Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

as evidenced by formally dressed men and women with no discernible table manners:confused:

That is true, it does go both ways, but in my opinion good manners includes being able to comply with the expected norms.

You can dress well and have poor manners, no doubt about it.

What some people forget on these threads is that some people are extremely comfortable in themselves and really don't give a toss what anyone else thinks of them, I've been critisised at diner [by some table mates] for ordering fries with my diner, every night, but guess what I really don't care, however my host asks that on certain nights I dress to a certain standard, and because I was bought up with standards that require showing respect to my host I comply. When my host asks that I stop ordering fries I'll ether comply or find a different host.

Not necessarily. I came here to gather information. I didn't start this thread, nor did I comment on the beginning of the discussion. The funny thing is that I always dress for dinner. I dress up every night, but that's my choice, and as long as I follow the official dress code, I shouldn't be made to feel "trailer trash" because I am not wearing a prom dress and my husband is in a suit rather than a tux.

People often suggest the European cruises, particularly those ex Southampton, tend to be more dressy than elsewhere. Based on our summer cruise to the Med you will most certainly NOT feel out of place for not wearing a prom dress or if your husband chooses to wear a suit. On our trip, there weren't many ball gowns or what might be described as prom dresses at all, and i would guess that, whilst in the MDR everyone did appear to make an effort, the split between suits and tuxedos was roughly half and half.

I find the whole Tuxedo equalls sophistication and class thing quite strange. Yes 007 wore one but he's fictional; I'm not James Bond never will be and real spies look more like Columbo than Roger Moore. When I was young we didn't have prom nights where boys wore tuxedos and girls prom dresses, we had school discos (nor did we have trick or treat or Black Friday deals, but I digress). The only people who wore tuxedos were nightclub doormen, show biz impressarios at the Palladium, racist stand up comics, and well known gangsters in London Clubs. I've never seen a Tux at a funeral or my dad wear one for Christmas lunch. No friend has ever thrown a party and said "Formal dress", if they have I wasn't invited. So when do everyday people normally wear them - for the prize giving awards at the annual widget association dinner and dance.

I'd love to know the answer to the question, "what's the ratio between the number who threaten to stop cruising if they do away with formal nights and the number who are put off taking their first cruise because of how they perceive the dress restrictions". I suspect some of the cruise lines know the answer to this question.

Edited by DYKWIA

Unfortunately it appears that Celebrity fosters this debate. None of the other boards have this passionate debate. Maybe it is intentional to exclude a certain "class" of customers...who knows why it seems to be an issue, but I do know it has definitely made me dread our cruise rather than look forward to. I'm certain simply because of this I will only have this one Celebrity cruise.

I share your concerns. Last year, I cancelled a Celebrity cruise because of the comments I read in this forum. After some consideration, I've booked another Celebrity cruise having decided that I will not let, what I hope is, a very vocal minority of Celebrity cruisers deny me the opportunity to enjoy what I think is a very nice cruise line. I would hope you enjoy your cruise as well.

While I agree that some of the comments (telling others to do as they say or find another cruise line) can only be interpreted as designed to "exclude a certain 'class' of customers", it's my opinion that such posters are the minority.

I personally have decided not to let this minority keep me from enjoying a cruise line that appeals to me.

There will always be a percentage of people that try to buck a system. Once a behavior becomes the minority it's no longer the norm. I'm sure at some point dressing up for formal night will slip away but I would never let someone else ruin it for me. Unless it's a mIxer, we dress for ourselves so that's all I care about. There are ways to hint and make their "difference" known without being too rude. Just introduce yourself to them and then the couple next to them. Compliment how nice the people next to them look. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruisecat1965

With cruise lines now operating with ships that cater for nearly 5000 passengers and use incentives like free drink packages, On Board credit and pre paid gratuities to attract the masses I don't honestly think they take any credence of the twenty or so passengers who may complain that Joe Average isn't wearing a tie. Sure Cunard are a line that goes back to the twenties when there was first class when everyone dressed for dinner and steerage where some didn't eat much let alone dress for dinner. Times are a changing on cruise lines and they are becoming more informal just as air travel is not completely informal. Even business class passengers remove their ties if wearing a suit.

After just undertaking my very first cruise a couple of weeks ago I found that no one cares about me or what I dress like and I didn't care too much about my fellow passengers either except to consider that I didn't go out of my way to interfere with their holiday and no one tried to spoil mine.

If a cruise line got pedantic and stopped everyone who was not dressed to the nines ,to the letter of the policy they would quickly lose customers. The twenty or so who still live in a day long gone I think they could cope with.

Besides apart from putting on ones best clobber a formal night is no different than any other night in the MDR

Happy cruising

If a cruise line got pedantic and stopped everyone who was not dressed to the nines ,to the letter of the policy they would quickly lose customers.

Celebrity's formal night does not require "dressing to the 9's". For men, it simply means wearing a jacket, not even a tie is a requirement of their policy.

I wear a sport jacket out to the bars and restaurants at home for casual dining, so not sure why it's so hard for people to do it for a "formal" night

Only one source you need to take your guidance from concerning the MDR Evening Formal Wear. That’s Celebrity. Everyone else and their opinions on these forums or on the ship doesn’t count. The following guidelines are from Celebritys website.

Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

And, as cle-guy already pointed out, no tie is required for men. Nor were they worn after the first formal night by many of the guys on our December 4 departure on the Infinity.

Celebrity's formal night does not require "dressing to the 9's". For men, it simply means wearing a jacket, not even a tie is a requirement of their policy.

I wear a sport jacket out to the bars and restaurants at home for casual dining, so not sure why it's so hard for people to do it for a "formal" night

Though I always follow the "suggested" dress code many people read it as just that, "suggested" not required...and if people used your thought process probably many looking at your sports coat wonder since you brought a jacket anyway why its so hard for you to not wear a tuxedo?

Myself, I could care less what others wear on formal night especially outside of the MDR though I do appreciate having everyone looking nice at my table but if they don't it won't affect my evenings enjoyment nor the taste of my food...

I might have missed it, but in Celebrity's brochure which in about 150 pages features pictures of plenty of guests...

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/698111e6#/698111e6/144

spotted a few suits, a couple of ties, a few sports jackets and plenty of smart casual wear, but not one Tuxedo or Ball Gown

a lot of talk here about what our host wants or what our host expects. this might give a clue!

Hard as it may be to believe but whilst Celebrity may be grateful for your past business it seems that old folks in Tuxedos and Ball Gowns are perhaps not the image they want for their marketing purposes at the moment.

On this basis and to keep in line with the wishes of our host, it might be better and less off putting to those of us who dress as per Celebrity's clear marketing material that those in tuxedos and ball gowns move to slightly less formal attire :D

I don't make the above comment seriously, but when it is said that Tuxedo and ball gowns are what you should aim for etc etc, it may have been the case that was what was expected by our host a while back but it doesn't appear to be the case now.

I might have missed it, but in Celebrity's brochure which in about 150 pages features pictures of plenty of guests...

spotted a few suits, a couple of ties, a few sports jackets and plenty of smart casual wear, but not one Tuxedo or Ball Gown

a lot of talk here about what our host wants or what our host expects. this might give a clue!

Hard as it may be to believe but whilst Celebrity may be grateful for your past business it seems that old folks in Tuxedos and Ball Gowns are perhaps not the image they want for their marketing purposes at the moment.

On this basis and to keep in line with the wishes of our host, it might be better and less off putting to those of us who dress as per Celebrity's clear marketing material that those in tuxedos and ball gowns move to slightly less formal attire :D.

Good point, and well said! :thumbup:

Our group of 6 (Elite plus members) have always dressed for formal night and enjoyed the evening. However on a cruise earlier this year on the Silhouette (7 Nights from Fort Lauderdale) on the 2nd formal night the HOTEL director hosted the Captains table and included at the table were 2 gentlemen with slacks and open colar shirts...no jackets. I thought this must have been bad screening by the social hostess but I came to find out that the Hotel Director himself invited these 2 guys.

Why would I try to dress the part if in fact the Hotel Director, a senior officer on the ship, allows something like this to occur. To me what it showed was no respect for the passengers who tried to follow the formal dress code. I sent pictures of the formal table and corresponded with Celebrity's Florida HQ..their response is that they would send the email/pictures to the ship..never heard anything more!!

Bottom line... after this experience, formal night on Celebrity is a JOKE!!!!

We had a similar experience recently on Eclipse and when I submitted an Attention to Detail I was told the policy didn't require ties just jackets, and that these were "suites guests" implying rules didn't apply because of their status.

