Princess vs Royal Caribbean

georgiacat

Since you asked the question on the port board, if you could give a bit more information on the itinerary differences, that might help others give some answers. If your question relates to differences between the ships or the cruise lines your answer might be better answered by posting in general cruise discussion board....or perhaps each cruise lines board.

I have been a long time cruiser on Royal and been on 3 differend ships with Princess, just so happens we are booked for next Summer for the Baltic and we choose Princess, there are a few reasons, newer ship, we can start our cruise in Berlin and I find that Princess food is better and it seems more elegant. Now that is just my personel preference and taste.

Also I am a little creepped(sp) out with the Brilliance but that is just me I would feel uneasy on that ship and will not plan on taking a cruise on her ever

I have been a long time cruiser on Royal and been on 3 differend ships with Princess, just so happens we are booked for next Summer for the Baltic and we choose Princess, there are a few reasons, newer ship, we can start our cruise in Berlin and I find that Princess food is better and it seems more elegant. Now that is just my personel preference and taste.

Also I am a little creepped(sp) out with the Brilliance but that is just me I would feel uneasy on that ship and will not plan on taking a cruise on her ever

As far as the Brilliance goes...many may not understand. But I do...however I also said I would never cruise to Aruba (I'm sure you know why) but I actually just returned and it ended up being a favorite port. So things and opinions do change with time...keep an open mind ;)

EV2008, why are you "creeped" out by the Brilliance?

These are the two Baltic cruises that our travel agent recommend for next summer. They basically go to the same ports. We have experience with Princess, but do like to try new things. The Princess cruise is 14 days and more expensive per day than the Royal Caribbean 12 day cruise.

I have read that the Royal Caribbean does not have self-laundry (very important to me), but that they do have larger cabins (balcony) and bathrooms than Princess (nice if true).

I am asking on this board to see if anyone could compare the different excursions that each offers, on-board entertainment, lectures about ports, etc.

At the moment I am leaning to the Royal Caribbean (depending on "creeped" out???), but the laundry issue does come into play. I like to try new things. I might like Royal Caribbean better, who knows without trying?

Thanks for the information. I learn so much from Cruise Critic.

EV2008, why are you "creeped" out by the Brilliance?

These are the two Baltic cruises that our travel agent recommend for next summer. They basically go to the same ports. We have experience with Princess, but do like to try new things. The Princess cruise is 14 days and more expensive per day than the Royal Caribbean 12 day cruise.

I have read that the Royal Caribbean does not have self-laundry (very important to me), but that they do have larger cabins (balcony) and bathrooms than Princess (nice if true).

I am asking on this board to see if anyone could compare the different excursions that each offers, on-board entertainment, lectures about ports, etc.

At the moment I am leaning to the Royal Caribbean (depending on "creeped" out???), but the laundry issue does come into play. I like to try new things. I might like Royal Caribbean better, who knows without trying?

Thanks for the information. I learn so much from Cruise Critic.

EV2008 is probably "creeped out"... I'm assuming because of honeymooner George Smith story...disappearance (murder) 2005 from Brilliance.

georgiacat, I would recommend not basing your decision upon the excursions offered by the lines. Most of the Baltic ports - with the exception of St. Petersburg and Berlin - are very easy to navigate on your own (or with an independent tour operator if you would prefer a guide). Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn are not located far from the pier, vastly reducing any risk of your being left behind. My family easily navigated these cities independently even with our 3 year old son in tow. Many of the major independent tour companies in St. Petersburg also offer tours in the other cities Baltic cruises visit, and they offer discounts for using their services for the rest of your Baltic cruise.

This doesn't affect you, but in case anyone else sees the thread title and reads this thread, one of the biggest factors potential Princess cruisers should consider is the fact that the Royal and Regal Princess ships are docking in Nynashamn instead of directly in Stockholm. These ships will miss sailing through the archipelago (one of the highlights for many Baltic cruisers) and will require a tender and a 45 minute - 1 hour train ride to Stockholm.

