Iceland Raises Volcano Alert Level

aliaschief

A good reason to have trip insurance if your flying or cruising in Europe.

Remember a couple of years ago when Iceland's Volcano erupted and closed down air lanes?

The following link shows raised alerts for volcano activity. Of course we are flying to Denmark Sunday via Iceland on Island Air.

Some events you just can't control but trip insurance can make it more bearable!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/18/us-iceland-volcano-idUKKBN0GI1BY20140818

A few thoughts on Iceland and volcanoes. We were there in June, taking a full day tour along the coast in a small van. Our delightful guide kept us enthralled with volcano tales- and of course, we had been to see "volcano movies" at the Reykjavik cinema. He told volcano activity was constantly monitored, and we would receive advance warning of eruption. So when his phone began ringing frequently, I had to ask, is that our warning call?? Well, it was not, but I remember the volcanic ash spilling over the countryside, the black ash covering glacial ice, and the pictures of the smoke spewing from the mountaintop and blacking out the sky. People would talk about how the last eruption caused lots of air traffic problems- lots of anecdotes!

Second, re Iceland Air- we were new to this carrier. At Keflavik, gate agents did not call seating. All over the terminal, passengers just lined up. We figured that out! Second, in gate area, bathrooms were down a flight of stairs. We had to hoist the carryons and make a fast getaway. However, we were rewarded with best bathrooms ever- ingenious Dyson one-piece faucet-dryer and loads of square footage!. Third, trip thru terminal to board took forever. We were lingering in snack bar - then we realized there were 2 more passport check areas for us citizens- slow, slow, slow. Last chance for a hotdog too. Unless you are in saga class, on board offerings were slim. I paid $17 for a chicken Caesar salad without chicken, the vegetarian option. You do get a water at boarding. Also, after thoroughly researching strike patterns, and feeling relieved that all seemed to be over by mid-June, we got hit with a one day strike- no flights! We managed to get out of BOS a day early and get another night's hotel in Reykjavik. But flight was a bargain, even tho hotel was more than South Beach for New Year's for basic dorm rooms! European cruising is only way to go, but I digress.......Have a wonderful trip! No eruptions!

Remember a couple of years ago when Iceland's Volcano erupted and closed down air lanes?

The following link shows raised alerts for volcano activity. Of course we are flying to Denmark Sunday via Iceland on Island Air.

Some events you just can't control but trip insurance can make it more bearable!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/18/us-iceland-volcano-idUKKBN0GI1BY20140818

Yes I do, it was in April/May 2010 and I was on the Star Princess doing a transAtlantic when that occurred and I had a flight home from Copenhagen on Iceland Air. When the ship arrived in Copenhagen after crossing the Atlantic the airports were shut down. Fortunately I had booked it with a Baltic cruise (after the transAtlantic) and by the time I returned back to Copenhagen the airports were open again. The flights home were all running on schedule by then.

As a side note: the airlines rates were ridiculous, Delta wanted more for a one way flight from CPH to CMH than than around trip ticket, etc. I ended up with pretty reasonable priced flights: however, I had to make 3 seperate bookings on 3 different airlines to do it, i.e. US Airways from CMH to FLL, Iceland Air from CPH to BOS, and American from BOS to CMH. Fortunately Iceland Air was running a pretty good special.

Edited by ScriptOhio

Praying that you will get there without any interruptions.

One bit of good news is there is MUCH more information known to airlines today than in 2010 regarding flying through ash. In 2010 the cancellations were out of the unknown, since then major studies have been conducted and flying will be less impacted by the exact same event.

We fly to Europe in two weeks so we too are on edge. We all hope this ends up being a non-event!

Not loosing any sleep over this. Have no control. But always appreciate prayers. Thanks.

Just wanted folks to know that being caught without trip insurance added cost could be significant if flights were cancelled.

Chief:

Best wishes for a wonderful voyage on a similar itinerary that we sailed last August/September on the Eurodam!

Bon Voyage!

