Anyone else concerned?

dcruisers

We need to think like Israeli's. Be alert of your surroundings....if something doesn't seem right, leave the area and/or report it.

Shortly after 9/11, we were at the airport in CT., and I was at a pay phone and overheard someone, who turned out to be a passenger on our flight, speaking Arabic. I mentioned I was concerned to the desk agent who apparently discussed it with the Capt. As we were boarding, the Captain made a point of engaging each of us in a brief conversation...it was his decision to allow that passenger to fly. I like to be politically correct, but, honestly...profiling helps.

We are cruising Russia next year - our original booking with Scenic Tours was for mid May departure, but they have cancelled their first & last 2 trips of the year due to people cancelling thier bookings because of the unrest. We are now travelling 2 weeks later - fortunatly we were able to make the adjustments. Scenic are covering the extra costs we would incur to change flights, accommodation bookings etc with the rearrangement. We did have to insist on the same or a better cabin, but got it with a little gentle nudging.

We take the attitude that if we all go into our boltholes the terrorists have won, plus when our time is up, it is up, regardless of where in the world we are.

Edited by MerlinC

With ISIS and all the craziness in the world, we are getting concerned about going to Europe. We have booked Viking"s Paris/Normandy trip for next May. After reading a newspaper article today that says they are focusing on Americans, French, Australians and Canadians, we are getting uncomfortable about flying home from Europe. ISIS is also focusing on blowing up planes.

We still have 8 months -so hopefully it will calm down- or we will get them before they can carry out their threats! We are experienced travelers and have never felt uncomfortable or thought about these issues!!

Curious if others traveling to Europe are concerned?

Terrorism has been around for many years. About 40 years ago there was little or not security at airports. No machines to scan for weapons, no metal detectors. Hijackings were a huge problem. There were a plethora of Arab terrorist as well as Red Brigades, etc. financed by the DDR Stasi or KGB.

Unless you plan to visit Somalia, Syria, Iraq, Iran or Afghanistan, the chances of being a victim of terrorist is very small.

We are cruising Russia next year - our original booking with Scenic Tours was for mid May departure, but they have cancelled their first & last 2 trips of the year due to people cancelling thier bookings because of the unrest. We are now travelling 2 weeks later - fortunatly we were able to make the adjustments. Scenic are covering the extra costs we would incur to change flights, accommodation bookings etc with the rearrangement. We did have to insist on the same or a better cabin, but got it with a little gentle nudging.

We take the attitude that if we all go into our boltholes the terrorists have won, plus when our time is up, it is up, regardless of where in the world we are.

IMO most people canceling trips to Russia aren't so much worried about terrorism as unwilling to feed the Putin mafia. Totally different concern than OP in starting this thread.

IMO most people canceling trips to Russia aren't so much worried about terrorism as unwilling to feed the Putin mafia. Totally different concern than OP in starting this thread.

Interesting point and since you opened the "political" issue :D I wonder if the cruise companies are getting pressure from their respective gov'ts not to go to Russia because of the sanctions. We were in London during the days of the "troubles" and were evacuated from the underground due to a terrorist threat (in those days it was Ireland) but you do what you're told and here we are. I think you and I might have a different perspective since we're both New York City people, but we'll always have terrorism and we always have....I think it began with the cavemen when Oop had a brontosaurus steak and Ogg was hungry. PP right, when you're time is up, it's up and it doesn't matter where you are!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Friendly, except that every conversation ends with "And you'll visit my cousin's carpet shop..."

That's so funny that you wrote that. When we were in Istanbul a few years ago we were studying a map looking for the underground cisterns and a man noticed us and offered to direct us to where we were going. At first he wanted to take us to his uncle's carpet shop, but we politely said no and told him maybe afterwards. When we exited an hour or so later he was standing there waiting for us. So we ended up visiting the shop. Once there, they used a lot of high pressure and were really bad-mouthing Americans so we told them we were not interested in buying a rug and left.

That's so funny that you wrote that. When we were in Istanbul a few years ago we were studying a map looking for the underground cisterns and a man noticed us and offered to direct us to where we were going. At first he wanted to take us to his uncle's carpet shop, but we politely said no and told him maybe afterwards. When we exited an hour or so later he was standing there waiting for us. So we ended up visiting the shop. Once there, they used a lot of high pressure and were really bad-mouthing Americans so we told them we were not interested in buying a rug and left.

That's exactly what I was talking about. We were standing across the street from the Blue Mosque, reading Rick Steves -- and this guy was really pestering us to let him be our (free, unofficial) tour guide, with the carpet shop business included. He spoke excellent English, except that he didn't seem to understand the word "No" (or any of its synonyms). I finally used my New York attitude, and then HE had the nerve to act offended. Thank you very much, Istanbul -- been there, done that, not going back.

That's exactly what I was talking about. We were standing across the street from the Blue Mosque, reading Rick Steves -- and this guy was really pestering us to let him be our (free, unofficial) tour guide, with the carpet shop business included. He spoke excellent English, except that he didn't seem to understand the word "No" (or any of its synonyms). I finally used my New York attitude, and then HE had the nerve to act offended. Thank you very much, Istanbul -- been there, done that, not going back.