Edited by kitkat343

Good advice from Kitkat :)

If either sails to Nynashamn rather than Stockholm that's a big minus. I beieve Nynashamn is tendered, it's on the coast an hour from Stockholm and you miss the sail-in and out thro' the archipelago of islands. All due to ships that are too big to sail through the islands. Those that sail to Stockholm's pier at Stadtsgarten are more convenient that those which port at Stockholm's Frhamnen, tho that's not so important.

Also check out the ports at Copenhagen. Langelinnie, by the Little Mermaid, is idea. But there's a new port some distance from the city, sorry I don't know the detail.

Check days and times in port. Most are in SPB two days, some three. Some RCI and others are in for a single day, and that's insufficient. Princess have earned some bad PR for attempting to manipulate immigration lines at SPB, delaying those on private tours to get their ships tour people into the immigration lines ahead of the privateers. I don't know if that's still true or now just history. Check the hours at Warnemunde - important if you want to make the long haul to Berlin.

I'd concentrate on those ports of call differences, ports are far more important than ships on a Baltic cruise.

No, no self-service laundry on RCI, but there is on Princess.

I'm very dubious about the sweeping advice you've been given on cabin and bathroom size. I think you'll find this depends on what ships and what grades.

Very very broadly I've found Princess to be more "elegant", as you put it. And RCI more fun.

And yes, add Celebrity into the equation.

All just MHO as always

JB :)

Seriously???

"Seriously"...I don't understand your post to me at all :confused:....I'm not "creeped out" I was just responding to a question from georgiacat about a comment/post by EV2008.

Edited by Ashland

Caribbean Princess will dock at F638 Frihamnen on both it's visits next year.

Brilliance of the Seas will dock at S167 Stadsgården at all it's visits.

Celebrity Silhouette's/Eclipse's docking locations will vary between S167 Stadsgården and F638 Frihamnen from one visit to another for both.

Edited by Desdichado62

I did a Baltic cruise on Royal Princess this summer. We loved it- not perfect in every way but very nice. For example. The entertainment was geared to an older crowd( I'm 50) and not that interesting to me.

I have not sailed the Brilliance but have sailed Royal Caribbean many times.

We picked the Royal Princess for our cruise for the newer ship - my TA thought I'd be disappointed by the Older ship Experience Royal Caribbean offered. In at Petersburg we did an evening excursion and about ten people -not traveling together a- were from the Brilliance. They offered- very shortly after we met their disappointment in the food, entertainment and cleanliness of the ship. Some were angry.

I mean really angry.

The Baltics is a very port intensive cruise, much like the Mediterranean. But with multiple time changes added in. I did not find it to be like other cruises I have taken it truly was like a floating hotel.

Good luck choosing! It's a fabulous trip.

Thank you all for your input. We are choosing between Caribbean Princess and Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas. They have the same iteniery with 2 days in St. Petersburg and go to the same ports. The Princess schedule has two extra ports (Belgium and Poland). RCI has an extra Sweden port. Can't decide.

I'm sure I'll change my mind a few times. But it will all work out.

It would be so helpful to other posters if you were willing to back up your comment.

Thank you all for your input. We are choosing between Caribbean Princess and Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas. They have the same iteniery with 2 days in St. Petersburg and go to the same ports. The Princess schedule has two extra ports (Belgium and Poland). RCI has an extra Sweden port. Can't decide.

I'm sure I'll change my mind a few times. But it will all work out.

We had our best cruise ever on the Brilliance - 12 days in the Med. We love that class of ships so much that we cruised on sister ship Jewel last spring, and have booked a 2 week New Zealand Cruise on the Serenade, another in that class.

I cannot comment on Princess but am looking forward to cruising with them some day.

For others- Kitkat343 makes a good point, sailing through the archipelago into Stockholm was one of the highlights of our Baltic cruise (not with RCI).

I have been on 2 Baltic cruises, and both were on Royal Caribbean: 12-night Jewel of the Seas in July 2005 from Harwich, and 11-night Legend of the Seas in June 2014 from Copenhagen. The latter had the best itinerary, with 3 days in St. Petersburg.

I would choose the itinerary first, and then the ship. I like Princess, but RCI had the better Baltic itinerary and price.