Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I guess this where the disconnect is. I highly doubt anybody wears flip flops and shorts on formal night. However, I can't figure out how a man in a polo shirt and dockers at a nearby vacation can possibly ruin your vacation.

The same could be said of a screaming toddler (as long as it's not you they're throwing the Cheerios at), the smell of sewage from a backed up pipe, a drunken and obnoxiously loud diner at the next table over, or any number of other things we all see on every cruise. Those don't inconvenience you, do they? You would never dare say something about them, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same could be said of a screaming toddler (as long as it's not you they're throwing the Cheerios at), the smell of sewage from a backed up pipe, a drunken and obnoxiously loud diner at the next table over, or any number of other things we all see on every cruise. Those don't inconvenience you, do they? You would never dare say something about them, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are suggesting that on formal night you should be equally upset by a guy sitting quietly in a polo shirt as you would by a loud drunk dressed in a tux?

The same could be said of a screaming toddler (as long as it's not you they're throwing the Cheerios at), the smell of sewage from a backed up pipe, a drunken and obnoxiously loud diner at the next table over, or any number of other things we all see on every cruise. Those don't inconvenience you, do they?
Obnoxiously loud things we can't avoid hearing most certainly do inconvenience us. Very much so. And many of us would absolutely dare to say something about them.

The same could be said of a screaming toddler (as long as it's not you they're throwing the Cheerios at), the smell of sewage from a backed up pipe, a drunken and obnoxiously loud diner at the next table over...

A toddler, drunk, and inanimate objective may not have much control over their behavior but sober adults certainly do and therefore resonsible for their actions (unlike the 3 example you cited). By dressing inappropriately isn't one really choosing NOT to be admitted?

Great, the Armani jeans will travel even if they are in the company of the polyester m&S wannabes

Armani also makes underwear and, like jeans, they would not be appropriate formal dinner wear (unless covered by a pair of pants or trousers). Having a designer name on something doesn't elevate it beyond what it is - jeans are jeans whether made by Armani or Levi Strauss.

I'm not certain what M&S polyester wannabes are but from the context of your comment will assume they are slacks which by virtue of being slacks would be more appropriate than Armani jeans. Also, I would never belittle one's clothes for being of a lower cost or quality (as I believe you did in your M&S wannabe comment) but rather would delight in their adding to the spirit of things.

I don't think celebrity should do away with a dress code because some passengers do not want to dress up on the 1 or 2 formal nights as there are alternative dining venues other than the MDR for those who do not wish to elevate their usual attire for the evening. The arguments basically seem childish and boil down to "I don't wanna! Wah!" So don't, eat elsewhere on the ship those nights.

For those wanting to eat in the MDR on Formal Nights it might be time to put on Big Boy pants. And I say this because it seems from this thread that overall it is men who are having a more difficult time complying with the dress code.

It is disrespectful to arrive to an occasion knowingly inappropriately dressed. The whole is equal to the sum of its parts and when you have a group of people trying to create a special ocassion than it is nothing but rude to not comply with their request and insist on being thrust into the mix. Such is the behavior of a saboteur.

On formal nights a special evening is being created and things like dress codes do matter. A great example of this would be Diner en Blanc -- its strict compliance policy to dress and conduct codes leads to some beautiful and unforgetable evenings being created.

Reading this thread is too infuriating for me because dressing up is one of the things I am most looking forward to on my cruise. Also, I don't think its fair to say do away with formal night as there is only 1 or 2 such evenings and the people that like to dress very casual get to do that all day long every day. If I want to have dinner with people in t-shirts, jeans, shorts and flip flops I would find a mall somewhere and eat in the food court.

Obviously, I am very much in favor of formal nights.

Edited by aquafemme
additin

Armani .... makes underwear and, like jeans, they would not be appropriate formal dinner wear (unless covered by a pair of pants or trousers). Having a designer name on something doesn't elevate it beyond what it is - jeans are jeans whether made by Armani or Levi Strauss.

I'm not certain what M&S polyester wannabes are but from the context of your comment will assume they are slacks which by virtue of being slacks would be more appropriate than Armani jeans. Also, I would never belittle one's clothes for being of a lower cost or quality (as I believe you did in your M&S wannabe comment) but rather would delight in their adding to the spirit of things.

I don't think celebrity should do away with a dress code because some passengers do not want to dress up on the 1 or 2 formal nights as there are alternative dining venues other than the MDR for those who do not wish to elevate their usual attire for the evening. The arguments basically seem childish and boil down to "I don't wanna! Wah!" So don't, eat elsewhere on the ship those nights.

For those wanting to eat in the MDR on Formal Nights it might be time to put on Big Boy pants. And I say this because it seems from this thread that overall it is men who are having a more difficult time complying with the dress code.

It is disrespectful to arrive to an occasion knowingly inappropriately dressed. The whole is equal to the sum of its parts and when you have a group of people trying to create a special ocassion than it is nothing but rude to not comply with their request and insist on being thrust into the mix. Such is the behavior of a saboteur.

On formal nights a special evening is being created and things like dress codes do matter. A great example of this would be Diner en Blanc -- its strict compliance policy to dress and conduct codes leads to some beautiful and unforgetable evenings being created.

Reading this thread is too infuriating for me because dressing up is one of the things I am most looking forward to on my cruise. Also, I don't think its fair to say do away with formal night as there is only 1 or 2 such evenings and the people that like to dress very casual get to do that all day long every day. If I want to have dinner with people in t-shirts, jeans, shorts and flip flops I would find a mall somewhere and eat in the food court.

