Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Define "ambiance".

Wouldn't the ambiance be better exemplified if everyone dressed uniformally?

(Not saying everyone formal or everyone casual, just everyone the same).

If I had wished to dress uniformly I would have joined the military or other similar services . I prefer to use my education to think for myself .

Whilst I always wear a dinner suit on formal nights I do not wear the same each time . My next cruise has 3 formal nights and I will have 3 different shirts, 3 different ties and 2 different dinner suits. No uniformity there [emoji41]

I do hope people who advocate uniformity do not wish this to apply on the rest of the Boat. On sea days the ambience can be affected by the sight of a large male parading around the deck in budgie smugglers. Surely we will not all be expected to wear them [emoji12]

I generally agree that formal nights should go the way of the dodo, but this quoted train of thought ignores the instances in which someone shows up to your table not dressed properly. That makes it harder to ignore. And if you're 2 of 8 sitting there in a tux and gown while others are there in jeans and t-shirts, even more awkward. It's not unreasonable to expect people to follow the posted dress code to maintain the formal atmosphere of the evening.

And ambiance and ambience are different spellings of the same word. The person who insists otherwise is just being a contrarian.

You make some good points. An often over-looked aspect of the dress code is the avoidance of situations such as those you described. One should never be embarrassed if one adheres to the dress code.

Some of the more upscale lines have nights they designate as formal optional. HAL has their new "Gala Night" on which coat and tie are preferred but smart casual is acceptable. When such a dress code is adopted, then there is no reason to be embarrassed by being more dressy than your table mates and no reason for them to be embarrassed if they are less dressy. As long as all do adhere to the code of course.

BTW, I do advocate the end of formal nights as we know them but until that happens, I also advocate the strict enforcement of whatever dress code is in place. That pretty much does away with the claims that ending formal nights will result in baseball caps, speedos, and flip flops in the MDR.

I do think some people take their 'being offended' way too far. On our last cruise, I contracted some dreadful headcold virus (as did half the ship). For much of the cruise I was dragging myself around trying to enjoy myself when I felt like simply staying in bed and sleeping. My OH, although not as bad as me, was not on top form either. One evening, we ate a light meal in the buffet and went into the bar. I barely knew what day it was and had no idea it was a formal night until I saw lots of folk dressed up walking through the bar. Given my circumstances, was dressed comfortably (not sandals and shorts). If looks could kill, I would quickly have been dead and buried by the looks I was given by those dressed formally. I went nowhere near the MDR, but those people made me feel so uncomfortable when I already felt bad, that I just went back to our stateroom.

If its not the MDR, then really, give people a break. You have no idea what is going on for others. They may be dealing with all kinds of s**t and its their holiday too.

I do think some people take their 'being offended' way too far. On our last cruise, I contracted some dreadful headcold virus (as did half the ship). For much of the cruise I was dragging myself around trying to enjoy myself when I felt like simply staying in bed and sleeping. My OH, although not as bad as me, was not on top form either. One evening, we ate a light meal in the buffet and went into the bar. I barely knew what day it was and had no idea it was a formal night until I saw lots of folk dressed up walking through the bar. Given my circumstances, was dressed comfortably (not sandals and shorts). If looks could kill, I would quickly have been dead and buried by the looks I was given by those dressed formally. I went nowhere near the MDR, but those people made me feel so uncomfortable when I already felt bad, that I just went back to our stateroom.

If its not the MDR, then really, give people a break. You have no idea what is going on for others. They may be dealing with all kinds of s**t and its their holiday too.

Is it possible that the "looks" had to do with your illness, not your dress? I might glare at someone on a cruise that I felt was spreading an illness.

Sorry to hear that first you experienced such an illness on a cruise... I had a couple of days on a previous cruise and also just wanted to stay in bed! [emoji20]

Secondly really sorry to hear of the judging eyes from the dress police that seem to think everyone should dress like them and if not should stay out of their sight as you might turn their food sour... [emoji57]

As you rightly said you didn't eat in the MDR so you were dressed appropriately for YOUR choice of evening and you should never have been made to feel uncomfortable by others that clearly don't know what's going on...

