Why did Regent pay us not to cruise?

Oakville Princess

We booked a Med cruise on Regent's Mariner about 5 months ago. At least once a month they would send us offers to change to another sailing, usually longer and for the same money, but none interested us because we had booked our air and it would cost a fortune to change the dates.

On the 19th (we were to sail on the 23rd) they made us an offer we couldn't refuse. If we would cancel our sailing we'd get a full refund plus $3,700.00. So they're paying us not to go!

I booked a suite on Celebrity Silhouette that has an almost identical itinerary (so we can use the same flights) for less than half the cost of Regent and, because it's a suite, we get almost all the same perks that we would have had with Regent; butler service, a beverage package, included specialty restaurants and our cabin is 50 square feet larger.

As you can see, this worked out very well for us, but I just don't get why Regent would do that. Does anyone know?

I agree, it was probably oversold. Or possibly a small group on the ship had higher than expected demand, and they, being willing to pay a higher group rate, were being given priority on the ship, thus bumping you.

Did you look over on the Regent board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176

or on the Roll Call for your cruise, found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=555

to see if there was any discussion about this particular situation?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Overbooked.

.Probably......They keep making offers to those in the cabins they want until the offers get too good to resist. They had to buy your cabin and would continue to up the offer until you said yes.

Either that or maybe some big shot wanted your cabin. :)

Happened to us once many years ago on a different cruise line.

Edited by sail7seas

We booked a Med cruise on Regent's Mariner about 5 months ago. At least once a month they would send us offers to change to another sailing, usually longer and for the same money, but none interested us because we had booked our air and it would cost a fortune to change the dates.

On the 19th (we were to sail on the 23rd) they made us an offer we couldn't refuse. If we would cancel our sailing we'd get a full refund plus $3,700.00. So they're paying us not to go!

I booked a suite on Celebrity Silhouette that has an almost identical itinerary (so we can use the same flights) for less than half the cost of Regent and, because it's a suite, we get almost all the same perks that we would have had with Regent; butler service, a beverage package, included specialty restaurants and our cabin is 50 square feet larger.

As you can see, this worked out very well for us, but I just don't get why Regent would do that. Does anyone know?

Try calling them and ask.:)

I agree, it was probably oversold. Or possibly a small group on the ship had higher than expected demand, and they, being willing to pay a higher group rate, were being given priority on the ship, thus bumping you.

Does not sound like they were bumped

Regent made them an offer & they chose to accept it

In anycase they came out ahead of the game

OP

Some popular itineraries get overbooked & the cruise line will make offers to free up waitlists

you are NOT required to accept any offers

Edited by LHT28

If you check their website the cruise is sold out but it is a segment of a longer cruise so they may have had waitlisted some cabins on the longer cruise

They do not usually charter the ship weeks before departure