Just booked HAL for the first time!

Tbog12

Thought we would try something new! Have been on Royal and Carnival a few times!

What's your best piece of advice or suggestions for first time HAL cruisers?

Sailing feb 15, 2015 on Eurodam!

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

Edited by Tbog12

We like to have cocktails in the Silk Den and then dinner in the Tamarind Restaurant.

It is $20 per person and well worth it.

Welcome to CC.

The same here. I love the Silk Den - so pretty and peaceful. Food in the Tamarind is delicious and a lovely atmosphere.

We used to like the Maasdam the best until they changed it and prices changed as well. Now we like the Eurodam the best of the ships we've been on.

Thought we would try something new! Have been on Royal and Carnival a few times!

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

Welcome to HAL. Here is a link to dining and beverage menus on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Room Service is 24/7 and free.

I will have the Main Dining Room menus for your cruise in December 2014.

Thanks to all for your suggestions so far! Sounds wonderful! I am really looking forward to this cruise!

Typical age range of passengers?

I have read it is an "older" crowd. :confused:

Depends on your definition of "older". I started cruising with HAL when I was 43. I find most people to be between 45 - 75, with some younger and some older. I've read that the average age on HAL is something like 57.

I think you'll be doing a 7 day cruise which will likely have all age ranges. It's the longer cruises that may have an older average age because those of us that still work are less likely to take longer cruises.

Regardless of physical age I think you'll find a lot of "young at hearts". We've sailed RCCL and CCL too and found that our fellow passengers on HAL are, overall, the most interesting to talk to. Most are well traveled and the stories that go with that are fascinating.

We also like the cabins on HAL the best. We do verandahs and HAL's have bathtub/shower combos where RCCL had teeny showers only. The staff on HAL is IMHO even better than on the other two (and they were good :) ).

Our Favorites - Quoted from the HAL website:

Digital Workshop, powered by Windows® Guests will be able to “show and tell" their vacation memories, learning how to share all their digital memories through email, blogging and social networking — so friends and family can see where they've been cruising even before they return home. Free workshops taught by Microsoft-trained "techsperts" make it easy and fun, even for novices.

Join world-class musicians from the B.B. King Blues Club as they bring the blues and beyond to the ms Eurodam.

Edited by summersigh

Depends on your definition of "older". I started cruising with HAL when I was 43. I find most people to be between 45 - 75, with some younger and some older. I've read that the average age on HAL is something like 57.

I think you'll be doing a 7 day cruise which will likely have all age ranges. It's the longer cruises that may have an older average age because those of us that still work are less likely to take longer cruises.

Looks like I will fit right in! I am 52, my hubby is 61 and our daughter is 22. We are going on a school break so I suspect the age range will vary this cruise.

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

I think you'll like the Eurodam! We loved her! Like you, we were mostly RCCI and Carnival once at the time we tried HAL. Since then we've been on NCL's Epic as well, which for us was just okay. We were curious since the ships are smaller and we'd really only sailed Voyager Class ships and up on RCCI, what the difference would be. Yes, smaller, but oh so nice! The whole ship gives you a feel of 'old world' cruising ... all the wood, etc. It's a beautiful ship. We had a Superior (gty) suite and it was lovely. Might have been a tad smaller than the JS we're used to on RCCI, but plenty of room. We found the service and staff to be the best! The food, in our opinion, and that is subjective of course, but we found it exquisite! We also had heard it was an 'older' age group. Course, we're early 60s but consider ourselves 'young at hearts' since we are always on the go, active and adventurous, lol, but on our particular cruise there really was all ages ... 30's probably thru 70s. Also, as has been said, we found most of the people we met very well traveled, as well as very interesting and pleasant to talk to. We came home and told our neighbors about it and they booked within the next month and also had a blast! I think you'll like this cruise!! Enjoy and Happy Sailing! :)

I think you'll like the Eurodam! We loved her! Like you, we were mostly RCCI and Carnival once at the time we tried HAL. Since then we've been on NCL's Epic as well, which for us was just okay. We were curious since the ships are smaller and we'd really only sailed Voyager Class ships and up on RCCI, what the difference would be. Yes, smaller, but oh so nice! The whole ship gives you a feel of 'old world' cruising ... all the wood, etc. It's a beautiful ship. We had a Superior (gty) suite and it was lovely. Might have been a tad smaller than the JS we're used to on RCCI, but plenty of room. We found the service and staff to be the best! The food, in our opinion, and that is subjective of course, but we found it exquisite! We also had heard it was an 'older' age group. Course, we're early 60s but consider ourselves 'young at hearts' since we are always on the go, active and adventurous, lol, but on our particular cruise there really was all ages ... 30's probably thru 70s. Also, as has been said, we found most of the people we met very well traveled, as well as very interesting and pleasant to talk to. We came home and told our neighbors about it and they booked within the next month and also had a blast! I think you'll like this cruise!! Enjoy and Happy Sailing! :)

Thanks!!! Sounds great!

Welcome to HAL. Here is a link to dining and beverage menus on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Room Service is 24/7 and free.

I will have the Main Dining Room menus for your cruise in December 2014.

I have been trying for 2 days to get this info! Thanks a lot. I feel reassured now that we will be able to get wines to our taste.

I have been trying for 2 days to get this info! Thanks a lot. I feel reassured now that we will be able to get wines to our taste.

there are wine menus, bar menus, menus, on locations and just about most things on HALFacts.com. The link is in my signature. Just click on the link in my signature :)

Sorry, have been busy packing and missed your request. apologies.

I'm a little jealous.... we have over 100 days on HAL but have not been on either of their newer ships. Maybe next time! To answer your question, enjoy the room service: hot full breakfasts even on disembarkation day! Check out the library, maybe even check-out a complimentary iPod with the 45 minute tour of the ships art. If you are going to Alaska have a cup of hot Dutch pea soup out on deck while glacier viewing. Pick up one of the thousand free DVDs to view in your stateroom, or have them deliver it to your room. Enjoy a presentation on an intelligent topic. Just enjoy being treated well. m--