Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

That's the point. In this particular case, the host does not request a tux nor ball gown.

and neither does celebrity - but they DO require a suit and fancy dress for a woman. (not necessarily a dress, just something fancy that you wouldn't wear to mcdonalds for dinner.)

Here's the thing...we all pay for all inclusive...with the exception of specialty restaurants, so why should I not be allowed to partake of something that I paid for? Perhaps the "formal nights" should be only in the specialty restaurants? That way those who want to only be surrounded by formally dressed people can be?

i'm sorry but i just don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand that it's not about HAVING to dress for dinner. it's not like there is no dinner served if you don't want to dress up on formal nights. it's not just table scraps for the unwashed masses. there IS STILL DINNER elsewhere!

it's not about tuxes and ball gowns

it's about the RULES!!! - celebrity publishes a dress code and you are supposed to abide by it. shoes, no pajamas, no swimsuits in the buffet. - this we all agree on so...

why is is so darn difficult for people to follow the rules in the MDR

Here's the thing...we all pay for all inclusive...with the exception of specialty restaurants, so why should I not be allowed to partake of something that I paid for? Perhaps the "formal nights" should be only in the specialty restaurants? That way those who want to only be surrounded by formally dressed people can be?

because celebrity has been in business long before you decided to cruise with them and thems the rulz.

(not all inclusive - booze still costs)

Can you point out to me where it say that no tie is requested?

As I explained earlier in this thread, we were on the Infinity from Dec 4-Dec 20, 2014. On the second of three formal nights, the maitre de visited our table. After general small talk and inquiries about our cruise experience so far, he told us that the gentlemen were not required to wear a tie for the final formal evening.

No one at OUR table even mentioned ties, formal night or clothing during this conversation. His suggestion was completely unsolicited by us. The same message must have been delivered to the other tables as there were very few ties in attendance on the last formal night.

There were, however, a group of ten men and women who wore black slacks and ten identical black long sleeved T-shirts with tuxedo fronts printed on them. Yes, they WERE admitted to the MDR.

No. That is not the rules. Men do not have to wear ties, they do not have to wear a tux. Women do not have to wear ball gowns.

As for other food options we can all agree the other "inclusive" options really aren't on par with the MDR and as long as the maitre d doesn't deny entry then how can it possibly be the business of any other passengers. I just can't figure out how my choice of wardrobe affects anybody else's cruise. (For what it's worth, I always wear a dress to dinner on a cruise every night and my husband wears dockers and a collared shirt, I wear a cocktail dress and he wears his gray suit on formal nights, so it's not as though I'll change my habits, I just can't stand snobs)

In that case let's apply the same standard to women. How would you feel if YOU were forced to wear a jacket and tie? I imagine because you enjoy formal nights you would probably do it but wouldn't you feel somewhat uncomfortable wearing something so foreign? Wouldn't you be annoyed at having to buy or rent something you didn't really enjoy wearing. Wouldn't it annoy you that you weren't allowed to wear your gown because it didn't fit the dress code?

My guess is that you would look at this new dress code for women and think it was idiotic. You would probably choose to eat elsewhere but I doubt you would be happy about it.

:thumbup: Explains why the sales of women's pantyhose have dropped nearly 70% in the US over the last 15 years.

Edited by jkgourmet

why is is so darn difficult for people to follow the rules in the MDR

1. Because the "rules" are NOT crystal clear. Especially when defining what is appropriate for women. Hell, it's not even clear if men are REQUIRED to wear a tie.

2. Because the "rules" are not being applied \ enforced on board. My suspicion is that the on board staff don't want to deal with the unclear corporate definition and "rules" of formal wear.

3. Because the "rules" are subjective.

Sounds like Dynamic Dining. I've always argued that those who want the "Special" experience of a formal evening are the ones that should have to pay for it. Better still, no one should have to pay extra just because of the way they like to dress.

Edited by gek

No. That is not the rules. Men do not have to wear ties, they do not have to wear a tux. Women do not have to wear ball gowns.

