Anniversary dinner in Jacques

hermioneb

We will soon be taking our first Oceania cruise on board the Marina (and are very excited!). We have booked to have dinner in Jacques for our 43rd wedding anniversary and would love to know if there are any special favourite things on the menu that any of you Oceania experts would recommend. I do appreciate that food preference is a very individual thing, but there must be some items that are considered "not to be missed".

Have you'd looked on 'O's website? You can peruse the menus...of course things can change, but you see if any if you favourites ore on there:)

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/default.aspx

Everything at Jacques is wonderful so my advice is to go easy on the appetizers because the lobster Thermidor is so outstanding you will want to enjoy it. I didn't do that the first time so I literally stood outside of Jacques a few days later to plead for another reservation. That time I saved my appetite and it was well worth it! Happy anniversary!

We will soon be taking our first Oceania cruise on board the Marina (and are very excited!). We have booked to have dinner in Jacques for our 43rd wedding anniversary and would love to know if there are any special favourite things on the menu that any of you Oceania experts would recommend. I do appreciate that food preference is a very individual thing, but there must be some items that are considered "not to be missed".

Congratulations on the Anniversary! Most "old hands" will advise you to ask if they are doing soufflés that night (while not on the regular menu, they are occasionally offered as a Special), and to check, if you are not too long into the voyage, if the Mussels are still being served (they only ever last three to five days into any cruise before being scratched, but they are large, succulent and delicious).

Otherwise, the cheese trolley in Jacques is the best and most varied on the ship; although the waiters will seldom suggest it, by all means add a cheese course to your celebratory dinner...it adds such a note of luxe.

Edited by StanandJim

I agree with S&J -- I love the mussels. Also the lamb and filet ... can't say we've had a bad meal there, however! Our experience has been that crepes suzettes are often a "special of the day". But the milles feuilles are also fabulous for dessert.

Mura

Have eaten in Jacques 3 times. First time we both ordered the Chefs special-bouillabaisse. Practically inedible.

Second time I don't know what I had but I do remember it was disappointing.

Third time I had the much ballyhooed roast pork. It was overcooked and just fair to middlin.

I have never had the lobster thermidor, but I hear it is outstanding. I am willing to try Jacques one more time if I ever get back on an O ship. Next two cruises are both on Regatta. ;-)

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have eaten in Jacques 3 times. First time we both ordered the Chefs special-bouillabaisse. Practically inedible.

Second time I don't know what I had but I do remember it was disappointing.

Third time I had the much ballyhooed roast pork. It was overcooked and just fair to middlin.

Mo, as much as I love Jacques I have to admit that the one dinner partner who ordered the Bouillabaisse was disappointed. I forget why even though it was only a few months ago. I can always write to her to find out what the problem was.

I think I may have had the pork, if so it didn't strike me as horrible as you say but then again if I don't remember it as a special dish ... that perhaps says something.

I loved the beef and lamb. Can't recall if I've had any veal there, but if I did that goes back 3 years so perhaps I can be forgiven. I'd really have to look at the menu to see exactly what I have ordered in the past. Maybe I will do just that!

Jacques has become my favorite restaurant on the "O" ships so I hate to see people turned off by negative reviews. (Which is not to say that you shouldn't report what you have experienced! Because not all of our meals were 100% perfect either, although most HAVE been.)

Mura

We had dinner there on our anniversary at a table for two. Our server sang to us and it was a highlight of our dinner. She was so cute - I had tears in my eyes. I had a series of appetizers one night as my dinner. I think Escargot and Frogs Legs. Delicious.

Thank you so much for your help. It sounds as if we will have a difficult choice between the lobster and the Dover sole, which are both great favourites. Will make sure to look out for souffles and my husband loves mussels, too. It is great to have all your input, as we will now know to avoid the bouillabaisse!

The Foie Gras! (the hot preparation is better than cold, but both are worth trying).

We in California have to order it mail order or leave the state in order to eat it, even though the latest techniques are not at all cruel (unless you believe eating any animal parts is "cruel").

Agree on the above recommendations and caveats...

Edited by JPR