Noro Virus onSea Princess

Eaglemad

Because norovirus outbreaks are mostly caused by the embarkation of already sick passengers, it just seems that these endless threads announcing an outbreak on an ongoing cruise just doesn't do anyone any good.

Noro happens. As another poster said, it happens anywhere and everywhere. The news media likes to make a big deal about it on cruise lines so it gets more attention.

Wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

Enough.

Wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

Yes and try not to use the handrails unless you wash your hands, and still people don't wash hands after the loo and use the door knobs to open the door - why they leave the waste bins near the door so you can use the paper towel to wipe hands then open the door and throw the towel away.

Sorry to those who already know but there are some really oblivious people around.:confused:

Obviously Noro Virus can happen anywhere and anytime and is the major issue that will spoil any cruise

But I would have thought this would be the best forum to drum it into peoples heads the importance of cleanliness in a confined environment

Unless Cruise Culture is to turn a blind eye to the issue and hope it doesnt happen on the next cruise. :o

Obviously Noro Virus can happen anywhere and anytime and is the major issue that will spoil any cruise

But I would have thought this would be the best forum to drum it into peoples heads the importance of cleanliness in a confined environment

Unless Cruise Culture is to turn a blind eye to the issue and hope it doesnt happen on the next cruise. :o

You're quite right that this is an appropriate forum for reporting this kind of thing, especially for ships that do not call in the US, as most countries don't have the transparency requirements that the USPH/CDC have in the US.

However, I think that most veteran CC posters (and I don't consider myself to be one yet) know that the subject has been beaten to death here (but I'm for reporting outbreaks), and that trying to drum cleanliness into folks is pretty darn near useless. As the saying goes (politically incorrectness noted), "you can't coach stupid". For those whose personal hygiene isn't the best, it's difficult to change a lifetime of habit. For those who don't feel it's necessary to take personal responsibility for their actions, it is always easier to blame the crew and the cruise line.

Sorry, probably moved this into a flame war, now. JMHO.

You're quite right that this is an appropriate forum for reporting this kind of thing, especially for ships that do not call in the US, as most countries don't have the transparency requirements that the USPH/CDC have in the US.

However, I think that most veteran CC posters (and I don't consider myself to be one yet) know that the subject has been beaten to death here (but I'm for reporting outbreaks), and that trying to drum cleanliness into folks is pretty darn near useless. As the saying goes (politically incorrectness noted), "you can't coach stupid". For those whose personal hygiene isn't the best, it's difficult to change a lifetime of habit. For those who don't feel it's necessary to take personal responsibility for their actions, it is always easier to blame the crew and the cruise line.

Sorry, probably moved this into a flame war, now. JMHO.

A crew member can be just as liable to bring this on board as a passenger.

Noro does not only affect passengers and side track employees.If you have travelled thousands of miles to your employment and you feel slightly unwell.You need the money to help feed your family back home.Are you going to inform your new employer ?

A crew member can be just as liable to bring this on board as a passenger.

Noro does not only affect passengers and side track employees.If you have travelled thousands of miles to your employment and you feel slightly unwell.You need the money to help feed your family back home.Are you going to inform your new employer ?

and risk termination? The crew still get paid regardless of whether they are sick or not. Its a 72 hour break for them.

The media makes every cruise line related issue seem much worse than it actually is (Concordia type disasters aside). Yeah, it sucks to be sick while on vacation, but it is not the cruise lines fault, and they do whatever they can to control the situation. A headline of "hundreds of sick people" sure sounds a lot worse than "5% are sick". These stories have a negative impact on cruise virgins, but for addicts like the lot of us, it is not worth a second thought.

I like knowing which ships have reported Noro outbreaks. If I am headed aboard that ship I would know to be even more vigilant on keeping myself healthy.

• Wash hands constantly
  • avoid hand rails and elevator buttons
  • sanitize slot machine with clorox wipes (yes I do this if Noro has been reported)
  • do not use public restrooms (if I am not aware of Noro I might be tempted)

So I think the knowing Noro is onboard is helpful.