Unfortunately this does happen... I've had personal experience of this when we've chosen to eat in the buffet but wanted to have a few martinis before hand... And was getting looks as to say we didn't deserve to be in the martini bar dressed casual taking up seats when they had to stand... [emoji16]

Part of me would have loved someone to come and say something as despite what some on here might think about me I really don't have a problem telling people to their face what I think of them or their views... [emoji23]

Lastly let's hope you don't experience either the illness or the looks again on a future cruise... [emoji4]

Is it possible that the "looks" had to do with your illness, not your dress? I might glare at someone on a cruise that I felt was spreading an illness.

I know what my buck would be on if I had to place a bet... & it wouldn't be the illness! Unfortunately celebrity like others I guess have their fair share of dress code police...[emoji15]

I know what my buck would be on if I had to place a bet... & it wouldn't be the illness! Unfortunately celebrity like others I guess have their fair share of dress code police...[emoji15]

You're probably right. I dress up on formal night so I haven't seen the "looks" but that doesn't mean they're not there.

What about people who do dress up, but later. When the early diners are drinking in their "finery", the later ones are drinking (or doing whatever else) in their very casual daywear.

And on the other side of the coin, when we are extremely casual (bathing suit, cover-ups, shorts, whatever, and the early diners come around the sporty areas (eg pool area) all dressed up, don't they look out of place?

Who cares?

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I was past that stage, not sneezing or caughing, just exhausted and run down, And no they were definitely the looking up and down 'is that what you are wearing' looks!

Sorry to hear that first you experienced such an illness on a cruise... I had a couple of days on a previous cruise and also just wanted to stay in bed! [emoji20]

Secondly really sorry to hear of the judging eyes from the dress police that seem to think everyone should dress like them and if not should stay out of their sight as you might turn their food sour... [emoji57]

As you rightly said you didn't eat in the MDR so you were dressed appropriately for YOUR choice of evening and you should never have been made to feel uncomfortable by others that clearly don't know what's going on...

Unfortunately this does happen... I've had personal experience of this when we've chosen to eat in the buffet but wanted to have a few martinis before hand... And was getting looks as to say we didn't deserve to be in the martini bar dressed casual taking up seats when they had to stand... [emoji16]

Part of me would have loved someone to come and say something as despite what some on here might think about me I really don't have a problem telling people to their face what I think of them or their views... [emoji23]

Lastly let's hope you don't experience either the illness or the looks again on a future cruise... [emoji4]

Thank you for your kind reply Mr T (kindness being in short supply on dress code threads ). I (and my OH actually enjoy getting dressed up on formal nights. It was an interesting learning experience being on the receiving end of the 'dress code Police'! Edited by Priya2

What about people who do dress up' date=' but later. When the early diners are drinking in their "finery", the later ones are drinking (or doing whatever else) in their very casual daywear.

And on the other side of the coin, when we are extremely casual (bathing suit, cover-ups, shorts, whatever, and the early diners come around the sporty areas (eg pool area) all dressed up, don't they look out of place?

Who cares?[/quote']

Exactly... But unfortunately some do!

I could understand if the dress code was ship wide but it isn't so really there's no way of knowing the full circumstances why some are dressed up and some aren't!

Maybe the real dress code police should cruise with p&o or Cunard as on these ships the current dress code does apply to 95% of the public areas...

Thank you for your kind reply Mr T (kindness being in short supply on dress code threads ). I (and my OH actually enjoy getting dressed up on formal nights. It was an interesting learning experience being on the receiving end of the 'dress code Police'!

Your more then welcome [emoji4]

Too often on these threads (especially the dress code ones) people get jumped on and that's just not right...

Have an opinion and that's fine but people need to let others have theirs...

I quite often get accused on here of just posting to mix up trouble but more often then not I just feel I need to speak up for people that IMHO feel are being treated wrongly! [emoji33]

Thank you for your kind reply Mr T (kindness being in short supply on dress code threads ). I (and my OH actually enjoy getting dressed up on formal nights. It was an interesting learning experience being on the receiving end of the 'dress code Police'!

