Dave’s Live from Amsterdam 14-day Alaska, August 24 – September 7, 2014

RetiredMustang

Thanks Dave (again).

I'm very excited to hear you had an Indonesian lunch... it leaves hope that the line hasn't forgotten their name.

Here is a shot of you docked at 7:05am local time this morning. Welcome back.

2ajonkm.png

And thanks for your live from. I have especially enjoyed it.

Dave,

Thanks for letting wife & I share your trip. I would say "Dave's got more to read and see" then we would enjoy it together. Still cant believe the great whale photos from Sitka with a 5x zoom. I wish we would have had the menus before we went in June.

Thanks Again & Safe Travels to You

sightcrr

Thank for the great description and pictures of your cruise. I don't think we will ever get to Alaska, but think I have come as close to really seeing it through your thread.

I have been there 17 of the last 18 Summers and that is a Blessing. I love that place.

Dave,

I have enjoyed "cruising along" with you. Your thread is fantastic! Although we have been to Alaska twice on seven day itineraries on other cruise lines, we hope to go again in 2016 on a 14 day HAL cruise to celebrate our anniversary.

Thanks again and happy cruising to you and your wife wherever you go.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Dave,

... Still cant believe the great whale photos from Sitka with a 5x zoom. ... sightcrr

I set the camera at its highest resolution (4288 x 3216), figuring I would have to crop the shots down to get something. But, even so, we were closer than I though we would get. For comparison, here are the "raw" shots of one of the whale tail photos and one of the otters, to show how they looked at simple 5X zoom before cropping:

DSCF4793_zpscac6ef16.jpg

DSCF4816_zps79842e7a.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the blog; I enjoyed doing it.

Dave

Sunday, Sept. 7, Debarkation Day

We arrived in Seattle on time and with great weather – VermeulT captured our arrival with a web cam shot. We had chosen late independent departure, since we are staying the night in Seattle. Our time to leave was 9 a.m., and we had a very easy time going ashore, finding our bags, going through customs/immigration and out to a taxi. We checked into our hotel, and went out for lunch, and have now caught up the computer with Norton and Windows updates.

Here are today’s Cruise Log pages:

Cruiselog1_zps7b4b2a65.jpg

Cruiselog2_zpsdcca133b.jpg

With that, I will close the blog, except for answering your questions.

Hope to see you on another Dam ship sometime,

Dave

Dave - Thank you so much for doing this blog. We did this 14-day trip in May 2011. I think it is important for others to see and understand the difference between a 7-day and a true 14-day trip. We thought this itinerary was wonderful. Thanks for the memories, and thanks for sharing with others.

Thank you for the great review - especially enjoyed reading about Kodiak and Homer.

We did this cruise in September 2012 and we planned on doing it again in 2015.

When we did it in 2012, we missed going to Kodiak and Homer because of a fast moving storm, that we had to out run. The captain rescheduled to go to Skagway, but that was closed off also (same storm). Instead we did Glacier Bay but we still missed two ports. We want to be able to go to those, before we move on to another cruise.

The Statendam is scheduled to go there in 2015, but don't know if it will or not with the sale to P & O winding up. The renovation list has been posted. Does anyone know which ship will be replacing the Statendam on the schedules.

Thanks

Okie1946

Edited by Okie1946

Hi, Dave. Nice to meet you on board, and wish we had been able to spend some time really chatting.

I just spent the last couple of hours reading all about your cruise (and checking out some of the pics), and realized again that two people on the same ship at the same time take two different cruises. :) You seem to have had a great time of it! The pics were great.

Thanks for refreshing my memory (it's short these days) of what it was like.