Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

More evidence of the fact that the majority of men prefer not to wear ties.

On the subject or respect, I've always thought one of the worst ways of being disrespectful is to judge people by what they wear, particularly if you don't know them personally.

I have no doubt that some people who flaunt the dress code are being intentionally disrespectful. They are a small minority and can usually be ignored or perhaps chuckled at. However most just don't understand why how they dress should be anyone else's business particularly if they dress tidily and (in their eyes) respectfully.

And before anyone brings up the issues of being respectful to your "host", I should point out that there is a massive difference between being the guest of an individual and the paying customer of a huge corporation.

Well, I happen to be a paying guest of a large corporation, who wishes proper tradtions be maintained. Those who do not are more than welcome to stay home!

Formal nights on the Eclipse this summer ( ex UK) were very well attended and I don't recall seeing anyone not in the required dress. We would personally prefer not to have to dress up formally but if that is what they ask for then we'll fall in line. Even on non formal nights i like to think my wife and I make a small effort to appear reasonably presentable to our dining companions.

Maybe the situation is slightly different in Eurooe. I notice that Cunard and P&O both maintain much stricter dress codes. Perhaps too strict for us. I don't want to have to wear a jacket every night and a tie most nights. It will be interesting to see what happens with the dress codes on these ships in the future. I think P&O has different rules for different ships now.

Every line now seems to accept dark suit as an alternative to dinner suit / tuxedo - when did that change? It must have changed for a reason. Rule breaking aside, which I personally don't agree with, the gradual relaxation of the stated dress requirements must be happening for a reason - Perhaps it is off putting to a lot of potential clients who will in time become future loyal elite plusses. You can bemoan the fact that you think Celebrity is letting a lot of "the wrong sorts" on board (I'm horrified when I read views like this) but If Celebrity think these people will still be renting cabins and buying martinis in 30 years time that's what matters you can't blame them from trying to get them on board.

As for the "it's my holiday I'll do whatever I like"mind set, enjoy your holiday but you should, in my opinion , respect others. I think it was Steve Martin who said, when asked " do you mind if I smoke?", replied " do you mind if I fart?". Hopefully, people who feel the need to enjoy their holiday their way unhindered by other peoples standards don't feel the need for either of these in the MDR!

Edited by DYKWIA

Sometimes I eat at a fast food restaurant or a diner...sometimes I eat at a 5* restaurant. There's nothing wrong with either. And just because a fast food restaurant is more casual than a 5* restaurant, it doesn't mean that you can't have "important or wealthy people" in your company...the same holds true for a 5* restaurant--it doesn't mean that it is all well to do people there. And where I go is based on...do I feel like dressing up this evening, or being a little more casual and head out in a pair of jeans.

The same holds true on a cruise. It really doesn't matter to me who I am dining with (if they are important or not (as referenced in an earlier post), whether they have money or not, or whether they are on a once in a lifetime cruise that they have had to save every penny to be able to afford).

To me, what's important however, is that everyone have the option to be able to enjoy what they would like to do. I, personally, usually enjoy dressing up in the evenings and going to dinner...and look forward to the MDR or specialty restaurants. My preference would be that everyone be dressed up as well, as it does impact the ambience of our experience. Do I really care and will it make/break my night? No, it won't, but it would still be nice, nonetheless to see people dressed up. However, not everyone likes to dress up all of the time. SO, I think having only 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise is a compromise. Those that don't like to dress up, don't have to for 5 nights of the week. The other 2 nights, well, they can either join in and follow Celebrity's dress code (and I don't even mean tuxes and ball gowns...cocktail dresses and dark suits look very nice!), or enjoy one of the other more casual venues. And then for those of us that do like to dress up, we get 2 nights of the 7 day cruise, to enjoy it the way we like to--sharing a nice dining experience with equally appreciative people of formal nights.

