Allure Drydock 2015?

There is no drydock in the Western Hemisphere (at least one that is available for commercial ship repair, or that doesn't require a Panama Canal transit) that can lift the Oasis and Allure out of the water, so they have to go to Europe every 5 years to drydock.

Wondering if Allure will drydock in Cadiz, Spain?

Wondering if Allure will drydock in Cadiz, Spain?

Certainly a possibility. There aren't a lot of docks out there that can handle the combination of length, beam, and draft that the Oasis class presents. Odense in Denmark, HDW in Kiel (maybe), Turku in Finland, STX in St. Nazaire, also Brest and Marseille in France, Fincantieri in Palermo, and Keppel in Rotterdam are the ones I can think of. Some of these would require off-loading fuel, etc, to get enough clearance over the blocks.

Certainly a possibility. There aren't a lot of docks out there that can handle the combination of length, beam, and draft that the Oasis class presents. Odense in Denmark, HDW in Kiel (maybe), Turku in Finland, STX in St. Nazaire, also Brest and Marseille in France, Fincantieri in Palermo, and Keppel in Rotterdam are the ones I can think of. Some of these would require off-loading fuel, etc, to get enough clearance over the blocks.

Are there any US Navy facilities that are large enough to accomodate Oasis class?

Thanks for that information!

The reason I asked is that I came across a dry-dock document for Allure the other day...and it specifically referenced Cadiz as the port location during the early May timeframe next year - both after the first arrival in Barcelona and prior to returning to Barcelona for the next scheduled cruise 2 weeks later.

Thanks for that information!

The reason I asked is that I came across a dry-dock document for Allure the other day...and it specifically referenced Cadiz as the port location during the early May timeframe next year - both after the first arrival in Barcelona and prior to returning to Barcelona for the next scheduled cruise 2 weeks later.

Being as she is basing out of Barcelona, Cadiz is only 580+ miles away, or about 24-36 hours steaming. This would give them a good day for yard prep work after the last guest leaves in Barcelona, and doesn't take them that far out of their way. Marseilles is closer, but not sure how much cruise ship work they've done. Palermo is about the same as Cadiz, but don't know if RCCL wants to get in bed with Fincantieri.

Edited by chengkp75

Are there any US Navy facilities that are large enough to accomodate Oasis class?

Yes, drydock 12 at the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company (owned by General Dynamics) can handle Oasis class. It's the largest drydock in the western hemisphere and was originally constructed to handle the ultra large crude carriers.

It's certainly big enough for Oasis class, as well as Nimitz and Ford class carriers, and is available for civilian purposes... however (and this is a big however) military customers have priority. So you can see that the specter of not having a guaranteed slot would give civilian customers a bit of concern.

Yes, drydock 12 at the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company (owned by General Dynamics) can handle Oasis class. It's the largest drydock in the western hemisphere and was originally constructed to handle the ultra large crude carriers.

It's certainly big enough for Oasis class, as well as Nimitz and Ford class carriers, and is available for civilian purposes... however (and this is a big however) military customers have priority. So you can see that the specter of not having a guaranteed slot would give civilian customers a bit of concern.

Thanks!

Was thinking of sailing a few weeks before she goes into drydock. Would any of you avoid sailing at that time? Concerns include: disinterested staff.

Pure speculation on my part, but I've been on a couple of cruises before a refurbishment, or a ship relocation in which many crew members were taking time off or going to another ship with or without a break. My perception was the crew (that dealt with passengers) were happy to have a break coming and were doing a great job.

While the dock can handle the ship, the yard has no cruise ship experience, and not much more commercial ship repair experience in the last few decades. Unfortunately, this is why US shipyards have declined, and why even US flag ships will go to foreign yards like Freeport (and pay the 50% customs duty on the final bill), because US yards are geared towards either newbuilding or Navy repair, neither of which are done in the split-second timing that commercial ship repair requires. Many great shipyards in the US, like Bath Iron Works here in Maine, will tell you that they are not even interested in commercial ship repair because of the thin profit margin and "think on the fly" nature of the business.

Actually...it was My time dining to be more correct/accurate - on Radiance.

The concept is very similar in terms of not having a fixed table location each night...which is what we missed.

Sorry for any confusion.