I'm curious. Does OH stand for OLD HUSBAND?

Sorry for being off of thee topic.

Your more then welcome [emoji4]

Too often on these threads (especially the dress code ones) people get jumped on and that's just not right...

Have an opinion and that's fine but people need to let others have theirs...

I quite often get accused on here of just posting to mix up trouble but more often then not I just feel I need to speak up for people that IMHO feel are being treated wrongly! [emoji33]

it is incredible that posters can accuse an Arsenal Supporter of rabble rousing [emoji33]

live and let live, follow the general sense of dress codes and we will all get on great.

But do NOT under any circumstances fall foul of the tipping militia. There can be no defence or help for those that dare to challenge the rationale of the tipping brigade. Any nonsensical talk of of tax dodging cannot be tolerated . MR_T please help [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Edited by LA_Design

buck ???

agree with the rest though. Celebrity would appear to have dual code police - dress code and tipping avoidance [emoji33]

Over the years there have been many nasty comments made by those who like to dress up against those who do not. My husband and I are retired and live in a small town where dressing up is almost non-existent. We prefer casual dress or dressy casual and will be avoiding the main dining room on formal nights when we cruise in February. I don't care what people wear to dinner, as long as it's not a bathing suit, but hate the hastle of dealing with the dress police.

The dress code for Blu is always casual? Correct, so why do these cruiser's need to dress formal on formal night?

They don't unless they wish to. Blu is smart casual every evening as are all the specialty restaurants. The MDR is the only place where Celebrity's formal dress code is mandatory.

If I had wished to dress uniformly I would have joined the military or other similar services . I prefer to use my education to think for myself .

Whilst I always wear a dinner suit on formal nights I do not wear the same each time . My next cruise has 3 formal nights and I will have 3 different shirts, 3 different ties and 2 different dinner suits. No uniformity there [emoji41]

I do hope people who advocate uniformity do not wish this to apply on the rest of the Boat. On sea days the ambience can be affected by the sight of a large male parading around the deck in budgie smugglers. Surely we will not all be expected to wear them [emoji12]

I guess I didn't explain what I was trying to say very well.

I didn't intend to use the term uniformly to mean everyone dressing like they were attending a parochial school. I meant style in general. If a person is trying to maintain a certain ambience, then (IMO) everyone should be wearing the same style of attire (not all exactly the same - i.e. military).

If the desired style for the evening is formal and 75% - 80% wear tuxedos/gowns and the remaining 20% - 25% wear jeans and t-shirts, the ambience "in general" is lost. The same goes for casual, if the majority wore nice slacks, polo shirt or shirt and maybe sport coat (no tie) and the rest wore tails and top hat, the ambience is once again somewhat out of kilter.

The dress code for Blu is always casual? Correct, so why do these cruiser's need to dress formal on formal night?

A couple of reasons.

First, there are those who think that having a mixture of dress styles, formal and casual, throughout the ship on formal nights, detracts from the ambiance. Some cruisers prefer a system where the code extends to all public areas with the possible exclusion of the buffet.

Second, there are some cruisers that are disappointed when they learn that Blu and Luminae, the more upscale dining areas, do not celebrate formal nights.

If the desired style for the evening is formal and 75% - 80% wear tuxedos/gowns and the remaining 20% - 25% wear jeans and t-shirts, the ambience "in general" is lost. The same goes for casual, if the majority wore nice slacks, polo shirt or shirt and maybe sport coat (no tie) and the rest wore tails and top hat, the ambience is once again somewhat out of kilter.

You bring up a major issue I have with formal nights. As you point out, a uniformity of styles may preserve the ambiance for some cruisers. But, this preservation comes at the expense of others, the 20% who are not that impressed with ambiance, and who prefer a different style. Why should the preferences of one group override the preferences of the other?

A couple of points.

First, this is not a question of adhering to the rules or who can set the rules. It is a question about is it proper to impose a set of rules on one group in order to enhance the enjoyment of another group?

Second, t-shirts are not acceptable attire for the MDR on any occasion.