I truly don't understand why people would think I'm a pompous ass because I enjoy dressing up and admiring others who are as well, and that I also think that there needs to be a compromise for those that do like to dress up, and then for those that don't. And my personal preferences aside, the fact of the matter is, Celebrity does still have this dress code policy. You may not have to respect me as a fellow passenger, but I was brought up to respect policies/rules/procedures...whatever you would like to call it, and I've just not been able to understand why other people feel the need to not abide by them. I'm also a person that doesn't park in a physically disabled parking spot either, but I think we all witness those people that shouldn't and do...

Edited by mlrandpkm

Sometimes I eat at a fast food restaurant or a diner...sometimes I eat at a 5* restaurant. There's nothing wrong with either. And just because a fast food restaurant is more casual than a 5* restaurant, it doesn't mean that you can't have "important or wealthy people" in your company...the same holds true for a 5* restaurant--it doesn't mean that it is all well to do people there. And where I go is based on...do I feel like dressing up this evening, or being a little more casual and head out in a pair of jeans.

The same holds true on a cruise. It really doesn't matter to me who I am dining with (if they are important or not (as referenced in an earlier post), whether they have money or not, or whether they are on a once in a lifetime cruise that they have had to save every penny to be able to afford).

To me, what's important however, is that everyone have the option to be able to enjoy what they would like to do. I, personally, usually enjoy dressing up in the evenings and going to dinner...and look forward to the MDR or specialty restaurants. My preference would be that everyone be dressed up as well, as it does impact the ambience of our experience. Do I really care and will it make/break my night? No, it won't, but it would still be nice, nonetheless to see people dressed up. However, not everyone likes to dress up all of the time. SO, I think having only 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise is a compromise. Those that don't like to dress up, don't have to for 5 nights of the week. The other 2 nights, well, they can either join in and follow Celebrity's dress code (and I don't even mean tuxes and ball gowns...cocktail dresses and dark suits look very nice!), or enjoy one of the other more casual venues. And then for those of us that do like to dress up, we get 2 nights of the 7 day cruise, to enjoy it the way we like to--sharing a nice dining experience with equally appreciative people of formal nights.

I truly don't understand why people would think I'm a pompous ass because I enjoy dressing up and admiring others who are as well, and that I also think that there needs to be a compromise for those that do like to dress up, and then for those that don't. And my personal preferences aside, the fact of the matter is, Celebrity does still have this dress code policy. You may not have to respect me as a fellow passenger, but I was brought up to respect policies/rules/procedures...whatever you would like to call it, and I've just not been able to understand why other people feel the need to not abide by them. I'm also a person that doesn't park in a physically disabled parking spot either, but I think we all witness those people that shouldn't and do...

Beautifully stated :)

Edited by DinaS

I dress for dinner regardless the dress code. However, the days of tuxedos and evenings gowns are gone on most cruiselines. The pompous ass comment was for the person who called everybody not formally dressed "trailer trash" and said they will throw a tantrum and have anybody not dressed to their personal standards thrown out of the dining room. I guess I must be different because what somebody else wears just doesn' t affect me at all. However some jerk making a scene and trying to humiliate somebody else absolutely does affect me. As for the person who for some reason thought it was funny to take a swipe at me and imply I can't afford to cruise...I suppose your children are the kids who bully the poor? Great example....yes, my husband and I do compare prices once we decide where we want to. We retired at 50 so we could enjoy ourselves and we intend to continue to use common sense when choosing vacation plans.

Respect or not, Celebrity is changing the rules themselves ON BOARD.

Whether or not we agree or disagree has no bearing on this discussion. The fact is that the celebrity maître de came to every table and said that men were not required to wear a tie for the third formal night in a 16 night cruise. And the VAST majority evidently appreciated it as few ties were in evidenence.

If it was a 16 day cruise they would normally have 4 formal evenings. More recently they seem to be going with three. Is it possible that the Maitre'd was speaking about the 4th evening?

You have hit the nail on the head. There are so many options for people to enjoy their cruise and still abide by the dress codes that "Celebrity" has provided.

The sad thing is that these dress code threads seem to be taken over by people who rush to point out an exception they have seen and encouraging others to do the same.

Celebrity's dress code has always included suits and cocktail dresses as part of their code and even when men wear sport jackets and slacks they are at least trying to get into the spirit of formal evenings. Women have always been able to wear dressy dresses, pants and sparkly tops, etc. Anyone who says that the great majority of people do not follow the dress code in the dining room is just being disingenuous.

