Diet advice

joiedevivre

Just curious - why not order room service? It necessarily limited what you can have --- you usually would not call and order seconds, I think. But maybe you are figuring that room service promotes sneaky cheating on your diet? Honestly wondering, no criticism intended.

I just meant that every bit of exercise is useful, even walking to a restaurant instead of room service. Of course that should include using stairs instead of elevator. :)

For several cruises now, we have never gained weight. We have even lost weight on a couple cruises! In fact, I'm at the point that I want us to cruise to lose! :D

I think the reason is because we both work from home at a desk job and we don't get enough exercise. :( When we go on a cruise we book active excursions, use the stairs, and are over all more active than at home. :D

We never stuff ourselves to the gills at any meal. In fact on our last Oceania cruise, we shared a hot dog for lunch. Typically we only eat either breakfast or lunch (but not both) and then dinner. On our last cruise we shared the King's cut of Prime Rib and still didn't finish it. The couple we sat with had a Kings's cut for the gentleman and a Queen's cut for the lady. We couldn't imagine eating all that and still feeling comfortable.

On our next cruise we have so many active excursions, I do not expect us to gain any weight at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost some weight again.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

I suspect you could make just as many bad choices ordering from room service. For me, it's the fact that I'm "eating out" three times a day. That means breakfast can be a killer if you're not careful. Dinner is actually better, since portions are quite small mostly, but let's face it, the food is richer than usual.

OK, I have waited several days as this thread has proceeded but I simply have to post how downright depressing I find it.

I know so many women who talk constantly about dieting. Is it not known to all by our ages what one has to do to maintain a healthy weight and diet? My long-anticipated vacation is one place I simply do not want to think about this subject! :D

Yes, I do not have to follow this thread. I should be happy that although I have followed this forum for several years, this is the first thread I remember on the subject.

My advice to the OP: please do not worry about a few pounds and try to maintain your wonderful "joie de vivre" in spite of them.

Edited by CintiPam

My long-anticipated vacation is one place I simply do not want to think about this subject! :D

Of course ! This is only a theoretical discussion. None of us have any intention of actually implementing these good suggestions. :D

Tom

Thanks all. I believe it doesn't hurt to ask. What you do with the information is up to you. This is a discussion. I have taken some useful tibits of information and will try to recall them on my trip. I was asking the opinion of experienced O cruisers since I am not. O is known for their food and that is why I posted on O thread and not another.

Walking, skipping a meal, eating sea food, ordering off cayon menue once in while, gym , protein, dressing on the side and portion control are all important words to remember. Yes, I will enjoy myself as I am foodie and and an avid traveller. I appreciate all the sound suggestions.

:eek:We just returned from a b2b cruise in Europe and no matter how hard I try , I always put on 6-8 lbs. Does anyone have a system not to gain wait and do you stick to it once on board? Presently working hard on the extra weight gained on the previous cruise and more ....till my next cruise in Nov.

I just spent 34 days on Marina... and did not gain.... here is how

skip 99% of the deserts.... Avoid bread, rice and Pasta. Skip sandwiches

for dining eat meat and veg. The Terrace grill is great where you can build wonderful salads and sort of dim sum it.

I just spent 34 days on Marina... and did not gain.... here is how

skip 99% of the deserts.... Avoid bread, rice and Pasta. Skip sandwiches

for dining eat meat and veg. The Terrace grill is great where you can build wonderful salads and sort of dim sum it.

Do croissants count as bread? :eek:

OK, I have waited several days as this thread has proceeded but I simply have to post how downright depressing I find it.

I know so many women who talk constantly about dieting. Is it not known to all by our ages what one has to do to maintain a healthy weight and diet? My long-anticipated vacation is one place I simply do not want to think about this subject! :D

Yes, I do not have to follow this thread. I should be happy that although I have followed this forum for several years, this is the first thread I remember on the subject.

My advice to the OP: please do not worry about a few pounds and try to maintain your wonderful "joie de vivre" in spite of them.

Sustained, Counselor. I enjoy my cruising experience to the fullest and not being on any medication at the age of 62, I can attribute that to living a healthy lifestyle. This does not mean , I dont indulge while on vacation. i am disciplined in portion control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CintiPam View Post

I know so many women who talk constantly about dieting. Is it not known to all by our ages what one has to do to maintain a healthy weight and diet? My long-anticipated vacation is one place I simply do not want to think about this subject!

