Luggage tags (not)

daka

I also think it's penny pinching a penny too far dropping the luggage tags. For the sake of 3,500 people trying to print stuff out, find a way of stopping them fall off I would just add 25 cents onto the cost of the cruise and re-introduce resilient tags.

Most importantly think of all the extra work load on staff who are already working very hard when tags do come off and they have to try and relocate bags with owners.

It costs 3500 passengers more money in printer ink and staff more sweat than it does Royal Caribbean in luggage tags.

Would it stop me cruising? Probably not but that isn't the way to run a business. Over deliver, don't deliver just enough to stop people walking away.

Henry :)

It's not "3500" passengers. Allure alone has 6000 passengers. It sails every week. That's over 300,000 per year on one ship! If each passenger took 2 bags each (we take 3), that's $156,000 just for Allure using your figure of $.25 per tag! So, figure Oasis in there and now you're at $312,000 per year printing luggage tags for only 2 ships!

It was not "penny pinching," it was "cost cutting." Fuel went up exponentially in the early 2000's. The "real cost" of cruising went down. My first cruise in 1998 on Grandeur of the Seas cost me $750 for a discounted inside cabin. We can now get inside cabins for around $500. The "real cost" of that inside cabin for $750 in 1998, based on inflation, would cost $1096 today. The "real cost" of a $500 cabin today would have cost $342 in 1998. So you can see that even though all costs have risen, the cost of a cabin has dropped about 1/2.

Like all other businesses, Royal Caribbean has found ways to reduce costs. Not printing luggage tags is an easy one. If you want to have printed ones, I believe (can't remember) you have an option to purchase them. Me, I'd rather keep the costs down. I have no problem printing my own or choosing to have them written at the port.

Edited by papaflamingo

It's not "3500" passengers. Allure alone has 6000 passengers. It sails every week. That's over 300,000 per year on one ship! If each passenger took 2 bags each (we take 3), that's $156,000 just for Allure using your figure of $.25 per tag! So, figure Oasis in there and now you're at $312,000 per year printing luggage tags for only 2 ships!

It was not "penny pinching," it was "cost cutting." Fuel went up exponentially in the early 2000's. The "real cost" of cruising went down. My first cruise in 1998 on Grandeur of the Seas cost me $750 for a discounted inside cabin. We can now get inside cabins for around $500. The "real cost" of that inside cabin for $750 in 1998, based on inflation, would cost $1096 today. The "real cost" of a $500 cabin today would have cost $342 in 1998. So you can see that even though all costs have risen, the cost of a cabin has dropped about 1/2.

Like all other businesses, Royal Caribbean has found ways to reduce costs. Not printing luggage tags is an easy one. If you want to have printed ones, I believe (can't remember) you have an option to purchase them. Me, I'd rather keep the costs down. I have no problem printing my own or choosing to have them written at the port.

It's not cost cutting though is it?

It's passing costs on to customers who don't benefit from Royal Caribbean's immense buying power. It isn't 25 cents a tag, it's 6 cents per strip of 6. I was being generous with my figures.

It looks as though most people get round the problem by stealing from their employer. How lovely....

Henry

We are packed and ready for our cruise tomorrow, BUT now I find that I need to PRINT MY OWN LUGGAGE TAGS...WHAT ?

This is our first Royal Caribbean cruise....we've been on every CELEBRITY SOLSTICE ship many times....

They ALWAYS sent us pre printed heavy duty tags.....cmon ROYAL

get with it.

Not a good start for this one......

Daka, you realize it took you more time and effort to start this thread than it would have taken to print and attach all of your luggage tags, right?

By now you're on your ship, so if this was your biggest inconvenience, then I guess you had a pretty good cruise. If not, then I guess it's back to Celebrity with you.

It's not cost cutting though is it?

It's passing costs on to customers who don't benefit from Royal Caribbean's immense buying power. It isn't 25 cents a tag, it's 6 cents per strip of 6. I was being generous with my figures.