Not a problem. I was just wondering if I had missed something.

Not a problem. I was just wondering if I had missed something.

No worries.

Who knows...once the Allure dry dock is complete next year and Dynamic Dining is implemented (we have our cruise just a few weeks thereafter and will certainly be trying it)...it could end up being something more cruisers enjoy.

We're keeping an open mind to see how things roll out.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys I believe I found what I am looking for via cruisingpower. I just wanted some concrete confirmation in regards to the dry-dock and this is what I found:

Thanx, was wondering after seeing the announcement on the Allure come out today. We are booked for sailing out of Barcelona on May 19, 2015 ... so looks like she'll be all refurbished when we sail, correct? :)

Thanx, was wondering after seeing the announcement on the Allure come out today. We are booked for sailing out of Barcelona on May 19, 2015 ... so looks like she'll be all refurbished when we sail, correct? :)

Yes, I believe Allure goes to Cadiz for dry dock before her Europe season.

We booked a Med Cruise on Allure back in January of this year for May 19, 2015. Since it was so far out and we had lots of family here over the summer and two land vacations happening, I haven't paid much attention to 'cruising'. However, that is all over now and from reading the threads here tonite, I'm assuming we'll be on her first sailing after dry dock. Also, after reading today about what they did to the Oasis, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the same changes will happen on the Allure.

I went to my booking on the RCI site and it's not giving much information on dining or entertainment which I'm assuming has to do with the fact that it's so far out and also because of the upcoming refurbishment. However, some of you out there seem to be in the know, so just out of curiosity, I have some questions!

1. DD will be in effect on the 5/19/15 cruise? I read about it on the Quantum site and think I understand it ... it's just like MTD only 3 (4 if you are JS or above) different types of restaurants to chose from? Can you just show up like in MTD or do you need to make a reservation ahead?

2. What shows will be in the Allure after the refurbishment?

3. When we sailed the Oasis I made show reservations online but 'just showed up' for MTD. On the Reservation on the RCI site, I can't make any reservations of any kind right now ... thinking it's too soon?

Thanx for any info anyone might have! :)

According to what RCI has said so far:

1. Yes, Dynamic dining will be in effect for your cruise (as it´s the first after dry dock)

2. Mamma Mia instead of Chicago (the rest will stay)

3. Dynamic Dyning reservations can be made online starting in January 2015

steamboats

• 1 month later...
Having just sailed on Quantum TA and loved DD, do we know yet what restaurants will be on Allure after her DD?

I believe on Oasis the 3 tiers are Grande, Silk and AIG. Will there be the same 3 on Allure?

No official announcements from Royal on the subject.

Having just sailed on Quantum TA and loved DD, do we know yet what restaurants will be on Allure after her DD?

I believe on Oasis the 3 tiers are Grande, Silk and AIG. Will there be the same 3 on Allure?

I'm on that cruise as well and had wondered about the dining. Since you've experienced it, said you loved it, just wondering .... when we did MTD before, we 'just showed up'. Do you 'have' to make a reservation ahead, either before sailing online, as OP said in January, or when you are onboard? What did you like about it compared to MTD and/or traditional? Was it the timing or the different venues? We've liked the MTD mostly because the early dining is just always too early for us especially in Port and although we like the later time, it's like after eating it's really too late for us. So, going in between the traditional times just works for us. We're generally not all that fussing about the food. Just curious. Thanx! :)

According to RCCL website -

DYNAMIC DINING COMES TO ALLURE OF THE SEAS IN MAY 2015

Bold new culinary concepts, more choice and total flexibility, with no set dining times, assigned seating or required formal nights. Explore the options and plan ahead with our new reservations system.

Three complimentary restaurants take the place of the main dining room: American Icon Grill; Silk, featuring an eclectic pan-Asian menu; and the Grande, serving refined classic cuisine.

Expanded selections at the Windjammer Marketplace, with theme dinners every evening.

Grilled sausages and franks at the Boardwalk Dog House.

Sabor Taqueria & Tequila Bar for a fresh take on Mexican favorites.

Japanese grill specialties at Izumi Hibachi & Sushi, now on Deck 4.

Gastro-innovations at Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine.

Reservations can be made on Cruise Planner starting January 1st, 2015