Alaska or Mediterranean Cruise??

jormot

I love the Baltics, too.

I must disagree with those who say that Alaska doesn't have a lot of history. Alaska has a whole lot of history, but it isn't in the buildings, it's in the geography and geology - the mountains, the fjords, the glaciers. It is a different kind of history, and to experience it, when in Alaska, get out of town!!

I guess I would amplify my last response, too, by saying that if this is a summertime anniversary I would hands down be choosing Alaska, but if it is in the fall (which I doubt since Alaska is under consideration) then I would do the Med. I would not want to contend with the heat and the crowds in the summer - it was crowded enough in October. The weather was much more pleasant then.

DH and I have been on 2 Northern European cruises & just got back from an Alaskan cruise. While all were wonderful, in my opinion, a Mediterranean cruise would be more special. That's what I'd do! :) I'm sure either trip would be fabulous though!

I agree completely with Bruin Steve. We did the Med cruise after reading Bruin Steve's review a number of years ago. We even did the excursions he suggested. We have cruised to Alaska, Hawaii, and Northern Europe. The Med surpasses everything!

We have done both. Loved Alaska, and will go back.

However, sailing into Venice was one of the most romantic things one can do, IMO. If you're going to do an itinerary that ends in Venice, I would try to book a ship that will still sail into the Grand Canal with the new size restrictions.

Our Med cruise was basically our honeymoon. As others have posted, the Med cruise is go, go, go, with a lot of walking. We did a 12-day and by the last few days, we eased up on the excursions and just would get off the ship, stroll around and enjoyed a seaside lunch before hitting Venice. We also spent 3 days in Rome on the front-end and 2 1/2 days in Venice on the back-end, taking the high-speed train back to Rome airport (which was great, BTW).

Save Alaska for when you're older, IMO.

My review, if you're interested: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=58214

Edited by SingerEsq
Add link for review

I would go to Alaska every summer if possible. I've loved every one of my cruises there. We haven't been on a Mediterranean cruise yet. All of my travels in Europe have been by plane and train. For many of the ports, I'd want more than one day.

If you can afford it, do the Mediterranean cruise. We just had the same dilemma deciding which cruise to take for our 10 year anniversary but decided to go all out with the Med cruise and are SO glad we did! Alaska is much more easily reached, so I think it's better to go further away while you have the chance. The Med was incredibly gorgeous and romantic! Alaska is fantastic, too, (we've done that cruise many times), but the Med is more exotic, in my opinion. Congratulations on 10 years, and have fun! :)

I will add that both Alaska and the Med are wonderful destinations. However, the Med is going to cost you more in time and money.

To start, the conversion from US dollar to EURO is not good for us Americans. You lose a considerable amount in the conversion. Then everything in Europe is more expensive, no cheap meals, hotels, excursions, etc.

While Alaska is more expensive than the lower 48, it is nowhere near as expensive as the Med. Alaska is part of the US, so no conversion of money is needed.

Plane fare from the US to Europe is going to cost more, and more than likely take longer to get there.

There will be a lot more walking on uneven ground, cobblestone streets, in the Med. But then glaciers and mountains in Alaska aren't for the disabled either.

Cruises usually are about 12 days Med versus 7 days for Alaska for cruise only. We added 1 day in Paris, 3 in Rome pre-cruise then 3 days in Venice and 2 more days in Paris post-cruise. We were gone from home a total of 21 days. Our Alaska cruisetour was only 11 days.

For cost comparison, our 11 day Alaska cruisetour came in at approximately $3000 pp ($270 per day). Our 21 day cruise in the Med came in at approximately $6000 pp ($285 per day).

Only OP can decide what is best for them. Go to your library and check out a couple of guide books for Alaska, and the Med. Make your decision as to a destination you want to see. Then the fun of trying to narrow down a cruise begins. Planning is half the fun for me. Have fun planning, then taking your Anniversary cruise.

We have done both, but the Med was romantic, exciting, and so interesting. We had three sea days on a 12 day cruise which was great. We were overnight in Venice and the next year we went back to Italy to take a further look at Venice, Florence and Rome, with new cities of Assis, Montecatina, and Pisa.

We live in Canada, so wildlife and nature is not as big a deal for us.

Enjoy either one!

My vote is for the Med. Yes, the port days are long but oh so magical! One day you're looking at the Sistine Chapel, another you can enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the Amalfi Coast, followed by the wonders of ancient Ephesus, standing at the top of Santorini, wandering the streets of Mykonos, climbing to the top of the Acropolis, up early for the sail in to Malta, being inspired by " God's Architect" , Antoni Gaudi in Barcelona.

Everything was a wonder and delight.

Don't get me wrong, Alaska is on my bucket list but so glad I took this trip before mobility issues interfere with my ability to see it all!

Sadly, I did see older passengers with canes and walkers who could never have attempted many of the excursions we took.

My original intent was to sail the Med and then plan a cruise to Alaska. As a result of my experience, Alaska is on the back burner while I plan another Med cruise for 2016.