Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I must have missed something. I didn't see jeans mentioned anywhere. I only see were Celebrity says smart casual and above : Pants.

Well, we can all agree Celebrity gets final say.

Celebrity used to have jeans on their web site as a banned item in the dining room. About five years ago it was removed from the website and all other materials.

Edited by dkjretired

I must have missed something. I didn't see jeans mentioned anywhere. I only see were Celebrity says smart casual and above : Pants.

Well, we can all agree Celebrity gets final say.

I'm sorry you misunderstood. I was replying to post directly above mine where the person said that they personally believe jeans should never be allowed in the dining room ever. I agree, they are against dress code on formal nights, but not other nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you misunderstood. I was replying to post directly above mine where the person said that they personally believe jeans should never be allowed in the dining room ever. I agree, they are against dress code on formal nights, but not other nights.

Thanks thought I'd miss something. :)

I love dressing up for dinner so I'm not limiting dressing up to just Formal Nights. Though I will probably reserve the full length gowns for formal evenings (then again maybe not). :D

Looking at posts in the Show Us Your Sunday Best thread inspired me to bring something floor length along with cocktail dresses.

I might even head into the salon for an updo on formal nights.

Dressing up for dinner and the show will be so much fun. I can't wait!

My DH and I are considering our first Celebrity Cruise. He's a jeans and t kind of guy. So we'll be doing some shopping lol.

I don't really have any formal dresses. Trying to figure out what I'll wear if we do book! I have a lot of Sunday church type dresses and summer dresses.

What does DH plan to wear on Formal Nights?

On Formal Nights do you plan to have dinner in the MDR?

I'm sure we'll want to try some of the other dining options. But I'd like to try at least one of the formal nights. He does have a couple suits from weddings in the past.

We love formal nights. If other people don't want to dress up, what's it to us. Why doesn't everyone do what they want and JUST ENJOY THEMSELVES.

Possibly the best dress code post ever on cc. Exactly my feelings. Smiles for make a great cruise not clothes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Possibly the best dress code post ever on cc. Exactly my feelings. Smiles for make a great cruise not clothes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

where is the CC like button [emoji41]

What next ? Who knows. Perhaps people will realise that smiling at staff and generally treating them well is more important than trying to bribe them with tips [emoji33]

Edited by LA_Design

Wonderful post. Too bad there are those who believe the 'ambiance' of formal night can be ruined by how others dress.

In my opinion, dressing casually in the MDR on formal night is like someone signing along with the performers in the theater. You shouldn't let it bother you, but it always does.

In my opinion, dressing casually in the MDR on formal night is like someone signing along with the performers in the theater. You shouldn't let it bother you, but it always does.

Sorry but that isn't the same at all... Someone not wearing formal wear doesn't make your lobster taste any different... [emoji57] someone singing along does affect you listening to what you went in for..

There is a very big difference. You cannot refuse to listen to their singing and as long as they sing, you will hear them. However, you can refuse to to let how others are dressed bother you. Once they have walked past you to their table, you have a choice to make. You can continue to think about how they are dressed and let it ruin your experience or you can refuse to let their dress bother you. There is a difference in the situations.

Wonderful post. Too bad there are those who believe the 'ambiance' of formal night can be ruined by how others dress.

You're playing the same old broken record -- Yada, yada, yada. It's my cruise, and I'll wear what I want on Formal night, and it shouldn't affect your "ambiance." Well, it's not about you -- it's about the rules and decorum in the MDR on Formal Night, and people should have the common decency to abide by them.

Define "ambiance".

Wouldn't the ambiance be better exemplified if everyone dressed uniformally?

(Not saying everyone formal or everyone casual, just everyone the same).

Define "ambiance".

Wouldn't the ambiance be better exemplified if everyone dressed uniformally?

(Not saying everyone formal or everyone casual, just everyone the same).

No, I don't. But, then again, I believe that if "ambiance" is something that can be ruined by the mere sight of someone wearing blue jeans, then it is over-rated.

