Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I believe everything you said however you should know that Celebrity phone customer service has for many years been notorious for giving incorrect info. This individual was just plain wrong.

Thank you. I had a feeling he was just telling me about his own opinion, and not that of the cruise line.

I sympathise. I was quite taken aback by that reply to your post! If you scroll back through this thread there are several people who declare they know about etiquette, but clearly don't know enough about good manners! I wouldn't want to be stuck on a table with them! 😔

Thank you. I was taken aback by that reply too.

One of those dress codes seems less clear than the other. One states men's dress should comprise Dinner Suit or Tuxedo. No mention of Dark Suit or suit. If you'd never been on a cruise before and didn't know about Cruise Critic and read that you'd incorrectly assume that was all that was allowed. The second introduces "suit" not just dark suit. It also says "includes" which implies a wider range will be acceptable.

I disagree that these are basically the same. Many people, particularly those new to cruising, I doubt have a tuxedo or dinner suit in their wardrobe, but will probably have a perfectly acceptable smart suit. Some may be put off at the thought that they "must" buy or rent a Dinner Suit in order to comply with the dress code when according to different guidance put out by Celebrity that isn't the case.

The lack of the mention of something ( e.g. Tie) doesn't mean that something shouldn't be worn, who is interpreting that way? Many people these days are completely comfortable with the concept of dressing smartly / for work in a suit without a tie. I used to have about 100 ties I now have about 20 the rest have gone to the charity shop.

As I said, most people know what the word "formal" means and do their best to comply. They don't need to make excuses and if they don't feel like dressing up they just choose another option than the main dining room. The problem is easily solved for most.

Why are people so concerned by what others are wearing? I'm a bit like the queen I rarely notice nor care care what others are wearing. Sadly donning a dinner suit rarely has the desired effect, unless your on your own yacht

Wow, all of this is a bit daunting! With so many interpretations and guidelines, my DH is not going to have fun. He hates wearing suits and ties, and we travel with light carry-ons so we'd prefer not to have a suit take up half our packing space!

Am I correct in interpreting this: As long as we don't go near the MDR on formal nights, he will be okay with nice shoes, trousers and button-up or polo shirts?

Why are people so concerned by what others are wearing? I'm a bit like the queen I rarely notice nor care care what others are wearing. Sadly donning a dinner suit rarely has the desired effect, unless your on your own yacht

at the risk of being attacked by the dress code police ( who also seem to be the tipping inspectorate on other threads) I would like to echo the sentiments of this post.

at the risk of being attacked by the dress code police ( who also seem to be the tipping inspectorate on other threads) I would like to echo the sentiments of this post.

There are no dress police or tipping police, just people trying to answer questions for the most part. If you check this thread that is what you will see with some exceptions.

It would appear that HAL has dropped formal nights, for all intents & purposes. They still call it "Gala" night, but a jacket is not required, just long pants & collared shirt, as in dockers & a golf shirt. Tuxes & suits are listed as appropriate, but not required. I always considered HAL, Princess, & Celebrity to be more similar than different, I wonder if either will follow suit?

I do really care what people wear, at least on formal nights. Formal nights have been around since the Titantic. It is what has made cruising a unique experience.

Too many people are trying to drag cruising down to the Club Med level. I say if you want to dress for dinner like a third world ragamuffin then go to Sandals in Jamaica.

When one selects a cruise as a vacation one is expected to follow, at least to a minimum, the appropriate dress codes.

That said, I don't have a problem with gentlemen wearing slacks, collared dress shirt and dress shoes on a formal night. Based on my observations most Matire D's won't either. It's the yokel that tries to enter wearing wrinkled, once were clean, cargo shorts, tee shirt with a cute saying and of course a ball cap worn backwards.

To me the dress code extends far beyond formal nights in the MDR. Some of my pet peeves are:

Shirtless men in from the pool in the buffet particularly (shudder) men in speedos.

Men, women, and children of any age wearing a bathrobe anywhere outside their cabin or totally within the confines of the spa.

Men or women with curlers in their hair in the buffet late afternoons.

Sleeveless tee shirts, aka wife beaters, anywhere outside of ones cabin. We know your tats are cute but come on now. I never could see the attraction of this kind of underwear worn publicly unless one is stoop sitting in Bklyn.

Men, women, children of any age who run to their cabin after dinner on formal nights to change into cargo shorts and a raggy tee shirt. I'm the first one to take off my tie but at least stay dressed. So odd to see half the passengers dressed to the nines while the other half look they just mowed the lawn.

