Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

We have cruised with Carnival, Norwegian and Costa...all these ships have formal nights as well. My DH always wears khaki slacks and a collared t shirt, I usually wear Capri and a cap sleeved t shirt. We have never had an issue.

We believe being on vacation is to be totally relaxed not stressing over what to wear or ironing or any of that nonsense.

We will do the same on our upcoming Constellation cruise.

We have cruised with Carnival, Norwegian and Costa...all these ships have formal nights as well. My DH always wears khaki slacks and a collared t shirt, I usually wear Capri and a cap sleeved t shirt. We have never had an issue.

We believe being on vacation is to be totally relaxed not stressing over what to wear or ironing or any of that nonsense.

NCL actually has "dress up or not" nights. No formal dress is required.

As for Celebrity - according to the Celebrity website, and the dress code - those outfits won't cut it in the MDR on formal night. It's a shame that folks purposely don't follow formal dress rules - why not just dine in another venue or find a cruiseline without actual formal nights?

Many folks enjoy the dressing up aspect of their cruise, and appreciate that others will follow the same rules in order to create the expected ambiance.

I, for one, expect that folks in the MDR will be dressed up on formal nights, as is required.

Khakis and a collared t-shirt is barely smart-casual.

:mad:

Many folks enjoy the dressing up aspect of their cruise, and appreciate that others will follow the same rules in order to create the expected ambiance.

I, for one, expect that folks in the MDR will be dressed up on formal nights, as is required.

Khakis and a collared t-shirt is barely smart-casual.

:mad:

I guess your idea of smart casual is semi formal.......

And as for ambiance. What someone else is doing or wearing at there table should not affect the vibe at your own table. Ambiance is not based on clothing. It is the company you keep and the feeling of the night in your own space. If you are concerned what everyone else is doing , you are what is distracting from your own ambiance. Keep that in mind. TY

Edited by crash3x

And as for ambiance. What someone else is doing or wearing at there table should not affect the vibe at your own table. Ambiance is not based on clothing. It is the company you keep and the feeling of the night in your own space. If you are concerned what everyone else is doing , you are what is distracting from your own ambiance. Keep that in mind. TY

That's just it...I don't think it's the POSTER'S idea. Read Celebrity's guidelines. They, as a cruise line, put a lot of time, money and effort into Formal Nights...to give the guests a special experience. Most people then also take the time and effort to dress up for formal nights. I don't think anyone is questioning your choice of dress--however, I think for the formal nights, it would be most considerate to follow Celebrity's guidelines and go to an alternative dining venue.

Why thank you for your wonderful insight into what constitutes ambiance on formal nights.

Celebrity PURPOSELY makes these rules so that the entire dining room has a certain ambiance. They also purposely allow other dining venues to remain "smart casual" so folks who don't wish to dress formally don't have to.

No one is telling you that you have to dress up. You simply need to follow the rules that EVERY OTHER PASSENGER is expected to follow.

If you don't wish to dress up, you can simply dine in another venue.

It really IS that simple.

Thank YOU!

That's just it...I don't think it's the POSTER'S idea. Read Celebrity's guidelines. They, as a cruise line, put a lot of time, money and effort into Formal Nights...to give the guests a special experience. Most people then also take the time and effort to dress up for formal nights. I don't think anyone is questioning your choice of dress--however, I think for the formal nights, it would be most considerate to follow Celebrity's guidelines and go to an alternative dining venue.

Bingo! I totally agree. Formal Nights are something special and unique to cruises that are, for us, a major element of the cruise experience. Walking into the MDR and seeing all the beautiful dresses and smart tuxedos makes the night very special. It always reminds us of our wedding day and those of many of our friends.

Celebrity, wisely, offers excellent alternatives for those who choose not to participate so it should not that big a deal for them.

Be prepared not to eat in the MDR on formal nights.

We have cruised over 20 times on Celebrity, and find there is always a themed night, i.e. Black & White dress, 60's, disco, etc., but we NEVER have been advised beforehand. I would love to pack something, but how do I know ahead of time?:)

We have cruised over 20 times on Celebrity, and find there is always a themed night, i.e. Black & White dress, 60's, disco, etc., but we NEVER have been advised beforehand. I would love to pack something, but how do I know ahead of time?:)

I would check with the Roll Call of one of the cruises (same itinerary) that returns before your cruise leaves. Once they get back, they'll be able to let you in on any themed nights or parties.

Glad I read this thread. Sounds like I need to pack a couple extra pairs of pants for night time.

I wear a suit to formal night dinners. Other nights, khaki or grey pants with a golf polo or dress shirt. Hopefully that won't put me too far out of place.

A dark suit is perfect for formal nights, and it sounds like you will fit in just fine for regular nights.

Glad I read this thread. Sounds like I need to pack a couple extra pairs of pants for night time.

I wear a suit to formal night dinners. Other nights, khaki or grey pants with a golf polo or dress shirt. Hopefully that won't put me too far out of place.

Hi, a golf shirt and either pants,(kahki's or grey slacks) are just fine

for non-formal nights. You won't be out of place at all.:)

DH and I were finishing up our packing last night. As we were filling up our suitcases, we realized we didn't have any formal wear packed. We ran out of room! :eek: We are in AQ so my understanding is we are (dare I say) not "required/expected" to dress up in order to dine in Blu or the specialty restaurants if we choose to do so. Is that correct? We have plenty of smart casual (pants and button down shirts for DH and pants and a nice blouse for me). Will that be appropriate? I just don't want to have any problems with our attire or feel out of place for dinner.

We are in AQ so my understanding is we are (dare I say) not "required/expected" to dress up in order to dine in Blu or the specialty restaurants if we choose to do so. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.