I reminded them that the policy didn't require shoes either, but some things are intuitively obvious. Recommended they eliminate the dress policy if they weren't going to enforce it.

Edited by Wg8221

On this basis and to keep in line with the wishes of our host, it might be better and less off putting to those of us who dress as per Celebrity's clear marketing material that those in tuxedos and ball gowns move to slightly less formal attire :D

I don't make the above comment seriously, but when it is said that Tuxedo and ball gowns are what you should aim for etc etc, it may have been the case that was what was expected by our host a while back but it doesn't appear to be the case now.

My question would be if you have ever been on a Celebrity cruise?

Celebrity has had the same dress code for formal nights for many years. It has not changed but the percentage of people wearing long gowns (not Ball Gowns) and tuxes has declined. Still, I see quite a few on the cruises we take. We do about four a year and they are seldom to the Caribbean. There are usually a large percentage of suits with ties and some sport coats which really are not even part of the Celebrity formal dress code. If a man is wearing a tux, suit or dinner jacket, which is what the dress code includes, it would almost always be accompanied with a tie. Just common sense.

We all know, there is a small percentage of people who do other than what is requested but the truth is still that the great majority of people dress in the spirit of formal night. If they are going to do away with the dress code for formal nights I guess they can also do away with the nicer menus they provide on these evenings. After all, if people don't want a special evening, why should they try to provide one?

[COLOR="Navy"]"We all know, there is a small percentage of people who do other than what is requested but the truth is still that the great majority of people dress in the spirit of formal night. If they are going to do away with the dress code for formal nights I guess they can also do away with the nicer menus they provide on these evenings. After all, if people don't want a special evening, why should they try to provide one?" [/color

]We have just come of a "Celebrity" ship and apart from the third formal night where overcooked lobster, beef Wellington and duck was served the menus were nothing special on formal nights compared with other nights. The served the standard offerings on the left hand page and one nighters on the right hand page.

I question the need for "formal nights" at all especially the number of them. If the formal night is to be special then perhaps they should be reduced to only one per cruise - the last sea night.

Edited by Beanb41

I don't think that Celebrity anywhere has ever said we are aiming for Tux's and ball gowns, otherwise they wouldn't put alternative's and they would enforce it which they don't.

[COLOR="Navy"]"We all know, there is a small percentage of people who do other than what is requested but the truth is still that the great majority of people dress in the spirit of formal night. If they are going to do away with the dress code for formal nights I guess they can also do away with the nicer menus they provide on these evenings. After all, if people don't want a special evening, why should they try to provide one?" [/color

]We have just come of a "Celebrity" ship and apart from the third formal night where overcooked lobster, beef Wellington and duck was served the menus were nothing special on formal nights compared with other nights. The served the standard offerings on the left hand page and one nighters on the right hand page.

I question the need for "formal nights" at all especially the number of them. If the formal night is to be special then perhaps they should be reduced to only one per cruise - the last sea night.

Your attendance is not required in the main dining room. You have other choices where formal wear is not requested and since you don't consider it anything special it should be easy to try another option on those evenings.

Your attendance is not required in the main dining room. You have other choices where formal wear is not requested and since you don't consider it anything special it should be easy to try another option on those evenings.

We dress appropriately for the MDR. However, I do not agree that Celebrity offers other equitable alternatives.

Self service in the buffet is not the same as sitting down to a multi course dinner that is served by two waiters and a sommelier. Nor ius the food quality (taste) remotely comparable.

Other venues that have comparable food quality AND full service cost additional money. Again, that's not an equitable option.

Celebrity is not alone in this practice, but other cruise lines ARE becoming more casual. As evidenced by our cruise in December 2014 - where we were told by the maitre de that men were not required to wear ties in the MDR on formal night - Celebrity is going that route as well.

I believe this move is a requirement to ensure that younger people will book. Tuxedos and long gowns are a thing of the past.

We dress appropriately for the MDR. However, I do not agree that Celebrity offers other equitable alternatives.

Self service in the buffet is not the same as sitting down to a multi course dinner that is served by two waiters and a sommelier. Nor ius the food quality (taste) remotely comparable.

Other venues that have comparable food quality AND full service cost additional money. Again, that's not an equitable option.