Of course there are always some people who get in wearing less than the standard. The Maitre'd and staff are busy and really don't want to have to confront people or tackle them at the door and once on board passengers aren't commenting on others.

My concern is for people who are new to a Celebrity cruise and read these threads and then may end up feeling out of place when they get on board. Let's not do them a disservice.

Several posts have been removed.

Reminder, this is part of our Community Guidelines:

...Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them...

Beautifully stated :)

Thank you. :D

And Ma Bell ( I have NO idea how to multi quote ;)...But I completely agree with you about "My concern is for people who are new to a Celebrity cruise and read these threads and then may end up feeling out of place when they get on board. Let's not do them a disservice."

Well, I happen to be a paying guest of a large corporation, who wishes proper tradtions be maintained. Those who do not are more than welcome to stay home!

That is your opinion not the wishes of Celebrity Cruise Line. If it was they would enforce

the simple MDR evening dress guidelines (as they should). Based on that alone those that don't elect to dress according to the simple MDR evening dress guidelines do not need to stay home or eat else where and I'll bet Celebrity would agree with me.

My concern is for people who are new to a Celebrity cruise and read these threads and then may end up feeling out of place when they get on board. Let's not do them a disservice.

Funny you say that because I was so paranoid last month on Summit, first Celebrity cruise, that i was thinking everyone was staring me down if i wasn't dressed as least smart casual just walking around in the evening. I knew this was silly but I could not stop. I often like to dress more casual and just do the buffet (not always) but even doing that I would worry I was under dressed just to walk around the ship before/after the buffet in that attire. I went on the cruise knowing that the more formal dress code is most about the MDR and other restaurants smart casual but with all I kept reading on here I was afraid of fashion police all around the ship so I totally get what you are saying here.

Formal night is another matter all together for sure and I just don't enjoy that, but as others have said ... choices ... and mine is to definitely avoid the MDR those nights.

For the record I agree if Celebrity has a dress policy for a venue, then it is in poor taste not to at least make the effort.

Edited by poffles

What I hate about the dress code arguments is the way extreme examples are used to smear the other side. The formal side of the argument paints the opposition as rude, disrespectful yokels who dress in t-shirts and shorts to intentionally spoil everyone's holiday. Meanwhile the more casual dressers assume the other side is a bunch of stuck-up, tuxedo-clad snobs who yearn for the days of steerage class when the poor knew their rightful place.

Neither portrait is representative of 99% of cruisers

I hate it that because I don't wear suits or ties I am assumed by some to be a disrespectful boor. Well, sure, I can be at times but usually not in the company of strangers and I generally avoid formal occasions because I dislike the ambience.

I'm sure there are some here who hate it that because they like dressing formally they are assumed to be stuck-up jerks.

Perhaps we should start with giving each other the benefit of the doubt and not making assumptions about people because of the way they like to dress.

Unfortunately it appears that Celebrity fosters this debate. None of the other boards have this passionate debate. Maybe it is intentional to exclude a certain "class" of customers...who knows why it seems to be an issue, but I do know it has definitely made me dread our cruise rather than look forward to. I'm certain simply because of this I will only have this one Celebrity cruise.

Unfortunately it appears that Celebrity fosters this debate. None of the other boards have this passionate debate. Maybe it is intentional to exclude a certain "class" of customers...who knows why it seems to be an issue, but I do know it has definitely made me dread our cruise rather than look forward to. I'm certain simply because of this I will only have this one Celebrity cruise.

All I can say to that is that if you had never come here to discuss this issue then it never would have become an issue. The vast majority of cruisers never even know that this debate exists. They just get on with enjoying their holiday in whatever way they see fit. You should, too.

And I can guarantee that Celebrity is not trying to exclude anyone. They want everyone's money no matter what "class" they are.

