Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

The Caribbean is a laid back destination .... why pack clothing that does not fit the local unless the natives require it ! It would be like packing a Tommy Bahama shirt on an Alaskan cruise ! I understand a "Formal Night" on a Mediterranean or Transatlantic cruise. Otherwise , some cruises are just laid back. That being said you do what you have to do to appease the wife/girlfriend . It doesn't mean most men are over joyed. :) So to answer the question ... the least they have to dress up the better !

Not good advice, You are telling someone not to bring a jackets which may cause them to be denied entry to the Main dining room. As I said, not good advice at all. Have seen dress code enforced many times in Caribbean on Celebrity.

One has to remember that the end of cruise report is a significant deciding factor on staff future employment and no staff member wants adverse reporting.

On one occasion we did see a teenager wearing a baseball cap and graphic slogan T shirt on one formal night but a quiet word after dinner saw the cap disappear and a plain T shirt next formal night.

Hope that helps

That is exactly why I've started having a cordial discussion early in the cruise with the maitre d and letting them know that we appreciate the dress standards being enforced and will comment negatively on our end of cruise comment cards if they are not. If more would do this they might start realizing that there can be negative results for NOT enforcing the dress standards!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingofcool1947 View Post

Yes you can. On Formal Nights I saw gents in dressy Hawaiian shirts with a sport coats in the MDR. Once in, they took off their jackets. Unfortunately, no shorts or flip flops allowed at dinner.

There are any number of vacation experiences from rugged like camping to first class like five star hotels in major cities around the world. And of course cruising.

Each of these vacation choices carries with it a perquisite dress code. Appropriate dress can be functional like rain gear and boots for camping. It can also be site appropriate like what one would wear at a five star hotel in Paris.

Wearing the wrong clothing can be dangerous like too light clothes in a rugged mountain location.

The wrong attire for the setting also has a negative impact on oneself, fellow guests and the establishment.

By wearing shorts and flip flops to the evening meal on a fine cruise ship you demean yourself, your fellow guests and your host, the cruise ship. Worse is saying this is a disappointing thing.

Yea I know: it's my vacation, I paid for it and I'll wear whatever I damn well please, wherever I damn well please, and whenever I damn well please. If you, my fellow passengers or anyone else don't like it tough s...t.

Frankly, I kind of feel bad for you that you have so little regard for the accepted tenets of cruising.

In the end you'll do what you feel is right. Hope you make the right choices. If you are taking some tender feet on a camping trip, in Wyoming in October and one of your guests shows up in shorts and flip flops what would you say to him?

Edited by PoppyandNana
X

Quote:

In the end you'll do what you feel is right. Hope you make the right choices. If you are taking some tender feet on a camping trip, in Wyoming in October and one of your guests shows up in shorts and flip flops what would you say to him?

You would say "if you wear that you will probably die". Not really the same thing as an MDR dress code unless you start arming the fashion police with sniper rifles and give them a license to kill. :)

You would say "if you wear that you will probably die". Not really the same thing as an MDR dress code unless you start arming the fashion police with sniper rifles and give them a license to kill. :)

Of course it's not the same thing. I was making an analgeous commentary on societal norms.

This entire dress code issue is interesting in that it generates such passion on both sides of the aisle. From a personal perspective it annoys the hell out of me when a guy enters the MDR wearing gym type shorts, sleeveless tee shirt and a ball cap worn backwards. Why does this bother me so? Hard to say. Being in my late sixties I come from a time when adherence to a dress code was generally not a topic of concern. By the way, this occurred on our recent Bermuda cruise.

Ever see those pictures of men and women on a beach in 1920? The uniformity is astounding. Just imagine if a guy and his gal pal show up he in a speedo, she in a thong?

Ever see those pictures of men and women on a beach in 1920? The uniformity is astounding. Just imagine if a guy and his gal pal show up he in a speedo, she in a thong?

Couldnt possibly have happened in 1920.

Even allowing for the historical inaccuracies I would opine it would depend on who the 'guy' was.

circa 1860 an ordinary 'guy' would have been castigated for turning up for a formal Dinner without a Tail Coat. The, then, Prince if Wales did and look what happened- The Dinner Suit was born and other than it being called a Tuxedo in non-english speaking countries not much has changed.

My DH was in a golf shirt and jacket on Solstice. Didn't look out of place at all with compared to who sat around us... jeans, casual capris, t-shirts, etc.

Interesting , I wore my golf Jacket on Eclipse on the last evening heading back to Miami having our last Sunset gathering on back of the Boat as it had turned a bit chilly and was threatening rain. Even had my Winter Golf Mitts on [emoji41]

Would have found it a bit uncomfortable and hot in the Dining Room though wearing the golf jacket. Fair play to 'DH' though., if it was gore-tex it would have the added advantage of repelling any liquid that a sloppy Waiter or Sommelier might spill.[emoji466]️

.... on the Caribbean cruise is a TUX or suit required for the "formal night" or will a dress shirt and slacks be adequate?

