc. Also, telling the cc company you are going "away" will stop any "at home" charges that are made to the card while you are gone.

For small transactions (buying souvenirs, drinks or food), pay cash. However, if you're buying an expensive item (jewelry, electronics, etc), it's advisable to use a major credit card with fraud protection. The reason is because if, when you return home and get those nice $2,000 diamond earrings appraised, you learn that they are actually worth $2, you can file a fraud claim against your credit card and get your money back. If you paid cash, you're completely out of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use mine, but I bring one with a low limit. Also call your credit card company ahead of time and let them know what ports you are visiting. This can save alot of headaches.

a freeze being put on your card ( happened to my lawyer brother in law) credit card was being used in a country he had never been to !~ ! . Also if the cc company knows the ports and some how it shows up being used in a different place it will be easier to prove it wasnt you.

Have used my cc's and my debit card overseas and caribbean ports with out issue...however, locally around town, twice have had my debit card compromised...just this past week was incident number 2......even with precautions from last time a few years ago...I still got nailed.

My bank of america was very safe as I couldn't use got an email and phone call as we out of the country they thought it was fraud as I tried to use it twice. I guess I was glad in a way. They said next time I have to call to let them know I am going out of the country.

Yes. I have always called my card provider ahead of time and given them an exact itinerary of where I would be and I be sure to use a credit card and not a debit card. That way if the number would get stolen, it's not my ATM card and my whole cash flow etc. I have always been fine. I actually prefer to do that because I know if something happens and my card gets stolen my bank protects me more than they would if my cash would get stolen.

I have had a credit card number stolen in the past and all I had to do was call the bank and say I didn't make that charge. They asked me a few questions and that was the end of it. They removed the charge, cancelled the card, sent me a new one and I never had another problem. I would rather deal with that then handling a bunch of cash in a foreign country.

NO one can guarantee that your credit card will be safe if you use it anywhere in the world including here in the USA! Always tell your credit card bank and ATM bank that you will be traveling. You can also arrange for them to send you alerts on your cell phone . DH likes to use cash everywhere but I have used my credit card in lots of foreign countries without a problem. I trust their security as they have informed me in minutes if they think it has been used by someone else!

I've always used our card in ports when possible. Last time I had a problem with fraud, it was in Georgia. Fraud can happen anywhere. With 0 liability I am not worried about it. I can deal with fraud, I can't get back lost or stolen cash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

Also helps to have alerts (text or email) set up on your credit cards. Everytime your card is used you will receive an alert where it is being used and the amount. Most credit card companies and some bank debit cards offer this service at no charge.

seems like more problems with credit cards involve international computer hacking than local security issues. Never had a problem while traveling in other countries but have had the now common security alerts while in the USA-most recently with an alleged charge from China where I've never been. Think the problem is broader in scope

Don't use them at señor frogs. It's notorious for credit card fraud.

I'm sure that there are some legitimate fraudulent charges, but I'm also sure that there are some charges that some people DON'T REMEMBER after a little too much time at Señor Frog's.

I'm sure that more than one person has called their credit card company to dispute the $400 tab, not remembering the yard margaritas, body shots, and rounds of drinks for the new best friends that they met at the bar. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi