Booze in Suitcase

dinosaurdem

What happens.

They hold your luggage and call you to the security room to hand over the booze, then you get your bag back and go on your way. They then (hopefully) return your booze on the last night of your sailing....

Not worth the hassle. Cruise lines are onto booze smugglers.

If it is outside of the allowed 2 bottles of wine per stateroom (more... Or beer / spirits) and the find it (via a scan), as mentioned your luggage will be delayed / held up on E-Day

You will be called to the Naughty Room to open your luggage (they hold up any / all luggage they find contraband on... Not just booze)

If you are over your wine limit or have beer / booze they will confiscate

What they then do with it is out of your control

As per the Cruise Contract you agreed to they can do any or all of the following in regards to contraband:

1- Hold item to be returned to you at the end of the cruise

2- remove item from person and not return (past Pax have said they had to stand by and watch their illicit booze be poured down The drain) :eek: *gasp*

3- Disembark you from the ship, for breaking the law / terms of your Cruise Contract. Although by all accounts this seems to happen most for Pax with weapons or illegal drugs (in which case said persons were turned over to the Port Authority / Coast Guard / TSA / Homeland Security folks)

Personally, I got to wonder... Why even risk it ? Celebity has a more Than generous program for bringing items aboard so pax can save a bit of money (2 Bottles of Wine per cabin - unlimited Bottled Water, Juice or Pop). Plus their amazing Bevvy Programs

Makes no sense to me

And only means that potentially Celebity's very generous program may change in the future due to abuse (so ou could essentially not just be hurting yourself but others as well)

Play by the rules... It really is not that difficult

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Anyone had any luck with boxes of wine? I'm getting the beverage package, but if I'm getting ready and don't want to run out to the bar, it would be nice to have drinks in the room.

Anyone taken a Bota Box on board with any success?

Also, what if the bottles are 1.5L instead of the standard 750 ml? Do they let that slide or would they confiscate?

In the end, I'll probably just bring 2 bottles of champagne and call it a day, because champagne is an all day drink, and I wouldn't feel weird drinking it with breakfast in the stateroom!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it booze smuggling or interim transportation.

We live in Canada, and travel is a huge expense and time consuming as well. When we are able to travel, we want to combine land and cruise as much as possible.

So it would be nice if there was a way to Check-in our booze for safe keeping upon embarkation (on any cruise line), or just have it sit in our cabin while we wait to enjoy our land based adventure after the cruise.

After all we do have the drink package pre-purchased. If we've already paid, why worry about our booze that is just along for the ride?

We live in Canada, and travel is a huge expense and time consuming as well. When we are able to travel, we want to combine land and cruise as much as possible.

So it would be nice if there was a way to Check-in our booze for safe keeping upon embarkation (on any cruise line), or just have it sit in our cabin while we wait to enjoy our land based adventure after the cruise.

After all we do have the drink package pre-purchased. If we've already paid, why worry about our booze that is just along for the ride?

If this is your concern, you have no worry, they'll hold it for you, for safe keeping, and return it post cruise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

If this is your concern, you have no worry, they'll hold it for you, for safe keeping, and return it post cruise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Unless it gets poured away.:eek:

There are bottle shops in every port, you could just wait til the land portion of the trip starts and buy something then.:D

Unless it gets poured away.:eek:

There are bottle shops in every port, you could just wait til the land portion of the trip starts and buy something then.:D

Yes, there may be bottle shops in every port & city but that doesn't necessarily mean they stock your particular favoured beverage. We love our Aussie Bundaberg Rum & having travelled extensively, we have had very little success in finding our favourite tipple.

I was not planning to take any drink with me as already have the drinks package but would be nice to have a glass of wine in my room some nights, save me going to the bar.

Would I be able to bring on a couple bottles of wine from any port we have visited if i've not already brought it on before?

I may be wrong but I have a feeling the 2 bottles per stateroom only applies on Embarkation Day. Any other time it will be held at the gangway and returned (hopefully) on disembarkation.

OD

Thanks for that, might go and get a couple of bottles before we go then.

Anyone had any luck with boxes of wine? I'm getting the beverage package, but if I'm getting ready and don't want to run out to the bar, it would be nice to have drinks in the room.

Also, what if the bottles are 1.5L instead of the standard 750 ml? Do they let that slide or would they confiscate?

In the end, I'll probably just bring 2 bottles of champagne and call it a day, because champagne is an all day drink, and I wouldn't feel weird drinking it with breakfast in the stateroom!!

Buy a bottle of wine at one of the bars and take it back to your cabin.