Sustained, Counselor. I enjoy my cruising experience to the fullest and not being on any medication at the age of 62, I can attribute that to living a healthy lifestyle. This does not mean , I dont indulge while on vacation. i am disciplined in portion control.

I would have to agree with these posters. Perhaps if I were on a perpetual vacation like some members of CC I might think differently, but since my upcoming cruise is our only cruise this year, I intend to enjoy it to the fullest. And if I leave it with slightly more weight than I started with, I will consider it a successful vacation on at least one front!

Edited by cotto22
included origial quote

the 3 b's Booze butter and bread

Second.... I skip lunch most days.

I am on the ship for the ship...food is great but I do not obsess Dinner 2 courses, 3 max

Interesting......I wonder if any other people have had luck with skipping lunch.

I know some retired people who eat big lunches and only a light supper while at home, but that might not work so well on a cruise, especially on port days.

Interesting......I wonder if any other people have had luck with skipping lunch.

I know some retired people who eat big lunches and only a light supper while at home, but that might not work so well on a cruise, especially on port days.

We never skip lunch or snacks ...we usually eat smaller portions but need to eat every few hours or I get sick

BLD + mid morning coffee/snack & afternoon tea/snack

I carry protein bars when on a tour where meals my be later than MY schedule ;)

Everyone has to do what works best for them

Lyn

We never skip lunch or snacks ...we usually eat smaller portions but need to eat every few hours or I get sick

BLD + mid morning coffee/snack & afternoon tea/snack

I carry protein bars when on a tour where meals my be later than MY schedule ;)

Everyone has to do what works best for them

Lyn

Lyn,

I am with you on this. I don't do well if I skip a meal. That is why I was wondering just how many people can do it !

Tom

Lyn,

I am with you on this. I don't do well if I skip a meal. That is why I was wondering just how many people can do it !

Tom

My normal routine at home is not to eat lunch...Unless I am really exerting or working hard at something... Have a full protein breakfast Egg, meat, fruit cereal ( maybe a English muffin but no pancakes, pastries, waffle's, jam jellies no sugar hi/rush ) coffee with milk... That results in feeling full for many hours and I don't begin even get hungry till around 4.. I drink around 4 kicks in the sugar level .. Then Dinner 5-6pm..

Again heavy protein low starch high fiber no desert, bread pasta,potatoes rice.. and go to bed by 10. a good 3-4 hours after eating.

Eating as say La Reserve where you finish around 10 and go to bed in 45 min to an hour is not healthy.. as all that sits in your gut and goes to fat....

My wife an RN and a diet expert eats the same way and has told me people can train their bodies to eating times. You can condition them for the better or worse. Many eat out of habit and the body gets accustomed to the elevated blood sugar . On cruises many eat out of compulsion and medicate themselves with food. I have a friend who eats 3 half gallons of Ice cream a week with his spouse and then diets and cant figure out why he is gainng weight even with exercise.

If you eat 3 meals a day or 2... just keep the sum total below 2000 and you will be fine.

You can like Pavlov train your body like he did his dogs. Its all your focus and choice

In the past (especially on port intensive cruises) I found that I actually lost weight on cruises because of all the walking I was doing.

Recently, my knees are a problem and so I'm not able to walk as much as I used to ... and so I need to be more careful. (I'm not exactly slender to begin with.)

These days I find that if we have a big breakfast on the ship, we don't really need lunch. If we get back late we MAY go to Waves and get a light something there ... but we don't faint from hunger if we forego that.

Lyn's idea of protein bars is a good one! I'll have to try to remember that ... Sometimes (when we're in a port where it's okay to do so) we will take a piece of fruit with us if we're thinking we'll be returning to the ship after lunch venues have closed.

Mura

Lyn's idea of protein bars is a good one! I'll have to try to remember that ... Sometimes (when we're in a port where it's okay to do so) we will take a piece of fruit with us if we're thinking we'll be returning to the ship after lunch venues have closed.

Mura

I always carry granola bars with me during the day when I am off the ship. I never know when my traveling companion (legaleaglegreen) will decide that visiting one more museum has priority over any lunch stops. Really has kept the marriage a lot happier! :D

Edited by CintiPam