Dining room policy-I don't get it

Retired 07

This intrigues me and please know I mean absolutely nothing negative because I don't know what it means. If you have a moment, would you explain?

Thanks.

Mark Twain, who coined the phrase "gilded age", meant it to refer to the pretty on the outside while corrupt on the inside social atmosphere of the late 19th century US - do you think the post referred to a return to that atmosphere?

Mark Twain, who coined the phrase "gilded age", meant it to refer to the pretty on the outside while corrupt on the inside social atmosphere of the late 19th century US - do you think the post referred to a return to that atmosphere?

I would guess that there is almost no chance that it was a Samuel Langhorne Clemens reference.

Yes, and you've been so sweet and nice, especially your post #140:rolleyes:.

I was including myself in the "nasty and personal" comment. I have never been in a discussion like this on CC and I didn't like the way I was attacked or the way I had to defend myself.

"Any comments or opinions?"

These were the words YOU typed in your opening post. People gave their opinions; the majority just weren't the ones you seemed to hope for.

If you ever ask for an opinion again, maybe you could suggest the outcome you would like in advance and save all the bother!

Thank you! That's a swell idea!

I would guess that there is almost no chance that it was a Samuel Langhorne Clemens reference.

That's the thing........ :D and why I asked.

Somehow the 'gilded age' reference didn't quite fit comfortably into my understanding of it's 'original meaning'. :D :D

I wondered where the poster was going with it. :confused:

I was including myself in the "nasty and personal" comment. I have never been in a discussion like this on CC and I didn't like the way I was attacked or the way I had to defend myself.

CC is the travel version of twitter or other social media. You could encounter a lot of bullying, depending on people's moods. You have to have a very thick skin to post here! Or, enjoy the banter. You can see by the responses people find certain topics more entertaining than cruising. I am guilty of this as well.

This was mild compared to the way some posters get. There are a few posters that only seem to post on dress code and smoking threads. I don't know how they are still able to post on cc because they aren't really nice. I feel sorry that these people are so miserable.

Edited by cruz chic

Men do NOT wear hats indoors....at least, polite men don't! Not baseball caps, not fedoras, not tams....NO HATS! Period.

Oh I see you knew my Great Grandmother also.... Good manners it seems are timeless and always in fashion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wanted to add that I have read where the MDR manager has made dress code exceptions (mercifully) for pax that have lost luggage... So they don't lose a potentially special night or dinning experience.

For us, the MDR is part of the cruise experience... "dressing" for dinner, the attentiveness of the waitstaff, the presentation of the meal... all these things contribute to a wonderful and special evening.

Although, I do appreciate well dressed men and women, I do not feel offended if they were dressed more casually.

Just wanted to add that I have read where the MDR manager has made dress code exceptions (mercifully) for pax that have lost luggage... So they don't lose a potentially special night or dinning experience.

For us, the MDR is part of the cruise experience... "dressing" for dinner, the attentiveness of the waitstaff, the presentation of the meal... all these things contribute to a wonderful and special evening.

Although, I do appreciate well dressed men and women, I do not feel offended if they were dressed more casually.

I speak from experience that they will make exceptions. They also will lend you formal wear free of charge if it happens.

That's the thing........ :D and why I asked.

Somehow the 'gilded age' reference didn't quite fit comfortably into my understanding of it's 'original meaning'. :D :D

I wondered where the poster was going with it. :confused:

Yes this is why I used the term. We live in an extremely fortunate age that is marred by increasing economic gaps and rampant corruption.

But times are changing in many ways for the better - and despite dire warnings the world will continue for the better, due to change, just has it has done for millenniums.

Many more people have the ability to enjoy luxuries such as cruising than ever before. Unemployment is falling. Gays can get married. Interracial marriages are common and accepted. Marijuana prohibition is ending. The poor in enlightened states in the USA can even enjoy healthcare for the first time in their lives and not die due to preventable diseases. Women can even join St Andrews club and play golf! Even definitions of formal clothing are changing.

Yet there is a widening undercurrent, still, of haves and have nots - of corruption that goes unpunished in certain areas. Of a class of people in certain states condemned to no health care coverage purely from social spite in the richest nation on the planet.

So great progress, opportunities and growth for many and yet still problems that bubble under the surface and are set to explode. Combine that with the massive technological changes and we have another gilded age.

In the grand scheme - A fashionable, clean, hat in the dining room should not be a concern. We have bigger issues.

Edited by pmd98052

Yes this is why I used the term. We live in an extremely fortunate age that is marred by increasing economic gaps and rampant corruption.

But times are changing in many ways for the better - and despite dire warnings the world will continue for the better, due to change, just has it has done for millenniums.

Many more people have the ability to enjoy luxuries such as cruising than ever before. Unemployment is falling. Gays can get married. Interracial marriages are common and accepted. Marijuana prohibition is ending. The poor in enlightened states in the USA can even enjoy healthcare for the first time in their lives and not die due to preventable diseases. Women can even join St Andrews club and play golf! Even definitions of formal clothing are changing.

Yet there is a widening undercurrent, still, of haves and have nots - of corruption that goes unpunished in certain areas. Of a class of people in certain states condemned to no health care coverage purely from social spite in the richest nation on the planet.

