Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

First of all, some people save to be able to take a cruise. Secondly, how I spend my money is up to me. I'd rather use that $100 for an excursion. We have been cruising the oceans for 15 years and river cruising a decade or so before that. Perhaps it's because we are not loyal to any one line, and cruise for the ports we don't give a flying fig about the "ambiance". That being said Celebrity's MDR is a notch above most mass market cruislines (at least on the Millennium) but the buffet, in my opinion is by far the worst in the industry, so even though it is a free option if you don't want to dress up, it is a very poor option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't, you're either being facetious or misunderstood the comment.

No the poster has been saying the only way to get out of dressing formally is to pay more (either suite, aqua class or specialty restaurants). That is not true.

Fair enough. We have been on 30 plus cruises on a variety of cruise lines. Only one celebrity cruise though, so perhaps my one Celebrity cruise was an anomaly. But the selection was pathetic and the food was subpar when compared to buffets on other lines. That being said, I have never sailed NCL so they might be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither have we. Willing to gamble on NCL? Neither do we. Obviously our opinion of the buffet on X differs from yours. Are there any particular elements you'd care to share, e.g. Breakfast vs lunch? Hot foods vs cold foods? Beverages? Layout? Selections?

I laugh when I read a comment/complaint about the breakfast buffet that it was the same thing every day. Every kind of egg imaginable, four or five juice selection, waffles, pancakes, French toast. On and on. What possible food or liquid could this person want for breakfast that wasn't available.

That dog won't hunt. People spend thousands of dollars + airfare for a European cruise or transatlantic but think the extra $100 to bring an extra suitcase with their formal wear just plain costs too much. :rolleyes:

What won't hunt is somebody else telling me how I should value $100 of my money. My personal view is that I will fit everything I can into my free baggage allowance and if all baggage is pay per then I will minimise that cost. I will leave it up to my host to decide if what I bring or wear is suitable for formal and respect their decision without complaint or argument.

An interesting aside. It appears that people who dine in Blu or the specialties but also dress formally on formal night because they choose to do so do not have their meal or ambiance ruined by those without jackets sitting close by. People are using the rule as an excuse to get all worked up here when it is only a suggestion and the decision on how others fit that suggested code is after all up to the rule maker.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Stop all formal nights. Just my opinion. Times have changed..

they have cruises like that. Suggest you take them and enjoy. Many people love to celebrate special occasions, and very much enjoy what they like. I would hate to see formal nights disappear, simply because we get a lot of pleasure sharing the joy of others who love to dress to the 9's. The fact that the better cruise lines continue them shows they listen to their loyal cruisers. I think they want to appeal to the people who most support their investment.

Why is it some people think their individual opinion should carry so much weight for everyone else? Seems to be something in the New York water. Bloomberg a wonderful case in point! Lol :-)

Edited by benchdex
Typo

So are his pants so is he wearing a tux or a dinner jacket and slacks? I can't imagine why Celebrity would distinguish between the two categories. I think it's very easy to understand what I said but if you are playing "gotcha" enjoy yourself.:D

Many Brits will know this, but some Americans will be surprised to know that men who showed up for dinner (not just on a cruise) in a tux when formality was expected, were considered under dressed. The Tux was a new innovation and raised a lot of eyebrows. It was not considered proper formal dinner attire and not up to standard during the afternoon either. In a decade or so, the tux gained some respectability, to the point it is considered appropriate formal wear. The grey striped morning suit was what a gentleman wore in England (and in America in high society of the time). The newfangled Tuxedo or Tux was OK for a picnic.

People of just a couple of decades ago would be shocked at what passes for "formal" today. Even more, if they saw some people balk at even the greatly watered down rules. Very few restaurants in the U.S. are able to uphold even the simplest dress codes.

I did see one restaurant recently that brought joy when I saw a discreet sign saying that they had an area in a back hallway where texting and mobile phone calls were permitted, but are not permitted at the tables, in consideration for the other patrons. Three cheers!

No the poster has been saying the only way to get out of dressing formally is to pay more (either suite, aqua class or specialty restaurants). That is not true.

And I was only commenting on your post about paying in the buffet,I stand behind what I said.

Edited by dkjretired

Many Brits will know this, but some Americans will be surprised to know that men who showed up for dinner (not just on a cruise) in a tux when formality was expected, were considered under dressed.

If this is true, I doubt "Many Brits" will know this - despite what people might learn from Downton Abbey or Hugh Grant movies most of us did not have formal dress history as part of our education.

......... Very few restaurants in the U.S. are able to uphold even the simplest dress codes.

The times they are a changin

And I was only commenting on your post about paying in the buffet,I stand behind what I said.

Apparently you are missing my point...I'll repeat the poster said you had to pay more for the privilege of not dressing up and I wondered why since you don't have to pay extra to not dress up and have room service or eat in the buffet. I have no idea what you thought I meant. Apparently my sarcasm was missed. :D

Apparently you are missing my point...I'll repeat the poster said you had to pay more for the privilege of not dressing up and I wondered why since you don't have to pay extra to not dress up and have room service or eat in the buffet. I have no idea what you thought I meant. Apparently my sarcasm was missed. :D

You should have said that instead of possibly having those who don't know any better think you have to pay for the buffet. I guess as I said you were being facetious.