We started cruising in the early nineties where dress codes, behavior code of conduct were seen almost everywhere. Since cruises have become more affordable and popular it has attracted a segment of our population that suscribes to the following:

It's my vacation, I paid for it, and I'll wear whatever I damn well please wherever I damn well please and if you don't like it pound salt.

It would appear that HAL has dropped formal nights, for all intents & purposes. They still call it "Gala" night, but a jacket is not required, just long pants & collared shirt, as in dockers & a golf shirt. Tuxes & suits are listed as appropriate, but not required. I always considered HAL, Princess, & Celebrity to be more similar than different, I wonder if either will follow suit?

Excellent information. HAL just moved up a few notches in my opinion.

Many of us have thought Celebrity would have done this a couple of years ago. I think we will get some surprises with the restaurants on the new ships along with elimination of formal nights.

It's my vacation, I paid for it, and I'll wear whatever I damn well please wherever I damn well please and if you don't like it pound salt.

Unless it involves kids in the Solarium pool. Then you better make sure your brats follow the rules and pass quietly through the room for only as long as is necessary for them to get between whichever elevator they were pressing all of the buttons on and whatever bank of stairs they're congregating on to be noisy and in the way of important, paying passengers.

Unless it involves kids in the Solarium pool. Then you better make sure your brats follow the rules and pass quietly through the room for only as long as is necessary for them to get between whichever elevator they were pressing all of the buttons on and whatever bank of stairs they're congregating on to be noisy and in the way of important, paying passengers.

For the record you only included a portion of my post that could be misleading to others. Your extraction, it's my vacation etc., was how a lot of people feel when ignoring some or all of shipboard dress and behavior codes. Was not my personal feelings.

Children are allowed in the Solarium now at set times on selected cruises, it's been reported that the cold Northern European cruises (where outside pools might be unusable ) are where it happens most during poor weather

For the record you only included a portion of my post that could be misleading to others. Your extraction, it's my vacation etc., was how a lot of people feel when ignoring some or all of shipboard dress and behavior codes. Was not my personal feelings.

You are indeed correct, and I apologize for any insinuation others may take that is your view due to my sloppy editing. I did try to edit it, but the time had passed already. I simply wanted to add on to your own observation mine that some folks believe some rules (dress codes) don't apply to them or anyone else who opts out, while other rules must be absolute and inviolable (kids in Solarium or Murano for dinner), and that there are even some crazy "unwritten rules" that should be followed (like not allowing a kid to sit at the martini bar).

The "why should anyone's dress bother you" meme extends to all those, provided they're not an actual disruption to your vacation, yes? Why should a well-behaved child in any venue be at all different than a sloppily dressed adult at a formal function?

I do know that some itineraries and conditions do open the Solarium in certain hours--That's ignoring the point. The point is it's tough to ride a high horse that it's okay to break the dress code rules while maintaining that other rules that apply to other people must always be followed. IIRC from college, this is referred to as cognitive dissonance.

Edited by 6502programmer

Many of us have thought Celebrity would have done this a couple of years ago. I think we will get some surprises with the restaurants on the new ships along with elimination of formal nights.

I agree, if any changes are coming, they'll come with the new ships.

The thing is, HAL did not offer a great deal of choices if you didn't want to dress formal, pretty much buffet only, whereas Celebrity has so many options.

I do think that this is where Celebrity is heading, you'd be hard put to find a photo of a passenger in a tux or gown on any of their promotional material or website.

I have a question that I've not seen addressed. What about the LGBT community? The dress code is very specific about is appropriate for men and women but what if I'm a man who identifies as a female? The dress code wouldn't allow for me wear a dress or as a woman who identifies as a man can I wear a tux? Or slacks and sports jacket? The dress code doesn't allow for this either. In the U.S. The PC police should sue! And if i'mnot transgender am I discriminated against because I'm not. What if as a woman I want to wear slacks and jacket? Or what if my hubby wants to wear slacks and a sparkly top without a jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As evidenced on these boards there is still a strong culture of people who adhere to the formal code. There is also a strong push to get rid of the code altogether.

However I would say that the vast majority of passengers are happy to participate in formal evenings so long as "formal" wear includes what they would normally wear to the average wedding, and this is pretty much how things work on board.