Not necessarily. I came here to gather information. I didn't start this thread, nor did I comment on the beginning of the discussion. The funny thing is that I always dress for dinner. I dress up every night, but that's my choice, and as long as I follow the official dress code, I shouldn't be made to feel "trailer trash" because I am not wearing a prom dress and my husband is in a suit rather than a tux.

Not necessarily. I came here to gather information. I didn't start this thread, nor did I comment on the beginning of the discussion. The funny thing is that I always dress for dinner. I dress up every night, but that's my choice, and as long as I follow the official dress code, I shouldn't be made to feel "trailer trash" because I am not wearing a prom dress and my husband is in a suit rather than a tux.

The only place you might be made to feel like "trailer trash" is here on these boards. There are some very odd characters here, or at least people whose characters take on very weird forms when they choose to post on dress code discussions.

Celebrity ships (or the vast majority of passengers) are categorically NOT like you have been led to think. There is no way I would cruise with them if they were. Stop worrying and enjoy your cruise.

Please don't dread your upcoming B-Day Cruise with Celebrity. Celebritys Cruise staff will make you feel very special. Go and judge for youeself. BTW the only people that matter conerning the MDR evening dress are those that work for the Celebrity and not the opinions of Cruisers on these forums. Bon Voyage and Happy Birthday.

If one tells the staff that your luggage was lost by the airlines you can wear anything in the dining room.

I saw someone wearing shorts and a t-shirt who supposedly had his luggage lost.

You realize this does happen, & if you're doing a Pacific or Atlantic crossing, you have no recourse... I've sailed with people who've had their luggage lost... not fun to go without, but Celebrity supplied them with free same day laundry & a discount to the on board shops.

Most people were understanding about their shorts & assorted Celebrity branded polo's & tee's each night.

My wife, however, wore the same style of dress she usually does for these things (I suppose one would call it a cocktail dress, hangs 1-2" above the knee). When she walked out of the theater briefly (we were sitting at one of the "bar type" seats at the back), she was approached by a couple women that told her that her dress was "too short for an adults cruise."

Luckily, these pitiful individuals seemed to be in the minority, and we enjoyed the rest of our cruise. We also met some wonderful people along the way.

i was on the reflection from the 13 - 20th, i cannot believe the gall of those women. incredibly rude to say the least!:eek:

(we just got off the reflection dec 13 - 20th and did dress for dinner each night and for the formal nights - long formal dress the second night and very uncomfortable high heels ;) - poor hubs could not find his dress shoes - they were hidden under the bed and was so upset to have to wear his deck shoes with his suit.)

i look at it this way. i could care less if i am sitting at a table on formal night and i and my hubs are in formal wear and everyone else is in shorts and tee's. it's not going to affect how i enjoy the evening or the food - HOWEVER, that being said IF it IS formal night there SHOULD be an enforced dress code. if one does not want to dress for dinner there are other venues where they can eat. is it fair that they have to eat elsewhere and cannot enjoy the food in the MDR? heck yes it is because it is FORMAL night. i cannot go to dinner ANYWHERE indoors on land without a shirt or shoes (no service - RULES), many restaurants have dress codes and if i want to frequent them i have to adhere to their rules. the same should be said of formal night. celebrity sets a dress code and it should be enforced. if you don't want to partake no one is forcing you. do i always want to get all gussied up for a wedding especially when it is hot? no but i would never be so rude as to wear shorts or flip flops to a wedding so if i don't want to dress up i simply don't attend.

i enjoyed dressing up for formal nights but perhaps our next cruise i won't so if that is the case i will plan to have dinner elsewhere those two nights.

The funny thing is that I always dress for dinner. I dress up every night, but that's my choice, and as long as I follow the official dress code, I shouldn't be made to feel "trailer trash" because I am not wearing a prom dress and my husband is in a suit rather than a tux.

my hubs wore a suit both nights with different shirts and ties. definitely not made to feel like trash

Just off Summit and didn't see dress code being enforced - 2nd formal night we had at least a few couples in jeans and casual (non-tshirt) tops. Routinely saw shorts and t-shirts for dinners on the smart casual nights. MDR had a discreet but hard to miss sign on the way out reminding guests that shorts were not acceptable in the MDR but clearly was not being enforced.