Cruise card

weylady

Good morning all just a quick question, when you get your cruise card issued to you get a lanyard with it to go round your neck or are you just suppose to put it in your pocket or keep it in a bag with you, its a daft question i know but i don't envisage wanting to carry a bag with me all the time while i am on the ship.

Thank you for any advice. :o

No you don't get a lanyard issued with it. You do get a little card thing which includes a small map of the ship and there is a space for your cruise card, however you only get one of these issued per cabin. I have a very small bag with a shoulder strap that is big enough to put the cruise card and a tissue in when I am on board. When I am off the ship the card goes into whichever bag I take ashore. My husband just puts his card in his pocket. You do see the occasional passenger with a lanyard - you can buy them on board if you want one - but they are few and far between.

It was brought to mind this morning when I was reading our excursion destinations and one of the destinations bore a warning.

Lucky you, off in not many days. I am off on Adonia in another 30 something days.

Have a fabulous time..... enjoy every minute!:)

You can buy lanyards from the on-board shop, when going ashore I just tuck the lanyard under my shirt so you cant see it. Having it in your pocket would be less safe in my opinion.

Without meaning to be ageist, I found only those of a certain advanced age to be the ones wearing their cruise card on a lanyard.

As soon as I saw this, I stuck to keeping it in my pocket!

On some lines it's a status symbol. If you are in the top tier of their loyalty programme and the lanyard states you are such a member, some walk round with it on show as much as possible.

I can understand wearing it on a lanyard on the ship if (especially if you are a big drinker.) I brought my friend a nice sparkly pink one for her first cruise and she said it was invaluable because she loves a drink and sunbathing and dons like carrying loads of stuff or a bag. Oh, and if by a certain age people mean mid-20s then show would fit right into that category!

HOWEVER, why would anyone wear it at port?! Surely you would just put it in your purse/wallet/somewhere safe with your passport and money/credit cards.

The point of a lanyard is that your card is easily accessible for frequent use or because you don't have pockets or a bag. This wouldn't be a problem at port. It's a bit like these people who walk around with their work lanyards on all the time - I can't wait to take mine off as soon as the clock ticks 6pm!

Beware of carrying cruise cards ( and hotel room cards ) in a handbag if the bag has a magnetic fastening.

The magnets in the bag can trash the data on the card so that it won't open your cabin door

John

Credit cards can have the same effect. I had problems on a Princess cruise recently because I'd been carrying my cruise card in my wallet.

Ann

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Forums mobile app

Credit cards can have the same effect. I had problems on a Princess cruise recently because I'd been carrying my cruise card in my wallet.

Ann

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Forums mobile app

That's correct, also mobile phones. But think its quite rare as I think many people like me will mix credit cards, mobile and cruise card in their pocket and its not often over the years I have had to get a new card.

That's correct, also mobile phones. But think its quite rare as I think many people like me will mix credit cards, mobile and cruise card in their pocket and its not often over the years I have had to get a new card.

Three times on embarkation day! It was my mobile that did it!

Three times on embarkation day! It was my mobile that did it!

Unlucky! I still think its fairly rare though or hotels/ships would probably have it printed on the card to avoid phones/magnets etc as they can damage the stored info.

I went through 3 cards last cruise as I stored it in a little across the body bag, but next to my phone! There was no problem though - just had to go to reception and get a new one.

I don't like wearing a lanyard as I had to wear one for years at work - so for me, it will always be associated with work not holidays.

• 4 months later...
LOL. Sounds like my OH. But in her case she always relied on mine! :eek:

Same here, my husband keeps them both in his pocket. I never carry a handbag on board, just gets in the way. If I need anything and need to go back to the room, just get the card off hubby and give it him back on my return.

We normally wear lanyards and we're late 20s, early 30s. My hubby got them to punch a hole in his card last time for using it, which they did with no problems. It was easier than having to reactivate the card several times,which has happened before when it's in my bag and near my phone.

Hi new here. I'm booked on a cruise 25th April on Ventura for the first time so picking up as many tips as possible.

Good tip about the landyards, I think I'll take the one I wear for work as its actually mine anyway, I'll just leave my work pass behind at home. I'm 30 but I won't see it as an age thing, I think its practical.

My husband insists on shirts with breast pockets, especially for his cruise card. Mind you it back fired one time, when he packed the shirt in his luggage on the last evening then put the case out in the corridor and didn't realize until we were about to leave the ship. Luckily they let him off :D:D

Hi new here. I'm booked on a cruise 25th April on Ventura for the first time so picking up as many tips as possible.

Good tip about the landyards, I think I'll take the one I wear for work as its actually mine anyway, I'll just leave my work pass behind at home. I'm 30 but I won't see it as an age thing, I think its practical.

That will work unless you want a P&O branded one as a souvenir which you can buy in the onboard ship for a couple of quid.

Same here, my husband keeps them both in his pocket. I never carry a handbag on board, just gets in the way. If I need anything and need to go back to the room, just get the card off hubby and give it him back on my return.

I deliberately lose Mrs Hat's, reduces the cost of the cruise by 80% ;)