New Navigator and Admiral Wine Packages

SJSULIBRARIAN

I enjoyed Toasted Head Chardonnay on the Navigator's Package in February...and planned to order that again. It is on the list I received this morning from Ship Services in Seattle.

What's up with that? Seattle being the "last to know" as usual?

I have written down the choices on this new list of chardonnay and will hit the store here before we leave in October...to do a tasting at home before we go! Although, as a 4 star Mariner, we were invited to the Tastings on board the Noordam in Feb...perhaps they are still doing that.

Edited by innlady1

I enjoyed Toasted Head Chardonnay on the Navigator's Package in February...and planned to order that again. It is on the list I received this morning from Ship Services in Seattle.

What's up with that? Seattle being the "last to know" as usual?

I have written down the choices on this new list of chardonnay and will hit the store here before we leave in October...to do a tasting at home before we go! Although, as a 4 star Mariner, we were invited to the Tastings on board the Noordam in Feb...perhaps they are still doing that.

The Caliterra Chard from the Navigator's package won't have quite as much oak, or buttery flavor as the Toasted Head.

The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, also from the Navigator's package, will have a bit more apple pie and citrus notes and somewhat less oak. There will still be a bit of butteriness (Is that even a word? Apparently it is.)

Both of these wines rate out in the mid 80s, about where you'd find Toasted Head.

Moving on the the Admiral's Package....

Tangley Oaks - More acidity than most American chardonnays.

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay - This will be much less oaky than its American counterparts.

Hayman & Hill - More floral, lemon & mineral notes. A bit more depth than the others.

These rate out a little higher, but not significantly so. I'd try the Navigator's selections first. There are about 30,000 cases of the Vina Caliterra Chardonnay produced, so it will be easier to find that the Tangley Oaks (less than 3,000 cases.)

Call me stupid, but I fail to see where the OP has found out about the new wine packages. If I go on-line for cruises in October and January, the packages that are available for purchase are, for the 7 bottle ones for example, listed below;

Navigator's Wine Package: 7-Bottle

This package allows you to choose seven wines from a wonderful selection that includes Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz. 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

Admiral's Wine Package: 7-Bottle

This premium package allows you to choose seven wines from a wonderful selection that includes Four Emus Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer Columbia Winery, Silverado Sauvignon Blanc, Laboure Roi Macon Villages, Franciscan Chardonnay, I AM ROSE, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, The Jobe Pinot Noir, Niner Merlot, Chianti Castiglioni Frescaboldi, Blackstone Syrah and Icon Ravenswood. Delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

The on-line listings that are available, are not the ones listed by the OP. I am interested to find out where these packages are available and why they are not yet in the pre-order listing!

If it is something that they are rolling out now, I do not understand why they do not adjust listings for sailings up to January?

Alphen,

See my post #19. I am the OP and these packages were the ones available on the September 7-14, 2014 Alaska sailing on the Amsterdam. I was told they replace the previous packages.

It doesn't surprise me that the website has not yet changed their lists. I am just reporting what I experienced last week. Hope this clears things up.

Alphen,

See my post #19. I am the OP and these packages were the ones available on the September 7-14, 2014 Alaska sailing on the Amsterdam. I was told they replace the previous packages.

It doesn't surprise me that the website has not yet changed their lists. I am just reporting what I experienced last week. Hope this clears things up.

The list on the website is the same as it was in February of this year. It didn’t match what was on the ships then, either. ;) In fact, the I AM ROSE on the list should actually be I'M Rose. The I M is for Isabel Mondavi. The Laboure Pinot Grigio doesn't exist. It's probably supposed to be Pinot Noir.

Edited by POA1

The Caliterra Chard from the Navigator's package won't have quite as much oak, or buttery flavor as the Toasted Head.

The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, also from the Navigator's package, will have a bit more apple pie and citrus notes and somewhat less oak. There will still be a bit of butteriness (Is that even a word? Apparently it is.)

Both of these wines rate out in the mid 80s, about where you'd find Toasted Head.

Moving on the the Admiral's Package....

Tangley Oaks - More acidity than most American chardonnays.

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay - This will be much less oaky than its American counterparts.

Hayman & Hill - More floral, lemon & mineral notes. A bit more depth than the others.

These rate out a little higher, but not significantly so. I'd try the Navigator's selections first. There are about 30,000 cases of the Vina Caliterra Chardonnay produced, so it will be easier to find that the Tangley Oaks (less than 3,000 cases.)

I prefer an oaky chardonnay...sounds as though I'm out of luck with the new list. Do you think the Vina Caliterra is my best bet?

I prefer an oaky chardonnay...sounds as though I'm out of luck with the new list. Do you think the Vina Caliterra is my best bet?

While oak is kind of relative, I think either the Caliterra or Dreaming Tree will be your best bet - in that order.

Alphen,

Ah, thank you.