It looks as though most people get round the problem by stealing from their employer. How lovely....

Henry

I'm with you Able Seaman. I'd rather pay the extra 25 cents than play luggage tag origami. Heck, add an extra buck if they have too. ;)

This is hard to describe but a guy at the hotel printed them for us. Then folded it up like a fan. Then bent it in half and put over the handle of your

suitcase. He stapled it about five times. He use to work for the cruise line so he

knew how to do it.

So RC wants everything done before you get to the cruise so you can get on

in record time. They are not going to sent tags to your house any more.

Really? Once you're within about 24 hours your cruise disappears off the RCI site, so they couldn't print them now if they wanted to.

You can save your luggage tags PDF to your hard drive and print them anytime you want, just select save as.

Shak

We are packed and ready for our cruise tomorrow, BUT now I find that I need to PRINT MY OWN LUGGAGE TAGS...WHAT ?

This is our first Royal Caribbean cruise....we've been on every CELEBRITY SOLSTICE ship many times....

They ALWAYS sent us pre printed heavy duty tags.....cmon ROYAL

get with it.

Not a good start for this one......

Years ago the airlines used to mail you an envelope containing the tickets that you bought over the phone. Then the 1980's happened, and with the home computer we were able to buy and print them in a more convenient manner. I'm sure some people complained about that too. Darn progress.

Years ago the airlines used to mail you an envelope containing the tickets that you bought over the phone. Then the 1980's happened, and with the home computer we were able to buy and print them in a more convenient manner. I'm sure some people complained about that too. Darn progress.

To be fair you're confusing your analogies.

With air transport you turn up with your bags. Did you pack them yourself? Did anyone ask you to courier drugs for them? Are you Taliban? Do you have guns, bombs, animals or toe nail clippers inside? Then, providing you answer no, no ,no & no they weigh the bag and attach a sturdy tag. They even stick a corresponding sicker on the back of your passport.

On a cruise you are greeted at the roadside by a scruffy looking gentleman who comments on the size and weight of your case. He then holds out his hand for a tip. He shuffles your bags around for a bit placing them some distance away from the trolley taking bags to the ship. He holds out his hand for a tip whilst staring you in the eye.

He remains thus.

Until you hand over US legal tender. He then throws your bag on the trolley.

You now have no clue as to the whereabouts of your bags, whether the staples, scented Basildon Bond paper or water based ink will hold out long enough to ever see them again. Thankfully there are only 5,468 other passengers each with 2.4 items. How hard can it be :)

Someone mentioned getting tags when you arrive at the ship. Not in the US you won't. What with hustling baggage handlers, whistle blowing police officers, taxi drivers desperate to populate the local accident and emergency department and children who suddenly need the toilet / a drink / to run around / take selfies or get lost you just open up your wallet let the man take what he wants and stumble into the crowd.

Edited by Able Seaman H

With air transport you turn up with your bags. Did you pack them yourself? Did anyone ask you to courier drugs for them? Are you Taliban? Do you have guns, bombs, animals or toe nail clippers inside? Then, providing you answer no, no ,no & no they weigh the bag and attach a sturdy tag. They even stick a corresponding sicker on the back of your passport.

Very poetically stated!

It seems like the airlines have given up on asking those questions about what's in your baggage over the past couple of years, at least from my experience. Though I did read about a guy that tried to smuggle something like a dozen live turtles inside of his pants, so maybe they should still be asking. Hopefully they weren't snapping turtles.

Just be sure to tip them appropriately.

Why?

1. Porter takes your bag, and will carry it to your car after the cruise.

2. Longshoreman - they work for the docks, and their job is to load ships. They take your luggage, box it up (those carts are shipping carts), grab it with a forklift, move it to an holding area, than load it onto the ship. At that point, the "Porters" take over, and deliver it to your room.

The difference between a porter and a longshoreman is pay. Giving out a tip to a person handling your bag a few seconds and makes $60,000.00 a year is fine for some, but no need to remind me who I should tip.