Celebrity is not alone in this practice, but other cruise lines ARE becoming more casual. As evidenced by our cruise in December 2014 - where we were told by the maitre de that men were not required to wear ties in the MDR on formal night - Celebrity is going that route as well.

I believe this move is a requirement to ensure that younger people will book. Tuxedos and long gowns are a thing of the past.

Maybe and maybe not. Just remember that young people eventually become old people if they're lucky and they seem to be the ones with the time and money to cruise regularly.

I happen to know lots of young people who enjoy getting dressed up for a change from their everyday lives and they certainly wouldn't not book a cruise because there are formal nights, especially since they don't have to attend. It's really almost unbelievable to think it's that objectionable for a guy to put on a jacket and even a tie. It must be absolutely horrific.

It's all perfectly equitable, if you want the formal night experience you just have to put on a jacket and hopefully a tie. The whole objection seems just a bit silly to me. They will even serve the formal night meal in your cabin if it's just too much to ask. It seems that some people don't want any choices available for people who actually enjoy formal nights.

Edited by Ma Bell

Maybe and maybe not. Just remember that young people eventually become old people if they're lucky and they seem to be the ones with the time and money to cruise regularly.

I happen to know lots of young people who enjoy getting dressed up for a change from their everyday lives and they certainly wouldn't not book a cruise because there are formal nights, especially since they don't have to attend. It's really almost unbelievable to think it's that objectionable for a guy to put on a jacket and even a tie. It must be absolutely horrific.

It's all perfectly equitable, if you want the formal night experience you just have to put on a jacket and hopefully a tie. The whole objection seems just a bit silly to me. They will even serve the formal night meal in your cabin if it's just too much to ask. It seems that some people don't want any choices available for people who actually enjoy formal nights.

If the above comments rang true cruising would still have all males in tuxes, women in long dresses, three quarter gloves and tiaras. These dress codes are of a day gone by thank god. What was once the acceptable formal dress is now by evolution becoming less formal.

One wonders why when one pays so much extra for specialty restaurants the cruise lines don't have formal dress after all its about experiences isn't it.

The cruise lines are about making money catering for the mass market not the bigoted minority.

We are off in 6 weeks and wont be bringing a tie. If we are on the same cruise and run into each other and my lack of a tie offends somebody then so be it.

I will there to enjoy myself and as someone has said earlier "Don't worry too much about what may or may not offend your fellow passengers, the chances are you will never ever see them again."

. It's really almost unbelievable to think it's that objectionable for a guy to put on a jacket and even a tie. It must be absolutely horrific.

It's all perfectly equitable, if you want the formal night experience you just have to put on a jacket and hopefully a tie. The whole objection seems just a bit silly to me..

This illustrates my point, a tie is not currently required by Celebrity nor do they they say anywhere they hope you will wear one. You may think it weird that a man would want to wear a suit or jacket without a tie but I assure you in 2014/15 it is not and certainly no less weird than people wanting to dress like a 1970s stand up comic, someone from an episode of Downton Abbey or from an era when the Love Boat last set sail.

I have no problem with wearing formal attire and actually did so. I do this because that is what is expected of me by Celebrity and I respect what they ask me to do and don't set out to break or ignore rules. However, I'm not going to eat in the buffet or in my cabin to make it a better holiday for you because you want a higher standard.

I happen to know lots of young people who enjoy getting dressed up for a change from their everyday lives and they certainly wouldn't not book a cruise because there are formal nights, .....

So why have Celebrity chosen to relax the dress code for Formal Nights in recent years? Perhaps they have more robust evidence that it is putting off to the people they want to book.

Edited by DYKWIA

I already stated that we comply with the requirements of formal night. But eating in our cabin is not equitable either. It's crowded, we don't have a proper table and again, no service.

Hey - why don't the cruise lines require formal attire in the "special" restaurants? Wouldn't that make them even more special? Sounds good to me, but it won't happen. It would make them empty which would cost the cruise lines money.

Younger workers do not generally wear suits to work anymore. Most don't wear ties. Friday's have gone casual in most workplaces. Outfits we used to wear to the gym (leggings, bicycle shorts, sweatshirts,etc) are now common every day wear at the mall, bars and casual restaurants. Like it or not, the tuxedo long gown days are gone. And every cruise line, including Celebrity is loosening the dress code.

Clearly evidenced by the no tie for men requirement on formal night.

Edited to add: DYKWIA, you said it well in both your posts.

