ever made a claim using credit card travel insurance?

sunsetme

I have noticed my credit cards now offer up to $5000 a person travel insurance (not medical). This is for death in a family, jury duty, etc not just delays. Has anyone made a claim like this with credit card insurance? The whole trip has to be charged on this card.

I have noticed my credit cards now offer up to $5000 a person travel insurance (not medical). This is for death in a family, jury duty, etc not just delays. Has anyone made a claim like this with credit card insurance? The whole trip has to be charged on this card.

Yes, I've made such a claim with a Chase credit card. I reported the claim over the phone, then had to follow-up with some documentation. I seem to recall it took several weeks, but eventually I did receive a check.

My claim was not in connection with a missed cruise or vacation, just an airline change fee.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how good the insurance will be via our USAA MC. I'm using it to charge the next couple of cruises, but also purchasing a policy from USAA ' S agreement with TravelInsured. My thought is that if I purchase the lowest increment with TravelInsured, that will cover my medical. The trip itself can then be covered by the MC. I believe that works under the policy that I read. A

Anyone tried that?

I'm wondering how good the insurance will be via our USAA MC. I'm using it to charge the next couple of cruises, but also purchasing a policy from USAA ' S agreement with TravelInsured. My thought is that if I purchase the lowest increment with TravelInsured, that will cover my medical. The trip itself can then be covered by the MC. I believe that works under the policy that I read. A

Anyone tried that?

We had a good experience with TravelInsured (large claim, paid without any nonsense once all the docs were received).

If you are purchasing the "lowest increment" with TravelInsured, just double check and be absolutely CERTAIN that the type of policy you have doesn't require that you insure the TOTAL of ALL non-refundable costs.

The type of policy we get with TravelInsured does require that we include and insure ALL of the non-refundable costs, or... too bad for us...

But they have lots of policy types.

One other advantage of TravelInsured is that they give 21 days from FIRST payment (refundable or not) to purchase the coverage and still include coverage for any pre-existing conditions (assuming insured is able to travel on date insurance is purchased).

A second advantage is that they let you "up the coverage" as you make additional non-refundable payments. No need to guess what the total will be (and perhaps "miss") or to pay in advance for coverage for costs that won't be made for months or a year or more.

Finally, one can transfer the coverage to a DIFFERENT trip if one's plans change, as long as it is before the original departure date, and within (I think) one year of the original trip.

GeezerCouple

Thank you for the reminder about "all the costs". I know it does not hold award flights against you, since that is specifically mentioned. I'll go read my policy regarding the rest of it.

We do like that we can purchase the insurance and add to it as we add costs.

Depends on the fine print and exactly what coverage. Cancellation? For what reasons? Limits?

• 3 weeks later...

We had a bad experience with TravelGuard. Our flight to Barcelona was delayed over 24 hours. Because of an unruly passenger, the flight had to return to Philadelphia and by the time the authorities had finished, the crew was timed out. So we called TravelGuard to secure alternate flights and they wanted us to pay $10,000 for two economy tickets to Barcelona. They said we could then turn in a claim and "perhaps" get that money refunded. We passed on that offer. The airline finally got us there. But we missed prepaid hotel and tours. Again TravelGuard was useless. Claimed delays caused by unruly passengers are not covered. I imagine the FBI, Homeland Security, and other local authorities who boarded our plane to drag this guy off, might disagree.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a bad experience with TravelGuard. Our flight to Barcelona was delayed over 24 hours. Because of an unruly passenger, the flight had to return to Philadelphia and by the time the authorities had finished, the crew was timed out. So we called TravelGuard to secure alternate flights and they wanted us to pay $10,000 for two economy tickets to Barcelona. They said we could then turn in a claim and "perhaps" get that money refunded. We passed on that offer. The airline finally got us there. But we missed prepaid hotel and tours. Again TravelGuard was useless. Claimed delays caused by unruly passengers are not covered. I imagine the FBI, Homeland Security, and other local authorities who boarded our plane to drag this guy off, might disagree.

But you didn't purchase insurance from the FBI, Homeland Security, etc. Did you ask the airline to place you on another flight that would get you there on time? As soon as I see a potential problem, I get on the phone and start working on this.

I don't know what your plan covered, but you can always try appealing this decision. You can also request that the airline cover the extra expense. I would certainly try that.

So, once again, an unhappy customer because their claim was denied because of an event that is not covered.

I can understand in a way though. I used to be one of those people who just bought insurance and just assumed I was covered for anything and everything. I even assumed that in a situation such as stated above, that the insurance company would pay for new airline tickets up front.

Glad I never need insurance coverage during those times.

Then, I found this site, read some posts from Sirwired and others and learned how wrong my thinking was.

• 2 weeks later...

My sons luggage was delayed and he had to but a suit for an interview. Sent the receipt in to rbc mastercard insurance along with documentation of when we finally received luggage. The max they pay is $500.. Got a cheque within a few weeks, no problem.