Booze in Suitcase

dinosaurdem

On our only non-Celebrity cruise, I took 2 boxes of wine in my luggage. I had no problem until the cruise was cut short due to a hurricane. I did my best, but we had to leave a good portion in the stateroom. If I'd known that we were going to be stuck in a motel for 7 days, I'd have taken in with me!

Be warned! Friends of ours from Scotland who visited prior to the cruise, brought real Scotch on board for a scotch tasting party and never got to have it. They POURED IT OUT. We have been told, and having been called to the "naughty room" a few years ago because of a prescription bottle they thought had liquor, that they no longer keep it on board.

It might be up to the Captain but I wouldn't take a chance if it's expensive liquor. Besides, the beverage package covers most drinks so we don't even bring wine anymore.

Pat

Stuck a bottle of wine in my luggage on embarkment last May because I didn't want to carry it around on the ship before cabins opened......big mistake! It was a big hassle tracking down my luggage that evening and it ended up at the guest relations desk. I had to wait and open the bag in front of an officer to prove it was just a bottle of wine. Not a good way to start a cruise!

I was not planning to take any drink with me as already have the drinks package but would be nice to have a glass of wine in my room some nights, save me going to the bar.

Would I be able to bring on a couple bottles of wine from any port we have visited if i've not already brought it on before?

It's hit & miss, & I believe really depends quite a bit on the itinerary. We always buy a bottle of whatever the local specialty drink is to bring back home as a souvenir, wine, ouzo, limoncello, etc. One time in one port they had us go to the table where they give you a number ticket & take it to hold for the rest of the cruise. If I count up our European port days where we carried on alcohol, it adds up to about 30, so a one in 30 chance for us. :)

We were taking it home, not drinking it on the ship, so no biggie either way.

I think it's different on shorter, non europe cruises where they're much more strict, especially spring break type cruises

It's hit & miss, & I believe really depends quite a bit on the itinerary. We always buy a bottle of whatever the local specialty drink is to bring back home as a souvenir, wine, ouzo, limoncello, etc. One time in one port they had us go to the table where they give you a number ticket & take it to hold for the rest of the cruise. If I count up our European port days where we carried on alcohol, it adds up to about 30, so a one in 30 chance for us. :)

We were taking it home, not drinking it on the ship, so no biggie either way.

I think it's different on shorter, non europe cruises where they're much more strict, especially spring break type cruises

Probably right, also some ports have security checks on the docks themselves before you even get onto the ship.

Be warned! Friends of ours from Scotland who visited prior to the cruise, brought real Scotch on board for a scotch tasting party and never got to have it. They POURED IT OUT. We have been told, and having been called to the "naughty room" a few years ago because of a prescription bottle they thought had liquor, that they no longer keep it on board.

It might be up to the Captain but I wouldn't take a chance if it's expensive liquor. Besides, the beverage package covers most drinks so we don't even bring wine anymore.

Pat

Perhaps the Captain has an extensive top shelf liquor collection at home!:D(just kidding)

Pat

So, can't I take a bottle of scotch for use in the cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, the allowance is two 750 ml bottles of wine (includes sparkling, red, white or fortified) per cabin.

You can purchase one on board for your room, however, if it is duty free they hold it til the last night of the cruise.

Edited by MicCanberra

No. Just wine is permitted, and that is only 2 Bottles per Stateroom (750 ml each)

You can read Celebrity's Alcohol Policy on their website in the FAQs Section (really should read the FAQS and Celebrity Cruise Contract before you book / sail)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

[/Quote]

Spirits are available for purchase by the Bottle under the Stateroom Bar Set Up Program = http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-beverage-packages?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages_overview

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We always would arrive a day early at the embarkation city a day early and spend the night at a hotel. We would buy a case of water and carry it onboard the ship. 15 cents per bottle sure beat $2.50 per bottle. We woulld also take our 2 bottles of wine. No problem.