You're playing the same old broken record -- Yada, yada, yada. It's my cruise, and I'll wear what I want on Formal night, and it shouldn't affect your "ambiance." Well, it's not about you -- it's about the rules and decorum in the MDR on Formal Night, and people should have the common decency to abide by them.

No, I'm not playing that "old broken record". I'm saying that it is your cruise and it's your choice to allow your "ambience" to be ruined if someone does not dress as you wish. I'm also saying that cruisers should have the common decency to respect the choices made by others. It's not your cruise either afterall.

No, I'm not playing that "old broken record". I'm saying that it is your cruise and it's your choice to allow your "ambience" to be ruined if someone does not dress as you wish. I'm also saying that cruisers should have the common decency to respect the choices made by others. It's not your cruise either afterall.

In a nut shell, you are saying we should just respect everyone's decision to violate the Formal Night dress guidelines. OK. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wine-O

Ok I have finally caught on. Those who flaunt the rules have an "all about me attitude". So I can assume from the tone of the post and many other similar ones across all dress threads that those who abide by them do not exhibit the same traits.

Also apparent from similar threads is that it is not so much about the dress style that others prefer but more about their failure to abide by the hosts rules that offends many people.

Also coincidently those who prefer traditional dress styles are the ones who trot out "the all about me" and "just follow the rules" reasoning time after time.

Logically then I would think that if the traditionalists are not those "all about me, it's my cruise" types of people and the thing that upsets them the most is that people can't bother to "follow the rules" then those people would be the biggest advocates for the relaxation or total abandonment of those dress rules.

That way everyone can just relax, dress in their style of fashion and enjoy their cruise.

Sorry but I think the "follow the rules" argument is just a straw man that people use when trying to get others to conform with their own personal style choices. Particularly in a debate with another who was discussing how the dress of others does not affect the ambience.

In a nut shell, you are saying we should just respect everyone's decision to violate the Formal Night dress guidelines. OK. :rolleyes:

Unroll your eyes. I've never advocated anyone violating the sacred formal night dress guidelines.

I am advocating that it is time to do away with formal nights. The fact that each cruise line is becoming more lenient in their enforcement should tell you something about the popularity of formal nights.

More and more cruisers, particularly the more affluent cruisers, have little or no interest in formal nights. The majority of the more upscale cruise lines have no formal nights. The mainstream cruise lines with dedicated suites dining areas such as Luminae or Coastal Kitchens do not celebrate formal nights. If dressing for dinner was such a preferred experience wouldn't those travelling in suites or on premium lines insist on formal wear every evening?

The MDR is a big place and I think there is room for compromise between those who like to dress for dinner and those who do not. For example, Holland has done away with formal nights and instituted Gala Nights where coat and tie is preferred but smart casual is accepted.

I've read many posts recounting how gentlemen wear their jackets to the table on formal nights only to remove the jacket and drape it across the back of their chair. Evidently, one can measure the 'ambiance' in the MDR by counting the number of chairs with jackets hanging over the back. But count quickly. Evidently, 'ambiance' is a most fragile thing that can be completely dispelled by the sight of a baseball cap or a pair of jeans. :rolleyes:

Ok I have finally caught on. Those who flaunt the rules have an "all about me attitude". So I can assume from the tone of the post and many other similar ones across all dress threads that those who abide by them do not exhibit the same traits.

You got it. If you don't want to do what "I, I, I" want you to do, then you are a "me, me, me" type of person.

No, I don't. But, then again, I believe that if "ambiance" is something that can be ruined by the mere sight of someone wearing blue jeans, then it is over-rated.

I generally agree that formal nights should go the way of the dodo, but this quoted train of thought ignores the instances in which someone shows up to your table not dressed properly. That makes it harder to ignore. And if you're 2 of 8 sitting there in a tux and gown while others are there in jeans and t-shirts, even more awkward. It's not unreasonable to expect people to follow the posted dress code to maintain the formal atmosphere of the evening.

And ambiance and ambience are different spellings of the same word. The person who insists otherwise is just being a contrarian.