A question about 100 shares CCL

michelle.zhang.90

It's $50 for a cruise that's 5 nights long (and any cruise 6 nights long or shorter, including 1-night cruises). It goes up to $100 for a cruise that is 7-13 nights and $250 for cruises 14 nights long or longer. The details are available from the link on this page: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

You only get one shareholder benefit per cabin. If you book two cabins, then one person booked in each cabin would have to own 100 shares. You and your spouse can't jointly own 100 shares and then claim the credit for different cabins on the same cruise.

It's definitely worthwhile to own 100 shares if you cruise fairly often on any Carnival Corp. brand--Princess, Holland America, Cunard, P&O, etc. They're all listed on the PDF linked to from the above link. To date, I've received nearly 25 percent of my purchase price back in onboard credit in addition to receiving the quarterly dividend. The stock is also up from when I bought it three years ago--not that I would sell it.

Edited by geoherb

Details

As it turns out if you own a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc, you can get a sweet additional onboard credit. The credit varies based on cruise length and cruise locations. Below is the chart for North American Brands, but the full details including instructions on applying for the credit can be found on this link:

$250 – Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer

$100 – Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days

$50 – Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less

This is not for everyone, but if you travel on Carnival or any of their brands this could be an easy extra return on your stock ownership. Their stock is currently in the $37-38 range.

This benefit is updated yearly and is currently applicable on sailings through July 31, 2015 and the request for the credit should be made at least two weeks prior to the cruise departure date.

Details

As it turns out if you own a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc, you can get a sweet additional onboard credit. The credit varies based on cruise length and cruise locations. Below is the chart for North American Brands, but the full details including instructions on applying for the credit can be found on this link:

$250 – Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer

$100 – Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days

$50 – Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less

This is not for everyone, but if you travel on Carnival or any of their brands this could be an easy extra return on your stock ownership. Their stock is currently in the $37-38 range.

This benefit is updated yearly and is currently applicable on sailings through July 31, 2015 and the request for the credit should be made at least two weeks prior to the cruise departure date.

Thank you so much for the detailed and quick answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additionally, the stock pays a dividend of $0.25 per share per quarter so 100 shares earns $25 per quarter or $100 per year. That alone is a much better return than I can get in a savings account or with a CD for that amount of money. When I first bought the stock I immediately got $250 OBC for a cruise to Hawaii. I was pretty pleased. :)

Their stock is currently in the $37-38 range.

The stock is actually currently trading at a $40-$41 range, hovering around a 7 month high and testing the 3-1/2 year high (close) of $41.58. Many technical indicators suggest that the stock is currently 'overbought'.

That is not to state that the stock couldn't continue to move higher, but the age old adage of buying low/selling high ought to come into play when investing, rather than just looking at an opportunity to earn a little extra OBC.

The stock would only have to decline a few dollars per share in the near term to make any potential OBC not worth it.

It deserves noting that Carnival (being a dividend stock) can be a good investment to own and for a frequent cruiser on Carnival Corp. lines, the extra OBC is akin to a double dividend.

If I were the OP looking to buy 100 shares, I would watch and wait to see if the price moves through that $41.36 mark -- with the potential to move higher -- or wait until the price pulls back a little from its current level before pulling the trigger.

Edited by Skai

I certainly didn't purchase my stock for the dividends or for that matter even the increase in share value.....but between OBCs and dividends....my shares are pretty much paid for....and the OBCs are tax free.:)

I purchased for the same reasons and mine has also paid for itself.

Mike:)

I certainly didn't purchase my stock for the dividends or for that matter even the increase in share value.....but between OBCs and dividends....my shares are pretty much paid for....and the OBCs are tax free.:)

Exactly - our return on investment is unbeatable due to the tax free OBC and cruising quite frequently. It was never purchased for the dividends, appreciation, or even thinking that the shares would hold their price. It doesn't matter that much, as we have recouped our initial investment and more, and consider it the gift to ourselves that keeps on giving.:D

Their stock is currently in the $37-38 range.