I have seen many people sneak vodka on board in water bottles or scotch in a mouthwash bottle. It may work sometimes but we are not cheap college kids anymore so why bother?

Now, with the drink perk package, we just use that, don't bother with the case of water or bottles of wine.

I have seen many people sneak vodka on board in water bottles or scotch in a mouthwash bottle. It may work sometimes but we are not cheap college kids anymore so why bother?

Now, with the drink perk package, we just use that, don't bother with the case of water or bottles of wine.

Exactly, the drink package makes even bringing some wine on redundant.:D

Plus you don't have the angst of "will I get caught? May I bring on this or that?" We are on vacation as soon as the taxi arrives at our home. At that instant we switch to "Don't worry, be happy mode."

Great attitude.:D:D

Can we bring non-alcoholic wine and a case of bottled water. We are going on the Reflection and we are chartering a fishing trip in Puerto Rico and are limited for time to stop on way to charter. I like bottled water when I am in port walking around and hate to pay through the nose for it.

Can we bring non-alcoholic wine and a case of bottled water. We are going on the Reflection and we are chartering a fishing trip in Puerto Rico and are limited for time to stop on way to charter. I like bottled water when I am in port walking around and hate to pay through the nose for it.

Case of bottled water (or as much as you like... No problem). Just tape the case together well (packing / duct tape to the rescue) and slap one of your spare Luggage Tags on it at the Pier... Or ask the Porter for onE and write on your cabin number

Non Alcohol Wine... Also not a problem

But as Celebrity seems to group non alcohol beers & wines onboard their ships into the Alcohol Category just the same :rolleyes:

I would say that you should therefore stick with the 2 Bottles of Wine per Stateroom rule here too

And Carry On is the best place to put it for Carrying onboard

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Bring a couple of drink bottles and just fill up prior to leaving the ship each port. The water on board is fine for drinking.:D

I've not read any reports on Cruise Critic one way or the other on bringing non-alcoholic wine (or beer) on board. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't at least a chance you could run into issues with a security person who isn't familiar with non-alcoholic wine and isn't sure if it is allowed or not. From time to time there are reports of security people confiscating things that common sense would indicate just shouldn't be a problem. So while it makes sense that non-alcoholic wine shouldn't be a problem, I'm not convinced that an issue might not arise.

On the other hand if you're only bringing on one or two bottles and if you're not bringing on any regular wine then it would be no issue in any event since you are allowed to bring on two bottles of wine per cabin at the port of initial embarkation.

Edited by Lsimon

What you will probably find is that wine is wine, no matter with or without the alcohol, and the two bottle per stateroom rule applies.

It's already been seen that fortified wine is wine, sparkling wine is wine, plum wine is wine, and it follows that N/A wine is wine

What you will probably find is that wine is wine, no matter with or without the alcohol, and the two bottle per stateroom rule applies.

It's already been seen that fortified wine is wine, sparkling wine is wine, plum wine is wine, and it follows that N/A wine is wine

I disagree. If my wine had no alcohol I wouldn't call it wine! I'd call it whine. :p

Probably right, also some ports have security checks on the docks themselves before you even get onto the ship.

yes, many of the ports in Europe have a port security check before the ships security check. Still haven't had a problem, the port security is concerned with terrorist activity not the bottle of ouzo that I purchased in Istanbul to take home. :)

We buy the bev. pkg., but it's just easier to store our souvenir wines & spirits in our room rather than check them. But like I stated before, if we are forced to check them in, it's no big deal, it just causes a slight delay in disembarking.

yes, many of the ports in Europe have a port security check before the ships security check. Still haven't had a problem, the port security is concerned with terrorist activity not the bottle of ouzo that I purchased in Istanbul to take home. :)

We buy the bev. pkg., but it's just easier to store our souvenir wines & spirits in our room rather than check them. But like I stated before, if we are forced to check them in, it's no big deal, it just causes a slight delay in disembarking.

Don't they normally provide them to the room the night before?