Chocolate Buffet

mrscricket

A while ago I saw that on P&O cruises, they have a chocolate buffet. Is this on every ship and is it free or do I have to pay?

I was on Oceana a couple of weeks ago and this was free, but there was a VERY LONG line, the longest I have ever seen on a ship, and even longer than the line at disembarkation! People went nuts, and queued up for ages before it started, obviously those who had been before.

As a result of its popularity, it's held in one of the dining rooms and quite well organised, and you get to sit down at a table with your goodies and be served a cup of tea but, whether it's worth it or not is up to the individual.

I would not queue for it again, mainly because it largely had on offer gateau style chocolate cakes, which I am not fond of, and a weak chocolate fountain at the end with fruit, but no marshmallows.

It definitely was not the chocolate buffet I, and many others hoped for - real chocolates, and proper chocolate cake with chocolate icing etc.

But, that doesn't mean I still didn't stuff myself and ruined my appetite for dinner, meaning we had to eat very late! :D

I agree with nelly dean. We tried the chocolate buffet for the first time in Azura in May and our expectations were possibly a bit high, unusual for us. Probably wouldn't bother again, but then again probably will!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has this replaced the Midnight 'Chocoholics Buffet' that used to be on P & O a few years ago?

It used to be superb.

Must be talking pre 2001 as our first cruise in that year had the 'chocoholics' which I went to. Never been back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On the 2012 Oriana World cruise the chocoholics was held in the Conservatory and although crowded was navigable. It was something to behold with beautiful displays of chocolate carvings and all shapes and sizes of cakes and gateaux. This was repeated on each leg. There was a selection of hand made chocolates as well. We used to have a very light lunch so that we could indulge a little.:)

Has this replaced the Midnight 'Chocoholics Buffet' that used to be on P & O a few years ago?

It used to be superb.

Been cruising with P&O since 2000 and even though the chocaholics buffet is somewhat dumbed down compared to what it used to be I have never had chocaholics buffet at midnight on any P&O ship I have been on.

Been cruising with P&O since 2000 and even though the chocaholics buffet is somewhat dumbed down compared to what it used to be I have never had chocaholics buffet at midnight on any P&O ship I have been on.

Although referred to as Midnight Buffets, they generally commenced between 23.30 to 23.45.

The 'Millennium' Christmas /New Year cruise on the Arcadia, and Summer and Christmas/New Year 2000/2001 on the Arcadia and Oriana respectively had Midnight Chocoholic Buffets.

From the Arcadia Christmas/ New Year cruise, which was our first ever cruise, I still remember seeing a passenger take a large plate onto which she placed several chocolate cakes on top of which she placed hot chocolate bread & butter pudding over all of which was poured hot chocolate custard.

It made me feel queasy just looking at it.

We stopped cruising with P & O after the Oriana cruise which was extremely poor.

I have been on 7 P and O cruises and the queue everytime has been far too long for me to stand in, therefore never managed to experience it.:(

That's a shame. I have arthritis in both knees and, after standing in line for about 10 minutes, I'd had enough, so I sat down on a chair in the atrium nearer to the start of the queue and waited for my husband to get to the front before joining him. There was no problem with other people, as it was obvious he had queued up for me.

So, maybe you could do that next time, so long as you are not a solo cruiser?

I could be wrong but I don't recall one on our 14 cruise on Oriana in February. To be fair though, it wouldn't appeal to either my wife or I as neither of us are particularly chocolate mad.

Now where did I leave that Dairy Milk Bar? :p

Our first cruise was 2001 on the old Arcadia - went on to be Ocean Village. There was a midnight chocoholics buffet, we were allowed to fill our plates and take them back to the cabin. The look on our kids (6 and 3yo) faces in the morning were a picture. It was amazing, there were cakes, desserts and many different types of "Thorntonesque" truffles.

Still have the pictures (pre digital) somewhere.

Although referred to as Midnight Buffets, they generally commenced between 23.30 to 23.45.

The 'Millennium' Christmas /New Year cruise on the Arcadia, and Summer and Christmas/New Year 2000/2001 on the Arcadia and Oriana respectively had Midnight Chocoholic Buffets.

From the Arcadia Christmas/ New Year cruise, which was our first ever cruise, I still remember seeing a passenger take a large plate onto which she placed several chocolate cakes on top of which she placed hot chocolate bread & butter pudding over all of which was poured hot chocolate custard.

It made me feel queasy just looking at it.

We stopped cruising with P & O after the Oriana cruise which was extremely poor.

We have cruised with P&O since 2000 on one of Aurora's maiden voyages and have since sailed on "new" Arcadia, Oceana, Oriana, Ventura and Azura and have never had a chocolate buffet at night only in afternoons to coincide with afternoon tea. You could queue and look through galleys and then onto a main restaurant for chocaholics buffet or as an alternative there has been a themed chocolate afternoon tea in buffet restaurant at same time.

There has been a Chocoholics buffet on all but one cruise I have been on with P and O. The exception was a short cruise.

Usually it is held in one of the main dining rooms and people queue down the staircase for cages which puts me off. On Oriana last month it was held in the buffet which worked very well and there was no queueing.

Call me a miserable old **** but why on earth would people stuff themselves with chocolate late at night just before going to bed after they have had a 5 course meal? Yes I do like chocolate, but that's just asking for weight gain and a headache!

Call me a miserable old **** but why on earth would people stuff themselves with chocolate late at night just before going to bed after they have had a 5 course meal? Yes I do like chocolate, but that's just asking for weight gain and a headache!

Because they can!