Many Brits will know this, but some Americans will be surprised to know that men who showed up for dinner (not just on a cruise) in a tux when formality was expected, were considered under dressed. The Tux was a new innovation and raised a lot of eyebrows. It was not considered proper formal dinner attire and not up to standard during the afternoon either. In a decade or so, the tux gained some respectability, to the point it is considered appropriate formal wear. The grey striped morning suit was what a gentleman wore in England (and in America in high society of the time). The newfangled Tuxedo or Tux was OK for a picnic.

People of just a couple of decades ago would be shocked at what passes for "formal" today. Even more, if they saw some people balk at even the greatly watered down rules. Very few restaurants in the U.S. are able to uphold even the simplest dress codes.

I did see one restaurant recently that brought joy when I saw a discreet sign saying that they had an area in a back hallway where texting and mobile phone calls were permitted, but are not permitted at the tables, in consideration for the other patrons. Three cheers!

Sorry but this History lesson is incorrect .

It is correct that until about 1860 , formal attire was coats with tails. This however changed when the (them ) Prince of Wales , later to become Edward VII, commissioned a Dinner Suit without tails. His suit was blue. The style was soon copied although few if any dared to copy the blu and stuck with Black. Note that it was and still is referred to as a Dinner Suit , comprising of a Dinner Jacket and matching trousers. Generally speaking his formal attire hasnt changed a lot.

Where the post is incorrect is using the 'Tuxedo' as if it was the original. The term ( really an American word that was until recently a slang word) came about as a result of Edward's new fashion drifting over the water to the USA. The suit was first seen in Tuxedo Park hence the term .

Regrettably the term 'Tuxedo' is slowly becoming part of the English Language although purists like me disapprove (aka boring old fa*ts [emoji32])

To me its like calling the Open Championship the ' British Open' or The Masters the 'US Masters' - simply wrong [emoji32][emoji32][emoji636][emoji636]

Just found a good cruise with Celebrity X more less on the Infinity for a caribbean one

I just read it is a very formal cruise? traditional? have to dress up nice all the time?

or one can be on barefoot and shorts whole time still? feedback please

There will be formal nights, but if you want to stay in shorts you can always eat in the buffet on those evenings. the other nights in the MDR are smart casual. You can never go barefoot in any of the restaurants, not should you. You can also eat at the pool grill, if you want to stay outside and eat in shorts or swim suit and be barefoot. Enjoy

I'm a very casual person and I love Celebrity, however here is a list of things I would never do on a Celebrity cruise which I might do on (for instance) Carnival.

1. Eat in the MDR on formal nights

2. Wear shorts or a t-shirt to any restaurant in the evening

3. Walk around indoors at any time in only a swimsuit and/or barefoot

4. Wear shorts to the theatre in the evening (well, maybe)

5. Wear a sleeveless t-shirt anywhere (but that's pretty much a life rule for me)

Apart from that it's wear what you want.

I'm a very casual person and I love Celebrity, however here is a list of things I would never do on a Celebrity cruise which I might do on (for instance) Carnival.

1. Eat in the MDR on formal nights

2. Wear shorts or a t-shirt to any restaurant in the evening

3. Walk around indoors at any time in only a swimsuit and/or barefoot

4. Wear shorts to the theatre in the evening (well, maybe)

5. Wear a sleeveless t-shirt anywhere (but that's pretty much a life rule for me)

Apart from that it's wear what you want.

Why not eat in MDR on formal nights, as long as you dress to code.

Sleeveless t-shirt is fine by the pool.

Why not eat in MDR on formal nights, as long as you dress to code.

Sleeveless t-shirt is fine by the pool.

Because I don't like the code :)

I don't even own a "sports" jacket or any pants better than black jeans, hence I avoid the MDR out of respect for those who might have their sensibilities offended by my smart casual dress.

As for sleeveless t-shirts - I guess by the pool is fine but some people feel that makes them OK in the buffet too. Anyway, no more on that - leave it for the dress code thread.

I don't even own a "sports" jacket or any pants better than black jeans, hence I avoid the MDR out of respect for those who might have their sensibilities offended by my smart casual dress.

As for sleeveless t-shirts - I guess by the pool is fine but some people feel that makes them OK in the buffet too. Anyway, no more on that - leave it for the dress code thread.

No worries I obviously misunderstood what you were saying about the MDR.

I am sailing on the Celebrity Solstice from Honolulu to Sydney on 2nd October. Can anyone tell me what passengers on formal nights mostly were. Is it tux or suits. Dont want to be the odd one.

Cheers

Aboutv80% suits, 10% tuxes 10% other roughly.

I am sailing on the Celebrity Solstice from Honolulu to Sydney on 2nd October. Can anyone tell me what passengers on formal nights mostly were. Is it tux or suits. Dont want to be the odd one.

Cheers

I can't wait to be the odd one on my upcoming Silhouette cruise!

Irony: Saying to "leave it for the dress code thread" while commenting on dress code in a different thread.

:D