Edited by jkgourmet

This illustrates my point, a tie is not currently required by Celebrity nor do they they say anywhere they hope you will wear one. You may think it weird that a man would want to wear a suit or jacket without a tie but I assure you in 2014/15 it is not and certainly no less weird than people wanting to dress like a 1970s stand up comic, someone from an episode of Downton Abbey or from an era when the Love Boat last set sail.

I have no problem with wearing formal attire and actually did so. I do this because that is what is expected of me by Celebrity and I respect what they ask me to do and don't set out to break or ignore rules. However, I'm not going to eat in the buffet or in my cabin to make it a better holiday for you because you want a higher standard.

Look, it isn't my dress code, it's Celebrity's. It has nothing at all to do with what "I" want. In fact that's the whole point. Sometimes I don't care to dress up either but when that happens I just make another choice. Your descriptions of people who do dress formally are are ridiculous. Of course I don't think it's weird that men wear jackets without ties or even suits without ties. They can wear what they want and see if they will be admitted or not. I personally don't care if you wear a lampshade on your head, it's not going to affect me, but I do care that people at least get correct information before they go on their cruise and then they can decide what they want to do.

Let's not get nit picky and just use some common sense. Just try reading what Celebrity does say. They don't say sport jackets are acceptable for formal nights but we all know they are worn. They don't mention ties being necessary in their description because anyone who knows what a tux or dinner jacket is knows they are almost always worn with ties or the button which is completely out of style. Someone better tell the people who actually go to formal occasions that they are looking out of style because it certainly isn't obvious when you go to one.

What's really interesting to me is that this is what you posted just a few days ago which is just about exactly what I've been saying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Formal nights on the Eclipse this summer ( ex UK) were very well attended and I don't recall seeing anyone not in the required dress. We would personally prefer not to have to dress up formally but if that is what they ask for then we'll fall in line. Even on non formal nights i like to think my wife and I make a small effort to appear reasonably presentable to our dining companions.

Maybe the situation is slightly different in Eurooe. I notice that Cunard and P&O both maintain much stricter dress codes. Perhaps too strict for us. I don't want to have to wear a jacket every night and a tie most nights. It will be interesting to see what happens with the dress codes on these ships in the future. I think P&O has different rules for different ships now.

Every line now seems to accept dark suit as an alternative to dinner suit / tuxedo - when did that change? It must have changed for a reason. Rule breaking aside, which I personally don't agree with, the gradual relaxation of the stated dress requirements must be happening for a reason - Perhaps it is off putting to a lot of potential clients who will in time become future loyal elite plusses. You can bemoan the fact that you think Celebrity is letting a lot of "the wrong sorts" on board (I'm horrified when I read views like this) but If Celebrity think these people will still be renting cabins and buying martinis in 30 years time that's what matters you can't blame them from trying to get them on board.

As for the "it's my holiday I'll do whatever I like"mind set, enjoy your holiday but you should, in my opinion , respect others. I think it was Steve Martin who said, when asked " do you mind if I smoke?", replied " do you mind if I fart?". Hopefully, people who feel the need to enjoy their holiday their way unhindered by other peoples standards don't feel the need for either of these in the MDR! "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me you are arguing with yourself.

Edited by Ma Bell

I already stated that we comply with the requirements of formal night. But eating in our cabin is not equitable either. It's crowded, we don't have a proper table and again, no service.

Hey - why don't the cruise lines require formal attire in the "special" restaurants? Wouldn't that make them even more special? Sounds good to me, but it won't happen. It would make them empty which would cost the cruise lines money.

Younger workers do not generally wear suits to work anymore. Most don't wear ties. Friday's have gone casual in most workplaces. Outfits we used to wear to the gym (leggings, bicycle shorts, sweatshirts,etc) are now common every day wear at the mall, bars and casual restaurants. Like it or not, the tuxedo long gown days are gone. And every cruise line, including Celebrity is loosening the dress code.

Clearly evidenced by the no tie for men requirement on formal night.

Edited to add: DYKWIA, you said it well in both your posts.

Can you point out to me where it say that no tie is requested? Again, I don't care if someone wears one or not, The dress codes also say nothing about shirts shoes and socks being required on formal nights. According the way it's written all you need to wear is your dinner jacket and slacks. Most adults know exactly what that means and don't try to interpret things for their convenience.