Shorts are now fine for elegant

Crusin Hogs

As we will be on the Glory in 79 days, I will wait til the week before and decide what to pack. Hope that all the smoke will clear over what is actually to be worn and for me, shorts and tee are what I hope to wear. Clean and respectful will be the norm. Dress up night, I may even splurge for a neon jockstrap.

We were on the Conquest Aug. 24 sailing.

The first night was of course casual. The second night was elegant.

On the 3rd night my son asked if he can wear shorts. I told him no, we should wear long pants to main dining room for dinner.

Well, after we got there, he started counting the people in shorts. It got to 40+ very quickly. There were lots of people in shorts (not the dressy shorts, but all kinds, including gym shorts), T-shirt, flip-flops. Then there were some in more "dinner wear" clothing, and even some in tux.

I hope you explained to your son the difference. There are people that dress nice and then there are slobs. (gym shorts, T-Shirts, flip flops)

Usually nice shorts and a polo shirt or button down short sleeve shirt. I suppose some would refer to it as "resort casual". No tank top or sleeveless shirt. I wouldn't want some blue-hair to have a coronary if she saw my arm pit hair while eating dinner.

I am not a blue-hair and I don't want to see your "hair" also.......I doubt you want to see mine.

To each his own.

The thing that I liked most about my 1st cruise (1988) was dressing up for dinner. While I don't necessarily dress up each night, I do change for dinner. That said, what I wear has nothing has nothing to do with anyone except the folks I am cruising with.

For those that are comfortable in shorts, do your thing!!! For those that like the dress up thing, put on your glad rags and enjoy.

I am one that enjoys wearing formal attire on elegant night. Sad to see it going away. I guess to each their own but I think some will definitely be stretching the limits when it comes to the "tailored shorts".

If I sail Carnival again, I will continue to wear my formal attire. Can honestly say glad that my next 3 cruises are on Princess.

I am not a blue-hair and I don't want to see your "hair" also.......I doubt you want to see mine.

Quite honestly, body hair of any sort doesn't really bother me. While in the Army, I was stationed in Germany for three years. I'll admit I was somewhat taken aback the first time I saw a young woman with unshaved legs. But I soon realized it was because of cultural differences. We're just not used to things like that here in the U.S. It's funny how people can be open-minded and accepting of some things, like differences in religion, politics, and life-styles, but not so when it comes to things like body hair. Hairy back? Hairy legs? Hairy armpits? Why do some say "Ewww! That's disgusting!" ? Cultural differences I guess.

Personally I hate this. There is nothing wrong with dressing up once and awhile.

And you wonder why carnival is called walmart of the sea in certain circles.

Blue light specials, dirt cheap cruises. Why even bother with a MDR. Just make it look like a local diner, and offer "fancy" hamburgers and today's special on a chalk board.

We had our first ever cruise last April/May. Not once did I ever look around in dismay or comment at what others were wearing in the dining room. I was focused on my beautiful bride of 20 years and good conversation......Up at the pool? Now that was another story. Many many people have to realize when their bodies just arent made for a banana hammock or bikini.......just sayin' !! Funny, I never see posts complaining about THAT!

Why would anyone be so pretentious as to care what ANOTHER person was wearing at dinner? If you like to dress up, by all means do it. If not, dont.

I love the idea of the poster above about having one dining room for playing dress up and the other for those who want to go more casual. Me? Im not going to be packing a suit or tux any time soon. Im on vacation.

Blue light specials, dirt cheap cruises. Why even bother with a MDR. Just make it look like a local diner, and offer "fancy" hamburgers and today's special on a chalk board.

As long as it's a black, dry erase board with neon markers, under a black light. Now that's classy.

Can't wait for the rule change to smoke my e-cig at dinner. If nobody likes my e-cig, they can look the other way. It doesn't hurt them, and I paid good money for my cruise to relax and do what I want....

Not a smoker and not a fan of smoking but I agree with the e-cig and vaping. It doesn't affect me so I could care less what you do. Okay back on topic.

I am one that enjoys wearing formal attire on elegant night. Sad to see it going away. I guess to each their own but I think some will definitely be stretching the limits when it comes to the "tailored shorts".

If I sail Carnival again, I will continue to wear my formal attire. Can honestly say glad that my next 3 cruises are on Princess.

Coincidence. There's an active thread right now about the same topic on the Princess board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095866

So, I guess it is time to pack my Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader Hot Pants for Elegant Night.

So.

We now have "tailored" shorts on Elegant Night.

Recorded Music and Videos for Showroom Shows.

Hasbro for an Evening Show.

But we do have unlimited Alcohol for an additional price.

And Guy's Burgers.

How long before they institute 'Family Style Dining' where the Waiters just plop a large dish in the middle of the table and you serve yourself. Oops, that is called American Table isn't it.

What the hell has happened to Carnival. They are no longer just the Walmart of Seas, they are turning into the Dollar Tree of the Seas.