I actually think that the majority of posters on these boards hold positions that are not so different from each other. Most of those who like formal nights are happy to cut people a bit of slack so long as they make an effort and adhere to at least the spirit of the formal dress code. This who don't like formal will make that effort even if it doesn't involve true formal wear as defined by the code.

However there are the occasional troublemakers on both sides who want to mount their indignation steeds and charge into battle. Ever it was so and ever it will be so long as dress codes still exist. Fortunately the battle is waged here and usually not at sea.

I do really care what people wear, at least on formal nights. Formal nights have been around since the Titantic. It is what has made cruising a unique experience.

Too many people are trying to drag cruising down to the Club Med level. I say if you want to dress for dinner like a third world ragamuffin then go to Sandals in Jamaica.

When one selects a cruise as a vacation one is expected to follow, at least to a minimum, the appropriate dress codes.

That said, I don't have a problem with gentlemen wearing slacks, collared dress shirt and dress shoes on a formal night. Based on my observations most Matire D's won't either. It's the yokel that tries to enter wearing wrinkled, once were clean, cargo shorts, tee shirt with a cute saying and of course a ball cap worn backwards.

To me the dress code extends far beyond formal nights in the MDR. Some of my pet peeves are:

Shirtless men in from the pool in the buffet particularly (shudder) men in speedos.

Men, women, and children of any age wearing a bathrobe anywhere outside their cabin or totally within the confines of the spa.

Men or women with curlers in their hair in the buffet late afternoons.

Sleeveless tee shirts, aka wife beaters, anywhere outside of ones cabin. We know your tats are cute but come on now. I never could see the attraction of this kind of underwear worn publicly unless one is stoop sitting in Bklyn.

Men, women, children of any age who run to their cabin after dinner on formal nights to change into cargo shorts and a raggy tee shirt. I'm the first one to take off my tie but at least stay dressed. So odd to see half the passengers dressed to the nines while the other half look they just mowed the lawn.

We started cruising in the early nineties where dress codes, behavior code of conduct were seen almost everywhere. Since cruises have become more affordable and popular it has attracted a segment of our population that suscribes to the following:

You have just hit the nail on the proverbial. The only people dressing for dinner on the titanic were the upper class passengers and they were not dressing for dinner because they were on a ship, it was always expected regardless of where you were dining. Thankfully times have changed, we no longer do it. i know for some, formal night is the only chance they get to dress up and that's sad, but spare a thought for those who have to dress up five days a week, plus evenings. Holidays mean different things to different people. I suppose you will be one of the people who welcome the shift towards a two tier system as they say you pays your money and you take your choice.

I love formal nights... Do you recall when all cruisers participated in formal dress.. Times have changed and people want options. If you don't want to dress up then don't but I love dressing up especially since there aren't many "dress up" occasions anymore. BTW my husband loves to dress up formally as well with his white dinner jacket... Looking forward to my 14 night cruise aboard the Millennium..

There seem to be a few men that don't know what a dinner jacket is and interpret it to be a sport coat. It is a tuxedo jacket of a different color than black.

One has one's facts a bit mixed up.

The earliest reference to a Dinner Suit was in Britain in 1860. The then Prince of Wales commissioned a Dinner Suit to replace the traditional long tailed jacket. His was Blue but others who took up the style didnt dare to copy the prince so kept with Black which has been the tradition ever since, White Jackets were often worn by the Navy Officers.

The slang 'Tuxedo' came in once the new style of Dinner Suit drifted across the pond . it first came to prominence at 'Tuxedo Park Club ' in New York, hence the 'American English' term sadly beginning to creep in to the home of the English language.

Edited by LA_Design

As evidenced on these boards there is still a strong culture of people who adhere to the formal code. There is also a strong push to get rid of the code altogether.

However I would say that the vast majority of passengers are happy to participate in formal evenings so long as "formal" wear includes what they would normally wear to the average wedding, and this is pretty much how things work on board.

I actually think that the majority of posters on these boards hold positions that are not so different from each other. Most of those who like formal nights are happy to cut people a bit of slack so long as they make an effort and adhere to at least the spirit of the formal dress code. This who don't like formal will make that effort even if it doesn't involve true formal wear as defined by the code.

However there are the occasional troublemakers on both sides who want to mount their indignation steeds and charge into battle. Ever it was so and ever it will be so long as dress codes still exist. Fortunately the battle is waged here and usually not at sea.

Gotta agree.