DH and I were finishing up our packing last night. As we were filling up our suitcases, we realized we didn't have any formal wear packed. We ran out of room! :eek: We are in AQ so my understanding is we are (dare I say) not "required/expected" to dress up in order to dine in Blu or the specialty restaurants if we choose to do so. Is that correct? We have plenty of smart casual (pants and button down shirts for DH and pants and a nice blouse for me). Will that be appropriate? I just don't want to have any problems with our attire or feel out of place for dinner.

Look at it this way. If you are staying in a hotel where a formal wedding reception is underway but your plan is to dine at a restaurant in the hotel, you'll be fine with "smart casual" attire in the restaurant.

The same on a cruise. You'll feel out of place in the MDR but not in Blu or any other venue.

Hope your cruise is enjoyable and worry free.

Edited by Sow There

Just got off the Constellation nine-day caribbean cruise and on formal nights we saw EVERY kind of clothing. We saw no one turned away at the main dining room. One woman had short shorts, dressy but still.....One guy wore light blue tight jeans and a sport shirt.....there were several tee shirts, and many men without ties or coats. So it looks like Celebrity has really relaxed its dress code, or maybe it's just in the warm climate? On the other end of the spectrum, many men looked handsome in tuxes and one woman had a very glittery tight low cut dress with a train she dragged behind her. We enjoyed watching the parade!

Edited by Toots

DH and I along with our kids (DS 10 & DD 5) will be on a 12-night Scandinavian cruise in May. I'm still mulling over the formal nights and whether we will all go, just the adults, or none of us. The kids very much want to participate, so I feel the need to at least consider it.

So, my questions-

1) How cool is the MDR? Most of my daughter's fancier dresses are sleeveless. Will I need to bring a nice wrap or sweater for her?

2) My son doesn't have a suit, but he has black pants, black shoes, a button down shirt and tie. Should he have a jacket?

3) Is there any sense of an unspoken no kids at formal nights rule? My kids will be well behaved (or else!), but I do understand that we all occasionally like some kid free time.

I have no idea, but don't you think the cruise being in Scandinavia will loosen the DC a bit? Your name suggests you are yourself a Scandinavian (as am I).

It's hard to make Scandinavians dress up on their vacation :)

Just got off the Constellation nine-day caribbean cruise and on formal nights we saw EVERY kind of clothing. We saw no one turned away at the main dining room. One woman had short shorts, dressy but still.....One guy wore light blue tight jeans and a sport shirt.....there were several tee shirts, and many men without ties or coats. So it looks like Celebrity has really relaxed its dress code, or maybe it's just in the warm climate? On the other end of the spectrum, many men looked handsome in tuxes and one woman had a very glittery tight low cut dress with a train she dragged behind her. We enjoyed watching the parade!
That is pretty much how it was on my last cruises (sans the dress with a train) and I'm sure it will probably be the same on my January Summit cruise. Sometime back a poster disagreed with what many of us were saying about how laxed the dress coded had become and said that the majority wore formal/cocktail attire and said they would post pictures. Edited by NLH Arizona

Our group of 6 (Elite plus members) have always dressed for formal night and enjoyed the evening. However on a cruise earlier this year on the Silhouette (7 Nights from Fort Lauderdale) on the 2nd formal night the HOTEL director hosted the Captains table and included at the table were 2 gentlemen with slacks and open colar shirts...no jackets. I thought this must have been bad screening by the social hostess but I came to find out that the Hotel Director himself invited these 2 guys.

Why would I try to dress the part if in fact the Hotel Director, a senior officer on the ship, allows something like this to occur. To me what it showed was no respect for the passengers who tried to follow the formal dress code. I sent pictures of the formal table and corresponded with Celebrity's Florida HQ..their response is that they would send the email/pictures to the ship..never heard anything more!!

Bottom line... after this experience, formal night on Celebrity is a JOKE!!!!

We had a great cruise on the Reflection this week, but we did have one dress code.....shall you say..."run-in."

My wife and I are 20-somethings (26 and 27) so I knew our style of dress would probably be different than the majority. I wore a charcoal suit and a grey suit (two formal nights). I don't own a tux, and I don't rent one for a cruise. The second suit was lighter than what was being worn in most places, but I never got any comments.

My wife, however, wore the same style of dress she usually does for these things (I suppose one would call it a cocktail dress, hangs 1-2" above the knee). When she walked out of the theater briefly (we were sitting at one of the "bar type" seats at the back), she was approached by a couple women that told her that her dress was "too short for an adults cruise."

Luckily, these pitiful individuals seemed to be in the minority, and we enjoyed the rest of our cruise. We also met some wonderful people along the way.

We had a great cruise on the Reflection this week, but we did have one dress code.....shall you say..."run-in."

My wife and I are 20-somethings (26 and 27) so I knew our style of dress would probably be different than the majority. I wore a charcoal suit and a grey suit (two formal nights). I don't own a tux, and I don't rent one for a cruise. The second suit was lighter than what was being worn in most places, but I never got any comments.

My wife, however, wore the same style of dress she usually does for these things (I suppose one would call it a cocktail dress, hangs 1-2" above the knee). When she walked out of the theater briefly (we were sitting at one of the "bar type" seats at the back), she was approached by a couple women that told her that her dress was "too short for an adults cruise."

Luckily, these pitiful individuals seemed to be in the minority, and we enjoyed the rest of our cruise. We also met some wonderful people along the way.

Wow! Sounds like these women were just jealous because they can't wear a short dress. Maybe your wife should have told them that she could always wear a longer dress, but they will never be able to have any class.