Show some class folks. The Waiters will be dressed better than you.

So, I guess it is time to pack my Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader Hot Pants for Elegant Night.

So.

And Guy's Burgers.

How long before they institute 'Family Style Dining' where the Waiters just plop a large dish in the middle of the table and you serve yourself. Oops, that is called American Table isn't it.

What the hell has happened to Carnival. They are no longer just the Walmart of Seas, they are turning into the Dollar Tree of the Seas.

I dont want to hijack this thread by being off topic, but I think in answer to this specific reply, you have to look at the whole picture. Look at the small number of people on here compared to the vast number that cruise with Carnival and then look at the differences in opinion in just this small cross section. I would bet for the vast majority of CCL Cruisers, its all about money. I would also bet that for that same vast majority, the things you mention do not rank real high on their concerns.

When I booked my cruise for this coming April, it was purely based on price as I am bringing my kids and grandson. Looking at the identical cruise with NCL, I would have paid $1800 for our balcony and $2400 for our inside room versus CCL at (listed price, ours was less) $1380 and $1720 respectively. Thats a total savings of $1100! Thats big for an average family.

I think if you want elegant, you want amenities, you want fancy.....you go to another line that has all of that and be willing to pay for it.

You can only do so much and keep your prices down.

So.

And Guy's Burgers.

I don't happen to cruise Carnival for any of the items above that tend to bother you. I just want a relaxing vacation away from work and stress, on the ocean, where I am pampered and fed good food, taken to foreign islands, and given good entertainment at night. All of these things I can get on Carnival at a good price. You can talk about poor food and entertainment all you like...but that is subjective and I personally have no issues with what Carnival offers for the price I am paying. If I want anything more than that, and sometimes I do, I will search out a ship that offers me what I want, even if it is a different line, and pay a higher price if necessary.

I personally like a more casual dress code, not everyone does. It is always a plus for us when the ships we are looking at have a more relaxed dress code since we do not prefer to "dress up" for dinner. Just like it should be a plus for you if the ship has a more formal dress code. Telling people to show some "class" because they don't like to vacation as you do...IMHO shows a lack of class in itself. If you don't like what a ship has to offer you, choose another ship....but don't mock the people who enjoy what that ship has to offer. I think it is a good thing that different ships offer different things. We are not all the same. There is nothing wrong with the way I like to vacation or the way you like to vacation...it is personal preference. It is too bad you have have a hard time comprehending this. The cruise industry knows this and thats why they offer us options.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I don't happen to cruise Carnival for any of the items above that tend to bother you. I just want a relaxing vacation away from work and stress, on the ocean, where I am pampered and fed good food, taken to foreign islands, and given good entertainment at night. All of these things I can get on Carnival at a good price. You can talk about poor food and entertainment all you like...but that is subjective and I personally have no issues with what Carnival offers for the price I am paying. If I want anything more than that, and sometimes I do, I will search out a ship that offers me what I want, even if it is a different line, and pay a higher price if necessary.

I personally like a more casual dress code, not everyone does. It is always a plus for us when the ships we are looking at have a more relaxed dress code since we do not prefer to "dress up" for dinner. Just like it should be a plus for you if the ship has a more formal dress code. Telling people to show some "class" because they don't like to vacation as you do...IMHO shows a lack of class in itself. If you don't like what a ship has to offer you, choose another ship....but don't mock the people who enjoy what that ship has to offer. I think it is a good thing that different ships offer different things. We are not all the same. There is nothing wrong with the way I like to vacation or the way you like to vacation...it is personal preference. It is too bad you have have a hard time comprehending this. The cruise industry knows this and thats why they offer us options.

I am so glad carnival is not listening to the snobs who cruise that say, men who wear shorts are not real men, people who wear shorts have no class, or the food tastes terrible if someone is in the dining room with shorts on. Glad to see carnival not listening to them and giving what the majority of the people want.. which is a stress free vacation and allow them to be comfortable during dinner. For some that is dressing up, others its more casual. For the people that want to dress up, go for it, no rule against it. Just like no rule against dressing in shorts.

Personally I don't care for it, but it is what it is. Of course I do wear capris for non-elegant night as I don't think of them as much as "shorts." I like getting a little more dressed up for dinner, it just feels more special. I don't mind shorts for non-elegant nights and understand it saves on packing. However, even at the AIs we stayed at in Mexico, they required long pants in the specialty restaurants (not sure if it was just our resorts). Even if shorts were allowed most nights it would be fun if there was one night when people dressed up. IMO shorts are not dressing up. No, what other people are wearing does not change the way my food tastes or really impact me that much, but it is nice to have one night that feels a little more "fancy."

However, apparently there are a lot of people that don't feel that way, which is why Carnival changed its dress code. I will still wear what I want and will probably still wear a dress (even if its just a sundress), with DH in long pants on elegant night. But I respect that Carnival changed it, if that is what most people want. Just the way it is.