So great progress, opportunities and growth for many and yet still problems that bubble under the surface and are set to explode. Combine that with the massive technological changes and we have another gilded age.

In the grand scheme - A fashionable, clean, hat in the dining room should not be a concern. We have bigger issues.

Well said! Thank you for putting that a lot more eloquently than I could.

I don't know why I care, but I do. I don't like baseball caps ANYWHERE. Even at the ball field :p It just grates on me. At home I am almost always found in jean crops and a tee-shirt, but on a cruise I like a little bit of elegance. I would just like to preserve it somewhere. :)

At home I am almost always found in jean crops and a tee-shirt, but on a cruise I like a little bit of elegance. I would just like to preserve it somewhere.

I spent the first 3-4 years of my working life having to wear a suit to work every day. That is probably what ruined "Dressing Up" for me. Last thing I want on vacation is to dress up :)

I totally understand that many people love to get dressed up and no one is stopping them from enjoying it. While I love HAL I also love NCL's policy of get dressed up, or not. Your call. As it should be I think. I hate forcing conformity on others. We're all different and that diversity is what keeps life interesting - at least for me.

In a world of change, the constants are of even more importance. And manners is one of those. This world is full of injustice. Many of us strive to do what we can to make things better both for ourselves and for others. In my travels, I have visited countries with corrupt governments, and abject proverty. But even those most adversely affected will show charm and manners.

In other words - what does it have to do with the topic?:rolleyes:

Rudeness may or may not be a "bigger issue", but it is still an issue to mannerly people.

A man who wears a hat to the dining room is rude. Pure and simple.

Rudeness may or may not be a "bigger issue", but it is still an issue to mannerly people.

A man who wears a hat to the dining room is rude. Pure and simple.

Not sure - times change.

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/accessories/200305/hat-etiquette

In fact if HAL doesn't offer hat storage facilities (I've not seen them offer it?) the article suggests the man should leave the hat on so it is not damaged.

As for hat storage, a restaurant should be prepared for the possible onslaught of civilization, and so, if there is no proper storage, one should ask the host, hostess or waitperson where one might temporarily store one’s hat. If the facility provides no suitable accommodation and no unused chair is handy, a gentleman is justified in leaving it on, at a rakish angle proportionate with his degree of displeasure.

From some definitions of ladies etiquette I need to have some conversations with my wife as she is obviously being very rude:

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/ladiesetiquette1859.htm

A lady should not say "my husband," except among intimates; in every other case she should address him by his name, calling him "Mr."

And obviously I need to stop my wife going to the library...

"A lady ought to adopt a modest and measured gait; too great hurry injures the grace which ought to characterize her. She should not turn her head on one side and on the other, especially in large towns or cities, where this bad habit seems to be an invitation to the impertinent. A lady should not present herself alone in a library, or a museum, unless she goes there to study, or work as an artist.

I say this partly in jest but partly because - times do change!

Gentleman often no longer open doors for ladies? Yes, it's a slippery slope where soon it will be acceptable to bring your smart device to the MDR and the entire room, all 600 diners, will be looking in their lap!

What's wrong with some of you, with all the issues wrong in this world it is somehow comforting that plain old fashion good manners are simple, free and always appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gentleman often no longer open doors for ladies?

Often not since I've had many complain when I do that.

Yes, it's a slippery slope where soon it will be acceptable to bring your smart device to the MDR and the entire room, all 600 diners, will be looking in their lap!

Go to any restaurant today and you'll see a large number of people looking down at their phones yes.

Times change.

In fact if HAL doesn't offer hat storage facilities (I've not seen them offer it?) the article suggests the man should leave the hat on so it is not damaged.

Actually, it's an opinion piece and to quote it:

"As for hat storage, a restaurant should be prepared for the possible onslaught of civilization, and so, if there is no proper storage, one should ask the host, hostess or waitperson where one might temporarily store one’s hat. If the facility provides no suitable accommodation and no unused chair is handy, a gentleman is justified in leaving it on, at a rakish angle proportionate with his degree of displeasure."

It takes quite a bit of searching and reading to find that article, so kudos for the tenacity. The problem is that (1) There's practically no chance that there wasn't an available chair. (2) You can store your hat in your stateroom. And (3) There's no indication anywhere that an attempt was made to "ask the host, hostess, or waitperson where one might temporarily store one's hat."

I would have thought that the First Law of Holes would have kicked in way earlier in the thread.

You know, years ago it would have been considered rude to pluck a gentlemans's hat from his head in a restaurant and send it sailing, frisbee-like, across the dining room. Thank goodness we live in modern times and can express ourselves! ;)

Actually, it's an opinion piece

Of course its an opinion piece and I posted the quote as well. This thread is all based on opinion. It used to be a popular opinion that schools be segregated. That women shouldn't vote. That interracial marriage was forbidden. I could go on and on.

Opinions, and times, change. Often, but not exclusively, for the better.

Personally I wouldn't wear a hat in a restaurant but I would not take offense at the OP doing so. I simply couldn't care less.

Edited by pmd98052