Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

The dress code on smart casual nights and in the specialty restaurants every night is "smart casual and above." Many people take advantage of the "and above" portion so no one should feel ashamed if they decide to dress up.

Thanks. We will be in Blu for our eastern med cruise later this month and are tempted to bring something formal. Although the Tux would probably be worn without a tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this thread will get rolled up to the dress code thread in short order.

My answer is if you can afford to cruise, you should be able to afford to pay for luggage. If that $50 baggage fee (free on Southwest for anyone doing caribbean cruises and is from the USA) is going to ruin a budget, you frankly shouldn't be traveling. Sticking a jacket and nice pair of pants and a pair of dress shoes doesn't add much at all to a suitcase, let's be honest here.

Additionally, there are cruise lines that do formal, others that don't, so the choice is really which line to cruise, not how much luggage can be brought.

Should cruise lines still require formal /suits ie or country casual since airlines are now downsizing the carry on size suit case ?

What is your opinion :)

My Opinion...nope. If your carry on doesn't fit in the overhead then you need to check it.

We travel with an extra piece of luggage just for our formal wear. Consider it the cost of cruising. My wife gets to pack extra shoes. ;)

For those who don't like formal nights, there are plenty of other venues -- specialty restaurants, buffet, and/or room service.

My answer is if you can afford to cruise, you should be able to afford to pay for luggage.

Yep, if you can afford one expense, you can afford literally any other arbitrary expense that someone dreams up, because that's how people plan their budgets.

Yep, if you can afford one expense, you can afford literally any other arbitrary expense that someone dreams up, because that's how people plan their budgets.

It's not a dreamt up expense, its an expensive that is typical to travel. I;m not saying one needs to have money to be able to buy a lion hunting permit when they cruise, I'm saying they need to have the ability to cover travel related expenses while traveling, or wait another 6 moths and save a little bit more if they can't afford it.

You have to plan for emergencies, and unknown expenses, you need to have a "cushion".

People hide behind the luggage thing in dress code threads as an excuse. They forget that one can rent formal wear and have it delivered to the cabin. so there's the solution to the luggage problem.

I like formal Nights. Sometimes a tux or white dinner jacket with tux pants. Or if I am feeling especially in need of attention my military mess dress uniform. All with formal shirts complete with studs. Never had a problem with luggage. DW also packs for it. IMO X should enforce the policy in the MDR or do away with it. There are sufficient eating venues for those that don't want to dress up. The formal nights make cruising special. When else would you dress formal? The occasional wedding.

Should cruise lines still require formal /suits ie or country casual since airlines are now downsizing the carry on size suit case ?

What is your opinion :)

My opinion is No, & this is from someone who chooses not to do formal

nights. :)

Celebrity offers a ton of options to people who don't want to dress up, why should people who enjoy it miss out?

We book AQ because we don't really like the MDR atmosphere, but if we found a great last minute deal in a regular balcony, we'd just eat in a specialty or the buffet on those nights, pretty easy to do. :)

My opinion is No, & this is from someone who chooses not to do formal

nights. :)

Celebrity offers a ton of options to people who don't want to dress up, why should people who enjoy it miss out?

We book AQ because we don't really like the MDR atmosphere, but if we found a great last minute deal in a regular balcony, we'd just eat in a specialty or the buffet on those nights, pretty easy to do. :)

If Celebrity changed to a formal option experience then those who like to dress up could enjoy that experience and those who prefer to dress smart casual could enjoy their experience as well. Win/Win for all and all can enjoy the MDR.

Why should cruisers who want to enjoy an upscale cruising experience need to accept a downgraded "win win" experience that erodes the overall cruise experience?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

What is the cost to rent the formal wear?

Also, is formal wear ok in Blu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi here's the link for rentals:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com

& yes, formal wear is fine in Blu, you'll see everything from smart casual to tuxes, gowns, & dinner jackets.

have a great time. :)

It's not a dreamt up expense, its an expensive that is typical to travel. I;m not saying one needs to have money to be able to buy a lion hunting permit when they cruise, I'm saying they need to have the ability to cover travel related expenses while traveling, or wait another 6 moths and save a little bit more if they can't afford it.

You have to plan for emergencies, and unknown expenses, you need to have a "cushion".

People hide behind the luggage thing in dress code threads as an excuse. They forget that one can rent formal wear and have it delivered to the cabin. so there's the solution to the luggage problem.

cle-guy - You and I are on the same page! I don't post that much on Cruise Critic, but read many of the threads on a regular basis. And, you seem to be a person with very reasonable opinions. When you book a cruise on Celebrity, the dress code for formal nights is spelled out fairly clearly, (yes, could have a few more details). However, for someone cruising on Celebrity who doesn't agree with the policy, they have several options. 1) comply with the dress code 2) eat at another venue on formal nights that does not require formal dress 3) cruise another line that does not have a formal night dress code. Maybe I'm old fashion or just "old", but we all have choices and if you do not like the Celebrity formal night dress code, make a different choice. Celebrity is a for profit business, and if people don't like what they offer, don't buy. Ignoring their rules may make some people feel they are making a statement for change, however I feel it is somewhat arrogant to ignore a stated condition of a cruise line's policy. If you haven't guessed, my wife and I enjoy the formal nights!

I find the whole luggage argument a bit silly. If you like formal nights then you will work something out. On the other hand if you don't like formal then it's a convenient excuse, but be honest and admit that's all it is. It's not a showstopper for anyone who WANTS to dress formally.

If you hate formal then book Aqua, book a suite, or book a specialty restaurant for the night. Perhaps grab some food from the buffet and have a feast outside on the deck if you want to do something special. There are plenty of ways of enjoying your evening without participating in formal nights. Forget the lame excuses and just leave the formal gear at home.

We travel on Celebrity often. We also travel with family and close friends. In the past few years, we have noticed fewer men are wearing formal attire. Many have given up ties and jackets. Most wear nice shirts and trousers. While not exactly what I would consider as formal, many men come to MDR that way. Friends of ours asked us if they should bring a jacket for formal night. They are traveling independently before the cruise and are trying to take the absolute minimum. Not packing a jacket would cut down what to pack. It makes sense to me. However, I didn't know what to say. Would they be allowed to dine on formal night in the MDR? What would you suggest?