:cool:

There have been both reports of people bringing boxes, and large bottles, on with no issues. But there have also been reports of people bringing these on and having them confiscated. Based solely on the number of reports I've read on these boards I'd say the odds are in your favor. But do you really want to take that chance? Why not play it safe and stick to two 750ML or smaller bottles so you'll be sure of getting your items on board.

Just back off Reflection i took a 3... litre wine box on board in my checked in luggage no problem at all and there is no chance of it breaking.....

PayD, I once took a special bottle of liquor to friends in Europe where it is unavailable. I had it wrapped carefully in bubble wrap and securely taped my name and address and stateroom number to the packaging. I brought it to security at the port and asked to see an officer so could explain the plan. He assured me that it would not be poured out. The last night of the transatlantic it was delivered to my stateroom unharmed.

I have heard that during Spring Break they destroy confiscated booze and I wanted to minimize the possibility that would happen, and I had no problems with this "interim transportation " plan.

We have usually had some alcohol in our cases on all the cruises we have taken and have never had an issue. You do run the risk that you are the one that get's picked out though.

If we are in the Caribbean, we have usually taken our duty free limit with us to use in the hotels we use pre and post cruise. You don't have anywhere to leave it while you cruise so that is why you took it with you. The argument doesn't work so well if you are on a med cruise as there is no duty free anymore and you often are travelling straight to the ship that day. If you have extended the holiday with a few days in Barcelona pre cruise it still works.

Gordon

The last time we bought booze at a port, knowing the ship would hold it for us until disembarkation, it was delivered to our cabin broken. Chocolate tequila all over the place. They "replaced" the bottle, but obviously with a different option - in this case the cheapest tequila they had onboard. We no longer bother - I guess if we had some with us pre-cruise it would be worth a shot, but I would avoid doing it if possible. As to smuggling some on hoping it is not confiscated? Might work; might not.

Agree 100% with what LSIMON said in Reply # 16

Why risk it ?

Best case scenario you get the wine to your room... Worse case they throw it out :eek::mad:

Celebrity's Policy is pretty clear as per the Terms & Conditions (fine print in their documentation / Your Cruise Contract):

Item 1 - Alcohol Policy (just the pertinent para)

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

Item 2 - Bringing Alcohol Aboard

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

Stick with the (2) 750 ml bottles... Less complicated

Make them Champagne or Sparkling for your Stateroom as you have proposed, and it really is a winning combo

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Smuggling would be not declaring you have it in your possession, as per the Terms & Conditions of your Cruise Contract (see my Quoted Reply # 21 above)

Interim Transportation would be being aware of the Ts & Cs and making an appropriate Declaration upon boarding... Either on E-Day or at a Port of Call

Mr Sloop & I are Canadian too... So we get the whole buying alcohol cheap / duty free concept when travelling... Especially so if we are not flying home.

Our next cruise stops in Mexico. We have plans to pick up a bottle of REAL high end Tequilla and a bottle of Kahlua ... As no doubt prices compared to home will be beyond ridiculous !!

We also plan to Declare said items to Cekebrity upon getting back on the ship... And fully expect them to say they will be holding them until the last night of the cruise.

No problem.

Now having read PHOENIX DREAM's post # 20, I also plan to find a way to safeguard our investment by wrapping it before handing it over... Probably in a similar fashion to what CRUISESTICH did (Reply # 18)

Cheers!

I was not planning to take any drink with me as already have the drinks package but would be nice to have a glass of wine in my room some nights, save me going to the bar.

Would I be able to bring on a couple bottles of wine from any port we have visited if i've not already brought it on before?

Hi SCOTTO1970

As OFFICER DIBBLE stated in Reply # 13, bringing wine aboard for personal consumption only applies for E-Day. For more info see my Quoted Text from Celebrity above in my Reply # 21

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Funny incident last year, had forgot a small airline bottle of vodka in my carry on at embarkation. The ship's "pseudo "TSA" man" diligently confiscated it. LMAO. On last day of cruise it was returned to me all taped up. Had a laugh. I can only hope they are as serious about illegal dangerous items as they are in their quest to stop items detracting from their profit line.

How about a little common sense.

Funny incident last year, had forgot a small airline bottle of vodka in my carry on at embarkation. The ship's "pseudo "TSA" man" diligently confiscated it. LMAO. On last day of cruise it was returned to me all taped up. Had a laugh. I can only hope they are as serious about illegal dangerous items as they are in their quest to stop items detracting from their profit line.

How about a little common sense.

Same thing happened to my mother on RCCL. She brought 3 or 4 little airplane bottles packed in her suitcase. Silly me, I told her it would be fine because we had cruised on HAL several times and never had a problem. Well, she was called down to the naughty room and scolded. Those blue hairs are a rowdy bunch.