Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

This thread makes me think of the song "Don't Worry be Happy." lol

Right from Celebrity Cruises website:

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

G'day handy4u

Not real hard is it:

Not hard to know what's expected

Not hard to comply with

Not hard to eat elsewhere if you don't want to comply

Not hard to stay home or go with another line if you don't like it

But paid for my vacation and I paid for it, so I'll go anywhere I please dressed how I please, budgie smugglers, bare feet and no shirt for me on formal night.

G'day handy4u

Not real hard is it:

Not hard to know what's expected

Not hard to comply with

Not hard to eat elsewhere if you don't want to comply

Not hard to stay home or go with another line if you don't like it

But paid for my vacation and I paid for it, so I'll go anywhere I please dressed how I please, budgie smugglers, bare feet and no shirt for me on formal night.

Six pack required.

My newly-wed wife and I are travelling for an extended duration and are doing our first cruise about 10 months into our travels.

The cruise is going to be the honeymoon component of our trip after having just gotten married in Costa Rica and we are finding it amusing that even our wedding atire does not meet the requirements to eat some nights (no tie/dinner jacket).

We will be buying formal wear in the port before our cruise before we launch and will post it home once the cruise is over - although we had assumed the formal nights would be optional or for the specialty restaurants only.

/shrug

After having just spent the last few months in Asian and South American cultures it seems a little amusing how many people seem upset that others may be enjoying their dinner 'incorrectly'.

Attending formal nights is optional just as attending specialty nights is optional (at a cost). I wouldn't go overboard in purchasing clothes for the formal nights. A jacket is all that is required for men and women as usual can get away with almost anything. Just add a bit of extra bling for formal night and you will both be fine. Hope your extended "honeymoon" is going great

Please reread Andy's post. It includes the actual stated policy issued by Celebrity. See the Celebrity statement: http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready#before_you_go_getting_ready/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready%3Fsubtab=true

Also, this is from an article on Cruise Critic:

Celebrity Cruises

aysdresscode3.jpgThe Code: Celebrity's Web site states that you'll need two types of evening clothes for a cruise. Most nights are "Smart Casual and Above," meaning a sport shirt and slacks for men, while women will be comfortable in a skirt or pants and blouse, or casual dress. On "Formal" nights, both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Number of Formal Nights: Cruises of four to six nights have one formal night; seven- to 11-night cruises have two, and 12 or more nights have three.

Nightly Casual Option: Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the International Marketplace, outdoor grill, the Aquaspa Cafe and Cafe al Bacio & Gelateria.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, tank tops, caps and poolwear are not allowed in the main or specialty restaurants. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours. As long as jeans don't have holes, rips or tears, they are permitted on "Smart Casual and Above" nights.

I haven't cruised since 2007 but I'm looking forward to our January cruise on the Reflection. Are they wearing jeans now? I don't recall seeing that in the past but my friend would like to wear jeans on day of embarkation and our trip back to the airport.

What do ya' think???

As far as this looks jeans are fine anytime as long as they don't have holes....also if you notice on the "formal night" it states "MAY prefer more dressy attire" so for those saying we should dress as the host requests....according to this jeans without holes, rips, or tears are appropriate anytime.

That was from a Cruise Critic article, not from Celebrity's official dress code. Don't read it as gospel.

Jeans are common everywhere EXCEPT the MDR on Formal nights. Realistically though you are not going to be refused entry (or even noticed) if you are wearing a decent pair of dark-coloured jeans.

Edited by gek

As far as this looks jeans are fine anytime as long as they don't have holes....also if you notice on the "formal night" it states "MAY prefer more dressy attire" so for those saying we should dress as the host requests....according to this jeans without holes, rips, or tears are appropriate anytime.

Jeans are NOT acceptable in any dining room at night on any Celebrity ship.Plenty of pax were turned away for improper dress on the Eclipse. At least on this ship it seems the dresscodes are pretty well enforced.

Jeans are NOT acceptable in any dining room at night on any Celebrity ship.Plenty of pax were turned away for improper dress on the Eclipse. At least on this ship it seems the dresscodes are pretty well enforced.

Sorry. You're dead wrong. And MA Bell has that from the horses mouth. They're fine at night except formal night.