CCL actually closed at $40.34 on the day of your post.

The stock would only have to decline a few dollars per share in the near term to make any potential OBC not worth it.

Only if you were to sell the stock.

Needless to say, don't make Cruise Critic your goto website for investment advice... :rolleyes:

Lew

The stock is actually currently trading at a $40-$41 range, hovering around a 7 month high and testing the 3-1/2 year high (close) of $41.58. Many technical indicators suggest that the stock is currently 'overbought'.

That is not to state that the stock couldn't continue to move higher, but the age old adage of buying low/selling high ought to come into play when investing, rather than just looking at an opportunity to earn a little extra OBC.

It deserves noting that Carnival (being a dividend stock) can be a good investment to own and for a frequent cruiser on Carnival Corp. lines, the extra OBC is akin to a double dividend.

If I were the OP looking to buy 100 shares, I would watch and wait to see if the price moves through that $41.36 mark -- with the potential to move higher -- or wait until the price pulls back a little from its current level before pulling the trigger.

I understand your comments, but you may have a very different perspective on this than some others on this board. In looking at your cruise history, you are not cruising exclusively on Carnival brands, and not cruising multiple times per year. If you redid your calculations based on sailing only Carnival brands and accumulating at least 40 days at sea per year on them, you may find that your calculus would change. Take a look at it over ten years with more than a grand per year on tax free on board credit.......along with the buck per share dividend (bug dust but nonetheless part of the equation) and you might reach a different conclusion.

If you approach this strictly from an investment standpoint, not a frequent Carnival brand cruiser, you are correct IMHO. Those of us who cruise frequently do modify the yield equation.

When I bought my 100 shares a few years ago, there were people posting that the price was too high. I have gotten enough OBC to be ahead even if the company goes bankrupt today.

That is our situation, pretty much. Coincidentally, just got the e mail confirming our 7th $250 OBC has been posted to our upcoming HAL cruise. Then they will be another in less than a year on Princess.

It will soon be that we have gotten OBC and dividends equal to what we paid for the stock. So even if we sold the stock for a loss (which has tax benefits), we will be ahead.

Investments don't have to totally pay for themselves in a short time frame.

Exactly - our return on investment is unbeatable due to the tax free OBC and cruising quite frequently. It was never purchased for the dividends, appreciation, or even thinking that the shares would hold their price. It doesn't matter that much, as we have recouped our initial investment and more, and consider it the gift to ourselves that keeps on giving.:D

My thoughts exactly!

Mike

Yes, it did. The solution is to retire, and then concentrate on the ROI on your shares.:D

It has worked great for us.

I plan to retire December 27, 2016. With a couple of months accrued vacation I'm actually shooting for Halloween 2016 as my last day of work In 2016 Christmas is on a Sunday so I plan to retire the following Tuesday. I want the Monday holiday paid. Not that I've given it any thought or anything... :rolleyes:

I know it's close and will probably pass quickly. Time seems to be passing faster and faster these days. (My grand daughter turned FOURTEEN last week! How in heck did that happen?) On the other hand, work time doesn't really seem to pass as quickly as other time so 2 years more seems like forever.

I will also have more limited means after retirement but I think we will be fine and will still be able to cruise and also travel the US as well. If only the body holds out... :eek:

When I bought my 100 shares a few years ago, there were people posting that the price was too high. I have gotten enough OBC to be ahead even if the company goes bankrupt today.

Just bought 100 shares today and here's to hoping that I'm saying the same thing in about 5 - 7 years! Yeeeeeeeeeehaa! :D

I understand your comments, but you may have a very different perspective on this than some others on this board. In looking at your cruise history, you are not cruising exclusively on Carnival brands, and not cruising multiple times per year. If you redid your calculations based on sailing only Carnival brands and accumulating at least 40 days at sea per year on them, you may find that your calculus would change. Take a look at it over ten years with more than a grand per year on tax free on board credit.......along with the buck per share dividend (bug dust but nonetheless part of the equation) and you might reach a different conclusion.