When cruising, I'd rather live by the adage, "Knowledge is power" than "Ignorance is bliss", so thank you for sharing. I already take substantial steps to lessen my risk of getting sick Onboard. When I hear of an outbreak, I take even more precautions. I am not at all one who proclaims that noro is a cruise illness; it's everywhere, but we still need to be aware and be careful. For those who are tired of reading about it, just skip over this thread.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Really makes no difference. One should always be vigilant about your health. Dropping your guard because there are no reports from the last cruise just leaves you open to infection from the newly embarking passengers.

This kind of announcement only has value if you are the type who will cancel your imminent fully paid-for cruise because of a noro outbreak.

That said, I agree people have to be educated about the possibility of noro and prevention measures, but simply posting there's been an outbreak IMHO is not the way to do it. It rather reeks of scare-mongering.

Edited by beg3yrs

All clear on Sea Princess now back to rolls and butter etc on the tables and no problems

This outbreak was probable down to the people we heard in Fremantle saying they filled in their medical form but were not going to tell the truth as they would have been locked in their cabin No Princess fault but lazy unheigenic people

All clear on Sea Princess now back to rolls and butter etc on the tables and no problems

This outbreak was probable down to the people we heard in Fremantle saying they filled in their medical form but were not going to tell the truth as they would have been locked in their cabin No Princess fault but lazy unheigenic people

Rolls and butter, just add an escargot dish to dip them in. :D

You think Fremantleites are the only ones that lie on that form? :rolleyes:

Rolls and butter, just add an escargot dish to dip them in. :D

You think Fremantleites are the only ones that lie on that form? :rolleyes:

No Having watched several 'people' not wash in the toilets I know it is from every town There will always be dirty people and the others will always suffer sadly.

No surprise. Its everywhere.

Yep, it was on the Star Princess on our cruise to Alaska. What a pain. No serving yourself in the buffet, no salt and pepper shakers, no serving yourself beverages. Even though they washed down the tables with disinfectant, we never saw them wipe the arms of the chairs down. That's the first thing people touch when they sit down. They also didn't serve the little carafes of cocktail snack mix when you ordered a drink. It just seemed like the whole ship shut down.:eek:

If you think about it, its a common issue in all places, hotels/airplanes/buses/trains/resorts etc etc. They just don't keep track or report like the cruiselines/CDC do.

This is very true, norovirus happens everywhere, but when it happens at a hotel, airport, restaurant, etc. the people scatter so it is a lot harder to track the illness. On a cruise, everyone is still there together so they know when it happened.

I don't feel a cruise ship is any more unhealthy than any other public place. I take the same precautions in all public areas.

Years ago, science teacher did an experiment to find out where the most germs were: Toilet seats, door handles to toilets, door handles to classrooms, keyboards in computer rooms, canteen counter and a few others. Worst - computer keyboards, one of the cleanest the toilet seats. go figure. You just have to use "normal, common sense" precautions. Oh I forgot, the problem with common sense is that it is not that common. LOL

No risk of an outbreak onboard her now. Continuing mechanical issues have forced princess to cancel at least her next cruise, maybe more. On her Treasure of Asia ports were missed due to propulsion issues but to princess's credit, they gave all passengers 50% of their cruise fair back.

Its time to make her into an artificial reef and give us a more 'updated' ship to serve the ever growing Australian cruise market.

When we were on the Emerald Princess last winter, our assistant waiter and our cabin steward both had noro at the same time, and the ship was not at a Code Red or Yellow. It appeared to be a crew issue. We thought for sure we'd end up with it but we didn't. We simply wash our hands constantly and then don't eat anything with them. I think that works, as that was the closest bullet we'd ever dodged.

A 12 inch piece of string is the best prevention for the Virus. String? How so?

Simple, tie one end to your left thumb. Then tie the other end to your right thumb. Then when you reach up to touch your face with your right hand, the left hand will pull it back down. :D

Bob