New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

On 3/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, terrydtx said:

You need to look at the list of spirits and wines by the glass offered at $11 and under and $15 and under, not really very many so we stay at SBP.

ANy idea where I can find this?

Here's a link to the all of the wines, cocktails, etc by the glass.

https://profcruise.com/holland-america-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2022/ 

What is shown on the link may be confusing but if you scroll down to the 'Lido Bar, Seaview Bar, and Sun Bar Menus and Drink Prices 2022' it gives you the best idea of what is offered. We were just on a cruise in November and the list looks accurate. I'm fairly picky about what I like to drink and find that there are several choices below $11 that are worth drinking and it's not worth it to me to upgrade from that.

Edited by '51 Pinot
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:05 AM, ccmt said:

For the soda package, can just one person in the room purchase it?

Yes just one person can purchase it, and technically only that person is allowed to drink the soda, because you're only paying for that person to benefit from the package. In reality, how are they going to check? One person can fill up the glass or get soda and then later on share it to his/her roommate without the staff knowing. So in other words, yes usually only one person needs to purchase it. 

We were hoping that we could take 12 cans of Diet Coke on board, but that looks like only "water" is allowed to be brought on board (and wine, subject to corkage fee). 

Does "water" just mean plain water, or are you allowed to bring cans of flavored sparkling water, like La Croix? 

On 3/20/2022 at 3:34 PM, nyold said:

Yes just one person can purchase it, and technically only that person is allowed to drink the soda, because you're only paying for that person to benefit from the package. In reality, how are they going to check? One person can fill up the glass or get soda and then later on share it to his/her roommate without the staff knowing. So in other words, yes usually only one person needs to purchase it. 

So it's okay to steal as long as your on HAL?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We’re booked for a Canada/NE cruise later this summer (Neptune Suite on Zaandam) and I have a few questions:

1) A friend is interested in joining us and it looks like the pull out couch would work fine to accommodate a third person. What’s the best way to go about adding an extra person to an already booked room? Should we reach out to the big box store we initially booked with or directly to Holland America?

2) The two of us that are already booked are under the “have it all promotion.” If I understand it correctly, you can’t apply “have it all” to a third person in the room. Does that mean the third person will be required to purchase the signature beverage package, since some people in the room already have it? Just trying to understand what the end costs might be for this additional person

3) We already booked a dinner for the Pinnacle Grill with our complimentary “have it all” dinner credits, but would like to change it, both to add our third person and because I’m fairly sure that we booked for one of the gala nights (bar harbor) and we’d rather eat at our fixed dinning in the MDR on the gala evenings. I don’t see an option to change the reservation, but I can cancel it. If I cancel it, do we get our dinner credits back or do we just loose them? Do we need to wait until we’re on the ship to try to change nights?

I’ve found this whole thread to be extremely helpful and am hopeful that someone might have some insights regarding these questions. Thanks!

36 minutes ago, ACorgan said:

We’re booked for a Canada/NE cruise later this summer (Neptune Suite on Zaandam) and I have a few questions:

1) A friend is interested in joining us and it looks like the pull out couch would work fine to accommodate a third person. What’s the best way to go about adding an extra person to an already booked room? Should we reach out to the big box store we initially booked with or directly to Holland America?

2) The two of us that are already booked are under the “have it all promotion.” If I understand it correctly, you can’t apply “have it all” to a third person in the room. Does that mean the third person will be required to purchase the signature beverage package, since some people in the room already have it? Just trying to understand what the end costs might be for this additional person

3) We already booked a dinner for the Pinnacle Grill with our complimentary “have it all” dinner credits, but would like to change it, both to add our third person and because I’m fairly sure that we booked for one of the gala nights (bar harbor) and we’d rather eat at our fixed dinning in the MDR on the gala evenings. I don’t see an option to change the reservation, but I can cancel it. If I cancel it, do we get our dinner credits back or do we just loose them? Do we need to wait until we’re on the ship to try to change nights?

I’ve found this whole thread to be extremely helpful and am hopeful that someone might have some insights regarding these questions. Thanks!

1) HAL will not "deal" with you given you have booked through a TA. You will need to liaise with them.