Where's the 'Like' button? ;)

Increase-Facebook-Likes-300x200.jpg

A toddler, drunk, and inanimate objective may not have much control over their behavior but sober adults certainly do and therefore resonsible for their actions (unlike the 3 example you cited). By dressing inappropriately isn't one really choosing NOT to be admitted?

Armani also makes underwear and, like jeans, they would not be appropriate formal dinner wear (unless covered by a pair of pants or trousers). Having a designer name on something doesn't elevate it beyond what it is - jeans are jeans whether made by Armani or Levi Strauss.

So well said.I agree with you 100%.

Thank you and well said.

I agree with the overall thrust of your comment (wear what the cruise line asks you to wear), but all of this fury presupposes that all but 2 or 3 people are wearing cutoff shorts and tank tops. That is just not the case.

So you are suggesting that on formal night you should be equally upset by a guy sitting quietly in a polo shirt as you would by a loud drunk dressed in a tux?

Sure. Why not? They both paid for their cruise. Don't they both have equal right to flaunt the rules? Why is the hearing of an average person any different or more valuable than someone else's sense of aesthetics?

The point is hypocrisy. If you're going to allow some people to break some rules some of the time, you don't really get to be surprised when other people decide that rules that are okay for them to break are ones that you don't think are okay to be broken. Everyone will expect to not have to follow all rules, and will ignore those they don't agree with, regardless of your feelings about those rules.

Obnoxiously loud things we can't avoid hearing most certainly do inconvenience us. Very much so. And many of us would absolutely dare to say something about them.

Those who read my posts certainly know I would!

I don't know if this has been discussed before. In January in the southern Caribbean is a white dinner jacket with Tux pants okay. If I was Rick Blaine it would be OK but I am not. In the US white after Labor Day is a no no. But we will not be in the US. Discuss please.

I don't know if this has been discussed before. In January in the southern Caribbean is a white dinner jacket with Tux pants okay. If I was Rick Blaine it would be OK but I am not. In the US white after Labor Day is a no no. But we will not be in the US. Discuss please.

From the Black Tie Guide:

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in America during the summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties.

Go for it!!!

I think you'll look smashing! Enjoy.

We are staging / packing for our 9 night Pacific Coastal on Infinity. Will we be "Sent To The Buffet" for showing up in a nice pair of slacks, dress shirt, tie and sport coat in the MDR on the two formal nights? It is a summer warmer climate cruise after all... thoughts? We own Tuxes, but hate taking all the extras needed to wear them. (Special shoes, suspenders, bow tie, cummerbund, studs, cuff links...and the list goes on).

Pat (& Paul)

We are staging / packing for our 9 night Pacific Coastal on Infinity. Will we be "Sent To The Buffet" for showing up in a nice pair of slacks, dress shirt, tie and sport coat in the MDR on the two formal nights? It is a summer warmer climate cruise after all... thoughts? We own Tuxes, but hate taking all the extras needed to wear them. (Special shoes, suspenders, bow tie, cummerbund, studs, cuff links...and the list goes on).

Pat (& Paul)

No you will be fine! on our British Isle cruise, yes there were tuxes, but they were in the minority....those that did dress up were in suits.....1 fellow in BLU had on this very bright gold jacket...very unique,lol

I have seen people dressed in swim suits at the Captains Reception where smart casual was required. I have also seen people wearing Hawaiian shirts, slacks and sandals on formal nights. I don't believe Celebrity wants to create a scene by turning poorly dressed customers away.

Thanks so much for this sticky. We have booked a two week Caribbean cruise in February and my husband did not want to take a jacket. We are both in our 70s and carrying heavy suitcases is something neither of us enjoy. I had wondered about the dress code in the restaurants on formal nights and it was immediately clarified at the beginning. Smart Casual will be our style.

On our two week southern Caribbean in Feburary 2015, there were many white dinner jackets on the men. They looked wonderful! Also a few tuxes and many suits. We gals were pleasently surprised. Our DHs' thought we were nuts. they were dressed in suits. Everyone looked so niceand it certainly adds to the ambience IMHO.

Pat (& Paul)

Oh come on!! You both look dashing in your ICON! Humor aside wearing suits as you described will be fine. We pack our tuxes when cruising on Cunard & dress pretty much as you described when cruising on Celebrity. We do tend to wear vests with our suits on the formal nights & a sport coat & tie on smart casual nights.

Question - retired, casual husband no longer "does" formal or even suits. He would like to wear a nice corduroy sport coat on upcoming Alaska cruise formal nights. Is it allowed? Too tacky? Please advise.

I think the Alaska cruise is more casual than some. I wouldn't call a corduroy Sport Coat dressy, but it is compared to others in the MDR on our Alaska cruise, its extremely formal. We met a few American couples during the day and agreed to have dinner together in the evening. My OH wore a Tux and I wore my glad rags, the other guys wore respectively, a nylon type casual jacket, a black leather jacket and no jacket and a short sleeved shirt. It was out first cruise and we were a bit taken-aback!

Question - retired, casual husband no longer "does" formal or even suits. He would like to wear a nice corduroy sport coat on upcoming Alaska cruise formal nights. Is it allowed? Too tacky? Please advise.

Sports coat is fine, that is what most men will be in on an Alaska cruise.

Hi everyone

First post here for me so apologies if the question has already been answered.

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse in October and always enjoy the formal night dressing up, Am I correct in thinking an eleven night cruise would have three formal nights?

Thanks

There will be 2 Formal evening's on your 11 Night Cruise.