I've asked the question to the mdr management on a few Caribbean & other destination cruises and the answer has always been the same... A jacket is required with trousers & collared shirt... Ties are not a must!

Personally I always take a tie just in case it changes but I've never had to take it out of the jacket pocket! [emoji12]

Enjoy!

Not good advice, You are telling someone not to bring a jackets which may cause them to be denied entry to the Main dining room. As I said, not good advice at all. Have seen dress code enforced many times in Caribbean on Celebrity.

Even in Australia I've seen it enforced.

I never understand why men will wear a jacket but not a suit? Is it the tie issue? My husband doesn't seem to mind taking a suit. The hassle is packing the dress shirt and shoes!

Beats me

A properly fitted shirt and properly tied tie should put no more pressure on the neck than a t shirt with a rounded collar.

Couldnt possibly have happened in 1920.

Even allowing for the historical inaccuracies I would opine it would depend on who the 'guy' was.

circa 1860 an ordinary 'guy' would have been castigated for turning up for a formal Dinner without a Tail Coat. The, then, Prince if Wales did and look what happened- The Dinner Suit was born and other than it being called a Tuxedo in non-english speaking countries not much has changed.

Not sure what you mean by historical inaccuracies. In America, in 1920, people went to the beach wearing bathing suits that by todays standards could be appropriate dress for dinner.

Interesting , I wore my golf Jacket on Eclipse on the last evening heading back to Miami having our last Sunset gathering on back of the Boat as it had turned a bit chilly and was threatening rain. Even had my Winter Golf Mitts on [emoji41]

Would have found it a bit uncomfortable and hot in the Dining Room though wearing the golf jacket. Fair play to 'DH' though., if it was gore-tex it would have the added advantage of repelling any liquid that a sloppy Waiter or Sommelier might spill.[emoji466]️

Golf shirt and sports jacket. His two dress shirts didn't make it back in time from being pressed.

Golf shirt and sports jacket. His two dress shirts didn't make it back in time from being pressed.

Oh i see [emoji12]

Not sure if the Dress Police on here would approve of my Galvin Green GoreTex Golf Jacket - its black and bright Orange [emoji33][emoji33]

Oh i see [emoji12]

Not sure if the Dress Police on here would approve of my Galvin Green GoreTex Golf Jacket - its black and bright Orange [emoji33][emoji33]

Be careful, those American police carry guns, as we all know. Or is gortex bullet proof? Oh no, that's Kevlar, I always get those mixed up.

Astounding there somewhere over 114,00 posts on dress code. Wonder if any other topic generates such passion. Tipping maybe.

There has been all manner of justifications for not following the recommended dress codes. One of the ones I read quite often is "who am I hurting by wearing shorts and flip flops on the formal evening. Physical pain? No. Mental anguish? I guess.

It occurred to me that I haven't heard any comparison to the ship's officers. What would be the reaction to most passengers to see the captain wearing shorts and flip flops around the ship and at his table on a formal night.

Lack of respect? Likely. Astonishment? Definitely.

Yea I know he is a paid employee, you paid for your trip. But take that out of the equation for a minute. You expect a ship's officer to dress a certain way. Maybe many passengers expect other passengers to dress in a manner (MDR, formal nights) that would not generate emotions like lack of respect or astonishment.

On our recent British Isles Cruise, people were nicely dressed, I stayed smart casual (BLU) and all was fine....I did see a few people in very casual shorts and a regular shirt in the theater. I could really care less how people dress on formal night, what makes me sort of turn my head is the people working out in the gym in their "street" clothes and then seeing them out and about on the ship in those same street clothes later on in the day.

Astounding there somewhere over 114,00 posts on dress code. Wonder if any other topic generates such passion. Tipping maybe.

There has been all manner of justifications for not following the recommended dress codes. One of the ones I read quite often is "who am I hurting by wearing shorts and flip flops on the formal evening. Physical pain? No. Mental anguish? I guess.

It occurred to me that I haven't heard any comparison to the ship's officers. What would be the reaction to most passengers to see the captain wearing shorts and flip flops around the ship and at his table on a formal night.

Lack of respect? Likely. Astonishment? Definitely.

Yea I know he is a paid employee, you paid for your trip. But take that out of the equation for a minute. You expect a ship's officer to dress a certain way. Maybe many passengers expect other passengers to dress in a manner (MDR, formal nights) that would not generate emotions like lack of respect or astonishment.

How the Captain or any other officers, crew or staff dress is not how we "expect" them to dress. The Cruise line they work for mandates the uniforms they wear. They do not have a choice. Just like our uniformed military members, police, fire fighters and so on. What ever the uniform of the day or occasion is how they dress. Hell if the Captain dressed like the skipper from Gilligan's Island I could care less. As long as our safety is his priority and gets us to our ports and back home, that's all that matters. We don't care what others Cruisers wear. We always adhere to and follow the simple MDR evening dress guidelines and stay dressed that way the entire evening because we choose to do so only for each other.

Edited by davekathy