Anyone else concerned?

dcruisers

I agree with all your comments on terrorists not making us so fearful that we don't live our lives....,, and that there are terrorists and will most likely always be terrorists . Also, staying in my home and letting them "win" by mind games is not an option. We have traveled a lot since 9/11. However-there is something so evil and barbaric with the ISIS terrorists when they behead children. They are taking the fight to the streets all over -abroad & maybe someday here.

I was just curious if others had concerns with this particular group.

Thanks for all your comments!

Edited by dcruisers

I agree with all your comments on terrorists not making us so fearful that we don't live our lives....,, and that there are terrorists and will most likely always be terrorists😰😰 . Also, staying in my home and letting them "win" by mind games is not an option. We have traveled a lot since 9/11. However-there is something so evil and barbaric with the ISIS terrorists when they behead children. They are taking the fight to the streets all over -abroad & maybe someday here.

These are really scary times but when it comes to criminals totally bereft of religion or morals of any kind we are not safe here, there or anywhere. So go out and enjoy the world but keep your eyes and ears open and if you're with me we'll be taking the bus in Paris.

I agree with all your comments on terrorists not making us so fearful that we don't live our lives....,, and that there are terrorists and will most likely always be terrorists . Also, staying in my home and letting them "win" by mind games is not an option. We have traveled a lot since 9/11. However-there is something so evil and barbaric with the ISIS terrorists when they behead children. They are taking the fight to the streets all over -abroad & maybe someday here.

Isn't that what we have been talking about!!!! Yes what is in the news right now .....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We signed up the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program that the State Department provides before going to Russia last spring. Received e-mails of any alerts, warnings or concerns the State Department issued for American citizens going to that specific area. I found it very comforting to know just what the notices were and that they were not as panicky as my friends and family were about tourism in Russia. We are going on a Danube Cruise next and have signed up for STEP again. I highly recommend it for your peace of mind: https://step.state.gov/step/

We signed up the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program that the State Department provides before going to Russia last spring. Received e-mails of any alerts, warnings or concerns the State Department issued for American citizens going to that specific area. I found it very comforting to know just what the notices were and that they were not as panicky as my friends and family were about tourism in Russia. We are going on a Danube Cruise next and have signed up for STEP again. I highly recommend it for your peace of mind: https://step.state.gov/step/

Great information! I will definitely sign up for STEP. Is there a fee?

I like knowing we will get notices if there are any concerns.

Thank you.

Am I concerned about the current situation with radical islamic terrorism? Yes, but the way I see it.... if we stop doing the things we love out of fear then they have won. Also you can't guarantee your safety just going to work everyday, there is a news story today of a woman that was attacked and beheaded at her workplace in Oklahoma :(

I am keeping my plans to go on a Danube River cruise in December, will I be nervous getting on that plane? Yes, I am always nervous when I fly but my love of travel always overcomes any of those fears.:)

I'm not concerned about ISIS threats in western or Central Europe. We've decided not to pursue any Russian itineraries right now, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting comment on Russia.

Are you avoiding Russia based on your political views or do you feel that as a cruise passenger you will be unsafe?

I'm more concerned about leaving our house in the care of our 30 year old son, who actually has more common sense than his frequently goofy and impulsive dad than I am about being in the wrong place at the wrong time in Europe. Not worried or brooding here.

We traveled to Italy 2 months after 9/11. We were at first convinced we should cancel. But after a few weeks, when the skies cleared and planes began to fly again we gathered our courage and decided to go forward. There were 8 of us traveling, and the plane to Rome was maybe 1/3 full. We found European airport security much more protective than US. Always felt protected during our trip. What we encountered when we arrived in Italy is another story I won't tell here, other than to say everyone held us in their embrace and consoled us.

There continue to be challenges for travelers, and maybe more specifically Americans. Do your homework, watch for travel alerts, keep Consulate contact info with you, and be sure you have a cellphone that operates internationally. Don't take unnecessary risks, don't do things that point you out as US citizens, and be vigilant. We should probably be doing much of this while at home as well. I am more concerned at this point with the impact on tourism of the Ukraine situation than ISIS. Not that I think either is a situation to be underplayed.

If you feel too uncomfortable to enjoy travel then you should cancel for your own peace of mind. Otherwise be watchful and mindful, and be sure your reaction is balanced and well informed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am more concerned about the Ebola tourists coming here to the USA than ISIS right now, especially since almost all travelers from Africa pass through the eastern airports, eg JFK, ATL, IAD and we have no required health checks on people coming into the USA.