Beautiful ancient city with lots of history. We also had the standard high pressure carpet shop sales and the next day a leather shop sales, but these are things that can be overlooked. Istanbul is touted as a cultural mixing bowl. but somehow we always felt unwelcome and will not go back.

We loved Istanbul and walked all over the city. As long as you stay in the well traveled areas, I think it is a safe city.

As far as dealing with the hawkers selling carpets, etc. Just say NO in a firm but polite way. No need to get angry, just say NO and move on.

We loved Istanbul and walked all over the city. As long as you stay in the well traveled areas, I think it is a safe city.

As far as dealing with the hawkers selling carpets, etc. Just say NO in a firm but polite way. No need to get angry, just say NO and move on.

Agree, agree, agree....Istanbul was fantastic and we walked all over as well. Only thing that scared me in Istanbul was crossing the street! And hawkers are only interested in selling their stuff, so if you don't make eye contact and don't stop walking, but just say "no thank you" they'll move on to the next tourist. If you stop to look at what's in their hand you're toast!!!

• 1 year later...

I appreciated everyone's thoughts on this subject. We are scheduled for Hong Kong to Istanbul on Oceania in late March 2016, with many, many ports in between, and I am naturally a little concerned. Hard to know what to think, crystal balls not being available.

hard not to be concerned given alerts/major city like Brussels locked down for 3 days etc.

the inconveniences of evacuations/bomb threats/security measures at airports/train stations/hotels etc make it less attractive to travel at present. we are considering all our options at present given recent/current events.

really feel for the people of Europe living with this mess and others in other parts of the world.

We were also approached by a polite young man with excellent English near the Blue Mosque. We told him right away we weren't interested in his cousin's carpet shop, but he politely walked with us a little way, explained a bit about the mosque, told us when and where to queue to enter the mosque and then said goodby. We were pleasantly surprised. Very much enjoyed our DIY three-day visit to the city.

I appreciated everyone's thoughts on this subject. We are scheduled for Hong Kong to Istanbul on Oceania in late March 2016, with many, many ports in between, and I am naturally a little concerned. Hard to know what to think, crystal balls not being available.

Exactly!!! So you may as well go. I read recently that you have twice as much chance of being struck by lightening than being involved in a terrorist attack....the sad part is that some people are using the fear mongering to further their own ends. Go and enjoy what sounds like a wonderful trip....unless the State Dept. advises you to stay home. What will be will be whether you're sipping wine on the deck of the ship or watching TV in your living room.

Well said Hydrokitty! We're on our way to Budapest now and frankly I'm more afraid of gaining five pounds from all the delicious food that's awaiting us than any terrorist attacks. I know that sounds flippant to some but I will not be cowed. On November 13th my daughter's friend was in one of those cafes and saw the people around him murdered in front of his eyes. For the sake of the width of a cafe table, it would have been him. My husband have several Europe cruises booked and no, we will not cancel any of them. We're not going to let evil people bully us. We will be careful and prudent but we will not stay home.

Well said Hydrokitty! We're on our way to Budapest now and frankly I'm more afraid of gaining five pounds from all the delicious food that's awaiting us than any terrorist attacks. I know that sounds flippant to some but I will not be cowed. On November 13th my daughter's friend was in one of those cafes and saw the people around him murdered in front of his eyes. For the sake of the width of a cafe table, it would have been him. My husband have several Europe cruises booked and no, we will not cancel any of them. We're not going to let evil people bully us. We will be careful and prudent but we will not stay home.

I saw this thread and was amazed to find out that most of the posts were from 2014 - deja vu - scary deja vu. Anyway. We have a cruise booked for next summer - Rhine Getaway. I'm not letting anything keep me home! I'm more afraid of driving on the NJ Turnpike where I stand a greater chance of getting killed in an accident! As one of the other posters wrote, I'd rather die doing something great that I enjoy, instead of lying in a hospital bed.

As always - I will be aware of my surroundings and if I see something, I will say something.

I fear you may have underestimated the gain of only 5 pounds in Budapest!!!! :D

I am indeed sorry to hear about your daughter's friend and I do understand the emotional trauma she has suffered. As CyberKat put it: be aware of your surroundings, and if you see something, say something!! I would also add that if your gut is telling you to leave someplace? Leave.

I saw this thread and was amazed to find out that most of the posts were from 2014 - deja vu - scary deja vu. Anyway. We have a cruise booked for next summer - Rhine Getaway. I'm not letting anything keep me home! I'm more afraid of driving on the NJ Turnpike where I stand a greater chance of getting killed in an accident! As one of the other posters wrote, I'd rather die doing something great that I enjoy, instead of lying in a hospital bed.

As always - I will be aware of my surroundings and if I see something, I will say something.

I see what you mean Kat....I think PP was reading it and responded, but it's still timely.

If you leave the sweets alone in Istanbul while eating you will not gain weight. We came home the same weight that we left at, but did not indulge in too many sweets.

Of course you are right, but the Turkish delight is delightful and the baklava and other desserts were worth every blessed pound!!!! I'm on vacation and I have the rest of my life to lose the 5-6 pounds I always gain. :D