New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

9 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Another question: We're doing back-to-back Alaska voyages on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Vancouver to Whittier and return. Will we have to be covid tested at Whittier between deboarding and reboarding? If so, does Whittier have someplace for rapid covid testing?

Under the current rules, which are being applied on Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego cruises, you would be tested on the ship a day or two before you arrived at Whittier. 

Of course, no one knows right now if those rules will still be in effect when the Alaska season starts, nor whether or not HAL will continue with the practice. 
However, there is no reason to believe that if the rules continue HAL would stop testing those doing a back to back cruise. 

• Like 1

I am considering  ourselves new to HAL as we have been gone for about  8 years.    We are doing a transatlantic in April and continuing on to the Norway sailing.  I am confused about a few things.  I would appreciate your help.

A signature beverage package is included.  Does  mean 15 drinks a day or drinks under $15 or under $11?  Are speciality coffee and water included in the package as long as they are under $15 or $11.  I believe I also read that if you order a drink over the specific dollar amount or pay the entire price plus additional gratuities, is this correct?   ( counting drinks for the two of us it would not come to 15 a day 😄)

Premium Internet Package included.  I believe I read a few pages back, both guests can not use internet at the same time.  However, I believe on HAL site it states “Wi-Fi package for first and second guest.  Will we both have internet?    

Club Orange.  Is there a special menu different from the main dining room menu?  If not, what makes Club Orange special?  Can we select to sit at a table for four or six to meet others, or are all tables limited to two?  

thank you for your help.  

5 minutes ago, thepoint said:

A signature beverage package is included.  Does  mean 15 drinks a day or drinks under $15 or under $11?  Are speciality coffee and water included in the package as long as they are under $15 or $11.  I believe I also read that if you order a drink over the specific dollar amount or pay the entire price plus additional gratuities, is this correct?

The SBP includes drinks up to $11 in price, to a limit of 15 drinks/day; that includes coffee and water. You should each use your own card when purchasing drinks, or one person could reach the limit while the other has a lot left. 
Except for some wines, most drinks are under $11. 

7 minutes ago, thepoint said:

Premium Internet Package included.  I believe I read a few pages back, both guests can not use internet at the same time.  However, I believe on HAL site it states “Wi-Fi package for first and second guest.  Will we both have internet?  

You will each have internet, so both can be on at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, thepoint said:

I am considering  ourselves new to HAL as we have been gone for about  8 years.    We are doing a transatlantic in April and continuing on to the Norway sailing.  I am confused about a few things.  I would appreciate your help.

A signature beverage package is included.  Does  mean 15 drinks a day or drinks under $15 or under $11?  Are speciality coffee and water included in the package as long as they are under $15 or $11.  I believe I also read that if you order a drink over the specific dollar amount or pay the entire price plus additional gratuities, is this correct?   ( counting drinks for the two of us it would not come to 15 a day 😄)

Club Orange.  Is there a special menu different from the main dining room menu?  If not, what makes Club Orange special?  Can we select to sit at a table for four or six to meet others, or are all tables limited to two?  

thank you for your help.  

The Signature Beverage package includes all drinks, both alcohol and non-alcohol under $11. This includes wine by the glass under $11. If the drink is over $11 you will pay the full amount plus gratuities. 

Each person in your cabin will have the ability to sign on to the internet under a separate account, however you can only have one devise at a time signed on. If you have a smart phone signed on and want to get on with your Ipad, you will have a pop up that asks if you want to sign off the current device.

IMO Club Orange is a joke unless you are on one of the newer Pinaccle Class ships which have a separate Club Orange dining room.  We are on the Oosterdam in August and the Club Orange dining is in a roped off section of the MDR. The Club Orange menu has 1 or 2 added exclusive entree items over and above the MDR menu. We would never pay the extra fee for Club Orange unless it was included in our fare.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi first time HAL cruiser. I have been on Carnival and Royal. Looking for something a little slower and no hairy chest contest. My question is, are there any advantages/perks other than square footage to a Verandah cabin vs a Vista Suite. Thank you

Edited by blueknight222
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, blueknight222 said:

Hi first time HAL cruiser. I have been on Carnival and Royal. Looking for something a little slower and no hairy chest contest. My question is, are there any advantages/perks other than square footage to a Verandah cabin vs a Vista Suite. Thank you

Welcome to HAL!  The only other advantage to the Vista Suite is double the Mariner Rewards on the number of days sailed to a higher status.  For example, if you have a 7 night itinerary then your total mariner rewards would be 14 for a suite as opposed to 7 for a verandah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, RuthC said:

With the Signature Beverage Package, you may purchase a drink that costs up to $11. You will not pay anything additional on that drink, including the service charge. 
Unless you have upgraded to the Elite Beverage Package, you will have to pay for the drink in full if you want something costing in excess of $11. 