I'm also concerned about passing through the European airports since there are no viable health checks there either.

The Liberian man who is critically ill in Dallas went from Liberia to Brussels to IAD to DFW. He lied about his health and his contacts in Liberia.

The US used to ensure that arrivals were healthy before they were admitted and allowed to stay here. I guess that's not PC anymore.

So, yes - I am staying here - cancelled foreign travel until our government and the western European governments institute realistic health controls on air passengers.

The US used to ensure that arrivals were healthy before they were admitted and allowed to stay here. I guess that's not PC anymore.

Out of curiosity - when was this? I've been traveling internationally for 45 years and have never seen any such thing (my husband's grandparents coming through Ellis Island to immigrate had to pass a medical but that was almost a century ago!).

Out of curiosity - when was this? I've been traveling internationally for 45 years and have never seen any such thing (my husband's grandparents coming through Ellis Island to immigrate had to pass a medical but that was almost a century ago!).

I rather suspect that is the time period that is being referred to :)

Traveling around Asia during 'flu outbreaks it is not uncommon to see people monitoring arrivals using remote temperature sensors to spot anyone running a fever.

No idea how effective it is, but it is non-invasive and doesn't slow things down at all.

Personally I'm not letting Ebola or any other fears curtain my travel, if it becomes a big enough problem to really worry about then staying at home isn't going to be much protection either ...

With ISIS and all the craziness in the world, we are getting concerned about going to Europe. We have booked Viking"s Paris/Normandy trip for next May. After reading a newspaper article today that says they are focusing on Americans, French, Australians and Canadians, we are getting uncomfortable about flying home from Europe. ISIS is also focusing on blowing up planes.

We still have 8 months -so hopefully it will calm down- or we will get them before they can carry out their threats! We are experienced travelers and have never felt uncomfortable or thought about these issues!!

Curious if others traveling to Europe are concerned?

We'r all aware of the situation, we can all keep ourselves updated, we can all make up our minds, no need to start killing off dreams already. ;)

We are interested in traveling to Istanbul but are hesitant in light of Turkey's refusal to join the fight against ISIS. Perhaps that actually makes Istanbul more safe but the question then becomes one of willingness to support a government with our tourism dollars that is not being a team player in the fight. Just today Turkish troops are on the Syrian boarder watching the carnage and doing nothing.

We'r all aware of the situation, we can all keep ourselves updated, we can all make up our minds, no need to start killing off dreams already. ;)

Well said, I agree with pp who said if you feel uncomfortable traveling, don't go....travel is a luxury, not a requirement and if you're going to worry about your health and/or safety while away from home you won't have a good time anyway. Conversely, those of us who choose to travel in spite of the current world situation, should not belittle the ones who choose not to. (Not saying anyone did on these pages, just saying it shouldn't be done by anybody)

We are interested in traveling to Istanbul but are hesitant in light of Turkey's refusal to join the fight against ISIS. Perhaps that actually makes Istanbul more safe but the question then becomes one of willingness to support a government with our tourism dollars that is not being a team player in the fight. Just today Turkish troops are on the Syrian boarder watching the carnage and doing nothing.

We left Istanbul Tuesday morning. We spent 4 days in Istanbul and had a wonderful time. I never felt in danger etc. Our guide was Kurdish so we got up to date info. Seems Turkey has been negotiating with ISSI to get 40 Turkish prisoners returned. The deal was done last week and the tanks are on the border now. CNN was reporting riots in our part of Istanbul...looked out the window and nothing!

• 2 weeks later...

Flew into Istanbul Saturday afternoon. Seemed chaotic, just like normal. Walked around some after dark, then again yesterday morning. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Everyone friendly... :)

We flew to Cappadocia yesterday afternoon so no more updates from Istanbul until Wednesday, when we return to board Since Cloud.

So we aren't setting anything here to match the level of concern expressed by our families, who are horrified that we are here. Keeping then updated too!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We are interested in traveling to Istanbul but are hesitant in light of Turkey's refusal to join the fight against ISIS.

News change fast. Turkey opened the border for Turkish Kurdish fighters to join the fight against ISIS in Syria. The border is also open to refugees.

Flew into Istanbul Saturday afternoon. Seemed chaotic, just like normal. Walked around some after dark, then again yesterday morning. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Everyone friendly... :)

Friendly, except that every conversation ends with "And you'll visit my cousin's carpet shop..."