I'm all for tipping porters because they are the ones who work for tips.

Just something to think about.

On a cruise you are greeted at the roadside by a scruffy looking gentleman who comments on the size and weight of your case. He then holds out his hand for a tip. He shuffles your bags around for a bit placing them some distance away from the trolley taking bags to the ship. He holds out his hand for a tip whilst staring you in the eye.Until you hand over US legal tender. He then throws your bag on the trolley.

Someone mentioned getting tags when you arrive at the ship. Not in the US you won't. What with hustling baggage handlers, whistle blowing police officers, taxi drivers desperate to populate the local accident and emergency department and children who suddenly need the toilet / a drink / to run around / take selfies or get lost you just open up your wallet let the man take what he wants and stumble into the crowd.

Little rough on the US ports aren't you? We travel almost exclusively out of PC and I can assure everyone that is not the case. You also seem very hung up on tipping, but I guess that is just your culture and you can't help it. Have a great evening

You can save your luggage tags PDF to your hard drive and print them anytime you want, just select save as.

Shak

I have actually taken a screenshot of the tags (pdf) and then used an editing program to add in my name. It is typed nice and neat and I don't have to write anything on the tags at all.

Little rough on the US ports aren't you? We travel almost exclusively out of PC and I can assure everyone that is not the case. You also seem very hung up on tipping, but I guess that is just your culture and you can't help it. Have a great evening

Cruising is a worldwide hobby and people from outside the USA have a lot of choices. We can even choose no fly cruises from the UK on the latest greatest ships!

Coming into a US airport (Miami is a nightmare and we have done some cheeky things to shave the odd hour off our wait on occasion), and then out of a US port I am struck by the tipping mafia and sense that people running proceedings look after themselves first, passengers 2nd.

I love Americans as cruising companions. Warm, generous with applause and atmosphere at live performances, a rich tapestry of personalities from the various states. Just not cruising out of the US.

My best port in the world. Southampton. Everyone from baggage handlers to security staff are there to deliver service, no tips required or expected. But I do tip and constantly thank the staff for doing such a great job.

There are some superb individual staff in the US, sadly swamped by the majority.

Foreign money is good news for an economy, US citizens also benefit from improvements so it's worth not resting on your laurels and demanding people buck their ideas up.

We are not perfect. I am constantly embarrassed by the black cab (taxi) charges out of Heathrow airport. The first thing a foreign visitor experiences.

Edited by Able Seaman H

I have actually taken a screenshot of the tags (pdf) and then used an editing program to add in my name. It is typed nice and neat and I don't have to write anything on the tags at all.

I actually do the same thing but I edit it in PDF form. I think the graphic are crisper in that format instead of a picture. A few weeks ago I got PDF Form app that I can add my name to the Luggage Tag PDF. When I got it this app was free but it has since gone up in price. This app goes up and down in price but if you register with appshopper you can get a notification when it goes down in price.

Another option is to use this program http://www3.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags . I found this on another luggage tag thread. This program prints 4 luggage tags on one page and allows you to add your name. It is a free download and it does work. You have to have luggage tags available to use it.

Shak

Cruising is a worldwide hobby and people from outside the USA have a lot of choices. We can even choose no fly cruises from the UK on the latest greatest ships!

Coming into a US airport (Miami is a nightmare and we have done some cheeky things to shave the odd hour off our wait on occasion), and then out of a US port I am struck by the tipping mafia and sense that people running proceedings look after themselves first, passengers 2nd.

I love Americans as cruising companions. Warm, generous with applause and atmosphere at live performances, a rich tapestry of personalities from the various states. Just not cruising out of the US.

My best port in the world. Southampton. Everyone from baggage handlers to security staff are there to deliver service, no tips required or expected. But I do tip and constantly thank the staff for doing such a great job.

There are some superb individual staff in the US, sadly swamped by the majority.

Foreign money is good news for an economy, US citizens also benefit from improvements so it's worth not resting on your laurels and demanding people buck their ideas up.