I am assuming you can upgrade your drinks package to Elite once onboard then? It’s $5 per guest per day?

5 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I am assuming you can upgrade your drinks package to Elite once onboard then? It’s $5 per guest per day?

You need to look at the list of spirits and wines by the glass offered at $11 and under and $15 and under, not really very many so we stay at SBP.

3 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Yes, you can; but you must do so before you use the package. 
I don't know the cost per day, as I get no benefit out of the package. 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:52 AM, thepoint said:

......Premium Internet Package included.  I believe I read a few pages back, both guests can not use internet at the same time.  However, I believe on HAL site it states “Wi-Fi package for first and second guest.  Will we both have internet?    

thank you for your help.  

The internet package provides a single connection to be used by many devices but only one device may be connected at any one time.  Whoever decides to login will have the option to disconnect the currently using party without notifying that party.  You can add more connections once onboard that will allow more than one simultaneous device/user.

Pinnacle-class ships have a Club Orange dining area separate from the MDR but the dinner menu is still prepared in the MDR kitchen.  The Club Orange dinner menu has an added entree that is not more spectacular than the other entree choices.  Here is a link to an example:  Club Orange Menu Example.

Breakfast is prepared by the Club Orange chef and the Mimosas are free.  Here is a link to the Club Orange Breakfast:  Club Orange Breakfast.

Pinnacle-class Club Orange tables are 4-top with a few 6-tops for those who want to share.  Couples are seated alone at 4-tops.  No reservations are required but peak hours may have a brief waiting time (pagers will be issued to call you).

The greatest advantage of Club Orange is booking a lower category stateroom, purchasing the Club Orange option, and then choosing a free upgrade to any stateroom in the same general category.

We're doing our very first cruise ever this June! According to the HAL website FAQs:

"Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom."

We were hoping that we could take 12 cans of Diet Coke on board, but that looks like only water is allowed.  Does anyone know if they allow cans of flavored sparkling water, like La Croix? 

18 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Does HAL allow wine or other alcohol to be brought on (like Celebrity & Royal)?

You may bring bottles of wine (750 ml) on board, but every bottle is is subject to a $20 corkage fee. This fee applies regardless of where you intend to consume the bottle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, librarylady19 said:

Does HAL allow wine or other alcohol to be brought on (like Celebrity & Royal)?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

You may bring bottles of wine (750 ml) on board, but every bottle is is subject to a $20 corkage fee. This fee applies regardless of where you intend to consume the bottle. 

Guess I’ll stick with my beverage  package then. Thanks! 

I have always brought my own wine for the whole cruise on HAL and allow them to charge me corkage because of the high prices that they charge per bottle. However, with my last booking the lowered price of the 'Have It All' promotion was compelling so we opted for that instead of bringing our own wine. Although you cannot order a full bottle with 'Have It All' servers are easily available when a glass it empty. We really liked it so much that our next two cruises include it at a price less than what it would cost to add it after you've already booked. That cost is $90/day per cabin.

I booked a 25 night cruise more than two years ago (that keeps getting canceled because of Covid) before they were pushing the Have It All promotion and I suspect I'll be buying a couple of cases of wine in Australia before boarding. $2250 for Have It All seems like a lot. 

196 pages, so don't imagine I will read them all.  But I do have a couple of questions.  Just booked my cruise for Sept. this week and don't know where I can say which dinner seating we want and also how we want the beds situated.  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

• Like 1

How did you book... directly with HAL, via an independent TA, online via another travel site?

When we booked our April sailing directly on HAL's site, we were asked these preferences during the booking process, and our requests were confirmed on our booking confirmation from HAL under 'Cruise Details'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KroozNut said:

How did you book... directly with HAL, via an independent TA, online via another travel site?

When we booked our April sailing directly on HAL's site, we were asked these preferences during the booking process, and our requests were confirmed on our booking confirmation from HAL under 'Cruise Details'.

Through TA and she didn't ask!  I have been able to do it in Personaliser on other cruise lines, but can't find it on HAL

26 minutes ago, Dreamer115 said:

Through TA and she didn't ask!  I have been able to do it in Personaliser on other cruise lines, but can't find it on HAL

If you booked through a TA, then you need to make the arrangements through the TA. She is your agent, and you have given her the job of taking care of everything for you. 
She works for you and you don't even have to pay her! HAL will do that for you. 

Just call her, and let her know what you want. If the bed isn't as you asked when you arrive (don't be too surprised if it isn't), it's no big deal. Let the cabin steward know, and it will be done long before bedtime. Dinner options, especially if you want fixed seating, is more important to get set now. 

• Like 2