As for other food options we can all agree the other "inclusive" options really aren't on par with the MDR and as long as the maitre d doesn't deny entry then how can it possibly be the business of any other passengers. I just can't figure out how my choice of wardrobe affects anybody else's cruise. (For what it's worth, I always wear a dress to dinner on a cruise every night and my husband wears dockers and a collared shirt, I wear a cocktail dress and he wears his gray suit on formal nights, so it's not as though I'll change my habits, I just can't stand snobs)

with all due respect i don't think you are reading what some of us are writing. i never said that tuxes or ball gowns were required - in fact it is you that keeps mentioning that. my hubs wore a suit and tie both formal nights and i wore a knee length dress one night and the other a long dress and i did so because it was required of me. because, shockingly enough, i choose to follow the rules.

the dress code you have chosen for yourself and husband is more than a lot of other cruisers chose to wear on regular nights so i am confused as to why you are posting.

and for the record, just because i chose to follow the rules doesn't make me a snob.

2. Because the "rules" are not being applied \ enforced on board. My suspicion is that the on board staff don't want to deal with the unclear corporate definition and "rules" of formal wear.

3. Because the "rules" are subjective.

just because the rules are not being enforced doesn't mean that we should flout them. there is no smoking on balconies and if someone doesn't get caught that shouldn't mean that others should try to do the same.

i'll make sure to tell the next cop that stops me when i am speeding, just over the limit, that rules are 'subjective'.

And somehow "snobs" isn't name calling??????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

You are right, "snobs" is name calling, and I can act like my young nephew and say "they did it first", but that really isn't an excuse. My dander got up when I was called trailer trash, and the truth is that if somebody calls somebody else "trailer trash" because they aren't dressed like we want them to be, then by definition they are a snob. I have not called a particular person a snob....just the attitude....it is a slight distinction, but it is one that I am going to stand by as far as this is concerned.

Here's the thing...we all pay for all inclusive...with the exception of specialty restaurants, so why should I not be allowed to partake of something that I paid for? ...

Can we also assume, then, that, although Celebrity says bathing suits are not permitted in the main dining room at breakfast or lunch, you'd be OK wearing just a bathing suit because, after all, you paid for all inclusive?

Are you also OK with folks wearing just a robe for the same reason?

Can we also assume, then, that, although Celebrity says bathing suits are not permitted in the main dining room at breakfast or lunch, you'd be OK wearing just a bathing suit because, after all, you paid for all inclusive?

Are you also OK with folks wearing just a robe for the same reason?

So long as he has a six pack I wont be complaining about his budgie smugglers.

[quote name=camii40;....

i'll make sure to tell the next cop that stops me when i am speeding' date=' just over the limit, that rules are 'subjective'.[/quote]

Bad example , in most countries speeding is an absolute offence. Murder is a better example. Throwing someone overboard in a fit of anger because they've broken the dress code might be Manslaughter.

First off, throwing toddlers overboard probably isn't specifically stated either, but I'm pretty sure that would be a bad idea. Secondly, as for the bathrobe, bathing suit thing, I would have no problem with it. I can't for the life of me figure out how what somebody else chooses to wear would affect my cruise at all. I have honestly never noticed what somebody is wearing, except once and that was just one super adorable pair of shoes....I really couldn't care less what somebody else wears, it does not affect me or my cruise enjoyment one little bit.

Can you point out to me where it say that no tie is requested? Again, I don't care if someone wears one or not, The dress codes also say nothing about shirts shoes and socks being required on formal nights. According the way it's written all you need to wear is your dinner jacket and slacks. Most adults know exactly what that means and don't try to interpret things for their convenience.

Greetings

I never wear socks and have never had a host/hostess check for them. Sorry if you think they are required. And Celebrity does have a dress code for shoes.

As Einstein once said, "If you have socks you don't need shoes, if you have shoes you don't need socks. They are redundant".

Good Sailing

Tom

This thread makes me think of the song "Don't Worry be Happy." lol

Right from Celebrity Cruises website:

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Secondly, as for the bathrobe, bathing suit thing, I would have no problem with it. I can't for the life of me figure out how what somebody else chooses to wear would affect my cruise at all. really couldn't care less what somebody else wears, it does not affect me or my cruise enjoyment one little bit.

follow this logic. if one sits beside you at breakfast, lunch or dinner and they are dressed in clothing one can probably assume they have bathed, maybe not but probably.

if one sits beside you in a bathrobe and/or pajamas, unless they are hugh hefner, they have probably not bathed - and at dinner that means they have been funky all day.

i for one do not want to sit beside anyone i KNOW has not bathed.

i really DO NOT want to see mens underarm hair while i am dining, so bathing suits and tanks are out too. - and there are some men who still believe in banana hammock's so that is definitely not a look i need to see while dining

Edited by camii40
banana hammocks