2) As you have already identified the 3rd person will need to have the beverage package. I expect they will need to pay full price rather than the HIA 50% rate but am no expert on this aspect.

3)Just cancel your booking and rebook for all 3. I am sure your credit will "reimbursed".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nang said:

3)Just cancel your booking and rebook for all 3. I am sure your credit will "reimbursed".

For this one, I would recommend waiting until after you board, and making the adjustments (date/# in party) then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How much is unlimited internet on a Holland America Grand Voyage? 

I apologize if the answer is available elsewhere, but what my searches are coming up with is all over the place.

I'm trying to do a cost comparison between a Zuiderdam veranda cabin with internet and laundry added and a suite with those things included.

10 minutes ago, Super Curly said:

Does HAL periodically offer discounts on shore excursions booked ahead of the cruise like RCL?

Not that I have ever noticed. The price I've seen on board is the same as the price when I booked in advance, assuming the excursion is still available. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Super Curly said:

Does HAL periodically offer discounts on shore excursions booked ahead of the cruise like RCL?

We received a 10% discount for booking early on a shore excursion we're taking in La Paz during our 13 April Zuiderdam sailing (as part of the older HIA package).

On the other hand sometimes if an excursion is popular they may add a second group once onboard and you might get a time better suited to your schedule. Only do this for that extra excursion not for a must-do

8 hours ago, islandwoman said:

How much is unlimited internet on a Holland America Grand Voyage? 

I apologize if the answer is available elsewhere, but what my searches are coming up with is all over the place.

I'm trying to do a cost comparison between a Zuiderdam veranda cabin with internet and laundry added and a suite with those things included.

This is the last table of prices I have seen. Not sure of the pricing on longer cruises.  Perhaps @Crew News has access to a price list or knows who to contact.

A2FDD5F8-E6FC-44AD-BA8C-4177B8043B38.jpeg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

This is the last table of prices I have seen. Not sure of the pricing on longer cruises.  Perhaps @Crew News has access to a price list or knows who to contact.

A call to Ship Services might get an answer:  Phone: 1–800–541–1576

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

Does HAL use cards for room access? Will they punch a hole so I can attach a lanyard?

Yes they use cards and there is a space to attach a lanyard.  In the rare chance there isn’t (had one once) I went to Guest Services and they punched a hole for me.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Question: our dining says CONFIRMED: MAIN.

Does that mean we have assigned seating in the main dining room, and I don't need to book my own dinners?  Thanks.

Yes, you have assigned seating at the main dining time in the Main Dining Room.  Depending on your location/ship, main dining is around 8:00pm.  It will say on your ship card.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, you have assigned seating at the main dining time in the Main Dining Room.  Depending on your location/ship, main dining is around 8:00pm.  It will say on your ship card.  Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!!

• Like 1

It's been a while since we've cruised HAL - doing a simple 7-day, Westerdam cruise to Alaska, June 12-19. Does anyone know what time the Lincoln Center concerts are in the evenings?  It will affect dinner time reservations. Is the dress-up gala on Thurs, the 5th night of the cruise? Is that a good night to go to the Pinnacle Grill to skip all the fussy dress-up? What are the electric outlets and computer/cell phone recharging facilities like?  Thank you so much!!

10 minutes ago, ToXS said:

Does anyone know what time the Lincoln Center concerts are in the evenings?  It will affect dinner time reservations. Is the dress-up gala on Thurs, the 5th night of the cruise? Is that a good night to go to the Pinnacle Grill to skip all the fussy dress-up? What are the electric outlets and computer/cell phone recharging facilities like?

The Westerdam has not yet started its Alaskan season - you are on the first cruise. We will be doing the same itinerary in July.

The When & Where schedules are being posted for a Zuiderdam 7-day cruise at https://rogerjett-photography.com/  That should give you some idea of when concerts are.

The Gala Nights should be Monday (At Sea) and Friday (leave Ketchikan at 1PM). The evening dress codes apply to all restaurants but the Lido Market, so Pinnacle Grill will be the same as the MDR. Remember that Gala Attire for men is a collared shirt and no jeans - not really "fussy dress-up".

I have not been on a Vista-class ship, so can't say for sure what outlets are where. See this thread further down the page to ask:  Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022