Door Magnets

stickey_mouse

I'll be traveling with a group of 20 this December on the Silhouette. I was thinking about having tasteful door magnets made for everyone both as a keepsake and to help them identify their rooms (a few in the group are elderly). Does anybody else do this for their Celebrity cruises? Will we be scorned for having door magnets? I don't want to do anything that will be frowned upon by either the crew or other guests.

I think it a great idea when travelling with a group... Something that identifies you all as being together, and helps each other to find another member of the group.

I understand that "Door Decorating" is a bigger thing on other lines (more families) but still it is seen on Celebrity.

Mr Sloop & I always notice / appreciate Decorated Doors when we come across them on our ship walk abouts... Often we notice they have a theme (Birthdays, honeymoons, anniversaries)... Evidently there are a notable increase on Holiday Cruises (Thanksgiving - Christmas - New Years)

We often also see Doors with just one simple sign... "Cruise Critic Member" ... That always makes us smile

Just be aware that sadly some people are cruel... So don't put anything on your door you cannot replace, or would feel bad about losing.

Even on ships there are people who walk off / steal things :mad:

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'll be traveling with a group of 20 this December on the Silhouette. I was thinking about having tasteful door magnets made for everyone both as a keepsake and to help them identify their rooms (a few in the group are elderly). Does anybody else do this for their Celebrity cruises? Will we be scorned for having door magnets? I don't want to do anything that will be frowned upon by either the crew or other guests.

We usually hang an anchor on our cabin door and we use a round magnet to hold it on. What a great idea for your group cruise and then they can hang those memories on their refrigerator when they get home. I see no reason why that would be frowned upon as it wouldn't do any damage to the cabin door.

I hope you have a blast on the Silhouette, she is a beautiful ship.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I will definitely look into it!

Has anybody ever observed any creative ways to use doors/magnets as a way of telling others in their group where they are? Without phones and internet, I think it might be difficult to find other group members.

Saw a Cruise Critic Member Door who once had info on the various members of their party (ie CRUISECRITIC#5 Bob & Sue - Cabin 9206)

I just assumed that the person with this spreadsheet on their door, and the CC sign might be the go-to spokesperson for their Sailing's Roll Call here on CC

Once you have a Cabin Number, it is easy to leave voice messages for others... Even if you don't know their last names

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

We been on two cruise with a fellow CC member who made pins for us and we love them. I'd like magnets even more, since I could add them to my refrigerator. If you find a place to make them, could you post the name of the company, please. Or email me at patty1955 at msn dot com

We used a small magnetic, dry erase memo board when on a Disney cruise with our children and grandchildren, it worked well for messages, ie at the pool.

We did the same on a recent Reflection cruise. We were a family of 4, Grandma, Mum, Dad & daughter and had adjacent cabins. Easy for us to leave messages for one another especially as I and GD stayed on board and M&D went off on trips on the morning. Had no problem with it and it stayed for all of the 10 days.

We didn't see any door magnets on our corridor on a recent Eclipse cruise ex Southampton. We were right down the corridor as well. Most confusion appeared to be is at a left or right turn when you step out of the lift for your room.

Certainly on the Eclipse each door number plate has a little slot behind it for notes and paperwork to be tucked in and room stewards seemed to routinely use these to put your restaurant reservations, room bill, luggage tags on. On a couple of occaisions my wife and I would leave notes to one another here if one of us had gone off for a wander somewhere on the ship.

We been on two cruise with a fellow CC member who made pins for us and we love them. I'd like magnets even more, since I could add them to my refrigerator. If you find a place to make them, could you post the name of the company, please. Or email me at patty1955 at msn dot com

Try zazzle.com. You can make just about anything and make your own design. Prices are reasonable.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I will definitely look into it!

Has anybody ever observed any creative ways to use doors/magnets as a way of telling others in their group where they are? Without phones and internet, I think it might be difficult to find other group members.

Host Andy:

Seems exactly like the kind of useful thing CC should sell-- perhaps yopu could pass to the marketing group?

In the past we've made door signs or magnets printed on "magnetic" paper designed for inkjet printers. You can design your own, print them out any size up to the full size of the page and they'll stick to the doors on some ships or on the wall right next to the doors on others.

You can buy these at most office supply stores or online at places like Amazon.

Edited by Lsimon

We always display our full color Cruise Critic door sign....still available for download...on one cruise someone adapted it to list our ports etc for everyone on the roll call...he did a nice job

(we tape it on...no magnet)

We do not see many decorated doors on X, maybe b-day, anniv, honeymoon...but they are cute...have seen some truly over the top on Royal C.....

I think it's a great idea for a group You can easily just get some of those half inch round strong magnets (Walmart, etc.) to post your sheet of paper. Those won't tempt anyone. You *could* hot glue something to the magnet to make it "cute" if you're so inclined.

My husband and I carried some inexpensive walkie talkie things one cruise but either we forget to bring them about the ship or they didn't work well. I've seen people use them, however.

I'm surprised by the warm reception here for door signs.

We've done fully decorated doors on DCL, it never would have occurred to me to decorate a door on another cruiseline.

You can buy magnetic paper from Staples or Michael's but it is pricy. I just print on normal paper, and then buy a roll of magnetic tape from the dollar store. Stick to the back of my sign, and then it magnets to the door.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I make a door magnet personalized for each cruise with our photo and the cruise into and my Cruise Critic name on it. Here is mine for an upcoming cruise. I order these from Vistaprint.com when they are on sale. They are $12 each regular price. You can also just use one of their designs and customize the type.

They are 8 1/2 by 11.

They are called Small Car Door Magnets on the web site.

F68B878D-4CF9-4CB8-8B3E-541C6A1CCE49_zpsljimshbj.jpg

Edited by Vol fan

I make a door magnet personalized for each cruise with our photo and the cruise into and my Cruise Critic name on it. Here is mine for an upcoming cruise. I order these from Vistaprint.com when they are on sale. They are $12 each regular price. You can also just use one of their designs and customize the type.

They are 8 1/2 by 11.

They are called Small Car Door Magnets on the web site.

F68B878D-4CF9-4CB8-8B3E-541C6A1CCE49_zpsljimshbj.jpg

LOVE IT !!

VistaPrint & Zazzle and a bunch of other online companies offer up a wide range of products that can be used in new ways (vs just commercial applications) one just has to think outside the box

Cheers!