A few thoughts on Iceland and volcanoes. We were there in June, taking a full day tour along the coast in a small van. Our delightful guide kept us enthralled with volcano tales- and of course, we had been to see "volcano movies" at the Reykjavik cinema. He told volcano activity was constantly monitored, and we would receive advance warning of eruption. So when his phone began ringing frequently, I had to ask, is that our warning call?? Well, it was not, but I remember the volcanic ash spilling over the countryside, the black ash covering glacial ice, and the pictures of the smoke spewing from the mountaintop and blacking out the sky. People would talk about how the last eruption caused lots of air traffic problems- lots of anecdotes!

Second, re Iceland Air- we were new to this carrier. At Keflavik, gate agents did not call seating. All over the terminal, passengers just lined up. We figured that out! Second, in gate area, bathrooms were down a flight of stairs. We had to hoist the carryons and make a fast getaway. However, we were rewarded with best bathrooms ever- ingenious Dyson one-piece faucet-dryer and loads of square footage!. Third, trip thru terminal to board took forever. We were lingering in snack bar - then we realized there were 2 more passport check areas for us citizens- slow, slow, slow. Last chance for a hotdog too. Unless you are in saga class, on board offerings were slim. I paid $17 for a chicken Caesar salad without chicken, the vegetarian option. You do get a water at boarding. Also, after thoroughly researching strike patterns, and feeling relieved that all seemed to be over by mid-June, we got hit with a one day strike- no flights! We managed to get out of BOS a day early and get another night's hotel in Reykjavik. But flight was a bargain, even tho hotel was more than South Beach for New Year's for basic dorm rooms! European cruising is only way to go, but I digress.......Have a wonderful trip! No eruptions!

Your description of Keflavic is spot-on! I don't think I've ever had my passport and ticket checked at so many points. The gate area is insane. It reminded me of Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC at rush hour! It was difficult to tell which line was for which gate. And after we passed the final check, we were in a holding pen with very little seating. We chose to stand near the stairway, along with a few other passengers, rather than take seats. Sure enough, boarding was just "y'all come on now," no boarding by rows. So we were able to go right up the stairs and get to the jetway without standing in yet another line. No priority boarding for people needing assistance, people with babies, first class. Just mass boarding.

A friend was supposed to fly home from Rome (not Icelandair) when the volcano erupted. Poor thing, to be stranded in Rome. She was grateful for the trip insurance that covered her extra expenses. After that experience, she gave me some good advice. When you travel save EVERY receipt!

Chief! Best wishes for a safe and fun trip and cruise. I know you and DW have been planning this cruise for quite some time. I like your attitude of not sweating things outside of your control; planning for the unexpected sure makes that easier.

Have a terrific cruise! :D

I hope it doesn't happen again, it was a mess last time.

Chief! Best wishes for a safe and fun trip and cruise. I know you and DW have been planning this cruise for quite some time. I like your attitude of not sweating things outside of your control; planning for the unexpected sure makes that easier.

Have a terrific cruise! :D

Thanks Rich. After our 52 years of combined military service we are well versed in not sweating the small stuff.

We arrive NYC Sept. 14; so the Eurodam's sail-away could be the first Dam Sail-Away of the year?

Yes I do, it was in April/May 2010 and I was on the Star Princess doing a transAtlantic when that occurred and I had a flight home from Copenhagen on Iceland Air. When the ship arrived in Copenhagen after crossing the Atlantic the airports were shut down. Fortunately I had booked it with a Baltic cruise (after the transAtlantic) and by the time I returned back to Copenhagen the airports were open again. The flights home were all running on schedule by then.

As a side note: the airlines rates were ridiculous, Delta wanted more for a one way flight from CPH to CMH than than around trip ticket, etc. I ended up with pretty reasonable priced flights: however, I had to make 3 seperate bookings on 3 different airlines to do it, i.e. US Airways from CMH to FLL, Iceland Air from CPH to BOS, and American from BOS to CMH. Fortunately Iceland Air was running a pretty good special.

We were on a TA at the time, too. Fortunately we'd booked a back to back and all was clear by the time we flew home. However, a number of our CC roll call people were unable to get there for the second part. The ship offered special deals for the second part for TA passengers who'd like to stay. I think they had air available due to all the people who couldn't get out of the US. The entertainers couldn't get in or out as scheduled and the TA entertainers were signed to remain on the ship.

I hope this doesn't happen again as it makes people miss their planned trips and costs the providers lots of money they were counting on.

A good case for trip insurance if there ever was one.