Hello,

Actually…what your post should say is….Jeans (no holes, rips or tears) ARE acceptable in every dining room/venue on every Celebrity ship, except (perhaps) in the Main Dining Room (MDR) on specified "formal" nights. Please try to provide somewhat accurate information for folks reading these threads.

Thank You.

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

Jeans are in fact acceptable in the MDR and all other venues. Technically, I think they even pass for formal night so long as a man is wearing a jacket with them.

Jeans are in fact acceptable in the MDR and all other venues. Technically, I think they even pass for formal night so long as a man is wearing a jacket with them.

From a purely literal interpretation of Celebrity's published dress code jeans are always fine. They are just cotton twill trousers after all.

However it all depends on who is on the door - turn up in a pair of faded old blue jeans and you may be refused entry. Wear a pair of tidy, dark coloured jeans and you probably won't have any problems so long as you are wearing a decent jacket.

We can argue forever about whether jeans are "appropriate" but this is the reality.

Personally I'll just wear my jeans and avoid formal nights altogether until Celebrity change their outdated policy of dictating to people what they should wear.

Edited by gek

From a purely literal interpretation of Celebrity's published dress code jeans are always fine. They are just cotton twill trousers after all.

However it all depends on who is on the door - turn up in a pair of faded old blue jeans and you may be refused entry. Wear a pair of tidy, dark coloured jeans and you probably won't have any problems so long as you are wearing a decent jacket.

We can argue forever about whether jeans are "appropriate" but this is the reality.

Personally I'll just wear my jeans and avoid formal nights altogether until Celebrity change their outdated policy of dictating to people what they should wear.

I'm fairly new to cruising.

So, why is Celebrity's Dress Code an outdated policy? :confused:

I'm fairly new to cruising.

So, why is Celebrity's Dress Code an outdated policy? :confused:

Any dress code that includes tuxes is outdated in my opinion.

Edited by gek

Celebrity posted a bunch of pictures a while back of Michael Bayley on the presidents cruise. Most pictures were taken in the evening and he was wearing dark wash jeans in most of them.

Technically, jeans and a jacket are smart casual attire, acceptable every night except formal night in the main dining room.

Yes, it's my opinion! Get a life! There were plenty of pax on the eclipse last year who were getting turned away for improper clothing. I can't comment on other Celebrity ships, but on the Eclipse, pax seemed to dress nicely & not look like a trailor trash jamboree.

You stated it as though it were a fact? What you want and what Celebrity require are two different things, get over it.

"get a life"? Who's assessing whose dress standards without any mandate to do so - you're on holiday?

"trailor trash" - there's that phrase again, nice, is this appropriate way to talk about fellow guess?

Edited by DYKWIA

Jeans were removed about five years ago from the prohibited list and they are absolutely acceptable in the MDR on smart casual nights. This hasn't been an issue for a couple of years now.

Sounds like Dynamic Dining. I've always argued that those who want the "Special" experience of a formal evening are the ones that should have to pay for it. Better still, no one should have to pay extra just because of the way they like to dress.

Not going to happen anytime soon, Celebrity is making too much money in Specialty restaurants from those who wish to dress smart casual.

Oh come on just wear what makes you comfortable what difference is it going to make to anyone else is it really going to ruin your dinner if I wear a pair of jeans to dinner will it make the food taste different maybe ruin the whole cruise? People need to lighten up and not worry so much what the other person is doing.:eek:

While I don't care what others wear, I do respect the rules and even more so I respect my elders. I realize it's a generational gap so it is what it is. Here's the way I look at it. I'm 49 and come from a background of only dressing up for special occasions like parties and other gatherings. On the other hand many people dress very well as a way of life. It's a week long party in my mind. Many people pick the upscale cruise lines specifically for the atmosphere. Dressing well for a week has no negative impact on me. On the other hand, not doing so can only diminish the experience for others looking for the glam or whatever. Who am I to be selfish enough to not care about others. If half the mdr was in jeans I would still feel I was doing the right thing. Just my own feelings on the matter.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruisecat1965

Greetings, experienced Celebrity cruisers. We have booked our first Celebrity cruise for summer 2015. We've been on three other cruise lines and managed to fit in pretty well with formal night dress expectations. Two questions: in your experience, is an Alaskan cruise more or less apt to be "formal" on formal nights? And second: do you notice a fall-off in MDR attendance on formal nights, with many opting to eat at specialty restaurants or elsewhere? Or do most people just show up in the MDR anyway? Thanks.