We are not perfect. I am constantly embarrassed by the black cab (taxi) charges out of Heathrow airport. The first thing a foreign visitor experiences.

Well said. I hope to sail in or out of Southampton someday

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Please don't be embarrassed. If a traveler is prepared, they are prepared. If they aren't, they could have been. If a traveler isn't aware of the other, less expensive, methods of getting away from Heathrow, well...that's on them, isn't it?

My husband really really wanted me to get a taxi while in London because he said it was simply one of the best traveling experiences EVER. And he's traveled quite a bit. He absolutely loved your taxis, and it really didn't matter the cost.

On a cruise you are greeted at the roadside by a scruffy looking gentleman who comments on the size and weight of your case. He then holds out his hand for a tip. He shuffles your bags around for a bit placing them some distance away from the trolley taking bags to the ship. He holds out his hand for a tip whilst staring you in the eye.

In my experience at Port Canaveral none of that is true. We had perfectly lovely, non-scruffy, gentleman helping us tremendously, getting our bags all the way on carts, and being genuinely happy with what we gave them. They were full of smiles and good cheer.

And we got tags. We had several bags (and a non-working printer at home) and we got lovely tags.

We also had no whistle blowing officers, taxis being scary, or children being obviously oblivious. Therefore, no need to just open a wallet. It was very nice.

Daka, you realize it took you more time and effort to start this thread than it would have taken to print and attach all of your luggage tags, right?

They weren't on the site by the time this was noticed.

Shak

First you have to notice that you're not getting them. And then save it. The OP obviously didn't do this.

Please don't be embarrassed. If a traveler is prepared, they are prepared. If they aren't, they could have been. If a traveler isn't aware of the other, less expensive, methods of getting away from Heathrow, well...that's on them, isn't it?

My husband really really wanted me to get a taxi while in London because he said it was simply one of the best traveling experiences EVER. And he's traveled quite a bit. He absolutely loved your taxis, and it really didn't matter the cost.

In my experience at Port Canaveral none of that is true. We had perfectly lovely, non-scruffy, gentleman helping us tremendously, getting our bags all the way on carts, and being genuinely happy with what we gave them. They were full of smiles and good cheer.

And we got tags. We had several bags (and a non-working printer at home) and we got lovely tags.

We also had no whistle blowing officers, taxis being scary, or children being obviously oblivious. Therefore, no need to just open a wallet. It was very nice.

London taxis in London are superb. For those who don't know the training required to get a licence takes years and the drivers literally know every street / the best way to get somewhere. The problem is the surcharge for Heathrow airport to cover the long wait in the holding car parks. It's not a fantastic system.

I've never sailed out of Port Canaveral but if it is a pleasant experience hopefully others use it as a yardstick for the benefit of USA inc.

Making excuses for RC not sending tags....really

Celebrity sent us tags every time, and I guess I just expected that RC would have the same courtesy

This will not SPOIL our crusie just send us back to Celebrity.....

FWIW, if luggage tags are the determining factor for a cruise line choice, you better make sure you stick with Celebrity and don't branch out. Of all the lines I've cruised with (5), they are the only ones who still send out the tags to everyone. Are you going to stop cruising when/if they change their policy too?

I do not particularly care for the paper tags from RCCI. I discovered recently, that on the Cruise Critic page you can access their store. Here, for about $2.95, you can purchase plastic luggage tags that are the correct size for the RCCI paper luggage tags after printing and cutting.

I now keep these with my luggage and I am set for all my future cruises.

London taxis in London are superb. For those who don't know the training required to get a licence takes years and the drivers literally know every street / the best way to get somewhere. The problem is the surcharge for Heathrow airport to cover the long wait in the holding car parks. It's not a fantastic system.

I've never sailed out of Port Canaveral but if it is a pleasant experience hopefully others use it as a yardstick for the benefit of USA inc.

Hello Henry......just wanted to say please don't judge all US sailing ports with Miami.

We also sail from Port Canaveral a lot and always have a really good experience.