A few years ago I read about so many people buying a wine package that we decided to buy one. I had copied down the list from HAL's site. Once we got on the ship, the list was entirely different and some of the wines were not in stock. But a couple of the list that we like were still there so we bought it. It was 50 % off for us.

A few years ago I read about so many people buying a wine package that we decided to buy one.

We like getting the wine package because we primarily drink the wine with dinner and we don't have to worry about bringing a bottle with us from the cabin each night. As we finish a bottle we can just order the next from the dining room staff.

From the 2 bottles we are allowed to bring onboard for "free" we normally have a glass out on the balcony during sail-aways or while getting ready for dinner.

We don't bring any bottles of wine onto the ship.

We did try the Admirals package which was much better on one of our cruises.

On our last 2 Collector Cruises, we never dined in the dining room -- just ate in the Pinnacle and Tamarind. We just ordered bottles of wine when we felt like having one -- otherwise we just had cocktails at dinner.

Is there any benefit, say to the Admiral package?

The wine in the Admiral's package would cost more if you bought it at retail. Based on the wine ratings from publications like Wine Spectator and Wine Advocate, the wines are a bit better.

I believe choosing the wine package is based on which package has the wines you prefer. We drink red wines only and the previous Navigator package had several red wines we liked so we always bought that one. Now with the packages unveiled to us last week on the Amsterdam, we find the red wines on the Admiral's package more to our liking so that is the one we purchased.

For us it boils down to what wines you like best. Our 4 favorite types are on the Admiral package so that's the one we'll get.:)

I even go so far as to try to find locally some of the wines on the lists we haven't tried to taste before the cruise :D

For us it boils down to what wines you like best. Our 4 favorite types are on the Admiral package so that's the one we'll get.:)

I even go so far as to try to find locally some of the wines on the lists we haven't tried to taste before the cruise :D

That makes sense. I found a chardonnay that I really enjoyed on our last cruise. But, since the list has changed, I printed out the list and will find what I can for a tasting, pre-cruise.

POA1 - I am grateful that you shared a link several months back for a great traveling 6 bottle wine carrier. We purchased it and are taking it with us to buy wines in Athens prior to boarding. We would much rather have good wine and pay the $18 - because for good wine we will still be paying less with the fee.

Anyway, that wine carrier is awesome! Used it this week on a land trip and it will be perfect for 1/2 the wines we plan to bring on board :eek:

POA1 - I am grateful that you shared a link several months back for a great traveling 6 bottle wine carrier. We purchased it and are taking it with us to buy wines in Athens prior to boarding. We would much rather have good wine and pay the $18 - because for good wine we will still be paying less with the fee.

Anyway, that wine carrier is awesome! Used it this week on a land trip and it will be perfect for 1/2 the wines we plan to bring on board :eek:

You're very welcome! We liked the Wine Tote of Awesomeness so much that we bought two. We have a red one and a gray one. Not only is it a wine tote/wine rack, but the fact that it folds flat makes it easy to store. Hopefully you got yours while they were still only $14.99. They originally sold for almost $50 and now they're out of stock on all but the red ones.

I did a quick comparison on the old package vs the new. It appears only the wine selections have changed and NOT the prices. In the old package (the one currently on the website) 15% gratuity is already added into the price of each package. In the new packages, based on the OP's post, the 15% has not been added in. When it is, the price comes up to the same as the old package.

Also, I think there was a question about why the 3 bottle packages are less per bottle than the 5 bottle packages. I would imagine it would be to entice people to buy 2 - 3 bottle packages, making it 6 in total. I know I can't enjoy just 3 bottles on a 7 night cruise. 5 might still be too little and 7 too much. 6 is just right. This is all speculation on my part, of course.

Edited by AACJ

• 2 weeks later...

Oct 3, 2014: Just off the Westerdam where we experienced the new packages. Different wines, but the package prices remain the same. The new listing posted in this tread is correct. We tried the TORO DE PIEDRA Cab, which was fine as well as the FRESCOBALDI REMOLE and CHATEAU DES TROIS TOURS, which were also OK and about what you'd expect from a "good" wine in the $10 price range ....if you were buying these at COSTCO or TRADER JOES. I did a quick price check on all the Navigator Red Wine Packages and $10 is the average price you'd expect to pay for any of these ashore.

Edited by Bingo Betty

My DW and I attend a monthly wine tasting here in Charlotte put on by a very good wine retailer. We took him the HAL wine list, and had him pick out acceptable (and acceptably priced) red wines. He only marked six wines: Meridian Pinot Noir; Santa Christina Antinori, Sangiovese, Italy; Perrin Reserves, Cotes de Rhone; Marques de Caceres, Roja, Spain; Robert Mondavi Merlot; and Genoc Cabernet Savignon.

A couple of the whites are familiar and good. The Caliterra Savignon Blanc, Chile is a good value.

Forearmed with good data, we are ready to imbibe!:D