If you approach this strictly from an investment standpoint, not a frequent Carnival brand cruiser, you are correct IMHO. Those of us who cruise frequently do modify the yield equation.

FYI, I've only ever sailed Princess to date. I am also a Carnival Corp. stockholder and follow the price of their stock closely.

I guess it warrants a clarification that my advice was geared towards the OP, and if you reread my first post ITT (and practice some reading comprehension), you may recognize that I indeed suggested that Carnival Corp. stock ownership may be a worthwhile benefit for frequent cruisers under the Carnival Corp. umbrella.

My presumption through deduction is that the OP is not a multiple-times per year cruiser, and considering that (she?) is only taking a 5 day cruise, perhaps it would be wiser to also look at the investment risk/reward factors involved with purchasing shares that are nearing a 3 1/2 year high.

Edited by Skai

I plan to retire December 27, 2016. With a couple of months accrued vacation I'm actually shooting for Halloween 2016 as my last day of work In 2016 Christmas is on a Sunday so I plan to retire the following Tuesday. I want the Monday holiday paid. Not that I've given it any thought or anything... :rolleyes:

I know it's close and will probably pass quickly. Time seems to be passing faster and faster these days. (My grand daughter turned FOURTEEN last week! How in heck did that happen?) On the other hand, work time doesn't really seem to pass as quickly as other time so 2 years more seems like forever.

I will also have more limited means after retirement but I think we will be fine and will still be able to cruise and also travel the US as well. If only the body holds out... :eek:

Congratulations...on not overthinking the retirement thing?? Seriously, timing it properly to maximize various benefits is very important. Wes's retirement timing was beyond serendipitous. And we don't take forgranted the idea of the body holding out. Mine betrayed me for a while, enough to keep us much closer to home for over a year, but luckily we are back at the travel thing with enthusiasm now. Just remember to enjoy each and every moment, retired or not.:)

Congratulations...on not overthinking the retirement thing?? Seriously, timing it properly to maximize various benefits is very important. Wes's retirement timing was beyond serendipitous. And we don't take forgranted the idea of the body holding out. Mine betrayed me for a while, enough to keep us much closer to home for over a year, but luckily we are back at the travel thing with enthusiasm now. Just remember to enjoy each and every moment, retired or not.:)

My retirement timing is based on the fact that I will be 2 months short of 64 at the time and I am NOT working any longer than that! As you say, one can't count on the body holding out and I/we need to do what we can while we can. Waiting for some mythical "perfect" time to retire doesn't work for us.

Will I have a "fabulous" retirement package? Nope. People try to tell me, "You will probably take home more after retirement than you do now!" I just look at them and tell them that my current monthly take home pay is already $1k more than my monthly gross will be after retirement. There is no way in the world that will work out to "more" after retirement! Fortunately I have paid off my house and only have the "regular" type of bills to pay. Property tax is probably the biggest bill. Other than that, I have to pay for things such as cruising!

We love to cruise but also love to camp. When we retire we will be free to snag some of the great "after final payment" deals for cruising. We will also do camping travel where we travel and camp and then, every few days, snag a hotel room. We plan to see a bunch of the lower 48 US states but also plan to drive to Alaska. That will be a long trip but, when retired, we will be able to take the time needed.

We are lucky that, although we've been married for 42 years (so far :)), we can take long car trips together without killing each other. I know a lot of people can't do that sort of thing. I think we will thoroughly enjoy taking a couple of months to drive to Alaska while camping along the way with, as I said above, frequent hotel stays to break things up, take care of laundry, have a good long shower, eat in a restaurant, buy supplies, visit a local brewhouse, possibly catch a movie somewhere, etc.

We are both sooooooooooo looking forward to retirement. :)

Edited by Thrak

Hopefully you will have a different experience than me...time moved very slowly when working but it's flying by in retirement! :p

Grandchildren are wonderful but why do they get old so quickly to remind us about how old we are getting. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer